Menu

I have a DUMB nutrition question... (come laugh and mock me...)

FriedClams

Ok. I'm prepared.

I make smoothies every morning now. I take fruit (blueberries, peaches, grapes, etc - all frozen, non sweetened), add unsweetened almond milk and blend. I have a ninja. I keep reading about how bad smoothies are for you ("empty calories") but I'm trying to eat real food. I'm thinking I'm doing the same as eating fruit and drinking a cup of unsweetened almond milk. I'm not juicing, so I should be getting all the fiber and nutrients of the fruit. It's just so much easier to drink my [not that I don't love fruit and spinach but I'm getting a little sick of it as I transition to a real food diet] morning fruit.

Am I correct in my thinking? Or is my ninja depleting the fiber and goodness of my fruit and I'm essentially drinking kind of sour milkshakes?

Laugh on. :-) :-) :-)

If smoothies are bad I'm happier not knowing. When fruit becomes the enemy I just give up. I make mine with fruit, spinach, yogurt, and I even add (gasp) honey. My favorite is strawberry-banana and I generally toss a third, random fruit in there. I like to freeze them in individual portions so I can just dump the bag in the blender and add a little water.

• Like 10

I don't think those kind of smoothies are bad for you.

I think people who make smoothies with fruit, fruit juice, honey/sugar, etc. are drinking way too many carbs- smoothies CAN be healthy.

For what you do, you can add a few tablespoons of almond butter for healthy fat and protein, which will help balance the carbs. You can also use canned coconut milk for more healthy fats.

I make smoothies for my son, I use.... frozen organic berries, frozen banana, whole milk organic yogurt, honey, and chia seeds. These are very good for him... has everything he needs, and he'll actually drink it.

• Like 10

I have never read that smoothies are bad for you.  Maybe if you eat those and nothing else they are not enough?  Perhaps that's what was meant?  I eat fresh kale, fresh carrots, fresh bananas, blueberries, strawberries, etc. as smoothies after just blending them for 30 seconds.  I can't imagine that the 30 second blend takes the nutrients out of them.  I eat way more fruit and veggies this way than I did before.  I eat other things too, of course, such as protein, oatmeal, cooked veggies, etc..   

I'd guess that frozen has a little less nutrients than fresh, but they're still good for you.

Or maybe you've read about the sugar that is naturally in fruit?  I know of a few people who have to stay away from any kind of sugar, even in fruit.

• Like 2

I use a ninja as well.  I make green smoothies out of a big handful of spinach, a quarter avocado, quarter banana and two rings of pineapple along with a quarter cup of unsweetened almond milk and enough water to make it blend.  I'm in Weight Watchers and the ingredients themselves come out to 3 points.  But according to the program if you blend it then it becomes juice and you have to count it as 7 points.  I think that's silly.  So I still count it as 3. 

Like someone said upthread, the Ninja is essentially just chewing your food.  There's no way on Earth that I'd eat spinach for breakfast, so I rationalize it as, I'm getting the nutrition from the veggies rather than eating some sugary cereal. If a smoothie works for you, go for it.  

• Like 3

It is not depleting the nutrients but your body does digest liquid differently than solids so that could affect the amount of nutrients that actually get absorbed. But if it is between drinking your fruits and veggies and not eating them at all I'd say stick with the smoothies. If you can find a way to cut the smoothies out and replacing them with eating your fruits and veggies that is ideal, IMHO. Another issue with smoothies is they are usually to heavy on fruit which is generally not what most people have a problem eating. So they end up having a smoothie heavy on fruit but not much veggies and think they're getting a good amount of veggies.

• Like 3

I think the bad smoothies are from taking out the fiber, adding protein powders, and just getting too much sugar, be it added or in the fruit.  I even think some added sugar is ok, just be moderatte.

Some people go crazy and drink a ton of those things too, and replace other nutrients they should be getting.

• Like 1

My understanding is that juicing removes the fiber and substance which is why it is not the best.  Smoothies you still get that, although as hjffk mentioned in a slightly different form.  As a person who is often without ANY fruit or vegetable consumption :blushing: , the smoothies are a step up for me.  I have one a day though, I don't go overboard.

• Like 4

They're not necessarily bad for you unless you're overdoing it, especially all that sugar. They just aren't giving you the nutritional benefit you think they are. Better to just eat some fruit and veggies every day. There's no need to consume mass quantities of either fruits or vegetables. Just eat them sensibly and there will be no need for juicing.

• Like 2

I make my family one smoothie a day - a healthy one - made with home made plain kefir, chia seeds, frozen acai berries, spirulina powder, kale, frozen mango, frozen strawberries. I will not eat most of those ingredients normally (though I eat a lot of other veggies and fruit). So, I consider that smoothie as a way to diversify my family's diet and sneak in some superfoods.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1

Thank you all so much!!! I do eat salad and veg later in the day, and usually only fruit in the morning (and an apple later as part of a snack). As part of the 100 Days of Real Food challenge I'll trying to eat 2 fruit or veg before I eat anything else, so smoothies are my breakfast go-to now. Thank you for the encouragement (and the shocking lack of mockery!!). :-)

• Like 7

Now, if I could get myself to like bananas I could try out some of the greener smoothies. I just hate them though. I've added some spinach to my fruit smoothies, and I'm going to try the almond butter. I've found grapes to be the best sweetener around!!

I used to make smoothies with frozen berries, almond butter, dates and coconut milk... they were really good.

Now, if I could get myself to like bananas I could try out some of the greener smoothies. I just hate them though. I've added some spinach to my fruit smoothies, and I'm going to try the almond butter. I've found grapes to be the best sweetener around!!

mix in some baby kale or baby collards to your spinach (keep the quantity of greens the same, just diversify the greens) and add in a small amount (a really small amount) of spirulina powder and any smoothie will take on a healthy green tint :) I add a banana or a peeled apple if I feel that the greens are overpowering me (this would be the same banana or apple that I would have eaten later anyway). Other healthy things to add to your smoothie would be wheatgrass, flax seeds, dates, peanut butter (we don't do this because of allergies, but it is supposedly yummy) - and add a teaspoon of vanilla essence to enhance the flavor!

Edited by mathnerd

I think it comes down to moderation versus excess. I have read somewhere that green smoothies in excess can disrupt potassium balance. One smoothie a day good quality fruit and no added sugar would probably not hurt you. Some people think that something considered healthy can be eaten all day long or in huge quantities. As anything, if taken to excess, even a good thing becomes not so good anymore.

• Like 1

Have you tried a banana in your smoothie? Because my dd hate banana with a fiery passion but is fine with it in a smoothie

• Like 3

It's fine. You aren't depleting the nutrients.  Keep an eye on the sugar, because that is the problem with smoothies.  I say that as a dedicated 2X a day smoothie fan. And good for you for using the unsweetened almond milk, that really cuts down on the sugar.

For example, don't do what my mom's husband does: he blends a couple bananas into a lot orange juice, he fills the vitamix container, and drinks it down. He insists its healthy because it's a "smoothie".  It's a sugar bomb, and we all bite our tongues b/c he's almost 80 and he's not going to change. He's also put on quite a lot of weight, lol.

I personally don't put more than half a cup or 50g of fruit into my smoothies and I only eat 'northern fruit' (apples, pears) and berries. I don't eat tropical fruit b/c it is very high in sugar. I use stevia sweetened whey powder in my smoothies to add protein. But I am counting carbs, so it's more of an issue for me.

I used to make all veggie smoothies using low sodium tomato juice as the base.  Those were really good. But, alas, too high in carbs for me right now.

Try adding baked sweet potato to a smoothie as a 'fruit'. It's really good! Same with pumpkin.

My favorite smoothie of the day is first thing in the morning: 2 cups of coffee and 2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder, lol.  I am so freaking lame when it comes to breakfast, and that is the most I can handle.

Your smoothie sounds like it's nice and healthy.  

Ones that aren't so good often start with a container of sugar sweetened yogurt, adding in fruit (often sweetened fruit like a strawberry puree that has sugar) and then adding a banana, a few spoons of sugar, and maybe some sweetened peanut butter.  That's just a sugar bomb. Ha- one of my friends who does Beachbody is adding a tablespoon of jello instant pudding mix to his smoothies to make it thicker. That's not healthy!   

Your smoothie sounds like it's nice and healthy.  

Ones that aren't so good often start with a container of sugar sweetened yogurt, adding in fruit (often sweetened fruit like a strawberry puree that has sugar) and then adding a banana, a few spoons of sugar, and maybe some sweetened peanut butter.  That's just a sugar bomb. Ha- one of my friends who does Beachbody is adding a tablespoon of jello instant pudding mix to his smoothies to make it thicker. That's not healthy!   

barf

Hasn't he heard of xantham gum?  I bought it in the 'gluten free baking' part of the super market for not much $$ and it works like a charm to thicken smoothies.  I add about 1/4-1/2 tsp  to a pint smoothie, depending on how I am feeling. 

It is made by Bob's Red Mill and cost me less than 10$ for a bag.  It will prob last me a year

• Like 2

barf

Hasn't he heard of xantham gum?  I bought it in the 'gluten free baking' part of the super market for not much $$ and it works like a charm to thicken smoothies.  I add about 1/4-1/2 tsp  to a pint smoothie, depending on how I am feeling. 

It is made by Bob's Red Mill and cost me less than 10$ for a bag.  It will prob last me a year

Um...to be honest, I don't think he's really into the whole healthy eating thing. I think he just loves to work out and since he's young and has a good metabolism he doesn't realize how adding jello pudding mix  throws off the numbers.  It more than doubles the sugars in the shake according to what he posted! He said the shakeology has 6 grams of sugar and he adds 8 more with jello. Um....nope...not good.  

Um...to be honest, I don't think he's really into the whole healthy eating thing. I think he just loves to work out and since he's young and has a good metabolism he doesn't realize how adding jello pudding mix  throws off the numbers.  It more than doubles the sugars in the shake according to what he posted! He said the shakeology has 6 grams of sugar and he adds 8 more with jello. Um....nope...not good.  

I don't think a lot of the body-building culture is really interested in health - a lot of the stuff they eat is super-processed.

• Like 3

I don't think a lot of the body-building culture is really interested in health - a lot of the stuff they eat is super-processed.

I didn't know that. But I guess I should have.  When I initially started working with a trainer he asked what I snacked on and one of the things I like is half a small avocado.  He suggested I drop that 'because it's not a healthy choice' and tried to sell me some protein powder.   

• Like 2

It's not a stupid question. If you're concerned that you're not getting enough fiber with it - or just generally! - then why not use that smoothie to swallow a fiber supplement?  Or add the supplement right to the smoothie, not in pill form. A gram of psyllium husk or inulin is not going to dramatically alter the taste or texture of the smoothie, and if it makes you less concerned, all righty then.

I didn't know that. But I guess I should have.  When I initially started working with a trainer he asked what I snacked on and one of the things I like is half a small avocado.  He suggested I drop that 'because it's not a healthy choice' and tried to sell me some protein powder.   

He suggested I drop that 'because it's not a healthy choice' 'because I can't make money off of that' and tried to sell me some protein powder.  

I fixed it for you, lol

• Like 17

I think there is a lot of variation between individual metabolism so too. I think what the original poster does is fine and working for her. I don't like milkshakes being sold by some chains being called smoothies by whispering the word strawberry over the cup. I drink berries, avocado and spinach in water or almond milk. Works for me. My super skinny 14yo gets putter, ice cream, yogurt, and banana. Not what I'd recommend for a middle aged woman. Do what works for you.

Ok. I'm prepared.

I make smoothies every morning now. I take fruit (blueberries, peaches, grapes, etc - all frozen, non sweetened), add unsweetened almond milk and blend. I have a ninja. I keep reading about how bad smoothies are for you ("empty calories") but I'm trying to eat real food. I'm thinking I'm doing the same as eating fruit and drinking a cup of unsweetened almond milk. I'm not juicing, so I should be getting all the fiber and nutrients of the fruit. It's just so much easier to drink my [not that I don't love fruit and spinach but I'm getting a little sick of it as I transition to a real food diet] morning fruit.

Am I correct in my thinking? Or is my ninja depleting the fiber and goodness of my fruit and I'm essentially drinking kind of sour milkshakes?

Laugh on. :-) :-) :-)

I have never heard that the fiber escapes during the blending process. All those fruits have some fiber, though grapes have a lot of sugar, they still have redeeming qualities. You aren't losing protein or vitamins during that process either.

I agree with you that you are doing the same thing as eating fruit and drinking unsweetened almond milk.

Have you tried a banana in your smoothie? Because my dd hate banana with a fiery passion but is fine with it in a smoothie

I'm the opposite.  I love a not overly ripe banana, fresh from the peel, but in a smoothie all banana does is add the texture of snot.

I also hate banana bread, or any form of banana other than plain uncooked/blended banana. 

One of my reluctant smoothie-drinking friends said it this way, "As long as it has a banana in it. I can gag back any kind of smoothie as long as there's a banana in it."

• Like 1

I can't drink the banana.

I cannot with a fox.

I cannot wearing socks.

I cannot with a bear.

I cannot in a chair.

I cannot...I will not drink banana anywhere.

(Sorry!!!)

But, I'll try the greens and almond butter!! And I'll measure better! I'll make sure no sugar is added. :-) And, I'll eat banana bread! :-)

• Like 5

I think smoothies are bad refers to the commercial type which are mostly juice or yoghurt. I guess anything that is puréed is going to break down a little faster in your gut maybe but nutritionally you should be getting the same stuff as long as it is all puréed whole food.

You know I think the bad rap comes for those smoothies whose base is ice cream. Not that I would know anything about those.

• Like 2

A lower sugar smoothie, involves strawberries, cucumber, spinach and I like it with coconut milk. Unfortunately, I only like that in the summer.

No, the fiber doesn't turn into something else because it's blended. I find a well balanced smoothie quite filling, and a guaranteed method for getting my high school athletes a High protein breakfast. Which reminds me, I need to pull out my homemade V-8 recipe...

Right now, we have a vanilla cappuccino protein drink (milk, espresso, whey powder, vanilla and stevia). Finally found a mixture my 16yo and 13 yo both like, that we can make the night before a 5am practice.

I can't drink the banana.

I cannot with a fox.

I cannot wearing socks.

I cannot with a bear.

I cannot in a chair.

I cannot...I will not drink banana anywhere.

(Sorry!!!)

But, I'll try the greens and almond butter!! And I'll measure better! I'll make sure no sugar is added. :-) And, I'll eat banana bread! :-)

If you detest banana but still want some smooth creaminess, try avocado.  I usually hate avocado, I can't eat them plain.  But I can't taste them in a smoothie and they are good for you so I sneak them in there.

My thoughts with the "smoothies are bad for you" line of thinking was really talking about going to a Smoothie shop where they're likely filled with sugar or thickeners. But otherwise, I think smoothies are good for you! I try to have a smoothie for breakfast at least a few times a week and I've felt a lot better health-wise since starting that. I usually use water instead of milk though. 

A smoothie you make at home with fruits, greens, and some nut butter is healthy as you are still getting all the fiber.

Juice is empty calories and the fruit smoothie you get at Starbucks or those other smoothie places that use jelly and sugar are empty calories.

It also depends on whether you are adding the smoothie on top of what you are already eating. It reminds me of the guy who coudn't understand why he wasn't losing weight when he was taking diet shakes 3 times a day - before breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• Like 1

We have smoothies here-no veggies in our smoothies though. We eat our veggies instead of drink them.

I think the damage smoothies can do is related to the sugar in the yogurt & the large quantity of fruit that can get added. If you're drinking more fruit in a sitting that you could/should typically eat in a sitting - then you've increased your sugar load, even though you're trying to do a good thing. Fruits are good, but not too much, y'know. Also, some fruits are a better choice than others. They're not all created equal :).

Our favorite is handful of blueberries, plain kefir (I love it when I can get it from a local farmer!), flax, banana for the kids-no banana for the parents. We don't add additional sweetener. Everyone enjoys them & I don't feel it's nutritionally much different than plain whole-fat greek yogurt with blueberries stirred in & flax sprinkled over, which we also enjoy for breakfast sometimes. 

Re: spinach for breakfast ~ let me just say ~ my favorite breakfast is a handful of sauteed (in water) spinach & mushrooms with fermented kraut & one egg. It is the most delicious & satisfying way to start my day. If you'd have asked me a few years ago about veggies (esp. spinach!) for breakfast I would have scoffed. It really has been a change that was worth making.

• Like 2