Menu

Another random "Help me raise my kid" poll

Southern Ivy

Preschool decisions  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Which option would you choose?

• Stay where she is
    • Send her to public (free) preschool
    • Never mind - only 2 days for this school so it's now out of the running.

Here's the scenario: 

Dh and I are working hard to pay off the remainder of my student loans. It will take approximately 21 months to complete. 
I HAVE to work if we are going to do this, so keeping dd home is not an option at this point, though we both want to be able to homeschool her later on. 

Right now, she is at a private Christian preschool/daycare (using A Beka). The fact that it is open until 6 is a huge reason why we chose it. However, it's costing us over $6,000 a year. (I do know this is very reasonable for childcare, especially considering she's getting preschool as well.)
We like the preschool and she seems to enjoy it as well. Still, it's a huge chunk of money. 

For next year, I'm tossing around sending her to the public school Pre-K. My only concern is that, with the all the rigor being pushed in my district, she will just be another number to them and will hate school. 

We have a third option and that's a Lutheran school just 20 minutes north of us, in another town. No guarantee we could get in, as non-Lutheran's are almost last to be accepted. But, it would ensure a small class size and it's only $2500 a year, with $3/hr after-school care.     EDIT: Never mind. Lutheran preschool is just 2 days a week. Boo. I read it wrong the other day. 

If you were me, what would you do? 

Keep her where she is since she's doing well? 
Send her to public Pre-K to save money? 
Put her in the Lutheran preschool to save money and keep her class size small? 

**Side note: There is honest to goodness no other child care available in this area for her age. Her last sitter is retiring this year, so that's out of the question. That's another reason why we are trying to get out of debt - we'd like another child, but there is no childcare to be had in this town, so I'd have to stay home. 
It's really quite bizarre how there are no options here! 

So are you hoping to quit when the loans are paid off and then homeschool or will she be attending school when she gets to kindy?  If the goal was debt paying, I'd look closely at the public option.  The K4 here is much more fun and out of the box than kindy and is a popular program.  Especially if you have a child that likes a group dynamic and is go with the flow in personality.

If you are planning on sending her to school, then it might depend on what you're doing for kindy that would affect my choice.  Like if she had an opportunity to start meeting kids and being in an environment where she'd go to K, that might be a good choice. 

Is the Lutheran Option well out of the way for you?  I'd do some math figuring out the gas and time spent over the year if it is.  40 minutes round trip seems high to me, but I used to stumble 3 blocks for my dd's preschool.

Anyway - good luck with your decisions.

• Like 1

What time does the Lutheran school end? If she's there 2 hours/day after school ends, then that's an additional $6*180=$1080. And then, driving 20 min costs gas money too (I'm not going to try to do the math on that, but it will add up).

Have you visited the public pre-K? Public school might be fine for pre-K, even if they're too rigorous in K and up. Or it may not be - I haven't been to the school.

So are you hoping to quit when the loans are paid off and then homeschool or will she be attending school when she gets to kindy?  If the goal was debt paying, I'd look closely at the public option.  The K4 here is much more fun and out of the box than kindy and is a popular program.  Especially if you have a child that likes a group dynamic and is go with the flow in personality.

If you are planning on sending her to school, then it might depend on what you're doing for kindy that would affect my choice.  Like if she had an opportunity to start meeting kids and being in an environment where she'd go to K, that might be a good choice. 

Is the Lutheran Option well out of the way for you?  I'd do some math figuring out the gas and time spent over the year if it is.  40 minutes round trip seems high to me, but I used to stumble 3 blocks for my dd's preschool.

Anyway - good luck with your decisions.

The goal is to homeschool. Honestly, the goal was to be out of debt by now and THEN start having kids, but she surprised us 3 years early. haha 

We'd like to another another child and the childcare situation around here does not make that easy if you have to work. So, the plan is to stay home with any other kids and to homeschool. 

As for dd, she is a true introvert. She HATES leaving the house. She'd be content to stay home and play with her farm and dollhouse all day. She enjoys learning and I can tell she enjoys her friends at school, but she is always more than ready to come home. 

Lutheran school is now out of the running. I misread and it's only 2 days. So, that won't work for us. 

What time does the Lutheran school end? If she's there 2 hours/day after school ends, then that's an additional $6*180=$1080. And then, driving 20 min costs gas money too (I'm not going to try to do the math on that, but it will add up).

Have you visited the public pre-K? Public school might be fine for pre-K, even if they're too rigorous in K and up. Or it may not be - I haven't been to the school.

And this is why I come to the Hive! You all do the math for me. haha 

Since it's only 2 days a week, it's now out of the running. So, it's public or the current one. :/ 

Several of my teacher co-workers have their kids in the public preschool and they seem to like it. She could ride the bus over to my school and just stay with me until I'm done. My only concern is childcare on days that I have to work later and so does my DH, but I guess we could always see if a friend of ours could keep her. 

• Like 1

If there is seriously (literally) no available childcare options for parents and kids in your locality: such that people pay $500 per month because 'it's preschool too'... My solution would be to provide childcare for my child (break even) and another few (profit!) -- apparently people would be breaking down my door if I charged anything less than an extortionist rates.

Therefore I would be working, paying off my loan, saving $6000 a year, and happier about what me and my child were getting out of these young years. Plus, free to have a baby whenever.

To do this, I would take done sort of minor training and get a certification of some kind... It justifies slightly higher rates and comforts parents that 'preschool' isn't a huge thing to not be going for their littlest ones.

What I'm saying is that you seem to have identified an "unmet market demand" -- and in those cases it's smart to ask, "Instead of paying for the high demand, what if I made the high demand pay me?"

• Like 20

If there is seriously (literally) no available childcare options for parents and kids in your locality: such that people pay $500 per month because 'it's preschool too'... My solution would be to provide childcare for my child (break even) and another few (profit!) -- apparently people would be breaking down my door if I charged anything less than an extortionist rates.

Therefore I would be working, paying off my loan, saving $6000 a year, and happier about what me and my child were getting out of these young years. Plus, free to have a baby whenever.

To do this, I would take done sort of minor training and get a certification of some kind... It justifies slightly higher rates and comforts parents that 'preschool' isn't a huge thing to not be going for their littlest ones.

There really is none. I found our original sitter (kept dd from 3mos until 3yrs) by word of mouth and she only took my dd because I was a teacher. The other 2 options for childcare are older and retiring this year as well. It's so bad that the school board is looking at providing childcare so that they will stop losing teachers to districts in larger cities. We currently have 7 pregnant teachers in our district. Not one of them has found childcare yet. It's honestly a stressful thing in this town. 

I have considered keeping some kids after my loans are paid off. Just to bring in some extra income.

At this point, though, stopping work and keeping several other people's kids would not provide what is needed to meet our goal. I wish it would. I'd stop now and stay home! 

I have a teaching degree, state certified PreK-6th. So, unless there is other certification I need, I'm covered there. :)

ETA: Just curious - Do you think that $500 a month for childcare is expensive? We only pay $110 a week which is what was charged 10 years ago in a large city daycare where I used to work. I guess I thought it was reasonable. 

I don't think $110/week is high; around here it's $200 for full time care. I don't know how much  you owe on your loans, but if you could put that $6000 toward them and have them paid off faster, I'd definitely go that route. K and even 1st in public school in order to be homeschooling sooner would probably be a great thing for you. 

• Like 3

$500 a month is incredibly cheap here for full-time pre-school with before care, so I think you're doing great. I completely understand your situation.

My suggestion is: go to the public school. Talk to the teachers and admin. Go to the open house. You're not asking for anything wacky, you're not asking for accommodations. You're just deciding whether to move her to pre-K now, or keep her in pre-school until kindergarten. No need to mention homeschooling. If their biggest argument to be in pre-K is that she needs to get used to their system, that's problematic anyway. Explain it as, "She's in a great pre-school, but we don't know if we should move her to pre-K before kindergarten or not. We've decided to see which program best suits her needs."

I don't regret paying for high quality pre-school for my children (which cost WAY more than $500/month, but I got assistance as a student at the time). Of course, this was before universal pre-K all of three years ago.  :sneaky2: So I didn't have to make the choice you're making, but I did have to choose sending her to public kindergarten before a move (we planned to move after I graduated), or paying for one more year in the pre-school. It was an immersion school and I ended up very happy with that choice as she continues fluency in that language. In your case, it's one year of free pre-K, but with the cost of transition, and possibly worse instruction, correct? There is also the possibility that she will see her friends going on to K in the same school, vs. at the private pre-school, where everyone moves on. Depending on how social she is, that could be an issue in getting buy-in as a homeschooling mom.

I don't remember which district you're in. Several teachers on this board are not happy with their schools but it sounds like some of you guys have great communities. Obviously that would make a huge difference!

We currently have 7 pregnant teachers in our district. Not one of them has found childcare yet. It's honestly a stressful thing in this town. 

It's another cyclical baby boom coming up here and our country is not in the least prepared to deal with all these kids! On the plus side, you are going to be able to make a killing if you are able to keep your certification fresh and tutor. We have a baby boom in my town and tutors are worth their weight in gold--as are instructional assistants who work part-time.

• Like 3

I've not paid for childcare, but it does make me wonder what kind of excellent jobs working mothers must have that (their monthly wages, net, minus $500+ for child care) is actually that much greater than ($500 savings, plus 2, 3 or 4 times, say $400). Are you sure you've run that calculation? To me, that means that, monthly your net pay is greater than $2,100 in a significant way?

My cost/benefit would be done this way... 1. Subtract "what I could earn from home" from "what I currently earn" per month.

2. Ask myself, "For (whatever hundred dollars per month) what have I gained (speed of pay off the loan -- in months to completion, plus other personal things that are "pros" to you) and what have I given up that I'd rather not (which is different for every person)?

I'm not trying to press you, as if I knew the answer for you... Just giving you a framework that might help weigh your options well.

• Like 2

I don't think $110/week is high; around here it's $200 for full time care. I don't know how much  you owe on your loans, but if you could put that $6000 toward them and have them paid off faster, I'd definitely go that route. K and even 1st in public school in order to be homeschooling sooner would probably be a great thing for you. 

Paying it off in 21 mos would put us right at the beginning of Kindergarten which is the goal. 

About to talk money here. Sorry to those who think it's rude. :)

We are living off DH's salary and paying off the student loans with mine. By snowballing and paying more (trying to average at least $2000 a month towards just the loans), having that $6,000 would only shave off 3 months of student loan payments. Not huge in the grand scheme of things, but still nice. However, I could also teach summer school and tutor this year and make the same amount. 

I've not paid for childcare, but it does make me wonder what kind of excellent jobs working mothers must have that (their monthly wages, net, minus $500+ for child care) is actually that much greater than ($500 savings, plus 2, 3 or 4 times, say $400). Are you sure you've run that calculation? To me, that means that, monthly your net pay is greater than $2,100 in a significant way?

My cost/benefit would be done this way... 1. Subtract "what I could earn from home" from "what I currently earn" per month.

2. Ask myself, "For (whatever hundred dollars per month) what have I gained (speed of pay off the loan -- in months to completion, plus other personal things that are "pros" to you) and what have I given up that I'd rather not (which is different for every person)?

I'm not trying to press you, as if I knew the answer for you... Just giving you a framework that might help weigh your options well.

I don't understand your math. Even making just $24,000/year, even paying taxes on that because you're married, you still come out to like $1,800/month. Minus $500/month for child care, you come out with $1,300 disposable income to pay down debt.

Even with two kids, as a single parent, with my kids in full-time care, it still paid off to work. Just barely, but it paid off, even when I was making very little. I would have had to defer student loan payments otherwise.

As a teacher, please god say she's making at least $45k with benefits, please. Otherwise I'll cry for this country. At $45k, that's a good $3.5k/month. Note that that would be a beginning teacher's salary, and below the median income. She OUGHT to be making that much for helping 28+ kids create their future every day! That would put her at $3,000 above what it costs to put her child in daycare.

While the working classes have a hard time with 2+ children, for a woman with a professional salary and just one child, the equation should work out really well.

My suggestion is: go to the public school. Talk to the teachers and admin. Go to the open house. You're not asking for anything wacky, you're not asking for accommodations. You're just deciding whether to move her to pre-K now, or keep her in pre-school until kindergarten. No need to mention homeschooling. If their biggest argument to be in pre-K is that she needs to get used to their system, that's problematic anyway. Explain it as, "She's in a great pre-school, but we don't know if we should move her to pre-K before kindergarten or not. We've decided to see which program best suits her needs."

I agree with this. Go thoroughly check out the public pre-school. My youngest did half-day public school preschool (which was not free). It was wonderful. There were 18 kids and two certified teachers. She is extremely shy, but the teachers were great and she got acquainted quickly and thrived there. Dropping your expenses by $6000 will help you stop working that much sooner. 

However, I would make sure you like what they are doing in ps preschool. Make sure you like the teachers and their philosophy. Ours was quite academic, but there was also outside playtime and lots of center time. The kids weren't expected to sit still much at all. 

If she goes to the public, will she lose her place where she is or is there a chance she could return? If she can get back in where she is, it would make me even more willing to try the public.

• Like 4

No, I completely understand that. :) This is why I ask, so I am forced to think outside the box. 

Ok, so thinking this through and assuming I'm doing my math correctly...

If I were to have in-home daycare, I would save $500 in childcare, plus make $1200 a month, that's essentially $1700 a month. That's being generous as in-home childcare here at the max is $90. (Small, rural community and people gripe about "spending so much on childcare".)

Yearly, that would only be 20, 400. Adding in self-employment tax, that takes it down to $19,000 a year/

So, yeah, my current net pay is definitely greater than $1600 a month. 

I wouldn't call mine an "excellent" job, but it is more than enough to pay off my loans in 21 mos (with the benefit of having summers off!).

• Like 1

(This comment in reply to "Tsuga" -- having trouble quoting.)

Because I live and work not only in another demographic, another field, but also in another country, I provided math instead of answers. I have no idea what American teachers are paid. I don't know how they are taxed. I don't know what childcare is supposed to cost -- these are things that vary massively. I don't even know whether "Southern Ivy" is an American teacher. She could be from any English speaking country, or an ex-pat in a non-English speaking country. The world is enormous.

However, going with the probability that she is local to you (not to me) it makes perfect sense to me that if (in the case you describe, which I have no idea if it's likely or not, or if it is just or not) So, IF by working "I" gain $1300 disposable to pay off debt... Then, by ( a ) not paying childcare, AND ( b ) supplemented with 3 children paying me for childcare at a 20% lower rate, I gain $1200 disposable for debt payment. To me, that's substantively similar in financial terms, and more pleasant in personal terms.

I think perhaps you think I am comparing working with not working (just saving childcare costs, making nothing)? I'm not. I'm comparing her current employment with the possibility of her becoming a high-demand childcare provider in an area where childcare is precious and hard to secure.

Your comments make sense for comparing simple savings for staying home against her current employment.

My comments make sense for comparing her current job against *starting a day home.*

$500 a month is incredibly cheap here for full-time pre-school with before care, so I think you're doing great. I completely understand your situation.

It's another cyclical baby boom coming up here and our country is not in the least prepared to deal with all these kids! On the plus side, you are going to be able to make a killing if you are able to keep your certification fresh and tutor. We have a baby boom in my town and tutors are worth their weight in gold--as are instructional assistants who work part-time.

I was actually shocked at how cheap it was which is why we chose it initially. She was ready for more structure than she was getting at the in-home daycare, but she was too young for the public preschool. 

My license now expires when I'm 99. lol Gotta love Missouri! I've considered tutoring, especially since I know the curriculum here. 

In your case, it's one year of free pre-K, but with the cost of transition, and possibly worse instruction, correct? There is also the possibility that she will see her friends going on to K in the same school, vs. at the private pre-school, where everyone moves on. Depending on how social she is, that could be an issue in getting buy-in as a homeschooling mom.

She is semi-social. She likes her friends, but she is an introvert and much happier at home. I don't think buy-in would be a problem. 

I am at the elementary school every now and then, so I may see if I can sneak down to talk to one of the Pre-K teachers; just get a feel for what they do during the day. 

I don't remember which district you're in. Several teachers on this board are not happy with their schools but it sounds like some of you guys have great communities. Obviously that would make a huge difference!

I'm in a rural SW Missouri district. Very technology heavy, which has it's perks, but we don't do spelling/grammar right now, elementary has no science/social studies, etc. I like the district, but I have some issues with it in regards to my child's education. 

(This comment in reply to "Tsuga" -- having trouble quoting.)

Because I live and work not only in another demographic, another field, but also in another country, I provided math instead of answers. I have no idea what American teachers are paid. I don't know how they are taxed. I don't know what childcare is supposed to cost -- these are things that vary massively. I don't even know whether "Southern Ivy" is an American teacher. She could be from any English speaking country, or an ex-pat in a non-English speaking country. The world is enormous.

However, going with the probability that she is local to you (not to me) it makes perfect sense to me that if (in the case you describe, which I have no idea if it's likely or not, or if it is just or not) So, IF by working "I" gain $1300 disposable to pay off debt... Then, by ( a ) not paying childcare, AND ( b ) supplemented with 3 children paying me for childcare at a 20% lower rate, I gain $1200 disposable for debt payment. To me, that's substantively similar in financial terms, and more pleasant in personal terms.

I think perhaps you think I am comparing working with not working (just saving childcare costs, making nothing)? I'm not. I'm comparing her current employment with the possibility of her becoming a high-demand childcare provider in an area where childcare is precious and hard to secure.

Your comments make sense for comparing simple savings for staying home against her current employment.

My comments make sense for comparing her current job against *starting a day home.*

I didn't understand the "starting a day home" part, sorry about that!

I don't understand your math. Even making just $24,000/year, even paying taxes on that because you're married, you still come out to like $1,800/month. Minus $500/month for child care, you come out with $1,300 disposable income to pay down debt.

Even with two kids, as a single parent, with my kids in full-time care, it still paid off to work. Just barely, but it paid off, even when I was making very little. I would have had to defer student loan payments otherwise.

As a teacher, please god say she's making at least $45k with benefits, please. Otherwise I'll cry for this country. At $45k, that's a good $3.5k/month. Note that that would be a beginning teacher's salary, and below the median income. She OUGHT to be making that much for helping 28+ kids create their future every day! That would put her at $3,000 above what it costs to put her child in daycare.

While the working classes have a hard time with 2+ children, for a woman with a professional salary and just one child, the equation should work out really well.

I wish that was our beginning salary!! I'm around $39K at 6 years, but I also I have no Masters. This is a low-paying area, though our district is the highest paying. If I were 2 hours south, I'd definitely be making at least $45K. 

DH has a fantastic job up here, though, so we can take a hit to my salary. 

I was actually shocked at how cheap it was which is why we chose it initially. She was ready for more structure than she was getting at the in-home daycare, but she was too young for the public preschool. 

My license now expires when I'm 99. lol Gotta love Missouri! I've considered tutoring, especially since I know the curriculum here. 

What. Lucky you!

She is semi-social. She likes her friends, but she is an introvert and much happier at home. I don't think buy-in would be a problem. 

I am at the elementary school every now and then, so I may see if I can sneak down to talk to one of the Pre-K teachers; just get a feel for what they do during the day. 

I'm in a rural SW Missouri district. Very technology heavy, which has it's perks, but we don't do spelling/grammar right now, elementary has no science/social studies, etc. I like the district, but I have some issues with it in regards to my child's education. 

I would really worry about no science in elementary. How sad--for our kids, even when they are not in love with science, that's what they talk about because it's so interesting. Social science... so they never talk about their city, their personal history? Ugh. That sucks. I can see why you're planning to homeschool. And what does it mean "no spelling or grammar"? I guess my question would be what are they learning? Math only? This is irrelevant to your thread, sorry. I'm curious.

I agree with this. Go thoroughly check out the public pre-school. My youngest did half-day public school preschool (which was not free). It was wonderful. There were 18 kids and two certified teachers. She is extremely shy, but the teachers were great and she got acquainted quickly and thrived there. Dropping your expenses by $6000 will help you stop working that much sooner. 

However, I would make sure you like what they are doing in ps preschool. Make sure you like the teachers and their philosophy. Ours was quite academic, but there was also outside playtime and lots of center time. The kids weren't expected to sit still much at all. 

If she goes to the public, will she lose her place where she is or is there a chance she could return? If she can get back in where she is, it would make me even more willing to try the public.

Because they offer all day childcare, it can be hard to get in. So, I'd bet she'd lose her spot. 

I am pretty sure my sister is paying at least 1,000 a month for preschool/daycare for one four year old.

But, yes, if daycare options in my area were actually that slim, I would open a daycare/preschool. That would take care of the student loan debt right there.  I have a good friend who homeschooled all five of her kids while running a very nice in home daycare center.  She has employees and everything. It gave her the income she needed to stay at home with her kids and allowed her to homeschool. She is fully certified, can be reimbursed by DSS etc. It has proven to be a great business for her as a homeschooling mother.

But, you don't have to start so big, you could just take in one or two kids that are the same age as your child.  You don't have to offer pre-school, just daycare. If you offer quality care, without television for example, lots of crafts and books, you will have no problem finding families.

For a couple years I offered afterschool care and easily made grocery money. I had to pick up the child at her school at 2, and then I brought her home, gave her a snack and she played with my kid until 5.  It was pretty easy for 3 hours a day of work. I made 10$ an hour, so 150$ a week.

If you're making about $30k take home, then IMHO 20% of that designated for childcare is way too much. I'd take the public option for a year, go serious rice and beans, and be done with the debt. I am a pull off the band aid quickly kind of person, though.

ETA - If you shave 3 months off the front, not the back, the snowball moves much faster. Mentally it's also much more encouraging. The mental part of debt reduction is so huge that those three months are a big deal.

• Like 1

There really is none. I found our original sitter (kept dd from 3mos until 3yrs) by word of mouth and she only took my dd because I was a teacher. The other 2 options for childcare are older and retiring this year as well. It's so bad that the school board is looking at providing childcare so that they will stop losing teachers to districts in larger cities. We currently have 7 pregnant teachers in our district. Not one of them has found childcare yet. It's honestly a stressful thing in this town. 

I have considered keeping some kids after my loans are paid off. Just to bring in some extra income.

At this point, though, stopping work and keeping several other people's kids would not provide what is needed to meet our goal. I wish it would. I'd stop now and stay home! 

I have a teaching degree, state certified PreK-6th. So, unless there is other certification I need, I'm covered there. :)

ETA: Just curious - Do you think that $500 a month for childcare is expensive? We only pay $110 a week which is what was charged 10 years ago in a large city daycare where I used to work. I guess I thought it was reasonable. 

$500/mo for childcare is a steal. We currently pay $194/week for DS in a high-quality childcare center affiliated with the university where DH is a student. At that it's partly subsidized by the university, tuition in the company's other centers in the area is higher.

You just reminded me that we need to figure out where to send him for K next fall. This is a problem because I honestly don't even know where we'll be living.

Well it's one thing if it's not a small four year old in a new school who is dealing with most of the pain from pulling off the band-aid, kwim?

Child care is the most important thing you'll ever pay for. IMO, that's the LAST thing you cut, not the first.

Well it's one thing if it's not a small four year old in a new school who is dealing with most of the pain from pulling off the band-aid, kwim?

Child care is the most important thing you'll ever pay for. IMO, that's the LAST thing you cut, not the first.

True, I agree, but sometimes what is "the best" option for my child is one I cannot afford. From the OPs earlier post the concern was the school pushing to much - something that can be mitigated by parents. It was a philosophical issue - not safety or anything like that.

Again, from my personal perspective, I would not even consider a private school if I had debt. I am very anti debt.

• Like 1

I think I'd suck it up and keep her where she is for 1 more year.  Sounds like a lot of money, but in the long run it is probably worth it.  If you put her in public pre-K, wouldn't you have to have a second childcare solution anyway?

Public school is not really free and it can be a lot more work for the parents.

• Like 2

True, I agree, but sometimes what is "the best" option for my child is one I cannot afford. From the OPs earlier post the concern was the school pushing to much - something that can be mitigated by parents. It was a philosophical issue - not safety or anything like that.

Again, from my personal perspective, I would not even consider a private school if I had debt. I am very anti debt.

Absolutely--you do your best and that's all you can do.

I'm anti-debt and am working to pay off mine as well, but OP is actually paying down quite a bit of debt with the present option.

SKL's point is also really valid--what about before and after school care?

• Like 1

I would really worry about no science in elementary. How sad--for our kids, even when they are not in love with science, that's what they talk about because it's so interesting. Social science... so they never talk about their city, their personal history? Ugh. That sucks. I can see why you're planning to homeschool. And what does it mean "no spelling or grammar"? I guess my question would be what are they learning? Math only? This is irrelevant to your thread, sorry. I'm curious.

They state that science/social studies is integrated into our reading program.  :lol: That's laughable. Reading a leveled reader 2x-3x a week is not science or social studies. Seriously - the last few years, my students have thought that Christopher Columbus came over on the Mayflower. 

So, for the last 5 years, we have been told to scrap the spelling and grammar portions of the language arts curriculum, instead focusing on the reading skills (Author's Purpose, Context Clues, Root Words and Affixes, etc.) Based on the reading program and all the other RtI (Response to Intervention) times we had to include, there honestly wasn't/isn't time for these. So, now, the students struggle with spelling, have no idea what a noun or verb is, struggle with capitalization (random capital letters everywhere), and can barely form complete sentences. (This is 4th grade. And obviously, there are some that are better and some that are worse than others.) I hate it. :/ 

We just got a new math curriculum (enVision). It's a million times better than Everyday Math that we were doing, but since the kids have never had a mastery curriculum and have never had to deal with the Singapore Math-like critical thinking, it can be slow going. We can take an hour and a half to do math (whole group and math small groups). 

My room is different this year, though, as our new principal has me in a 1:1 iPad room (each student has an iPad). We are now doing more inquiry blocks and Project-Based Learning units. I'm doing more to incorporate science and social studies, but there's a LOT to catch up on. 

I'd probably be looking at the public pre-school option.

I don't know where you live, but you could also look at teaching through a virtual school -- I know some places are hiring elementary teachers (although there are more postings for middle and high school).  This would allow you to work from home -- and you could still send your dd to the public pre-school option, but you wouldn't have the before care or after care to worry about.

I had looked at getting my certification for middle school and high school (I've been looking into certifications in middle school math & science, and/or Middle/High School History or English.   But I'm not sure how I'd accomplish the 6 months of student teaching :p

• Like 1

In this case, don't consider it a private school. Consider it daycare. That's essentially what it is with some A Beka curriculum thrown in. And, unfortunately, we need the daycare if we're both going to work to finish off this debt snowbal. 

We are very anti-debt, so I get where you are coming from. (I wish I had been in college!)

If we had other cheaper childcare choices right now, we would take them. 

We do have a six figure salary, so it's not the 20% of the income that was mentioned before. It's very reasonable childcare for our current situation. And, while I agree with your comment that shaving off $6K would make the debt snowball go faster, we don't pay upfront; it would only be a surplus of $440 a month to the debt snowball, not a lump sum of $6K to get it rolling faster. 

I'd probably be looking at the public pre-school option.

I don't know where you live, but you could also look at teaching through a virtual school -- I know some places are hiring elementary teachers (although there are more postings for middle and high school).  This would allow you to work from home -- and you could still send your dd to the public pre-school option, but you wouldn't have the before care or after care to worry about.

I had looked at getting my certification for middle school and high school (I've been looking into certifications in middle school math & science, and/or Middle/High School History or English.   But I'm not sure how I'd accomplish the 6 months of student teaching :p

Do you have any suggestions for finding these jobs? I have looked before and I haven't seen many Missouri options. 

I think I'd suck it up and keep her where she is for 1 more year.  Sounds like a lot of money, but in the long run it is probably worth it.  If you put her in public pre-K, wouldn't you have to have a second childcare solution anyway?

Public school is not really free and it can be a lot more work for the parents.

Absolutely--you do your best and that's all you can do.

I'm anti-debt and am working to pay off mine as well, but OP is actually paying down quite a bit of debt with the present option.

SKL's point is also really valid--what about before and after school care?

Dh could take her to school, but we could very possibly need after-school care and I'm pretty certain the Y only takes Kindergarten-6. Most of the time, her riding the bus to my school would not be an issue; but on days I have to stay late or days when school is out and teachers have professional development, I'd have no childcare. 

Gah! So many different things to think about! 

Does she like where she is?  Do you like where she is?  If so, I would keep her there.  If you said keeping her there would put your debt repayment plan off by a year or more then maybe I would say switch her.  But if you are happy, and only talking about 3 months payoff difference, I wouldn't trade a known for an unknown.

My two cents.

• Like 3

Does she like where she is?  Do you like where she is?  If so, I would keep her there.  If you said keeping her there would put your debt repayment plan off by a year or more then maybe I would say switch her.  But if you are happy, and only talking about 3 months payoff difference, I wouldn't trade a known for an unknown.

My two cents.

We do like where she is and she seems to like where she is. 

ETA: The pro with this is that it is open from 6am-6pm. If DH is ever out of town (which can happen spur of the moment based on situations in his job), I can easily take her early and still make it to work on time. If she went to the public Pre-K, we'd have to clear it with the buses for her to ride that day or I'd have to drop her off and be late to my own job (I have to report at 7:30). 

Do you have any suggestions for finding these jobs? I have looked before and I haven't seen many Missouri options. 

Here's a link to the virtual schools that work in MO.  You would apply to the schools individually.  I know K12 only has high school teaching positions available.  For any of these, I think you would complete an online application, I know K12 requires a test.  Keep it active, as sometimes jobs pop open at the strangest times ;)

Best wishes!

• Like 2

Here's a link to the virtual schools that work in MO.  You would apply to the schools individually.  I know K12 only has high school teaching positions available.  For any of these, I think you would complete an online application, I know K12 requires a test.  Keep it active, as sometimes jobs pop open at the strangest times ;)

Best wishes!

I think maybe you forgot the link. ;) 

I would look at the public pre-K.  Whether it was a nice place.  I would not care if they had no pre-school type stuff, because I don't really think that is very important for that age group.  More, whether the environment is nice and calm, they get time outdoors, and that sort of thing.

I know in many places public pre-Ks aren't held to the same standards as private ones, which is too bad. 

I think though, if I went with the public option, I might want a way out in case it was a real flop. 

They state that science/social studies is integrated into our reading program.  :lol: That's laughable. Reading a leveled reader 2x-3x a week is not science or social studies. Seriously - the last few years, my students have thought that Christopher Columbus came over on the Mayflower. 

So, for the last 5 years, we have been told to scrap the spelling and grammar portions of the language arts curriculum, instead focusing on the reading skills (Author's Purpose, Context Clues, Root Words and Affixes, etc.) Based on the reading program and all the other RtI (Response to Intervention) times we had to include, there honestly wasn't/isn't time for these. So, now, the students struggle with spelling, have no idea what a noun or verb is, struggle with capitalization (random capital letters everywhere), and can barely form complete sentences. (This is 4th grade. And obviously, there are some that are better and some that are worse than others.) I hate it. :/ 

We just got a new math curriculum (enVision). It's a million times better than Everyday Math that we were doing, but since the kids have never had a mastery curriculum and have never had to deal with the Singapore Math-like critical thinking, it can be slow going. We can take an hour and a half to do math (whole group and math small groups). 

My room is different this year, though, as our new principal has me in a 1:1 iPad room (each student has an iPad). We are now doing more inquiry blocks and Project-Based Learning units. I'm doing more to incorporate science and social studies, but there's a LOT to catch up on. 

If it's this bad, consider starting a cottage school to teach the children of your current co-workers.  Find a friend to do it with you, look into the regs, see if it's feasible.  Because no spelling or grammar or science is NOT an education.

• Like 3

I was going to say to put her in public school to pay down the debt faster....but it would only pay it down by 3 months. That's piddly.  If she's happy and moving her would gain you only 3 months, then leave her where she is.  There's no point in even thinking about it beyond that.

• Like 5

I would look at the public pre-K.  Whether it was a nice place.  I would not care if they had no pre-school type stuff, because I don't really think that is very important for that age group.  More, whether the environment is nice and calm, they get time outdoors, and that sort of thing.

I know in many places public pre-Ks aren't held to the same standards as private ones, which is too bad. 

I think though, if I went with the public option, I might want a way out in case it was a real flop. 

I found one of the teacher's schedules: 

35 minutes of outdoor recess and the rest of the time is whole group/centers within the classroom. 

7:45 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 8:15 - Greet Students; Morning Work; Celebration on Mondays

8:15 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 8:30 - Morning Meeting Ă¢â‚¬â€œ attendance, pledges, morning message, quick game

8:30 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 8:45 - Whole Group Literacy Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Alphabet, Nursery Rhyme, Letter Sounds

8:45 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 9:15 - Circle Time Ă¢â‚¬â€œ read aloud, weekly theme, literacy and math focus

9:15 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 9:45 - Art or Lit Activity & Snack

9:45 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 10:15 - Lit Activity & Snack, Library, P.E., Show and Tell, or Music

10:15 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 10:45 - Literacy Centers Ă¢â‚¬â€œ iPads, Pocket Chart, Listening, Dramatic Play, Writing, Art, Library, ABC, Reading Small Groups

10:45 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 11:00 - Recess

11:00 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 11:25 - Whole Group Math Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Calendar, Numbers, Patterns, Shapes, Colors

11:25 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 12:45 - Independent Math Activity and Prepare for Lunch

12:00 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1:00 - Lunch and Rest Time

1:00 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1:45 - Math Centers Ă¢â‚¬â€œ iPad, Fine Motor, Blocks, Math Tubs, Table Toys, Puzzles, Sensory, Playdoh, Math Small Groups

1:45 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 2:10 - Free Choice Centers/Intervention

2:10 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 2:30 - Recess

2:30 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 2:45 - Pack, Stack, Wrap Up with a Story or Game

2:45 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 3:00 - Dismissal

My daughter's current schedule: 

PRESCHOOL SCHEDULE
6:30AM   Doors unlocked-supervised child choice play time
8:30        Restroom, pray, breakfast/doors locked
9:00        Gross Motor skills-outside weather permitting/gym/bounce houses
10:30       Classroom time
10:30       Friday/Chapel (Bible lesson, singing/movement and Scripture
11:30        Restroom/Pray/Lunch
12:30PM   Restroom/ Rest/Nap Time
2:45         Restroom/ Pray/Snack Time
3:30         After School Day Care/Gross Motor in gym or outside

Her current preschool is much more "gentle" for the early years. And I know it's more of a "daycare with some preschool" than other preschools. It also has a longer nap time which she currently needs and I anticipate she will need later on, though who knows. Plus, a lot more play outdoors. 

If it's this bad, consider starting a cottage school to teach the children of your current co-workers.  Find a friend to do it with you, look into the regs, see if it's feasible.  Because no spelling or grammar or science is NOT an education.

I FULLY agree. If I knew we were going to stay in this town permanently, I would. However, DH is looking to transfer to a large city when we are debt free, so we won't be here long enough to make option viable. 

Is a cottage school like a charter school? 

• Like 1

No, I completely understand that. :) This is why I ask, so I am forced to think outside the box.

Ok, so thinking this through and assuming I'm doing my math correctly...

If I were to have in-home daycare, I would save $500 in childcare, plus make $1200 a month, that's essentially $1700 a month. That's being generous as in-home childcare here at the max is $90. (Small, rural community and people gripe about "spending so much on childcare".)

Yearly, that would only be 20, 400. Adding in self-employment tax, that takes it down to $19,000 a year/

So, yeah, my current net pay is definitely greater than $1600 a month.

I wouldn't call mine an "excellent" job, but it is more than enough to pay off my loans in 21 mos (with the benefit of having summers off!).

Don't provide daycare. You are a certified teacher, provide preschool with or without childcare. My friend offers two day a week, three hour preschool and charges $175 a month. With only three children attending, that's $525 a month, plus your $500 savings for your daughter. Run two preschools, morning and afternoon, and you are up to $1050, and that's still with only three kids per class, which is super low. Have six kids per class, running two, two day a week classes and you jump to $2100 a month for twelve hours of preschool, plus the $500 savings for your daughter. If rates are lower where you live, adjust accordingly, but it's worth contemplating because you have the degree to inspire confidence.

Or, tack childcare onto that single preschool and charge $500-600 a month (in my area you could charge $700 a month for that combination, minimum, but that sounds unreasonable in your area). At $500, three kids plus your daughter, you net $2000 a month. Four kids is $2000 (2500) a month, at $600 a week, you pull $2400 a month, save your daughter's tuition and are now approaching $3000 a month in earnings and savings.

Another factor is money saved due to working at home. My son needed far fewer outfits when I took him out of daycare because I had time for laundry, we cut our doctor's co-pays by hundreds a year due to fewer illnesses, I cooked instead of buying packaged meals, I needed fewer clothes, and gas consumption dropped (actually, we sold my car, but we were choosing very drastic measures). All told, I replaced what I was netting from my $35,000 a year job by caring for 1 full time child.

Of the school choices you listed, I'd choose the public option if you determine that it's up to your standards.

My two cents.

I was going to say to put her in public school to pay down the debt faster....but it would only pay it down by 3 months. That's piddly.  If she's happy and moving her would gain you only 3 months, then leave her where she is.  There's no point in even thinking about it beyond that.

I voted to keep her where she is. It sounds like the best option for care coverage overall. Plus she's happy there.

She is really little and doing well in the current daycare. I would not move her to shave three months off your repayment.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

• Like 2

I found one of the teacher's schedules: 

35 minutes of outdoor recess and the rest of the time is whole group/centers within the classroom. 

My daughter's current schedule: 

PRESCHOOL SCHEDULE
6:30AM   Doors unlocked-supervised child choice play time
8:30        Restroom, pray, breakfast/doors locked
9:00        Gross Motor skills-outside weather permitting/gym/bounce houses
10:30       Classroom time
10:30       Friday/Chapel (Bible lesson, singing/movement and Scripture
11:30        Restroom/Pray/Lunch
12:30PM   Restroom/ Rest/Nap Time
2:45         Restroom/ Pray/Snack Time
3:30         After School Day Care/Gross Motor in gym or outside

Her current preschool is much more "gentle" for the early years. And I know it's more of a "daycare with some preschool" than other preschools. It also has a longer nap time which she currently needs and I anticipate she will need later on, though who knows. Plus, a lot more play outdoors. 

The current place has a much saner schedule for preK than that public school schedule. It's not greatly different from my son's school, although they have a few things more structured--like a structured Movement Matters thing in the afternoons, but also they're outside morning and afternoon. He has fun there and happens to also be soaking up knowledge like a sponge. It doesn't really take much at that age; seeing this I'd change what I put in the poll and stick with the private daycare/preschool. 

• Like 1

The current place has a much saner schedule for preK than that public school schedule. It's not greatly different from my son's school, although they have a few things more structured--like a structured Movement Matters thing in the afternoons, but also they're outside morning and afternoon. He has fun there and happens to also be soaking up knowledge like a sponge. It doesn't really take much at that age; seeing this I'd change what I put in the poll and stick with the private daycare/preschool. 

This makes me happy. I know that they have really great Kindergarten entrance results; always some of the highest in the area. I really wondered, though, if people on here would lay into them for doing too little. I'm glad they're on the same lines as some other schools. 

This thread has really given me a lot of different thought directions. Especially the fact that moving her would only save us about 3 months on the debt which, now that I'm thinking about it, might not even do that since childcare comes out of Dh's income and debt payment comes out of mine. (We are trying to make sure we can feasibly live off of Dh's income after I quit work.) 

So many different opinions and thought processes - this is why I love the Hive. You all make me think outside of my little bubble. :)

• Like 1

Just wanted to add that the ps preschool sounds developmentally inappropriate. WAY too much structured time, too little play.

I'd stay where she is.

Or, plan on one more year of school then bring her home, and extend your debt repayment by one or two years. If it means she can be home if you only work 2-3 nights a week after she's in bed, say, or a bit when Dad can put her in bed,  then I'd do that in a heartbeat. I don't like debt either, but I like having my kiddos home more than I dislike the debt. So I'd happily trade a fast payoff for a slower payoff but more time at home. You don't get a chance to do that time over. Ever.

• Like 2