Menu

Tigers in residential neighborhoods

Amira

A friend of mine told me today that the neighborhood I moved from last week has a tiger living in one of the homes. Apparently it escaped yesterday. Now I feel kind of cheated that I didn't know about it when we lived there.

The tiger has been returned to its home. That seems to be an incomplete response to its escape, but whatever.

• Like 2

We used to live behind people who had a bear and an African Lion. It was decidedly uncool.

ETA--that link does not make it crystal clear that this man is now dead. As was his young hired hand care taker, who was killed by the bear. Also, his lion used to get loose and walk down the road. Like, on a regular basis. And in any case, listening to the lot of them roar at night (or in the daytime) is not a comfortable feeling. It was unconscionable on every level.

An old boyfriend was sitting in his car in a residential neighborhood one evening. He looked up to see a fully grown tiger staring at him with its face right up to the window. He yelped, but then the tiger's owner peered in and told him not to worry, the tiger was leashed and just out for its walk.😳

And no, ex-boyfriend did not do drugs.

• Like 1

I generally have a lot of problems with owning exotic pets.  I personally can't see the point, but even more, it's really difficult to provide a good environment for a wild animal (even one that's claimed to be "tame.")  But you also only hear about the problems.  I have no idea how many exotic animals permits are even out there.

• Like 8

I think I would be glad that the tiger didn't escape until after you had moved.  Esp.. if your children spent any time outdoors.  

Apparently the situation has been resolved and the tiger no longer lives in the neighborhood.  It was an eight-month-old cub and it escaped at night so it wasn't a real threat to anyone at that point, but I am glad for all of my neighbors that it doesn't live there anymore.

• Like 4

No one can handle a tiger, a bear or a lion well (read: humanely and safely) on a residential lot forever. No one. They are giant, intelligent, **territorial** carnivores/pretty darn good at killing omnivores.

My dad's girlfriend had a lot of exotic pets and most of them came to a bad end at some point. None of them lived long happy lives. It is wrong to keep exotic pets IMO. Animals have habitats for a reason. In Costa Rica I went to a zoo where all the amimals had been captured from the wild and the scream that one of the panthers made was unnerving. The poor things was livid at living indoors. It had been captured four years ago and was still mad.

• Like 2

And who could forget the great tiger escape a few years back in the San Francisco Zoo?

Anyone who ever watched a cat claw its way up a backyard fence should have known that that enclosure would not really contain that tiger.  It was obvious, but remained that porous and dangerous for 65 years before this incident.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2011/02/tiger-maul-teens-san-francisco-zoo-provoked-report.html

• Like 2

We live near a former animal sanctuary that was shut down for “repeat deficiencies related to housing and care of the animals.†They had 12 tigers, 3 lions, 3 bears, and 2 wolves. In inadequate cages. Our community is seriously lucky that they didn't escape and kill someone.

At least your local escape was a cub? There's some comfort in that.

• Like 2

My thing is that if you can't tell the difference between the safety of keeping a tiger vs a house cat, a wolf vs a beagle, or a ball python vs a king cobra, you really shouldn't be keeping pets. It just seems like there is a logical limit to what kind of animal in any given class that can be safely kept as a pet by most individuals and facilities-and that the tigers, wolves, and king cobras should be left for the trained experts and specialized facilities.

(As far as I know, there is still an escaped king cobra not far from where my nieces live in Orlando. I'm just praying it's found and recaptured before it hurts anyone. It's not the snake's fault it's in Florida-but it's still a very, very venomous, large reptile in a highly populated city-and one where if you want to see reptiles, you can visit Reptile World, several zoos within a fairly short drive, Animal Kingdom, or Gatorland).

• Like 3

A friend of mine told me today that the neighborhood I moved from last week has a tiger living in one of the homes. Apparently it escaped yesterday. Now I feel kind of cheated that I didn't know about it when we lived there.

The tiger has been returned to its home. That seems to be an incomplete response to its escape, but whatever.

If they had Rodents of Unusual Size, owning a tiger is preferable to firebombing the neighborhood.

• Like 1