Menu

Which Roald Dahl books are clean and safe?

This was not the thread I was expecting.  I came in here to tell you to avoid his adult books which I understand can be pretty dark and raunchy.  We've read a ton of his children's books and I haven't found any of them to objectionable.  Could you be more specific on what you are trying to avoid and give examples?

As an aside - We are a socially conservative Catholic family and I have been known to veto some of DD's reading choices so I'm not against censorship.  

• Like 5

My younger son loved Charlie and the chocolate and James and the giant peach and would like me to buy more books by this author . Which books are safe,and free against Christianity, witches , scary,etc? I know about BFG and the witches books,any others?

Free from Christianity or nothing against Christianity?  Because I've never seen the latter.  As for being scary, all of his books are silly and a little creepy.  I've never had a problem with any of his works, so I'm not sure what I should be warning you about. 

• Like 1

His books can be a bit fat-ist (usual stereotypes about those who are fat/ugly/lazy etc) and I believe there were changes made to the original version of charlie and the chocolate factory because the umpa-loompas were decribed in terms that, by modern day, might be seen as racist, (personally, I think Willy Wonka is pretty weird and creepy!) but I'm not sure what else would be an issue.

Yes, some have slightly dark or hard undertones, I suppose. They sometimes have a main character who is being treated in a brutal or unfair way or is suffering (e.g. through poverty), but the message in most is that good overcomes evil, the underdog wins in the end and that bad people get their comeuppances. Not unusual themes for kids' books, but without the sickly-sweet coating that modern books feel obliged to slap on.

Some people just don't like his kids' books, not their taste, but I've loved reading the books to my kids. They make great read-alouds and find them a refreshing change to some kids' novels that try so hard to be age-appropriate and politically correct that they have lost the soul of telling a fun story. Why don't you read some for yourself? Most would be a quick-read for an adult.

"Danny Champion of the World" is a beautiful book, very heartwarming, focusing on father and son relationships. It's also very pro home education/anti school brutality. The Giraffe, The Pelly and Me, is quite tame (probably why I don't like it as much as the others :) ) Esio Trot is also quite heartwarming, if you don't object to people telling white lies about the size of a tortoise to find love... ;)

His adult literature is dark and twisted...probably an acquired taste :)

Has your son read the Glass Elevator sequel to Charlie & the Chocolate Factory?

• Like 3

I agree, I have never found the BFG questionable. In fact, one of my ALL TIME favorite memories as a parent is when my hubby was reading it to our daughter in the NICU. He had the BFG with a scotish accent.  He still can't read it to the boys and I have had to take it and read it to them. :(

• Like 1

Dahl in his personal life was reportedly somewhat of an anti-Semite (although this doesn't come out in his writing, and as he's dead you can make of this what you will), but I've never heard that he had any particular anti-Christian sentiment. He probably was a Christian, most Brits of his generation are/were.

Well, I would consider James and the Giant Peach as including magic, because it was magic that caused the peach and the insects to grow...

And I agree with others that Roald Dahls books are always a bit dark and scary.

But I'm just going to guess based on what you've said that you'd find...

Matilda a no, because she has magical powers.

The Girrafe the Pelly and Me as fine, because while it includes talking animals you were fine with talking insects.

The BFG as fine. Unless you are offended by Giants, of course. But you didn't mind Oompa Loompas, which I see as a similar near-human creature.

The Witches and the Twits as no's. Because witches, and very mean people.

The Fantastic Mr Fox as fine. Again, talking animals.

• Like 1

Dahl in his personal life was reportedly somewhat of an anti-Semite (although this doesn't come out in his writing, and as he's dead you can make of this what you will), but I've never heard that he had any particular anti-Christian sentiment. He probably was a Christian, most Brits of his generation are/were.

Roald Dahl turned against Christianity after the death of his daughter.

Lots of people have objections to Dahl. Some I hear (we're doing one for our bookclub) is the nasty adults, children disrespecting adults, gruesome and violent themes, and yes the magic. I'm surprised that so many of you are surprised!

We do like Dahl, we've done a few. I do want to do the BFG as I liked it. He's not a priority author to me though, so if I was the OP I'd do willy wonka and move on.

Roald Dahl was how I managed to get my boys to enjoy fiction and start reading "real" books.  His stories are so twisted and fun and outrageous.  Matilda is one of my absolute favorites, but one of my best memories from school was our second grade teacher reading James and the Giant Peach.  I suppose they aren't for everyone though.

• Like 1

Lots of people have objections to Dahl. Some I hear (we're doing one for our bookclub) is the nasty adults, children disrespecting adults, gruesome and violent themes, and yes the magic. I'm surprised that so many of you are surprised!

We do like Dahl, we've done a few. I do want to do the BFG as I liked it. He's not a priority author to me though, so if I was the OP I'd do willy wonka and move on.

I'm not surprised that someone has an objection to Dahl per se... I get that many people are anti-Dahl because they want books where the children are "good" and the adults are "good" unless they're the "bad adult" who gets punished. But the OP liked some of Dahl's books and is concerned about others, but I don't understand why. Like, what's wrong with The Witches when there's magic in James and the Giant Peach? What's wrong with the BFG and the frobscottle when the Oompa Loompas and all the wacky Wonka treats were okay? But the OP hasn't come back to clarify so... we may never know.

• Like 7

We are very conservative, but have listened to A LOT of Dahl's children's books.  My son loved The Twits and quotes it frequently.  He might say something while playing like, "If only I had some hug-tight."  I think one of the ways children learn good vs. evil is through story books.  It is much easier to discuss good and bad in regards to fictional characters instead of family members for instance.  Esio Trot was another silly short afternoon read.  Most are quick reads and can be found at the library or thrift stores.  I'd say pick up a copy and read it yourself.  The Fantastic Mr. Fox was one of the first chapter books we read aloud to Robby.  I hope he will have fond memories of Dahl's stories.  I know I will.

• Like 2

"Danny Champion of the World" is a beautiful book, very heartwarming, focusing on father and son relationships. It's also very pro home education/anti school brutality.

Funny--this is one I was going to speak against :)  I don't over-monitor my boys' reading, but this is one book that my boys both told me was "terrible", lol.  They are 11 and 12.  I haven't read it (at least, not in the past 30 years and I don't remember it).  Something about how Danny steals a lot of birds or poaching or something.

b

• Like 1

Funny--this is one I was going to speak against :)  I don't over-monitor my boys' reading, but this is one book that my boys both told me was "terrible", lol.  They are 11 and 12.  I haven't read it (at least, not in the past 30 years and I don't remember it).  Something about how Danny steals a lot of birds or poaching or something.

b

They poach the birds. No stealing other than that. It is a book that's clearly taking a stand against the upper classes. However, it's by far the most British of Dahl's books in many ways. It's such a different tradition in terms of hunting and land rights and so forth... I think to judge it by an American view of personal property is a little unfair.

• Like 6

Funny--this is one I was going to speak against :) I don't over-monitor my boys' reading, but this is one book that my boys both told me was "terrible", lol. They are 11 and 12. I haven't read it (at least, not in the past 30 years and I don't remember it). Something about how Danny steals a lot of birds or poaching or something.

b

lol, this is the only Roald Dahl book my dd was seriously offended by. She loves almost anything RD, but this one offended her in the most base fashion as she has a very developed sense of right and wrong (according to her own ideas!). It violates her ideas of fair play, and whilst we are vegetarian she can completely understand hunting for food as long as it is not wasteful. But this book went against the grain in every area for her and wow was she indignant:)

Still, one of the beauty of reading RD books is that they are NOT cookie-cutter morality/ Disney fairytale. They allow readers to explore those concepts and emotions in a manner that is fun, whimsical, and safe since they are 'not rwas'--just far enough removed from reality as to make them so.

They poach the birds. No stealing other than that. It is a book that's clearly taking a stand against the upper classes. However, it's by far the most British of Dahl's books in many ways. It's such a different tradition in terms of hunting and land rights and so forth... I think to judge it by an American view of personal property is a little unfair.

I couldn't agree more. Hubby is British-born, and his uncle and cousins are gamekeepers on a a large estate in Yorkshire. Hubby grew up hunting and fishing there, and so discussions with dd on this book were very informative for us:)
  • Like 3

DD just read Fantastic Mr Fox as her first non level reader chapter book and enjoyed it immensely. I am Christian but fine with his books. When we see things like "magic" or "witches" on tv or in book, we discuss how that's not real and I'm real life you can't do that / people can't do that. I keep it causal. My kids are young so they don't want much more of explanation. When we read or see on tv something that contradicts are values I address why that's not appropriate, what the Bible has to say, and how we should respond or should do.

I like to go ahead and address issues with my kids as they come up in an age appropriate way because life is not nice and neat and they know that without me really needing to tell them that (or trying to hide it) in general.

Agreed, it's more complex than simple theft. As I recall, the gist of the story is this: Danny's family are poor, as are most of the village. Every year the obnoxious unscrupulous wealthy landowner raises pheasants and then invites other wealthy landowners to a grand event where they shoot them for 'sport'. Danny's father comes up with a plan to poach (steal) the pheasants before the shoot, so that the event is a failure. The plan is to share any excess pheasants among the villagers.

Without giving away the entire plot, let's just say that Danny takes on a heroic role, and, true-to-form, the unpleasant landowner gets his comeuppance :) Lots of moral issues to discuss around theft, class, poverty, freedom (of people and pheasants!) distribution of wealth, revenge, etc, but then it would be boring if the protagonists were perfect :) Oh, and although some get cooked, some of the pheasants fly to freedom, so that's a nice finishing touch for animal lovers ;)

[We grew up in the British countryside, so pheasant rearing by 'gamekeepers' was the norm on large land estates. Pheasant, pigeon and rabbit were a good supplement to rural folk, most of whom were pretty poor. Fresh meat had some currency: we'd often be given a 'brace' (pair) of pheasants in return for favours done.]

• Like 8

Sorry, I haven't had time to come back here over the weekend. My older son read BFG and said something about giants eating humans. I think it might be too scary for my sensitive younger boy. I mostly want to make sure the books do not have references to occultism , witchcraft ,...basically clean for a conservative Christian family. I'm ok with some magic, talking animals (we love fantasy books!) ,just not ok with canibalism, extreme cruelty, references agains Christianity,etc.

I found a great deal for a large set of Dahl's books and I'm wondering which ones I shouldn't keep. Thank you for helping me sort through them!

The Fantastic Mr Fox as fine. Again, talking animals.

Mr. Fox unexpectedly (for DS, aged 6 at that time) got his tail shot off and it had my DS in tears because he was not used to violence against talking animals and the smart ones always went scot free until then in all the cute books with talking animals that he had ever read. He was OK reading it again at age 7, but, hyper-sensitive kids might be taken aback by Dahl's language and storyline.

Mr. Fox unexpectedly (for DS, aged 6 at that time) got his tail shot off and it had my DS in tears because he was not used to violence against talking animals and the smart ones always went scot free until then in all the cute books with talking animals that he had ever read. He was OK reading it again at age 7, but, hyper-sensitive kids might be taken aback by Dahl's language and storyline.

Yes, but in James and the Giant Peach, his parents are killed by rhinos, and her son enjoyed that book, so I was assuming he wasn't sensitive to violence.

I wouldn't suggest ANY Dahl book to a sensitive child. They are all violent and dark at times, barring The Pelly and Me, I suppose.

• Like 6

Yes, but in James and the Giant Peach, his parents are killed by rhinos, and her son enjoyed that book, so I was assuming he wasn't sensitive to violence.

I wouldn't suggest ANY Dahl book to a sensitive child. They are all violent and dark at times, barring The Pelly and Me, I suppose.

For me if the bad stuff happens before the story starts it doesn't count.

• Like 3

Sorry, I haven't had time to come back here over the weekend. My older son read BFG and said something about giants eating humans. I think it might be too scary for my sensitive younger boy. I mostly want to make sure the books do not have references to occultism , witchcraft ,...basically clean for a conservative Christian family. I'm ok with some magic, talking animals (we love fantasy books!) ,just not ok with canibalism, extreme cruelty, references agains Christianity,etc.

I found a great deal for a large set of Dahl's books and I'm wondering which ones I shouldn't keep. Thank you for helping me sort through them!

I would suggest throwing one in your purse/bedroom and start reading.  You'll get a much better feel for the stories than taking someone else's synopsis.  Only you understand what would be clean for your family.

BTW, cannibalism wasn't okay to the book characters, either.

• Like 4

In honor of this thread ds and I just started Danny, Champion of the World as a read-aloud, we're enjoying it so far :) I just read The Giraffe, Pelly and Me to everyone and my 2.5 yr old keeps bringing it to me to read again, she loved it so much and I remember reading it to my son when he was younger and he enjoyed it just as much. There is also a The Enormous Crocodile book for kids, it is a bit between picture book and chapter book, it is short but a good amount of text. We read it ages ago and I remember enjoying it but I don't remember any details. The only book of Dahl's that I remember hating would be The Twits, I can't remember if we finished that one, the language drove me batty. 

My younger son loved Charlie and the chocolate and James and the giant peach and would like me to buy more books by this author . Which books are safe,and free against Christianity, witches , scary,etc? I know about BFG and the witches books,any others?

Judging by the responses in this thread, as well as my own experience, it's probably best if you pre-read the books yourself and make your own decision. Seems to be a very individual thing.  I love many of Dahl's books, both adult and children's books, enjoyed the TV series from his books, "Tales of the Unexpected,"  but don't care for some of his books and the spin-off musicals and such. 

Well there are some Dahl books that aren't children's books at all. Boy and Switch Bitch (!!!) for sure. Not sure about Kiss Kiss. Revolting Rhymes might not be up everyone's alley.

Dahl wrote a lot of books for both adults and children. He was a journalist, started out writing short stories, wrote autobiographies (Boy and Going Solo), as well as many children's books.  A good indication of what are adult books is checking where the book is catalogued in the library. 

• Like 1

In positively LOVED the chocolate factory books (especially the first one) and The BFG. Roald Dahl's children's books are some of my favorites.

I've also read some of his writings for adults/young adults, and those are definitely NOT for children. I'm thinking of the short story Skin, in particular.

In honor of this thread ds and I just started Danny, Champion of the World as a read-aloud, we're enjoying it so far :) I just read The Giraffe, Pelly and Me to everyone and my 2.5 yr old keeps bringing it to me to read again, she loved it so much and I remember reading it to my son when he was younger and he enjoyed it just as much. There is also a The Enormous Crocodile book for kids, it is a bit between picture book and chapter book, it is short but a good amount of text. We read it ages ago and I remember enjoying it but I don't remember any details. The only book of Dahl's that I remember hating would be The Twits, I can't remember if we finished that one, the language drove me batty. 

We read it a few years ago, and this thread is really making me want to pull it back out and read it aloud again!

• Like 1