Menu

I'm making a master list of books of grief, loss, making it through the hard. Would LOVE your help!

FloridaLisa

As some of you may know, my husband died unexpectedly 4 years ago.  I immediately wanted books -- books on what I could expect, how to parent my children in their grief, books to give to my kids. It was actually harder than you'd think to find a really good book on these topics. Maybe because we weren't connected to hospice or other services since his death was sudden  and unexpected. 

People keep asking me for resources and I feel like there must be more out there. I'd love Christian or secular books and resources for adults, teens and children. Maybe something that's helped you or something you're aware of.

Thanks so much!
Lisa

• Like 1

Have not read it, but will be soon.  Greg Laurie's Hope for Hurting Hearts.  Buying it for my mom and my brother.  My nephew committed suicide this holiday season.  It's very hard to get through and must be even harder for my brother since he was his only child.

Edited by shanvan
  • Like 1

Tear Soup: A Recipe for Healing After Loss by Pat Schweibert is a beautifully illustrated children's book. This book was read at my adult grief class, so know it is not just for children. Nicely done!

Also, not so much on grief, but on what to expect for the person dying are 2 books by hospice nurse Maggie Callanan: 

Final Journeys: A Practical Guide for Bringing Care and Comfort at the End of Life 

Final Gifts: Understanding the Special Awareness, Needs and Communications of the Dying

These books helped me greatly, knowing what possibly could be going on in a person's mind who is dying, as well as afterlife. This helped in my grieving by giving me comfort and hope for the person as they left this world. Examples about the presence of others who already have gone before them who wait to guide them to the afterlife are included. 

And who can forget: Heaven is for Real, by Tod Burpo. Again, a story of hope which brings comfort to the grieving...

Great topic, I think it will be helpful to so many!

• Like 3

You all are AWESOME. I knew I'd get a variety from this board because we're living it and we are book people. I'm happy with the wide variety -- for a sibling, loss of a child or miscarriage, devotionals that helped with loss. I'd love a book for teenagers. I ordered one but found it less than when we read through it. 

So, keep adding whatever book you're aware of to this list. I'll be happy to compile them all and re-post. This is actually a great resource to have when you have a friend suddenly in a situation where you'd love to give her a book. That's one reason why I'd like a comprehensive list. 

Thank you all!

• Like 1

I read this one several weeks ago. It is more a chronicle of how the author dealt with grief and had some really interesting viewpoints. It is called Four Funerals and a Wedding.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1938314727/ref=x_gr_w_visstd_sin_t1_test_bb?ie=UTF8&tag=x_gr_w_visstd_sin_t1_test_bb-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1938314727&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2

Edited by VaKim
  • Like 1

y C.S. Lewis:

A Grief Observed (very personal)

The Problem of Pain (more theoretical, about suffering.)

Possibly Two-Part Invention, the Story of a Marriage, by L'Engle.  It talks about her whole marriage, including her husband's death.  It's a nice book about marriage generally.

• Like 3

I recently read Counting by 7s: http://www.churchleaders.com/pastors/pastor-articles/249464-10-leadership-statements-often-come-heart-pride.html?utm_content=buffer771a8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

It is not a religious book nor a 'self-help' book, but it is a wonderful, sad, beautiful, deep, wrenching story about grief. It could be pretty triggering, but also very healing. I would read it first to make sure it is something you think would be helpful, and would make sure you aren't reading it in public (or in a place where you would be embarrassed if you cry). A really beautiful book.

• Like 1

Heaven by Randy Alcorn.  You might not agree with all his conclusions about heaven, but it helps to be able to picture our loved ones in heaven and it makes heaven seem more like a real place.

Also we read Heaven is for Real when my nephew died.  He was really close to our boys so it was a heart-breaking time.  I think anything that makes heaven more real helps.  Heaven changes everything.

• Like 1

As I'm scrolling through, some of these I've heard of, or read, but many I haven't. This is exactly why I wanted to spread the net and find out what's out there. Suggestions like the book by Ann Voskamp and Randy Allcorn's Heaven are great because, though they don't deal with grief specifically, they address a lot of the emotion and questions that come up in grief and loss. 

Please feel free to add to the list, no matter what kind of loss is addressed or what angle the book takes. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

Oh, Mary Beth Chapman's book "Choosing to See" deals with the loss of their daughter who was accidentally killed by their oldest son. It desks with family life, parenting, etc. It is heart wrenching, but also hopeful. Christian content and perspective.

• Like 1

I should have been replying to all of these because there are so many great suggestions.  But I'll start with the last four: 

A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis

Liberating Losses (can't recall the author), but this book really helped a friend of mine who found the death of her spouse a relief after years of being in a bad/abusive (emotionally) relationship with him.    

Ok, that latter is a unique loss for sure.I've met a woman in that position and there was a tremendous amount of guilt along with the other emotions. Thank you for that recommendation. 

Just Enough Light for the Step I'm On: Trusting God in the Tough Times

Ok, I've heard of this but it's been a long time and it might not have bubbled up in a search, so thank you!

Oh, Mary Beth Chapman's book "Choosing to See" deals with the loss of their daughter who was accidentally killed by their oldest son. It desks with family life, parenting, etc. It is heart wrenching, but also hopeful. Christian content and perspective.

I Will Carry You, by Angie Smith was the best book I read after my stillbirth. It is directed towards the loss of a child though.

Awesome. Thanks for the reminder to add these to the list. I haven't read any, but I've heard only good things about both. And JodiSue heartwrenching but HOPEFUL is exactly what I needed/need in a book. Don't just tell me your story. Give me some takeaways that I can apply and some hope that I can cling to when I'm in the hard and can't see the way out. Thank you!

I haven't read this. I loved her book Christy and a couple others -- Something More, I think. Thank you for this suggestion Elizabeth.

You're welcome. She is a great author, I have read many of her books. I have given it to several Widows. One was a friend of my mom's that I actually did not know that well. Her husband died a few months before Christmas. My husband thought I should just send it as a Christmas present, but I had a strong feeling she really needed the book sooner...she sent me a card at Christmas thanking me and said she had read it through 3 times and was on her 4th.

• Like 1

You're welcome. She is a great author, I have read many of her books. I have given it to several Widows. One was a friend of my mom's that I actually did not know that well. Her husband died a few months before Christmas. My husband thought I should just send it as a Christmas present, but I had a strong feeling she really needed the book sooner...she sent me a card at Christmas thanking me and said she had read it through 3 times and was on her 4th.

Oh man, my word this year is RESPOND and what you did is exactly what I was thinking I need to be ready for...to respond when God prompts me to do something and not second guess it. So glad you got that feedback from her that the book had spoken to deeply to her. 

• Like 1

For kids, "When Someone Very Special Dies"  (Book where you draw out your feelings)

"The Invisible String"

When a pet dies, "Dog Heaven" and/or "Cat Heaven" by Cynthia Rylant

Thank you umsami, I used When Someone Very Special Dies with my youngest two. I really liked that it was interactive. Thank you for the other suggestions as well. 

• Like 1