Menu

Any Neil Gaiman fans?

I guess I'm just slow as I just discovered this author, despite the fact that we've read a couple of his books previously, Coraline and Fortunately the Milk I really didn't notice who wrote them, I wouldn't have really guessed they were the same author really as the tone is so different.  Well, I finally got around to reading The Graveyard Book to ds, we both were just enthralled with it, beginning to end, we finished it in less than a week as a read-aloud. Love it, love it, love it. It might be an odd comparison but it quite reminded me of Love You, Forever, yes the sappy picture book, although in general his macabre stories bring Dahl to mind. The unforgettable, unique and delightful story, for kids and adults(especially parents), the wonderful fantasy(very well developed) and the beautiful language, what a gem.

I searched my library for more Gaiman books and have one of his adult books on hold. I had bought my dd an audio of some of his children's stories for Christmas but otherwise we've not really read any more than what I listed and I'm seeing now that he has several children's and adult books. I also happened to notice that he has a box set of Graveyard Book, Fortunately the Milk and Coraline with Chris Ridell illustrations coming out soon and I'm sorely tempted to buy it(I only own The Graveyard Book).

• Like 2

I haven't read much Gaiman, but I adore him. He's very inspiring to listen to speak. I loved American Gods - definitely an adult book. I've read part of Good Omens, and watched Stardust (the movie) several times. 

I don't have much time to read fiction lately, but he's on my short list. 

• Like 1

I love love love love Neil Gaiman!  His voice, oh my.  Just listen to his voice.  I read his works over and over again, and so do my kids (age appropriate ones, at least).  

And yes I preordered the box set. :) 

If you live graphic novels and comics, The Sandman and Death are definitely must-reads, as well. He's written several Doctor Who episodes and Marvel 1602 (comic), as well. 

• Like 1

I love Neil Gaiman, and I love American Gods (for adults) and The Graveyard Book, Blueberry Girl, The Dangerous Alphabet, and The Wolves in the Walls for Kids. However, for his adult books, man this guy has an intense fear of women's bodies. 

What do you mean by that?  I never have seen that.  He's an outspoken advocate for womens rights, refugee rights, and he's married to Amanda Palmer, so I would say more awed and respectful than fearful!

• Like 2

I read The Ocean at the End of the Lane recently and really enjoyed it. It's not a kid's book. DD has gone through nearly all of his kids books. We have several of his short stories on audio, as well as Coraline, and DD has listened to them all multiple times. BTW, the Coraline book is not quite like the movie. It's much, much better than the movie, according to everyone here.

• Like 2

He's a great author and I trust him with my kids brains. At this point he feels like a part of the family, like David Attenborough or Jo Rowling.  I am not a fan of Sandman but my older son adores it. 

My dh was headed to Cambridge for work. At the time, I knew Gaiman was based in Cambridge. On twitter, I took a chance and asked where one could find autographed Gaiman books (he frequently stops in bookstores and signs books) in the Harvard area. He saw it and immediately answered that he was heading out that moment to sign some at a specific bookstore. My dh was able to stop by later that day and pick up a nice selection for the boys.   So, a good author and a good businessman, lol.

• Like 6

He's a great author and I trust him with my kids brains. At this point he feels like a part of the family, like David Attenborough or Jo Rowling.  I am not a fan of Sandman but my older son adores it. 

My dh was headed to Cambridge for work. At the time, I knew Gaiman was based in Cambridge. On twitter, I took a chance and asked where one could find autographed Gaiman books (he frequently stops in bookstores and signs books) in the Harvard area. He saw it and immediately answered that he was heading out that moment to sign some at a specific bookstore. My dh was able to stop by later that day and pick up a nice selection for the boys.   So, a good author and a good businessman, lol.

That's awesome!  I love that he's such a great supporter of small bookstores.  He's been known to sign and leave some in airports, too.

I read The Ocean at the End of the Lane recently and really enjoyed it. It's not a kid's book. DD has gone through nearly all of his kids books. We have several of his short stories on audio, as well as Coraline, and DD has listened to them all multiple times. BTW, the Coraline book is not quite like the movie. It's much, much better than the movie, according to everyone here.

I disagree.  I'd say for older kids, however he is outspoken against too much (or any) censorship of books for children.  There is nothing too obscene in the book, though a reference to seeing their father cheat. It didn't bother me enough to prevent me from giving my daughter a signed copy for her birthday. :)

• Like 1

If you are looking for another kid Gaiman book I strongly recommend "Odd and the Frost Giants".  It is based on Norse mythology. Preread of course, but I think it is fine for ages 7 on up.  Younger might be fine just not all that interested...but they could be, and older certainly. We have the hard copy and the audio.  That and "the graveyard book' are two my kids will listen to over and over again. I say 7 b/c my younger got it for his 7th birthday and it was a hit.

• Like 1

If you are looking for another kid Gaiman book I strongly recommend "Odd and the Frost Giants".  It is based on Norse mythology. Preread of course, but I think it is fine for ages 7 on up.  Younger might be fine just not all that interested...but they could be, and older certainly. We have the hard copy and the audio.  That and "the graveyard book' are two my kids will listen to over and over again. I say 7 b/c my younger got it for his 7th birthday and it was a hit.

How cool that your husband got to meet him and get an autograph! I've heard a rec for that book before but we've never read it, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

That's awesome!  I love that he's such a great supporter of small bookstores.  He's been known to sign and leave some in airports, too.

I disagree.  I'd say for older kids, however he is outspoken against too much (or any) censorship of books for children.  There is nothing too obscene in the book, though a reference to seeing their father cheat. It didn't bother me enough to prevent me from giving my daughter a signed copy for her birthday. :)

I said The Ocean at the End of the Lane wasn't a kid's book mostly because I don't think the subject matter would be particularly interesting for kids, but there is also the suicide at the beginning of the book, and how the boy saw the body before the police chased him off. It's a bit heavy, thematically, for anyone much below 13. 

• Like 1

American Gods is my favorite, followed by Neverwhere. I have a collection of his short stories that I love. All things that stay well out of the reach of children. ;)

I'm thinking of reading The Graveyard Book for a read aloud in October.

We did that a couple of years ago, followed by Coraline. It was an excellent creepy run-up to Halloween. 

• Like 2

I said The Ocean at the End of the Lane wasn't a kid's book mostly because I don't think the subject matter would be particularly interesting for kids, but there is also the suicide at the beginning of the book, and how the boy saw the body before the police chased him off. It's a bit heavy, thematically, for anyone much below 13. 

Definitely for little kids.  I still consider teens kids.  :lol:  It's not much we haven't seen in many other kids books, though, so I guess I didn't blink an eye. 

Definitely for little kids.  I still consider teens kids.  :lol:  It's not much we haven't seen in many other kids books, though, so I guess I didn't blink an eye. 

I just wanted to make sure that someone didn't think it was ok to hand off to their sensitive 9 year old because "the hive" said it was a kids book.  :001_smile: I'd recommend Fortunately, the Milk or The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish in that case.

I just wanted to make sure that someone didn't think it was ok to hand off to their sensitive 9 year old because "the hive" said it was a kids book.  :001_smile:

Well, depends on the 9 year old, but I'd say probably not.  I think it's generally classified as YA, though, so just buying it would probably alert them it's not juvenile fiction.  Actually there was a recent thread where we discussed the importance of reading books for your kids first after some unexpectedly horrifying finds!  :cursing:

American Gods is my favorite, followed by Neverwhere. I have a collection of his short stories that I love. All things that stay well out of the reach of children. ;)

I'm thinking of reading The Graveyard Book for a read aloud in October.

We did that a couple of years ago, followed by Coraline. It was an excellent creepy run-up to Halloween. 

Oh, that's a good idea, I don't usually think ahead enough to plan such things, well other than Christmas books. I'll have to think on some good books for Halloween that we haven't read yet...

I was going to caution about Gaiman books. Children/YA/Adult can be tricky with him. I would always recommend prereading his books if you or your kids are sensitive to certain topics or descriptions.

I recall the Troll Bridge short story briefly describing the troll's man parts.

Thanks for the heads up, we're not all that sensitive here, description of parts is just matter of fact.

• Like 1

If you liked "American Gods" or "Neverwhere", China Mieville's "Kraken" and his YA novel"Un Lun Dun" are similar... "Un Lun Dun" especially is marvelous.

Minister Faust's " Coyote Kings of the Space-Age Bachelor Pad"[1] is mostly OOP but also fabulous. I remember it as being YAish... I can't remember if the video store clerk is quite as snarky as the one in Kevin Smith's "Clerks" but otherwise I recall it being completely clean.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Coyote_Kings_of_the_Space-Age_Bachelor_Pad

• Like 1

Just finished reading one of his story collections, "Smoke and Mirrors" which I can recommend to Sandman fans.

Some stories in that book were kid safe, some would probably induce nightmares in certain people around here (I'm not even allowed to mention selling extra children to the circus for some reason) and since ds is a voracious reader who keeps going once he gets started with something the story book is going to have to go back to the library very quietly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished American Gods, I read the 10th anniversary edition. I enjoyed the book immensely but I believe I preferred Ocean at the End of the Lane, to me it was rather rough around the edges and harsh, like there was just too much going on, I don't know. I loved the twists of the books, I couldn't believe I didn't see who Low-Key was and I loved the ending.  I now have Neverwhere reserved :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, since I started this thread I've read; Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neverwhere, Stardust, American Gods, Anansi Boys and The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains :) Still a fan :) I guess I need to hit Good Omens, Sandman and some short stories next. I believe for Christmas I'll buy his new collection with Coraline, Fortunately the Milk and The Graveyard Book. I'm dying to read the The Sleeper and the Spindle (and a 1 star review that said it isn't at all like the Disney princess movies is just all the more encouraging). 

• Like 2