Menu

Cheap Christmas paper!

Night Elf

I was wrapping some gifts with paper I got last year on sale. It's so thin it kept tearing. I think I'll go buy some quality paper and rewrap these items. I guess this is a case of 'you get what you pay for'. I'm quite liking the idea that some of you have reusable bags every year.

• Like 1

We use our big roll of brown paper for wrapping gifts. It's large enough for even really big boxes and you don't need to buy gift tags because you just write on the paper! And my kids are still young enough that they think it's fun decorating the packages for their cousins.

• Like 1

I found the best deal yesterday - Walmart 3-roll of REVERSIBLE paper.  Now I have 6 patters (that all coordinate) for the price of 3!!

It's not the thickest or the thinnest that I've had, but it's held up through round 1 of wrapping.  

I bought a package of that today- it'll do just fine for my gifts that don't have to be mailed. It's thicker than paper I already have, which is way too thin.   We don't buy a ton of gifts but I was thrilled to have six different patterns.  Since I haven't needed to buy wrapping paper in several years, I was shocked by how much the bag of bows cost. Yikes! 

Is curling ribbon not a thing any more? I couldn't find any and the Walmart clerk had no idea what I was talking about. 

We use our big roll of brown paper for wrapping gifts. It's large enough for even really big boxes and you don't need to buy gift tags because you just write on the paper! And my kids are still young enough that they think it's fun decorating the packages for their cousins.

We do something similar... I work in an office that is constantly throwing away paper, including large sets of architectural plans. I nab enough to keep us supplied with white 'wrapping' paper all year.

I also nab all the letter sized paper that they print giant reports on - one sided - and stick it in the printer and print the blank side with really light graph paper. It is awesome for notes and just .... paper. Recently I've started to think I should just print everything on the opposite side of their reports. :)

Oh I have a roll of that! That was from my days of doing paperback swap.

I hate the cheapie wrapping paper that most stores sell! You can't even wrap a simple box without it tearing at the corners.  I've found good quality wrapping paper at stores like TJMaxx, Ross, and Marshall's, usually for $2-$3 per roll. SO worth it to me!

and I agree about the cost of  bows! When did they become so expensive?

I'm good with Dollar Tree paper. But I DO like printing with cookie cutters and red paint on brown paper and making my own. Wrapped with red yarn! So cute, and the printing takes way less time than you'd think.

Just call me Martha. I'll be over here making homemade fudge and working on my 36 yards of juniper greenery....

:laugh:

• Like 7

A couple of years ago, I discovered the awesomeness of Hobby Lobby paper. :) It's always 50% off before Christmas, thick, has cut lines, comes on large rolls, and easy to coordinate because they group it by color. Perfect! I bought a couple of large rolls of tulle ribbon to tie around the packages and it has lasted forever. No more expensive bows falling off all the time. :)

• Like 4

I was wrapping some gifts with paper I got last year on sale. It's so thin it kept tearing. I think I'll go buy some quality paper and rewrap these items. I guess this is a case of 'you get what you pay for'. I'm quite liking the idea that some of you have reusable bags every year.

I use playsilks for smaller gifts. They come in such pretty colors and you can bundle up a gift and "tie" it with a ponytail holder. If something doesn't fit in a silk, I usually just slap a box on it and call it good.

I buy the huge single rolls at Costco. They are 10.00 or 11.00? And it lasts forever! Well I usually get two years out of one roll. I buy one new one each year so I have several options for wrapping.

I wish they carried birthday paper in those single rolls. The 4 packs have the same quality, but not nearly as much paper for the price.

Edited by KatieinMich

I'm good with Dollar Tree paper. But I DO like printing with cookie cutters and red paint on brown paper and making my own. Wrapped with red yarn! So cute, and the printing takes way less time than you'd think.

Just call me Martha. I'll be over here making homemade fudge and working on my 36 yards of juniper greenery....

:laugh:

Nobody likes a show-off. :glare:

(Of course that's because we secretly wish we were you, but we'll never admit it! :D)

Costco's paper has the grid cut lines and is a nice thickness. The reversible does not have grid lines, which should be obvious but I was inexplicably disappointed at 3am last Christmas Eve. Ha! The shiny side gets white dents in it easily if you get one with a shiny side.

I splurge a bit on Christmas paper.  There was one Christmas Eve where it just kept tearing on EVERY SINGLE CORNER!  DH told me to buy the most expensive paper I could find because the frustration the cheap stuff was giving us was ridiculous.  I went with the Costco paper.  I have only had one corner rip in the past three years and it was on a very heavy, awkward shaped package.  Also, a roll lasts forever.  Or that could be a negative if you like a lot of variety under the tree.

I pick up the paper from Target after Christmas. We mostly use bags so just one or two extra rolls helps fill out the variety of papers. They're a little thicker than the cheap stuff and have the cutting lines.

Curling ribbon--you're more likely to find it in the party section at walmart or hobby lobby. ETA: I've also seen small rolls of it at Dollar Tree.

Edited by Cinder
  • Like 1

I bought 3 rolls of 99 cent paper from Walmart and another roll that was twice as much.  I can't believe the difference between the two kinds of paper!  I don't think I'll be re-wrapping them, but I'll probably go with the more expensive one next year.  It also has the grid on the back, which I find very helpful because I can't cut in a straight line.    

Edited by Holly

I really want to encourage you all to do the work and make bags! Jo-Ann's has their Christmas fabric on sale right now and they really don't take up much time. After several different versions, I just sew two ribbons into one side seam. 

I made some bags for gifts I mailed out but my crew only receives a few gifts and honestly they enjoy the traditional wrapping paper experience. We have some beautiful boxes and just put tissue inside to conceal the gift and nobody here enjoys those. Weirdos. 

• Like 1

We do this too. "Brown paper packages, tied up with strings..."

Plus: we can recycle the brown kraft paper, but can't recycle the wrapping paper. 

I'm frugal at heart, and the thought of *buying* paper for the purpose of *throwing away* makes me Grinchy.

Dd didn't like the idea of brown kraft paper. She said it didn't look like the holidays. When she was little, she would have happily decorated the paper, but she doesn't do that stuff anymore. I'm going to have 7 gifts under the tree this year. At this rate, it will take me years to work through the rolls of this cheap paper. It's just too much to throw away! Right? I'd feel as if I'm being wasteful. *sigh*