Menu

Staying in a hotel for more than just a week or so....

Luanne

Rebekah and I bought plane tickets and are moving to Florida. We will be leaving Colorado on December 9. She has a friend we will be living with. It will either be in Tampa or Orlando. Until we can find an apartment our plan is to stay in a hotel. Nikki (Rebekah's friend) has a job and is sure she can get Rebekah on there too. Has anyone else done anything like this?

There are a couple good extended stay ones off of I4 in Tampa. There may be one or two between the two cities. I would suggest where I used to live, but it is out in the middle of nowheresville. :)

Yes, extended stay places are better.  They're used to having people stay for a while and they have at least somewhat better kitchen arrangements (some are even pretty good).

It's really nice to be able to just pick up and leave on short notice rather than dealing with any kind of lease.  Extended stay places are generally paid weekly. And it's nice to have the housekeeping service, depending on the arrangement. They're not necessarily much more expensive than renting on a short-term lease, although that depends on a lot of things.

• Like 3

We stayed in a residence Inn for three months while homeschooling three kids, house hunting and we had a dog.

Good times. RI serves breakfast, but they also have some form of an evening meal four nights a week. We had a small but efficient kitchen with an oven and a dishwasher. Laundry room in the next building. Pool,was outdoors, so,we didn't get to use it until just before we moved into our house.

DH company paid for it, so I am really not sure of the cost. But when we found our house, we moved out. Worked well for us.

• Like 3

Candlewood Suites, Extended Stay, Residence Inn, a few new Red Roof Inns and a couple others all have rooms with small kitchens.  They aren't cheap but will give a better rate for longer term.  Probably Extended Stay will work out to be the cheapest but not necessarily the nicest.  We have stayed in all of the ones that I have listed.

• Like 1

We stayed in a residence inn one summer. Free full breakfast every day and dinner or appetizers several days a week plus housekeeping. The extra meals definitely defray the cost of other arrangements, so consider that in your calculations. Ours also did kids' activities several days a week. This was a decade ago and the cost was around $100 per day. Our room was more like a townhouse than a hotel suite. Full kitchen, LR/DR and MBR loft with a second bathroom. The sofa bed folded out in the living room and there was Murphy bed down there too.

• Like 1

Yep, couple times.  First time we packed up he van, left the kids with my sister and took off to Florida (Clearwater).  We actually camped for the first couple weeks (the armadillos and raccoons didn't let us sleep much) then my sister brought the kids down so we moved into an extended stay hotel, with kitchen. We did that for a couple months, housing was very expensive in Florida at the time.  We found a house and stayed for another 1.5 years.  Then we did it again, met sister in Nashville she took the kids we went looking for work.  We ended up in the Tri-cities area, camped, and found a house quickly.  We'd probably still be there except DH got laid off. Now that the kids are older it would probably be a lot easier but then I'm older too and it scares me to move without a plan, job, house, etc....

As for the experience, it was fine.  The kids were little and slept when we slept.  There was TV and we were only 1/2 mile from the beach.    

• Like 1

We've done this a couple of times. I love it. Totally great to have someone come in everyday and sweep the floor, make beds and clean bathrooms. Also nice not to be surrounded by all the stuff my girls think they need to have when we're not living out of suitcases.

I do need at least a kitchenette, though. Otherwise, I get sick from eating out.

• Like 1

Luanne, how is your health? Have you got a plan for medical needs lined up, or are you at a fully recovered status?

I just had carpal tunnel surgery and hopefully that will be it for the major issues. I will be applying for Medicaid when I get down there.

• Like 3

The only problem with that is we have no furniture or even cooking utensils.

Some are furnished. They aren't hotels, but apartments in complexes. I've used these in Boise and the cost is about 2/3 of extended stay hotels.

Luanne, you may find it cheaper to get a mattresses and then shop for kitchen stuff and seating online or in thrift stores.  Extended stays are pretty expensive per month.  I don't know how long you are talking about having to stay in one, but it might be a consideration.

• Like 1

Some are furnished. They aren't hotels, but apartments in complexes. I've used these in Boise and the cost is about 2/3 of extended stay hotels.

We stayed in a studio apartment that was furnished in Charlotte.  Very similar to the extended stay except that no one cleaned (we didn't like that anyway) and the neighbors were less likely to be construction crews. 

We found a place called Celebration Suites at Old Town in Orlando. It looks pretty good. It has a full kitchen in it.

Do you need to be near somewhere specific in Orlando? That area is constantly busy with tons of traffic. The nearby stores are higher priced and cater to tourists. The reviews aren't very good, and for upwards of $400/wk, you could get a condo or something.

Since I've never actually been there, I don' t know what to expect. I don't know exactly where the girls place of work is either. I've asked Nikki, but don't know what she said.

With traffic, it can take 90 minutes to 2 hours to get from Orlando to Tampa so you really do need to know where the girls will be working in order to know where to stay. And probably actually get confirmation that your daughter has actually been hired, as if she's not, you might find another location more suitable.

• Like 2

Florida is PACKED with excellent thrift stores.  Many people retire there, then donate their old furniture and buy new, then when they pass the new furniture is also donated.  It is very easy to find cookware, furniture, and clothes.  I would consider buying new bedding (futons?) and picking up the rest at local thrift stores.  

What are you doing with the furniture and kitchenware you have now?  Could you ship some of it to your new location?  Or is it not worth the money to send it?  If you fly on Southwest Airlines, you can each take two checked bags and one carry-on, which can be stuffed with quite a bit of clothing and housewares.  We've had several family members move this way over the years.  You have to watch the weight of your bags, but it may be worth it compared to regular shipping fees.  (And you don't always need an actual suitcase - a sturdy box well-taped up will do.)

Also - talk to the Medicaid people about moving, to see if your benefits will be similar, what you'll need to do to qualify (and *if* you'll qualify), if there is any kind of waiting period, and so on so that you know exactly what you're getting into financially.  States vary in how they implement this kind of federal program.

And look at the job market just in case your daughter;s friend's job prospect falls through, so you know you have options when you get there.

• Like 1

Just a few warnings in case this applies to you:

1. Florida is extremely difficult to establish primary care. If I remember correctly, you have some medical problems. Make sure you get a doctor MONTHS before you come into the state.

2. Florida, after dealing with tons of pill mills, now makes it very difficult to obtain controlled substances. If you take anything that qualifies, I would pick a new state.

3. RV parks abound everywhere. Many have cheap cabins for rent in good locations.

4. Property taxes are killers. We pay about $1200 a month for home in just those taxes.

5. Orlando is extremely hot and humid. There are months that one cannot really stay outside much. Then, there is cold in the winter. The coastal cities, however, have very mild year round climates with nice breezes. The traffic in both Orlando and Tampa is fierce.

6. The size of the cockroaches will scare anyone to death.

7. Insurance is pricey.

8. Getting professional licenses takes longer here than most states.

Not to be a nervous Nelly, but, Florida should be researched well, as I am sure you will do. It is not for the squeamish. Hopefully, we will never have to leave, but, it was a solid 3 years before we adjusted.

• Like 4

Nikki said Orlando is the closest to where she is working.

Orlando is a big city. You really want to know where work is when looking. Dh worked there for about 3 months. He stayed at a corporate apartment since they weren't relocating him, just had a short project, that was 10 miles away but typically 30 minutes to drive. There are also several toll roads in Orlando. Some of the exits require you to have a prepaid toll pass to use them, so you'll want to make sure that is covered if your daughter is driving to work so she doesn't get surprised on her first day driving in.

• Like 3

A lot depends on what side of Orlando she will be working in. Orlando is a huge city, with several small "municipalities". I used to live about an hour southwest of there, and it would take me less time to get to the interstate than it did to get across town on the interstate. Even longer in congested areas of the city at morning or afternoon rush hours. The economy played a huge part in why we moved away from FL. I still miss the little town we lived in, but dh just couldn't find work there.

Rebekah and I bought plane tickets and are moving to Florida. We will be leaving Colorado on December 9. She has a friend we will be living with. It will either be in Tampa or Orlando. Until we can find an apartment our plan is to stay in a hotel.

Nikki (Rebekah's friend) has a job and is sure she can get Rebekah on there too.

...Since I've never actually been there, I don' t know what to expect. I don't know exactly where the girls place of work is either. I've asked Nikki, but don't know what she said.

So, I think I misunderstood your post the first time I read it.  Do you mean that you and your daughter Rebekah, and her friend Nikki will all be living together in the hotel/apartment?

Have you (or Rebekah) met Nikki in person before?

Is NIkki already working this job? 

Do you know what kind of work it is, and what company it is for?  (You will want to make sure it is good honest work for a reputable company.)

Please find out more details about this job before you move.

I just had carpal tunnel surgery and hopefully that will be it for the major issues. I will be applying for Medicaid when I get down there.

The only medicine I am on that is really important is Exemestane.

I don't plan on driving when I'm there.

Have you researched the Medicaid details yet?  How long can you continue your current Medicaid, and when will the new one kick in?  Will Medicaid in Florida cover your medicine?  Are you sure you will qualify for Medicaid in Florida?  Do you know what documentation you will need to apply, and do you have that documentation to take with you?  

If you don't drive, you'll want to consider where you will be living in relation to health care facilities, and a local pharmacy.  How will you do the legwork for your medical needs when your daughter is at work?  Will she be doing shift work or more of a 9-5 job?

More importantly, how is your daughter planning to get to work? I assume you don't have a car, since you're flying to Florida. You will need to look seriously at transportation to and from work when you are planning where to live. Some jobs are not located near affordable housing or public transportation, so you'll want to research carefully before you move.

I've been living with my mother.

The only furniture I have is a bed, nightstand, and desk. My daughter has no furniture. We have no household things such as kitchen stuff at all.

How often do you plan on going back to Colorado to visit your mother? Is that something you will be able to afford, once you are in Florida?

Have you considered looking into whether there are any charities that help folks who are new to Florida, in terms of setting up a household, finding work, and so on?

Many people have mentioned extended stay hotels and the like, but they are not cheap. The more you find out about the job, the location, etc. before you go, the quicker you'll be able to find affordable living quarters.

• Like 5

Luanne, I don't have any info for you about moving to Florida, but I wanted to wish you and your dd the very best of luck -- I think it is incredibly brave of both of you to make such a big change, and I am so excited for you!!! :hurray:

Thank you.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who were helpful. I am done talking to the rest of you.

I don't understand this response at all. It sounds like you feel attacked, but all I see on this thread are people trying to help. Am I missing something?

In the Orlando area, you can often get good weekly or longer deals on some of the rental places (Condos, houses) that target tourists.  So AirBNB and other places may have some ideas.

That was my suggestion. We did that on vacation. I think that because you can pay insurance and cleaning fees, plus it's private, it's a MUCH better deal. We were very happy with AirBNB and FRBO.

Good luck with the move!