Menu

New thread with no politics, tv or bad vibes allowed!!!!

COME ON, PEOPLE!!! OK, I'll start--ummm, thinking...

My dog hasn't pooped on anything in the house lately!!! Very, very happy about that!!! Oh, and someone in my local hs group gave me a printer yesterday, not just a printer, but a printer, copier, scanner & fax! With ink!! Isn't that cool? My 9 yo printer stopped working a while ago when my cat threw up in it (hey, she is 18, I forgive her basically anything), and it only printed, so I am soooo excited!!! I think I'm moving into the 21st century!

Anyone else? Good stuff?

I volunteer with a bird rehabilitator which means that I occasionally have to wrestle a pelican while a bandage is being changed or I get close and personal with a bird like an owl which would much rather rip my face off.

Anyway, today I learned where the expression "thin as a rail" comes from.

This, my friends, is a clapper rail:

Clapper.jpg

It is roughly 12 inches long--so I had assumed that I could place an injured clapper rail in a cage with bars an inch apart. Silly me. Thin as rail, indeed! Even an injured rail is an escape artist. I had to call in my son to help move pens and capture this elusive guy.

Given that birds poop when stressed, you can bet some showed up where it was not expected.

So that was my day--rail recovery.

Jane

COME ON, PEOPLE!!! Oh, and someone in my local hs group gave me a printer yesterday, not just a printer, but a printer, copier, scanner & fax! With ink!! Isn't that cool? My 9 yo printer stopped working a while ago when my cat threw up in it (hey, she is 18, I forgive her basically anything), and it only printed, so I am soooo excited!!! I think I'm moving into the 21st century!

Hey, that's awesome! :001_smile:

I volunteer with a bird rehabilitator which means that I occasionally have to wrestle a pelican while a bandage is being changed or I get close and personal with a bird like an owl which would much rather rip my face off.

Clapper.jpg

It is roughly 12 inches long--so I had assumed that I could place an injured clapper rail in a cage with bars an inch apart. Silly me. Thin as rail, indeed! Even an injured rail is an escape artist. I had to call in my son to help move pens and capture this elusive guy.

Given that birds poop when stressed, you can bet some showed up where it was not expected.

Jane

I know that must have been a hard day, but what amazing experiences you must have! One of my fave memories was going to a park in FL where the pelicans would come up right next to you--my dd was only 10 months old, and I so regret she can't remember it!

Another fun one was driving across the bridge from Sanibel Island (I think they call it a causeway?) to Naples, FL and having pelicans fly next to you, racing you! They did it every single day we went!! I ADORE pelicans!!!

I worked 12-hrs last night, slept 3 hrs this morning & my kids are still alive. I haven't even yelled (much). Everyone is (relatively) happy. I am (somewhat) coherent. Thats the good.

The not-so-good....we've gotten so much rain that our septic is backing up. Our garage & laundry room smell like (according to dd) "people poop" and we can't flush or run water except out of necesity. But the weatherman says SUNSHINE tomorrow!

hmmm... is "poop" the theme of this uncontroversial thread?

Only kind, interesting things may be spoken of here--nothing about POLITICS at all!!!! No TV, nothing with bad vibes--so, who has something interesting to share? Anyone?

How's this? Last Friday when I was reading SOTW to my 2 first graders I asked them how many gods the Egyptians worshipped. DD 5 said one and I said no so DS 6 piped in many. I then asked him if he could name any and he said sure. . .

"Father, Son and Holy Spirit". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whew, ok back to Religious Studies. :D

How's this? Last Friday when I was reading SOTW to my 2 first graders I asked them how many gods the Egyptians worshipped. DD 5 said one and I said no so DS 6 piped in many. I then asked him if he could name any and he said sure. . .

HA ha ha Too Funny! :lol:

I know that must have been a hard day, but what amazing experiences you must have! One of my fave memories was going to a park in FL where the pelicans would come up right next to you--my dd was only 10 months old, and I so regret she can't remember it!

Another fun one was driving across the bridge from Sanibel Island (I think they call it a causeway?) to Naples, FL and having pelicans fly next to you, racing you! They did it every single day we went!! I ADORE pelicans!!!

Well I too am fond of pelicans. Yesterday someone was fishing from a local pier and hooked a pelican with his line. He then hauled the bird up from the water to the pier. The poor thing--she was bleeding after the fisherman got the hook out. Anyway, she too is another new "guest" at the rehab center. Pelicans are vulnerable since they often get a fish hook snagged in a wing or other body part.

Eastern brown pelicans have made an amazing recovery in the last few decades after DDT nearly wiped them out. Still, I hate seeing these beauties suffer...

Jane

Hilarious!

36_1_13.gif

Oh, and someone in my local hs group gave me a printer yesterday, not just a printer, but a printer, copier, scanner & fax! With ink!! Isn't that cool?

I joined a clinical study on wound healing. They gave me $200 for the right to wound me and study the healing. (I forgot to take a picture of the wound. I only have one of the stitched up version:

2858102376_92f21fddba_m.jpg

I had to keep the stitches in for a week, and I kept seeing it out of the corner of my eye, and jumping. The stitches looked like a spider!)

So, I used the money to buy a printer. It's fast! And quiet. It's only b&w, but it's a laser.

My 21 year old son completely cleaned the kitchen, took out trash, cleaned the basement (where he "lives") while I sat on my keester, shopping online.

:D

Does he rent out? I'd hire him to do the same here....

We were further from the edge of Ike than predicted so we got modest wind and a bit of rain. Today has been beautiful.

I spent part of yesterday re-learning how to hand quilt. Such a pleasant way to spend time...rain on the roof and 'Sleepless in Seattle' on TV and fabric between my hands.

Today I created a draft of an article I want to write. Plus, spent time with the lovely people of my church this morning.

Best of all, my pilot guy comes home tonight. (Tea, anyone?:D )

Yeah! Hooray! I just bought two new (to me) types of tea bisquits: apple cinnamon and blueberry. They're in the oven right now and I can't *wait* to try them. Yum!

AND, we're doing biology this year, so we're accruing critters at the moment. Thus far, we have a betta (beautiful blue); a black moor (I LOVE this guy! His name is Popeye.); a freshwater tank set up with snails and crawfish,etc.; a gi-normous hermit crab (Purple-claw Pete, says my son); and another type of freshwater crab who is *so* cool! He's a red-claw. As a bonus, we have a large garden spider right outside our door, unless she's been blown away today by wind gusts up to 70 mph.

Well I too am fond of pelicans. Yesterday someone was fishing from a local pier and hooked a pelican with his line. He then hauled the bird up from the water to the pier. The poor thing--she was bleeding after the fisherman got the hook out. Anyway, she too is another new "guest" at the rehab center. Pelicans are vulnerable since they often get a fish hook snagged in a wing or other body part.

Eastern brown pelicans have made an amazing recovery in the last few decades after DDT nearly wiped them out. Still, I hate seeing these beauties suffer...

Jane

I didn't realize the fishing thing happened often with pelicans--I did realize the eastern browns were making a big comeback--we read about them recently--so glad! I truly adore them!

I'm still wondering if I would let someone wound me, but $200 is an awful lot of money! How did they do it PariSarah?

As for the 21 yo cleaning up, if he wants to practice, he can come over here!

I'm ignoring the tea biscuits--don't even want to guess what that might really mean ;)--and the homemade ice cream--I'm on a diet :(.

Maybe we should try a "Say something nice" thread everyday. When I was younger, we had to go around the table every night at supper (macaroni & cheese, lima beans, and spam) and share something nice that happened that day. Of course, as I remember we tried to be as repulsive as possible and often got sent from the table.....

4_12_12.gif

2858102376_92f21fddba_m.jpg

I had to keep the stitches in for a week, and I kept seeing it out of the corner of my eye, and jumping. The stitches looked like a spider!)

Woosh, that DOES look like a spider!

I learned to use a bow stringer from a YouTube video. Then helped dd use it to string her new recurve. It's a 30 pound bow. It's a little scary that my little girl has a grown up bow like that.

UPDATED TO ADD: I haven't had to blow my nose for the past 5 hours!

/Well...I went to prison tonight! Is that interesting? :001_huh:

Really, though, I did! I am the assistant to our church's Music Minister, and our Senior Adult choir went to the Women's Prison in our area to do a concert. I went early to help set up, and then thankfully was able to leave!

This is always an humbling experience, and one that I enjoy taking part in.

What exactly is spam? Enquiring minds wanna know--sort of. And phish food?

Well, I have a female only one--no looking Plaid Dad--I just got my monthly ahem, friend the other day (does no one here say period?). I had run out of pads, and my sister dropped off a variety for me (I don't know why she has different ones, don't ask) and I had gotten down to the last one before she took me to the store. It was a new one from Always, a special "overnight" one--I opened it to put it on, and it was, I swear, A DIAPER!!!! It was HUGE!!!! Almost as long as my underwear!! & I wear briefs!! (remember, not married, not dating, comfortable me!) And my underwear is huge! Haven't replaced it since I've lost 68 pounds! So I had to walk around all day until I finally got to a store with a huge diaper that moved everytime I did! NOT FUN!!!! Oh, and my sister, who does have really bad periods, LOVES them!

I can guarantee, I am never wearing another Always diaper again, as long as I live!

Clapper.jpg

Jane

Sort of resembles dd14b. :001_smile:

Clapper.jpg

Jane

Before children dh and I were wildlife rehabbers for several years. We worked 24/7 for the general public at a clinic on the Cape! Your adventure brings back lots of memories!

our family: a new kitten! We have one dog (Sam) and two cats (Frodo and Pippin---can you tell we like LOTR? :D ). But, the kids have been bugging us for about six months for a new kitten. So, we finally broke down and adopted a little runty kitten, but he's very adorable! He has black fur with an undercoat of brown. In fact, his fur kind of reminds me of that old Henry and Mudge book, Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat, where the cat that they rescued had fur that looked like "mashed prunes". He was 13-1/2 ounces last week, and we named him "Charlie". Yes---we should have named him Merry, but for some reason they decided to break with the tradition we started.

The only thing is---he doesn't know how to use the litter box! I thought this was instinctive for cats, but apparently in kittens this young (just 6 weeks now) it's not!!!

I wish I could post a picture of him, but I can't figure out how to upload family photos onto the internet so that I can link them here. Sorry!

The only thing is---he doesn't know how to use the litter box! I thought this was instinctive for cats, but apparently in kittens this young (just 6 weeks now) it's not!!!

I think their mamas teach them when they're little. The instinct isn't for a plastic box filled with store bought litter, after all. Mama teaches them where to do their business, so if they've never seen a litter box before they're not going to know what it's for. Probably the other cats will show him the ropes, so to speak.

I remember our first cat suddenly figuring out that he could do that outdoors. He had kept asking to come back in the house to use the box, and finally caught on that the other cats were actually relieving themselves outside. You could practically see the lightbulb go off in his head.

She said people would frequently call the center to report "baby eagles" that turned out to be full grown sparrows or somesuch and so when two guys came in with a cardboard box and that same story she had them set it down on a counter while she finished a phone call (to a woman who wanted to report the rabbits in her backyard were looking a little "runty" LOL) and fed some baby cardinals.

So the guys left, and apparently while this "baby eagle" was not in fact a baby, it was an eagle. And it was grumpy. It broke out of the box and immediately spotted the nest of cardinals. The rest of the story involves some cussing, several people rushing around, and liberal use of the special raptor gloves.

But the good news is the cardinals weren't destined to be the eagle's lunch, and the raptor rescue people came and rescued the eagle (or is it rescued the staff from the eagle? LOL) and she called the nice woman with the runty rabbits after the whole thing was over and continued the conversation as though it hadn't been interrupted so suddenly and with so much cussing.

:lol:

Her life is much more entertaining than mine! Aaaand I think I'll just keep it that way if I can! ;)

Jane

Oh! So *that's* the reason for the owl avatar!

Until now, I had come up with my own reason - Jane is as wise as an owl. :D

Two great things: DS has been going to bed around 1:30-2 am and just messing me and our schedule all around as a result. Last night he was asleep before 11:30!!!! So happy! Hoping it continues.

Then: DH is on "vacation" this week. He is painting our house, so not really a vacation. DS took a nap and DD was next door with the neighbor girls. Uninterrupted "tea" time with no babysitter!!

BTW: Love this thread and will rep the OP as soon as possible. I really enjoyed the "thin as a rail" story and the "people poop" story.

What exactly is spam? Enquiring minds wanna know--sort of. And phish food?

So I had to walk around all day until I finally got to a store with a huge diaper that moved everytime I did! NOT FUN!!!! Oh, and my sister, who does have really bad periods, LOVES them!

I can guarantee, I am never wearing another Always diaper again, as long as I live!

:lol::lol::lol:

I read somewhere, but have not had to try it, that this works:

Take a warm, moist cotton ball. Set the kitten in the litter box and "lap" at his tummy with the cotton ball like a mother cat would. Theoretically, this will make him want to go and you won't have to do it many times before he catches on.

I don't know if it will work.

RC