Menu

Reusable Water Bottles

Jean in Newcastle

I hand wash, drain on the draining board or a dish towel, then store in the cupboard with the caps off so any residual dampness can evaporate. That's pretty much how I tackled toddlers' milk bottles, and those never grew mould, I don't worry about the water bottles.

• Like 1

I definitely need a better storage solution. I would love to have a big drawer in the kitchen that I could throw them in with a little basket in the drawer for the caps.

We have way more than 1 per person but we use most of them. Soccer player sometimes needs more than 1, dh has a couple of insulated ones, we each have one for regular every day needs, there are a couple of freebies we use when they could get lost (cross country practice) etc. At the moment they are in the same cupboard where we keep glasses, top shelf, caps in a little basket on lowest shelf. Not ideal. Kiddos can't really reach top shelf (I barely can), dented Kleen Kanteens tend to wobble and fall, etc. I'll be checking this thread to see if anyone has a storage solution we could implement in our smallish home.

I wash them in the dishwasher and store some of them in a deep drawer and the rest in a cabinet without their lids. Lids are kept in a separate basket in the drawer. We have soo many from various races and events; I swear they multiply when I'm not watching.

• Like 1

My daughter that can keep up with hers  :rolleyes:  washes the bottle, sets it to dry, then pretty much uses it again.  She is an athletic kid and uses a WB daily.  The ones I use (activities, picnics, etc.) I wash, leave to dry, then store without lids in a plastic box with thermoses, etc. 

I am in a humid area and worry about mold and bacteria.  I am also too lazy to take bits of a WB apart, so I purchase bottles that are easy-to-clean (i.e., ones with largish. round holes; not those with flip thingies).    

• Like 1

Dishwasher when I notice they need it. A rinse and quick scrub on a daily use basis otherwise.

They're sideways in the snack cabinet right now, but I was thinking of reorganizing to a drawer. I need to redo a number of things about the kitchen organization, honestly. It's funny how what you eat and use changes over time and thus the organization of your kitchen drawers and cabinets changes too.

• Like 2

I have a canvas basket under one cabinet in which I store them. I store them with caps on, but I let them air-dry on the counter before capping them and putting them horizontal in the canvas basket.

I hate matching lids to anything!

I wash them in the dishwasher and let air dry.  The lid (and straw if they have one) get put on the cup before it is put away.  Once dry, they go  in an awkward cupboard we have, or the bottom drawer in the kitchen.  

We have about 14 various hot or cold cups due to sports and different preferences, so we have to have a system.  LOL   We have 5 family members and it isn't uncommon for anyone of us to have 2 at a time going (hot coffee for morning and water bottle for later, or 2 water bottles for sport practice etc)

4 sig bottles

2 glass/silicone

4 polar

4 coffee

I hate matching lids to anything!

I wash them in the dishwasher and let air dry.  The lid (and straw if they have one) get put on the cup before it is put away.  Once dry, they go  in an awkward cupboard we have, or the bottom drawer in the kitchen.  

We have about 14 various hot or cold cups due to sports and different preferences, so we have to have a system.  LOL   We have 5 family members and it isn't uncommon for anyone of us to have 2 at a time going (hot coffee for morning and water bottle for later, or 2 water bottles for sport practice etc)

4 sig bottles

2 glass/silicone

4 polar

4 coffee

You should get Yeti cups so you won't have manage so many! They're expensive but worth it.

In response to the OP, DH is the only one who uses one. He washes it out each night and dries it on the drying mat. He uses it everyday so I have no idea if it fits in the cabinet. His old Nalgene bottle did not, though. It lived on the counter next to the coffee pot.

You should get Yeti cups so you won't have manage so many! They're expensive but worth it.

In response to the OP, DH is the only one who uses one. He washes it out each night and dries it on the drying mat. He uses it everyday so I have no idea if it fits in the cabinet. His old Nalgene bottle did not, though. It lived on the counter next to the coffee pot.

Nice idea.....but we would each still need two Yeti to take with us at a time due to taking two different kinds of liquids.  

• Like 1

We have one per person, so they are in constant use. I put them through the dishwasher and they are refilled immediately.  The caps are attached so we don't lose lids.

Actually, we do have a few extras that we don't often use.  Those air dry on the counter for a day and then are capped and stored.

I had to adjust the shelf height in one of the cupboards. We don't have very many bottles that aren't used daily, but the ones that do get stored (including some larger bottles) go on a low shelf, where I also keep the pitchers/jugs. Everything is stored upside down, like water glasses and mugs. 

Since making the one shelf higher, I was able to fit a cupboard shelf organizer in there, and keep all of the lids for bottles and jugs on one of the shelves. 

Another idea for lids is to put them all in one bowl. I store all of my assorted plastic tupperware lids in a large plastic tupperware bowl. The bowl would have been tossed if I wasn't using it for storage, so it's not like I have to empty the lids out each time I need to use the bowl - since I don't use the bowl...

I hand wash, drain on the draining board or a dish towel, then store in the cupboard with the caps off so any residual dampness can evaporate. That's pretty much how I tackled toddlers' milk bottles, and those never grew mould, I don't worry about the water bottles.

This is how I handle ours :). We don't have that many, an insulated metal one for each of us, two Brita bottles, and two travel coffee mugs. I donated all the freebie ones last year to make space.

Does anyone else have a problem of still ending up with way too many plastic bottles?  We have nice reusable bottles.  I try really hard to fill mine, and use it (sometimes I forget) but nobody else does.  I hate this!  We still end up with a zillion plastic bottles floating around.  At one point we had 18 half empty bottles in the car.  18. :blink:  We are a family of three.

• Like 1

Our solution is to treat them like Tupperware/Pyrex.

So they are all in one place all mixed up and every year we have to recycle about 50% of them because they don't have their lids, and we also have like 50 lids with no water bottles attached to them. But we are sure that as soon as we recycle the lids we will find the bottles. So they sit there.

Then half the time the kids forget them by the door and we end up using water fountains anyway.

I have a plastic bin in a closet near the kitchen that I keep all of our bottles and insulated coffee cups in.  I have a smaller plastic box beside it that all the lids get tossed into.  I don't store them with the lids on because they tend to get gross if I do.  

I have a glass one from Target (Zulu brand) that I love.  No straws or hard to clean bits, and since it is glass it doesn't make my water taste weird.  

My sister puts hers on the back of her pantry door in a shoe organizer.

I only like the ones that get clean in the dishwasher. I have one that screws together near the middle so it goes in the dishwasher in two pieces (plus the lid). If I don't use that one I just use a travel coffee mug. Basically, it it doesn't come clean in the dishwasher I'm not interested.