Menu

Christmas for little kids who have everything

lovinmyboys

My kids don't have everything, but they definitely don't need anything. They have books, blocks, games, Legos, guys, play food, etc. I really don't want to add more to our house. Plus, we are going to be visiting family in two different states over Christmas for 2 weeks. I don't think we will have room in our vehicle for much.

However, I do want my kids to enjoy Christmas. I know for sure my 3 and 5 yr olds still believe in Santa and I think my 7 yr old does too. I think we are only going to get them what they ask Santa for (one thing) and stuff their stockings. They will get stuff from family members too. I'm thinking of encouraging consumable things that they use while we are visiting family so we don't have to find a place for it in our vehicle or house. If each kid gets five presents that is 20 new things. Any suggestions for consumable or small things that little kids like?

My kids enjoy getting a favorite food in their stocking--one boy got a jar of olives, my daughter got her own block of extra sharp cheddar cheese, another son got his favorite juice.  They look forward to getting something they love and not having to share it. 

We also have gotten gift certificates to restaurants, ice cream place, etc. for other family members and those seem to go over very well. 

• Like 3

When DS was younger, he got a Sams size box of his favorite cereal.  I rarely buy cereal so this was a huge deal for him.  DD has loved for several years getting gift cards to the craft store.  Now that she understands money, she spends just a little of the card so she can go back for more supplies when she runs out. What about looking at some of the subscription boxes for christmas gifts? 

• Like 3

When my son was younger, he loved presents from the office supply store. The biggest hit ever was a large roll of tickets. They were used all year in different types of imaginative play. He also liked order pads and stamp pads and rubber stamps, but the latter may be a bit messy for your younger ones.

• Like 5

One thing I loved for my dc when they were the age of yours were Klutz books, not the regular Klutz, but a junior Klutz whose name I have forgotten. Fun activities and games that kept kids occupied for hours. Consumable, small size.

Oh, here is a link. They are called Chicken Socks klutz.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Chicken+socks+klutz

• Like 6

One thing I loved for my dc when they were the age of yours were Klutz books, not the regular Klutz, but a junior Klutz whose name I have forgotten. Fun activities and games that kept kids occupied for hours. Consumable, small size.

Oh, here is a link. They are called Chicken Socks klutz.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Chicken+socks+klutz

I didn't know these existed!  Perfect for my 4 year old this year!

If they like clothes as gifts, just wrap them and stick them in the suitcase. Then they can open a present before they get dressed each day :-). Same for bedtime storybooks or movies for the car.

I actually put off the bulk of my kids' winter shopping until the holiday sales. I'm that lame mom that gives outfits. In my defense, I hate to shop so gifts of clothing add to the present pile, but already have a designated home once opened.

• Like 3

"Something to read, something to wear, something you need, and something to share."

New jacket or boots if you can wait.

A book--you can never have too many.

School supplies for need, or memberships, or lessons in something.

And a game for the family.

For the children who have wishes, the old fashioned "Something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read" doesn't hurt, either.

That's what I did for presents when they were little. Now they have wishes so forget the extra school supplies. They get one big present and a stocking with toiletries and school supplies in it.

• Like 3

Do your kids have a DS or similar?  My kids got theirs when they were 5yo and it was a great gift, small and is great for travel.  If they already have one, you could get them new games for it.

Pajamas - something you need to have with you anyway, soft and nice and easy to pack.  Also fun fuzzy socks.

A gingerbread house kit.  Assemble, decorate, eat.

All-inclusive simple consumable art kits.  There are many options.  They usually come with about a half-dozen pictures to color / paint / whatever, and all the tools needed.  A nice quiet activity that can keep the kids occupied.

For the 3yo, a flat tray jigsaw puzzle or two.

Play money for the little ones.

A DVD or CD.

Doll clothes for a doll they will be bringing.

Hair pretties.  Lip gloss / chapstick.  Jewelry.  A small purse / wallet.

Books!

• Like 4

Do you allow electronics? My children and grandchildren were all playing video games by age 3. I know that is controversial here, but it travels well and does not take up space.

My grandsons also like Thomas the Train stuff, and basically anything that is from one of their favorite movies.

Your seven year old may like a scooter or bike. That is not really small, but we always called age seven the wheels year because that was the age our kids first wanted skate boards, etc.

Ours has always been small... they each get:

* stockings (no requests taken, this is whatever Santa puts together)

* 1 gift that they request from Santa

* 1 book from Mommy/daddy

* 1 gift from their sibling, usually something they need (an extra nice version of something) or a subscription

Christmas morning they usually play with their Santa gift.

I've found, paradoxically, that my kids enjoy the holiday more when they only get a few gifts. Somewhere between present 5 and present 27, unwrapping starts to lose its luster, you know? So I wouldn't worry about that.

And on that note, I'd get your kids books. But that's because I always think books are the best present, so my judgment may be impaired here :)

• Like 3

I try to keep our stockings 100% consumable: candy, snack cakes, little packs of crackers, socks, toothbrushes (with fun characters), fingernail polish, hair things, pens, art supplies, mini activity books, etc.  If you go on Pinterest, there are tons of ideas for non-consumable stockings. My mother-in-law only puts one small gift, a tiny bit of candy, a few peanuts, a candy cane, and a piece of fruit in her stockings...it's totally different from the overloaded stockings I grew up with, but I like the idea of a simple stocking.  I think that's what we'll be doing this year.

For one gift, I try to pick something that everyone needs.  One year I bought them each a nice, warm Thinsulate pair of mittens/gloves, another year everyone got slipper socks.  We also get pajamas for them to open on Christmas Eve.  We usually do a few "family gifts" like DVDs, card games, or board games that *most* everyone can enjoy (this seems to get a bit harder each year as I have a wider age range to shop for).  Sometimes I get a board game for younger ages and one for older ages.  Last year DH bought each of them an inexpensive tablet, which was their only individual gift...I picked up a couple DVDs and board games so they still had a couple things to open.

Another idea would be to have Christmas at home, either before or after your traveling.  You could bring each of them something small, but save bigger presents for later.

ETA: Another thing we do are "Secret Santa" gifts from their siblings.  Each child draws a name from a hat.  My DC love picking a gift for their siblings, yet by doing it this way, we only buy one gift for each of them.  We usually have a set amount (anywhere from $5-20, depending on our finances at the time).  No one knows who is buying their gift until after it's opened.

Consumables. And this isn't restricted to boring stuff, what about a consumable science kit, one of those make your own soap/volcano/whatever things. Or, one of those cool 'gelli baff' or 'gelli snow' packs, my kids love them. I have a bunch of sensory stuff like water beads and snow and growing toys from ebay this year. 

Colouring books and pencils? Art supplies? In fact, at those older ages there's lots of consumable craft 'kits' around.

Food, I still remember the year my parents individually wrapped mangoes and put them in the fridge for christmas (that was a very, very lean year financially, and were the only mangoes we got all summer. It's our absolute favourite fruit, mangoes in summer in Australia is just.... it's the taste of summer lol)

A board game. A puzzle.

Something to add to a collection of preexisting stuff, like a new set of lego to add to the others, some cheap play food to add to that set, some interesting blocks to add to that set. 

It's ok to buy a few $2-$5 presents just to have something to unwrap on christmas morning. 

Thanks. You have all given me some great ideas. Since the Royals won the World Series, I will definitely be getting some World Series stuff for their stockings. With that and your suggestions, I think they will be happy and we won't have to figure out how to transport so much stuff home.