Menu

Help me plan Christmas dinner. Please. I'm too tired to think.

ktgrok

Feel free to be bossy. As posted in another thread my introverted, non organized self has been used and abused by Christmas prep. I'm too tired to think straight. 

Backstory: We will have a nice turkey dinner at my mother's (3 hour round trip) on Christmas Eve, around 3pm. Then church at 7pm. Then hopefully kids to bed ASAP. 

We will get up around 6am Christmas morning, open stockings, pile everything in the car, and  leave at 7am to drive back to my mom's house to open gifts there with her and my dad and my sister and her daughters. Then drive back home around noon or so. 

Then DH's brother, brother's girlfriend, and brother's girlfriend's father are coming over for a Christmas dinner at our house. Eat around 6pm. This is the meal I need to plan. 

I have a ham, spiral cut bone in that I bought at Aldi with a coupon. I should probably serve that. I made the dumb mistake of asking BIL and his girlfriend if there were any dishes they wanted to have and they requested my corn pie (rich cornbread in a graham cracker crust) as a side dish and pecan pie for dessert. So those are being made. 

What else? I don't really like ham very much. But, I bought it on impulse because of the coupon, and money is a bit tight for the rest of the week, so I am going to make it I guess. I thought about making roasted brussel sprouts because I like them, but they stink up the house, lol. I don't want a stinky house. 

Someone tell me other stuff to make. Easy stuff that I can do given my schedule listed above. Bonus if it can be purchased at Walmart, as i have a gift card to there and it is right around the corner. Part of me says screw the ham, and wants to get a boneless leg of lamb or something, but I don't know if my guests like lamb and well, I already have the ham, lol. 

• Like 1

Casserole of cheesy potatoes or Mac n cheese made ahead of time and baked with the ham. Asparagus is as easy or festive as you want it to be. I spritz it with olive oil, salt and pepper, covered casserole for a couple minutes in the microwave and it is ready for the table.

Green salad of some kind. Waldorf works well on the holidays.

Rolls

2nd plan would be anything you can cook today or tomorrow and put in fridge. Baked ziti, white lasagna, white chicken chili, etc.

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Like 4

With that travel schedule?  Pizza!  If you feel like you have to cook something, can you cook up a large pot of chili tomorrow so you can just hit the low button on a crockpot to warm it back up when you get home from your mom's house?  That sounds good to go with cornbread pie.

• Like 6

If it was just us, I'd make just finger food or something. I adore appetizers. I just don't know that I can invite people over for Christmas dinner, then serve just finger food, you know? He only sees his brother a few times a year, despite him only living an hour away. And their mother is deceased, and I just want it to be nice. But I don't want to be so stressed I kill people. but I like to cook. But darn it, I'm sick of corn pie, lol! At least it is super easy and can be made ahead. 

Edited to Add:

Could i just do mostly finger stuff? Maybe put out the ham slices, for those that want it, with maybe some small rolls, and have a crock pot of cranberry meatballs, mini quiches, cheese, fruit, crackers, etc? Would that be weird?

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 6

If it was just us, I'd make just finger food or something. I adore appetizers. I just don't know that I can invite people over for Christmas dinner, then serve just finger food, you know? He only sees his brother a few times a year, despite him only living an hour away. And their mother is deceased, and I just want it to be nice. But I don't want to be so stressed I kill people. but I like to cook. But darn it, I'm sick of corn pie, lol! At least it is super easy and can be made ahead. 

Edited to Add:

Could i just do mostly finger stuff? Maybe put out the ham slices, for those that want it, with maybe some small rolls, and have a crock pot of cranberry meatballs, mini quiches, cheese, fruit, crackers, etc? Would that be weird?

Yes. Do what you have to do to make it a relaxing, enjoyable evening.

Chinese take out is always nice.

It is tradition after we go to the movies.

You are doing a lot of traveling and my introverted self would not be able to handle cooking a meal. If Chinese was not an option I would be ordering something ahead of time that I just need to heat up.

Edited to Add:

Although I haven't talked to my MIL yet, I bet she is doing exactly that for lunch.  With 7 kids ranging from 15 down to almost 6 to try and please (my nephews are very picky), she has given up on trying to make a big fancy meal. 

Yes. Do what you have to do to make it a relaxing, enjoyable evening.

I don't even know if it would be any less work, but it would be more enjoyable for me. I LIKE finger foods/appetizers. A lot. A LOT. 

I do NOT like, or at least am not interested in eating, ham, corn pie, etc. I'm just not. I've had it too much. Hell, I don't mind making the corn pie and sending it home with them. They can eat it, lol!  

I like Christmas dinner to be fun, or special, or something. Ham to me is Easter food. Corn pie is picnic food or potluck food. Sweet potatoes are for thanksgiving, etc. 

If I could I'd have leg of lamb and roasted root veggies and a salad. But doing the ham I already have rather than spending a bunch on lamb, and then adding the meatballs, frozen appetizers, some fun stuff...that might help make me happier about it all. 

Y'all, I'm about to cry.  thank you for giving me permission to change things up.

I hadn't realized how much this was stressing me out. I don't mind cooking, but cooking food I don't want to eat on the holidays sounded miserable. 

I'm going to make what I want, and I'll make the stupid corn pie maybe too, but send it home wiht them. I might even do mini pecan pies, to stick with the finger food theme :)

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 7

I'd suggest making your favorite three appetizers whether they go with dinner or not, and a salad to go with that ham and corn pie to lighten everything up.

Sometimes a sampler style meal with lots of little bite is fun!

I'd suggest making your favorite three appetizers whether they go with dinner or not, and a salad to go with that ham and corn pie to lighten everything up.

Sometimes a sampler style meal with lots of little bite is fun!

Neither my kids, nor BIL nor BIL's girlfriend will eat salad. I tried that one year. 

Get the lamb.  It's more festive.

Add it to the ham, then others will help you consume the stupid ham you don't like, AND you will look like a lavish hostess.

Buy massive amounts of prewashed bagged salad and Caesar Italian dressing.  Voila, instant veggie.  Forget about cooking veggies.  Salad is healthier and easier.  Buy gourmet bread and unsalted butter if you don't want to bother with potatoes and gravy.  

Mini quiches from Costco are great appetizers and they are so easy.  Pop them in the oven and serve, and look awesome.  Add guac (Costco guac is really pretty good) and two kinds of chips (because, TWO looks like you Went To A Lot Of Trouble when really you just opened one extra bag.)  In a big chip and dip bowl and your appetizers are set.  

An easy and festive punch to serve before dinner is:  1 liter of ginger ale, 1 liter or so of orange juice, 1 quart of lemon sherbet, ice.  It's called orange blossom punch and everyone loves it.  The ginger ale cuts the overall sweetness down a lot so it's refreshing.  You can skip this if it seems overwhelming.

You already have dessert.  Maybe make VERY STRONG coffee (6X strength) in advance and put in the fridge so you can dilute it with boiling water at POU.  One less thing to do at the last minute.  

Voila!

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

I'd do:

- hot ham (time bake from frozen)

- warmed pre-made corn pie

- fancy sauce for the ham (honey+mustard, BBQ sauce+soy sauce, mayo+olive oil+spices -- anything you have on hand, put it in a pretty dish)

- "salads" (macaroni salad, potato salad, coleslaw, Greek salad, lettuce salad -- whatever)

- rolls & butter/margarine

- pecan pie

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 1

Honestly, I would do whatever I have to do to avoid having that kind of Christmas morning! That part sounds like torture to me. If that means a simple dinner, then that's what I'd do. Maybe a crockpot soup, Pillsbury rolls, a box of salad, and some finger foods alongside? 

If the timing of Christmas morning is fixed and can't be changed, then the ham actually kind of seems like the least of the trouble to me. it's pretty much just "stick it in the oven and wait." I would just do extremely simple sides to go with it. A big bowl of salad (right out of the plastic box) with cherry tomatoes, potato salad (bought or made the day before), Pillsbury rolls. I'd buy two pies and ice cream and whipped cream. The end.

• Like 1

Okay, how about this?

Finger Food Extravaganza

Ham (already purchased)

rolls for ham, likely small sweet rolls like hawain rolls or something

cranberry meatballs (cheap and easy)

crackers

cheeseball or fancy goat cheese (for me, lol)

savory cheese spritz crackers (fun for me to make, I'm dying to use my cookie press again)

mini pot pies (already purchased and in my freezer)

mini quiches (for me, I like these, and easy to just warm up. I'll buy premade)

fruit (so we have something healthy...and the kids like it)

pickles (already purchased for people's stockings )

olives (also already purchased and going in people's stockings)

Desser:

Mini pecan pies (for BIL)

mini mince pies (for DH, his favorite)

cookies (leftover from XMAS eve)

• Like 11

Honestly, I would do whatever I have to do to avoid having that kind of Christmas morning! That part sounds like torture to me. If that means a simple dinner, then that's what I'd do. Maybe a crockpot soup, Pillsbury rolls, a box of salad, and some finger foods alongside? 

If the timing of Christmas morning is fixed and can't be changed, then the ham actually kind of seems like the least of the trouble to me. it's pretty much just "stick it in the oven and wait." I would just do extremely simple sides to go with it. A big bowl of salad (right out of the plastic box) with cherry tomatoes, potato salad (bought or made the day before), Pillsbury rolls. I'd buy two pies and ice cream and whipped cream. The end.

yeah, the timing of Christmas morning is fixed. They wanted us to leave at 6am, I had to beg to wait till 7am. Actually, I just threatened that we wouldn't come otherwise. My sister wants plenty of time before her kids have to go to their father's house, it's their first holiday post divorce. And my son has to go to his dad's house too, although there is less pressure to be done early for that. So....yeah. 

And it's not that I mind cooking when we get back. I mind cooking food I don't want to eat, lol.

• Like 1

Buttered peas then. No pickiness will be accommodated. If they eat it, great. If they don't, oh well. One day without veggies won't kill anyone. The togetherness is the thing. Really!

LOL, my least favorite veggie. I hate the smell of peas. I think I'm just going to serve fruit instead. 

• Like 2

LOL, my least favorite veggie. I hate the smell of peas. I think I'm just going to serve fruit instead. 

Well, OK, the chef's pickiness will always be accommodated! Yeah, whatever's easier. Your current plan sounds completely fine, so if it works for you, don't worry about the others. You're being very kind for already accommodating wishes and preferences.

• Like 1

yeah, the timing of Christmas morning is fixed. They wanted us to leave at 6am, I had to beg to wait till 7am. Actually, I just threatened that we wouldn't come otherwise. My sister wants plenty of time before her kids have to go to their father's house, it's their first holiday post divorce. And my son has to go to his dad's house too, although there is less pressure to be done early for that. So....yeah. 

And it's not that I mind cooking when we get back. I mind cooking food I don't want to eat, lol.

Oh man. I understand, but that is painful  :grouphug: I hope the holiday works out well for everyone--especially you!

Neither my kids, nor BIL nor BIL's girlfriend will eat salad. I tried that one year.

Bummer! Salad is delicious :(

Maybe something simple like sautéed green beans with onion and bacon?

Edited by Arctic Mama

My aunt always did a buffet table with a main entre (usually roast beef sandwiches) and all the rest was finger foods. I do the same for our Christmas Eve--we think it's a nice change from a repeat sit down ham dinner.

Edited by Pippen

I personally would love the menu you have laid out, but it would not seem like a Christmas dinner to me.  It sounds like a New Year's buffet maybe, but not Christmas Dinner.  I don't know how your rellies will see it? 

Seeing that they don't like salad, I would still do the dinner I described except add in the roasted veggies that you and they both like. Maybe even skip the salad.  After all, you have two meats.  :)

We did the Christmas buffet last year with soups instead of meats. The thing that got me was everyone decided to eat at once and my table wasnt ready. I'm not sure what I was thinking. I thought with the finger foods everyone would just mingle and graze, but that's not how it went. So don't forget to go ahead and set the table!

This year I am doing lasagnas. For some reason making all those apps seems like more work than a regular meal to me.

I'm glad you found your solution. Hope it's lots of fun!

We are doing finger foods/appetizers for Christmas Eve dinner with dh's relatives. I suggested it and the reason I gave was so that we could all just hang out, play games and graze instead of being tied to a sit-down dinner. We've done it before and it worked well. It's also easier to accommodate picky eaters and food issues. I'd go for it! :) 

I personally would love the menu you have laid out, but it would not seem like a Christmas dinner to me.  It sounds like a New Year's buffet maybe, but not Christmas Dinner.  I don't know how your rellies will see it? 

Seeing that they don't like salad, I would still do the dinner I described except add in the roasted veggies that you and they both like. Maybe even skip the salad.  After all, you have two meats.  :)

I don't think I can/should buy the lamb. Financially not a good idea. Unless Walmart sells lamb or prime rib or something similar. 

I am worried it won't seem like a nice enough dinner. I mean, we will ahve one the day before, but they won't. I think I'll ask DH what he thinks. It's his brother after all. 

Edited by ktgrok

Ok, after consulting with husband and thinking on this, this is the new plan. It lets me have some things I like, some things they like, and still is a real dinner. 

Appetizers:

cranberry meatballs (easy, in crockpot, and the kids love them, and so does DH)

crackers

cheeseball or goat cheese or something (I like this)

savory cheese spritz crackers (fun for me to make with my new cookie press)

pickles (sweet and dill)

olives

Dinner:

Ham

Cranberry Salad (easy and looks yummy, kids should like it)

Corn Pie (requested by BIL's girlfriend, easy to make. Will send them all leftovers)

spinach and artichoke casserole (need to find recipe, this one is for me!)

crescent rolls (DH demands them every holiday)

Dessert:

Pecan Pie (requested by BIL and a favorite of mine anyway)

mini mince pies (favorite of DH)

cookies (leftover ones from xmas eve)

Edited by ktgrok

Ask  your BIL to bring a couple side dishes and one dessert. He and/or his girl friend can make, bake or buy items. 

I don't think they know how to cook, honestly. And do not have the money to buy anything, really. 

I'll make the meatballs in the crockpot, using frozen meatballs. Takes literally 2 minutes. Corn pie will be made one or two days ahead and just warmed up. Takes about 5 minutes to make. Cranberry salad and the spinach artichoke casserole will take the longest to make, but I want those :)

Pecan pie...not sure when I'll make that, honestly. The mince pies will just be jarred mince meat put in some premade phyllo dough cups, lol. 

I think your menu sounds fine. I would buy the pecan pies and not bother baking them, because you are already insanely busy and baking takes time and energy.

I think you're smart to stick with using the ham. Why buy something else when you've already got the ham? And those spiral hams are usually pretty large so it's good to serve them when you have guests. Otherwise, you'll be sick to death of ham long before you run out of leftovers. ;)

• Like 4

I think you are doing better than you think.

Ham

Optional -- add a few unusual mustards

Corn pie

Add -- roasted cherry tomatoes. Put the tomatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Add minced garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. You can have them ready in a baggie, put them on the sheet and roast at the last minute, 15 min at 425, I think. Ina Garten recipe. They would look pretty with what you have. I like heirloom cherry tomatoes, but do not mix with regular ones, as they may cook at different rates, btdt.

Pecan pie (buy it, as per Catwoman)

Add -- ice cream, eggnog or another special flavor if you can find it.

With all the driving you have to do, and probably a last minute crisis or two, I would stick with something very simple.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

Ok, after consulting with husband and thinking on this, this is the new plan. It lets me have some things I like, some things they like, and still is a real dinner.

Appetizers:

crackers

pickles (sweet and dill)

olives

Dinner:

Ham

Corn Pie (requested by BIL's girlfriend, easy to make. Will send them all leftovers)

Dessert:

Noooo.....

Slow down.

This sounds exhausting.

Can you serve some of these to your family during the other 11 days of Xmas?

Appetizers:

crackers

pickles (sweet and dill)

olives

Dinner:

Ham

Dessert:

I'm in your boat. I can't decide, but DS wants ham so I'm trying to work around that. I may also do an herb crusted salmon, potato feta polpettes, and some green sides. However, part of my wants to do Moroccan lamb shanks with root vegetables over cous cous and just smell it simmer half the day.

My sister and I did an appetizer smorgasborg the years she lived nearby. We just kept the appetizers coming all day and the kids loved it. Nothing had to go together. It was great!

I NEED to make a decision and get to the store. This is crazy.

LOL, I've never bought a pie. Well, except cherry pie, because I don't like cherry pie. Pecan pie says it takes 10 minutes to make, plus some baking time. That's not bad. The mince ones will just be from a jar tossed in premade crusts. Maybe some brandy, etc added for fun. 

It might be a lot, but I'm not sure I know how to not do a lot, lol. I guess that's showing, huh?

LOL, I've never bought a pie. Well, except cherry pie, because I don't like cherry pie. Pecan pie says it takes 10 minutes to make, plus some baking time. That's not bad. The mince ones will just be from a jar tossed in premade crusts. Maybe some brandy, etc added for fun.

It might be a lot, but I'm not sure I know how to not do a lot, lol. I guess that's showing, huh?

I'm not sure what it says about me, but I think your final plans look great and doable :).

• Like 1

LOL, I've never bought a pie. Well, except cherry pie, because I don't like cherry pie. Pecan pie says it takes 10 minutes to make, plus some baking time. That's not bad. The mince ones will just be from a jar tossed in premade crusts. Maybe some brandy, etc added for fun. 

If you can do a lot of the prep work tomorrow, I think it is doable.  I totally get the hating having to cook something you can't/won't eat.  I'm in charge of mac' n' cheese and I haven't eaten dairy since January.  This isn't Kraft in a box style of mac either so it takes awhile.