Menu

SHERLOCK!!!! tonight, PBS?

JFSinIL

Ugh. I have a ticket to see it Wednesday in the theatre but I didn't know it was streaming. Now I'm debating on whether to get my $17.50 (!!!!) back and just watch online. That was a lot of money for one stinkin ticket.

Ugh. I have a ticket to see it Wednesday in the theatre but I didn't know it was streaming. Now I'm debating on whether to get my $17.50 (!!!!) back and just watch online. That was a lot of money for one stinkin ticket.

It is a lot, but man, those beautiful BBC period costumes will look A-MAZING that big!  I think the $ would have been worth it to see Wolf Hall, had it been an option.

DH once took the boys to see a Doctor Who thing on the big screen and it ended up being super fun. They had already seen whatever it was, but they still had a great time watching with fellow fans.

• Like 2

I think there's extra footage in the theatre.  I can't remember where I read that, though, so I can't confirm what it is.

Also, PBS tends to compress BBC shows -- cut minutes and speed up the track.  REALLY annoying.  I'd rather see it at the pace it's supposed to be with all the bits intact.

• Like 1

Wait so will it only be streaming, or will it be available to watch online afterward like the regular show is after it airs?

I found this on the web streaming page. Looks like it won't be available to watch on demand until Jan 11:

See the full episode online January 11-24, 2016.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/live-stream/sherlock-abominable-bride/

Edited by Word Nerd

If I want to live stream it rather than watch it live on TV, I can just do it directly from a computer, right?  Dd says that some of the networks don't allow streaming from their sites unless you have a cable box?? (we don't).

I have the TiVO set to record, and we can watch it on the TV live or from the TiVo, but we also have a projector and screen that we can only use with streaming, and I thought it could be fun to watch on the big screen...

An encore presentation will air tomorrow night on PBS.

Maybe on individual stations? The main Masterpiece site says the encore is scheduled for Sunday the 10th. I'll have to watch it again when it's available online on the 11th. I had some streaming issues a few times but didn't miss too much.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 1

I got to watch all but a couple of minutes in the middle when the connection cut-out. I did not think it was good as usual. I found it confusing at times and really slow to start, the setting felt contrived, overall it was a bit of a disappointment. It is not one I'd tell non-Sherlock watchers to catch to lure them in. In the end I found it enjoyable (and will watch it again- hopefully it will grow on me) but I thought the witty lines were a bit sparse- the dialogue was just stilted in parts. 

Anyone other thoughts? I didn't give away any spoilers just in case.

I got to watch all but a couple of minutes in the middle when the connection cut-out. I did not think it was good as usual. I found it confusing at times and really slow to start, the setting felt contrived, overall it was a bit of a disappointment. It is not one I'd tell non-Sherlock watchers to catch to lure them in. In the end I found it enjoyable (and will watch it again- hopefully it will grow on me) but I thought the witty lines were a bit sparse- the dialogue was just stilted in parts. 

Anyone other thoughts? I didn't give away any spoilers just in case.

We haven't seen it due to conflicts (which will be ongoing for the next week, so we're out of luck catching up next week in a theater or repeat performance on tv).

However, dd's bff in UK watched it and messaged her that it seemed like Tumblr: The Episode to her.  In other words, a bunch of vignettes that fans would like and post online incessantly.  They enjoyed it for what it was, but thought it wasn't a standalone episode.

Of course, she might've just been being kind since we won't be watching it for awhile ... it would've been disheartening if she'd immediately started exclaiming that it was the best thing ever and our lives weren't worth living until we actually saw it.

Dh and I really loved it;  but now we can better understand why it was described in advance as a "stand-alone" special that doesn't really advance the plot.   And yet at the same time is in no way separate from the trajectory of the plot thus far (so it would be baffling to one who hasn't followed the series.)   I see it more as character development.... Sherlock wrestling internally with himself, and deeper layers of his own self being revealed.  

But will say no more. ;)

• 2 weeks later...