Menu

Your song?

Night Elf

Special song?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a special song as a couple?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

I voted no but we do have a couple of joke "our" songs.

We had "Bess You is my Woman Now" (from Porgy and Bess) played as our wedding recessional.  We just had a pianist, and the way the venue was set up people could hardly hear the music, so it wasn't some big statement, just a joke.  My husband had kiddingly asked the pianist if she knew it; she did; privately I told her to play it.  He noticed it and enjoyed the moment.

Two people came up to me later and said "Did you know what your recessional song was?"  Um well yeah, of course I did.  Most people had no clue; if they heard it at all, they didn't know what it was.

We also had "If I Only Had a Brain" played during the reception, so on the rare occasion that comes to mind, we laugh about it.

• Like 1

We have no particular romantic song, but DH jokingly asked the DJ to play "It's the End of the World as we Know It" when we had our consultation, and the DJ took him seriously and played it as we walked into the reception hall - to my mom's horror and our friend's delight. It was hilarious. Now, whenever I'm asked to come up with "our song" I can't help but think of that one. LOL

• Like 6

We don't have a song in the romantic sense.** The closest is "It had to be You" was played when we entered the reception.

We have plenty of inside joke songs though!

Willie Nelson's "on the road again", Ode to Joy, Can't get your news from a chicken, and Final Countdown immediately spring to mind.

** now, DH wrote and sang a song for me as a present that is special to me. But I didn't count that because it isn't like we are ever sitting around and "our song" comes on the radio.

• Like 1

No song, really. I just heard an absolutely gorgeous one that is my new favorite though, and I've been hunting for it on now and haven't found it yet. It's such an under-appreciated gem.

"That's Enough for Me" by Paul Williams. Love.

Edited by Arctic Mama

We do.  It's old, though, and was even obscure back in the day, so you probably don't know it.

"One in a Million" by Larry Graham (of Graham Central Station, but this was his solo album.)

Excerpt:  A one in a million chance of a lifetime; life showed compassion and sent to me a stroke of love called you.

I Could Write a Book. DH sang it to me at a cute little inn bar in NH during a vacation pre-marriage. I had never heard it. We ended up using it as our first dance song at our wedding. You almost never hear it, so it's all the more special when we do :)

Edited by whitestavern
  • Like 1

I wish we did. I used to be very unromantic and not sappy at all. But as I've gotten older, I wish I was romantic and sappy. I'm getting sappier than I used to be, but I'm not really sappy yet.

Being romantic and sappy isn't "us." My DH is pretty cynical and sarcastic in a mild, pleasant kind of way (yes, it's possible,) and if I suddenly wanted us to have a song...it just wouldn't work. He wouldn't be able to help himself from cracking sarcastic jokes about it. Both people have to be sappy and content to look at each other with doe eyes and sway to the song. The two of us could never pull it off. :) But part of me wishes we could.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

No song, really. I just heard an absolutely gorgeous one that is my new favorite though, and I've been hunting for it on now and haven't found it yet. It's such an under-appreciated gem.

"That's Enough for Me" by Paul Williams. Love.

The mere mention of Paul Williams....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJp4zhTkh4c What a great song writer!

Oh my. The hair on both of them. :laugh:

No, but dh did write me a song when we were dating. After a while I told him I really liked the song he wrote for the girlfriend before me, better. :laugh:

We've been thru some rough patches--so the song, "Broken Together," which came out recently, really speaks to both of us. (Well, me more than him, but he did like it.)

I wish we did. I used to be very unromantic and not sappy at all. But as I've gotten older, I wish I was romantic and sappy. I'm getting sappier than I used to be, but I'm not really sappy yet.

Being romantic and sappy isn't "us." My DH is pretty cynical and sarcastic in a mild, pleasant kind of way (yes, it's possible,) and if I suddenly wanted us to have a song...it just wouldn't work. He wouldn't be able to help himself from cracking sarcastic jokes about it. Both people have to be sappy and content to look at each other with doe eyes and sway to the song. The two of us could never pull it off. :) But part of me wishes we could.

Your song doesn't have to be romantic and sappy. It could be Blue Monday or Bizzarre Love Triangle. :coolgleamA: Or even more fun, Closer by NIN. (WARNING: lyrics not safe for most ears.)

And I 'get' you guys- sappy songs make me want to kick things into traffic. Angry songs make me happy.  I think my brain is wired backward.

I marked "other" because if you ask me we have no song, but if you ask DH, he'll tell you "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest. Yeah, don't ask.  :glare:

Awwww I bet it's an AWESOME story!

I'll gell you mine: My Gram was recovering frm a stroke and was in a wheelchair. I had to get her out to see a parade my DD was in, so I had to push her uphill. It was cold, I was tired, and my mom was getting on my nerves- so the fastest way to get Gram to the parade spot was to just disregard traffic laws  and "jaywalk" diagonally across intersections. (almost no traffic due to the parade.) I told her to hang on I took off running- pushing the chair- while singing "Breaking the Law" at the top of my lungs.

Gram loved it- she was laughing, and I thought my mom was gonna lose her mind. :coolgleamA:

I wish we did! It's interesting to hear the responses. DH and I just didn't listen to music when we were dating and we got married at the court house so there was no music at our wedding. During the beginning of our marriage, we mostly listened to classical music. Now we listen to the 70s when we drive and after dinner, and then spa/relaxing music when we get into bed to read.