Menu

The Woes of Little Toes

Mom-ninja.

Another inside-out girl here.  I remember having such a hard time with it as a kid (before I figured out the inside-out thing) and how exasperated my parents would get when I would have a sock meltdown.  I have no other sensory issues, just socks.  It took decades but I can now wear most socks but still have to turn athletic socks inside-out.  They have the worst seams!

When socks are absolutely necessary I can get my super sensitive dd to wear the Smartknitkids version. We have tried tons of different ones, including turning them inside out. That worked for me as a kid, but she still insists the shoe pushes the 'bulging seam' back to her foot:(

http://www.smartknitkids.com

Mostly I let her wear what she wants but carry weather appropriate items and socks in my bag so that she can ask if her feet get too cold.

• Like 1

Guest topsyturvy

I wore my socks inside out when I was early elementary age. I eventually outgrew my distaste of the seam. Don't freak out about it too much. It will be okay! :)

I didn't even know one could feel a seam! I think I've only had that happen once or twice when it positioned just right to rub on the top of my little toe. I always just rearrange the sock and move on.

Huh.

A trick that I've learned over the years (as a sock sensitive person myself) is to put the sock on with the seam crooked before putting on your shoe.  Put the seam at the big toe end in between the joint of the toe and the joint of the foot, and the seam by the little toe above the toe so that it squishes into the empty spot in the shoe when you put it on.

When all else fails try multiple socks until you find a pair that feels right that day.  Yes, I still do this  :tongue_smilie: Sock woes are a life-long issues when you have SPD.

• Like 1

Yes, currently he wears his socks inside out. That works sometimes but he still complains about the seam. I also arrange the seam to be crooked but that is hit or miss which requires repeated attempts. 

He is *very* sensitive about all clothing. Basically clothing was invented by the devil.

I ordered some socks from Amazon so we'll see how it goes.   

• Like 1

When socks are absolutely necessary I can get my super sensitive dd to wear the Smartknitkids version. We have tried tons of different ones, including turning them inside out. That worked for me as a kid, but she still insists the shoe pushes the 'bulging seam' back to her foot:(

http://www.smartknitkids.com

Mostly I let her wear what she wants but carry weather appropriate items and socks in my bag so that she can ask if her feet get too cold.

Thank you!

My son who has sensory issues could only wear Target brand socks - I can't remember the exact ones but they had a gold strip at toe area to show size - one gold strip was smaller, two stripes medium, and three stripes large.

Myra

Auro by Gold Toe

They're great socks! My DS loves them too.

• Like 3

I wore my socks inside out when I was early elementary age. I eventually outgrew my distaste of the seam. Don't freak out about it too much. It will be okay! :)

I'm not the one freaking out. Ds does. Big time. I'm the one trying to calm him, and figure out a way to make his clothing work. Can be a smidge frustrating. 

I had similar issues with socks that I have finally fixed by wearing shoes a half size too big or not wearing socks at all.  I think many of my "issues" have faded as I've gotten older too.  I can actually touch wool or fleece clothing/blankets without wanting to retch.  As for brand, people have often recommended Smart Knit but I just can't see spending the $$ on me.

*turning them inside out never worked for me.

I don't remember what we bought and you have some suggestions, so I just want to say BTDT. Ds was (still is at 18) clothing sensitive. Yes, clothes were invented by the devil. Sock seams and tags are evil. When they came out with tagless shirts I did the happiest happy dance. 

He still is picky about socks, tags, and even some tee shirts that have designs on them. If it's a thick design he can feel on the inside, the shirt is a no-go. But he's 18 now and I don't have to find the perfect clothes for him. Want seamless socks? Jeans where the waistband doesn't annoy you? He gets to figure out which ones will work.

You have something to look forward to. If he doesn't outgrow the sensitivity, at least he'll outgrow the need to have you choose his clothes. In the meantime, I feel your pain.

• Like 2

Check shoes, too. For my DD, her shoes need to be a little longer or else the socks push into her feet. Not wider, but longer. So, for cheer shoes, hiking boots, and so on, we look for women's shoes, not kids' because they seem to be narrower at the same length, and go a half size longer.

It won't help much for boys, but seamless hose and tights are actually fairly common, and sometimes putting seamless hose on under a pair of thick socks for hiking, as long as the shoes fit right, can make a world of difference. The funny thing is I loath hose and consider them a tool for the oppression of women, and meanwhile, my DD was practically buying stock in Hanes by age 8!

Something else to consider if your child is very sensory is whether the sock is taking on the shape of foot and is therefore uncomfortable when put on the "wrong" foot. Seams don't usually bother me, but after just a few wearings, my socks have a definite right foot or left foot designation. I absolutely cannot switch them because it is so uncomfortable.