Menu

Weight loss - some honest data to consider

Joanne

Well, I think that counts as breakfast, yes?  I have a high protein smoothie, made with coffee, every morning and call that breakfast.

I've had to go very low carb to make the weight start shifting.  I am only 5' and in my late 40s, so my caloric needs are low, I can live on 800-1,000 calories a day and not lose an ounce. If I go over that, or hang out at 1,000,  with any consistency I will gain and gain. 

But, when I went low carb and lower fat it started to come off.  My caloric intake didn't change but what I ate did. And by keeping it mostly protein I find my appetite is greatly reduced.

I guess I don't think of 1/2 of a cup of milk as much of a breakfast. By high protien I mean the fairlife brand milk, not a protein smoothie. So 1/2 cup has 6 grams of protein I think. 

• Like 1

I have to eat in the morning.  If I drink my tea without eating it makes me feel nauseous.  I don't drink coffee so I don't know if that would be different.

I usually have eggs loaded with veggies in the morning, with a cup of tea with honey.  I'm usually not hungry until lunchtime but I feel like I'm starving in the afternoon a lot.  Especially when I'm bored.  So probably not really hungry.

I just skimmed this article quickly (because ironically enough I'm supposed to be fixing dinner ;)) but it looks interesting.  The longer you're awake the more you eat.  Apparently it's not so much that people eat more because they're tired due to lack of sleep, but that most people eat almost constantly during their waking hours.  So the longer we're awake the more we eat.  Also seems to confirm that intermittent fasting may be beneficial.  And it looks as if anyone over 18 who wants to download the app can participate in ongoing research.

• Like 5

I guess I don't think of 1/2 of a cup of milk as much of a breakfast. By high protien I mean the fairlife brand milk, not a protein smoothie. So 1/2 cup has 6 grams of protein I think. 

6 grams for half a cup? That is an egg's worth, so not bad.

The irony is that one reason CICO doesn't work across the board is that years of dieting and extreme restriction mess up people's metabolisms so they don't lose weight efficiently or easily.

But, but, but... I haven't had a life of dieting and extreme restriction. I've just sort of led my life, sometimes making better choices and other times not so great, usually fairly active. But I've never been a calorie counter or restricted and certainly not a lifetime dieter. I had a healthier diet than most growing up in the 1970s, my mom was a bit of a health food nut, so I am very well acquainted with wheat germ, lol. But until about 7 years ago I didn't even know how may calories were in anything, much less how many I ate. And counting grams of things? That was just crazy talk, who could do that?

Then, in my 40s, my diet and activity level suddenly had no connection to my weight. It was very confusing. Now, I am counting every single gram of carbs, protein and fat, just trying to get out of the 'overweight' BMI category. It's been an interesting and hard earned education.

• Like 1

I have to eat in the morning.  If I drink my tea without eating it makes me feel nauseous.  I don't drink coffee so I don't know if that would be different.

I usually have eggs loaded with veggies in the morning, with a cup of tea with honey.  I'm usually not hungry until lunchtime but I feel like I'm starving in the afternoon a lot.  Especially when I'm bored.  So probably not really hungry.

If I eat eggs in the am, I feel nauseous.  I do have a slight egg allergy though, so that probably accounts for it.

Yeah, this plan really deals with some of that "think you are hungry when you aren't" stuff.

I'm finding exactly the opposite for myself. I've been trying to pay attention to true hunger cues over the last couple of months. I need to eat within 1 hour of waking up, and I'm hungry for lunch. I often am not hungry at dinnertime, so I'll eat a really light salad while the family eats. 

And don't get me wrong.  This plan does not say you CAN'T have breakfast, just that you don't have to eat in the am if you aren't hungry.

6 grams for half a cup? That is an egg's worth, so not bad.

But, but, but... I haven't had a life of dieting and extreme restriction. I've just sort of led my life, sometimes making better choices and other times not so great, usually fairly active. But I've never been a calorie counter or restricted and certainly not a lifetime dieter. I had a healthier diet than most growing up in the 1970s, my mom was a bit of a health food nut, so I am very well acquainted with wheat germ, lol. But until about 7 years ago I didn't even know how may calories were in anything, much less how many I ate. And counting grams of things? That was just crazy talk, who could do that?

Then, in my 40s, my diet and activity level suddenly had no connection to my weight. It was very confusing. Now, I am counting every single gram of carbs, protein and fat, just trying to get out of the 'overweight' BMI category. It's been an interesting and hard earned education.

A slowing metabolism after 40 is really common, if not nearly universal. Restriction isn't the only reason that CICO doesn't work. Still, I've seen a lot of people, including me, lose significant weight when they lift heavy things and eat sensibility without extreme restrictions. I was not an extreme dieter before that but I know many who were and rehabilitated their metabolisms by eating more than they had. Some intially gained weight but their overall health and fitness improved and then the pounds started to come off, weight they hadn't been able to lose while on very low calorie diets for years.

I saw that study about the 5pc less for our generation, but I see it's already posted.

I also read a little about the traditional chinese medicine approach to weight gain which was interesting. While the strategies etc aren't scientifically proven, it was interesting that they generally see weight gain as a sign of something going wrong in the body overall rather than a symptom to be dealt with in isolation. Lose the weight without fixing the problem and the weight will come back and other problems will build up too.

Of course other than the herbs and acupuncture a lot of the advice given is fairly common Sense, eat till 80pc satisfied, exercise half an hour per day, reduce sweet foods and fried foods. Other things are a bit more quirky like only eating warm foods.

But I just think it's interesting that weightloss is viewed as a symptom of an unhealthy body not a cause.

The irony is that one reason CICO doesn't work across the board is that years of dieting and extreme restriction mess up people's metabolisms so they don't lose weight efficiently or easily.

This makes a terrific excuse for the angel food cake & fresh pineapple we had for dessert tonight, no?  Gotta keep the body guessing!   :lol:

I'll admit to being horrid at throwing out food.  The angel food cake was leftover from a meal I ate last night catching up with an old friend.  So yes, two nights in a row - with more to go - where are my boys when I need them???  My body has to be wondering what's wrong if I'm eating sweet desserts two nights + in a row!

Eggs and veggies are my most common breakfast w/green tea (unsweetened) to drink.  I can eat it daily and not get tired of it.  Almost all of it comes from our farm and tastes quite good.

Otherwise, I've never counted calories, grams or anything else, but I will look at salt content (now) to be sure I get enough.  I try to add a bit to my food when it's all fresh from the farm.  It's added mostly after cooking so hubby stays low salt.  His measurements remain higher than mine, so he has no need for more.

I'll admit to being horrid at throwing out food.  The angel food cake was leftover from a meal I ate last night catching up with an old friend.  So yes, two nights in a row - with more to go - where are my boys when I need them???  My body has to be wondering what's wrong if I'm eating sweet desserts two nights + in a row!

Yeah me too. For me it's part of growing up in a scarcity mindset. 

That's why there is part of a really good pound cake carefully wrapped in my freezer now, waiting for the arrival of a friend who will help me eat it :D

• Like 1

I've been rereading The Omnivore's Dillema.  His suggestion is that a big part of our change in eating habits came from the needs of the food industry to get rid of excess calories that came out of farm policy.  So - you suddenly get things like pop being served in great big bottles instead of tiny little ones. 

I also think - some kinds of weight gain are probably just normal, even if we don't really like them.  In older people, you often seem to see either they get skinnier, or they get fatter, than they were when they were younger.  I don't know that I would include that kind of thing in abnormal weight gain.  Though - if our diets have changed, it may be that people whose metabolism managed to deal with that before menopause or age changed their exercise or whatever no just can't do it.

Really, gaining well should be an evolutionary advantage.  We like that sort of thing when we are talking about steer, or we are living in a subsistence environment.

• Like 1

I'll admit to being horrid at throwing out food. 

When I was growing up with a grandmother who had lived through two wars and a mother who had experienced famine as a young child, throwing away food was considered a sacrilege. It was simply not done. To this day, my mother - in her seventies now - feels guilty when she has let any food spoil so it has to be thrown out. I don't feel quite as strongly, since I did not suffer hunger as a child myself, but I definitely feel the cultural imprint of my upbringing that says this is sinful.

• Like 2

Really, gaining well should be an evolutionary advantage.  We like that sort of thing when we are talking about steer, or we are living in a subsistence environment.

I would make a most excellent cow.  Or, if I were back in the potato famine days, I would have been the last woman standing. 

Now I am worried some relative is going to find me and smack me for making a potato famine joke. I am pretty sure that is not allowed in my family.... :leaving:

• Like 5

I would make a most excellent cow.  Or, if I were back in the potato famine days, I would have been the last woman standing. 

Now I am worried some relative is going to find me and smack me for making a potato famine joke. I am pretty sure that is not allowed in my family.... :leaving:

Yeah, Irish stock here, too.  We joke that's why my oldest dd and I could probably literally live off potatoes for just years. Seriously.

When I was growing up with a grandmother who had lived through two wars and a mother who had experienced famine as a young child, throwing away food was considered a sacrilege. It was simply not done. To this day, my mother - in her seventies now - feels guilty when she has let any food spoil so it has to be thrown out. I don't feel quite as strongly, since I did not suffer hunger as a child myself, but I definitely feel the cultural imprint of my upbringing that says this is sinful.

Both of my grandmothers lived through the depression and both WWs.  They are also the ladies who taught me to cook.  There's very little we waste, both in prep and through spoilage afterward.  Then anything we don't use goes to our chickens or compost.  (Apples and pears we don't use can also go to our ponies in moderation.)

I'm not sure I'll ever stop feeling guilty if I forget something, and throwing something away that's perfectly good just can't happen.  One more night and the angel food cake is gone... if something like this happens again, I might find out how well it freezes as saving it for my boys would have been ideal!

Fortunately, so far, no real weight gain (just a statistically meaningless one)... though no loss either and if it keeps my body guessing, it really could be something positive I would think.

Next weekend+ will be a major shift as we'll be traveling again.  Yea for traveling!  Yea for special treats we seldom eat and the company we get to eat them with!  Time will tell on how long it takes to pull it back off...  It took two weeks to pull off stuff from our visit to my in-laws... (same length trip)  It only took one week to pull off weight from our anniversary trip.  Both had a similar weight gain.  The difference may have been the lack of exercise at my in-laws?  (Weight on, slowing metabolism?)  Or something else?  Who knows?  As long as it comes back off!  In the old days (prior to "regular" diet change), the weight would go on and really not come back off.

I'm hoping the diet change with regular (monthly) "differences" might work at keeping the body guessing (rather than adjusting) similar to the 5:2 (or whatever it is) diet.  For now it's working ok.  Yesterday I hit a new low on the scale...  :coolgleamA:  It's a nice feeling.

Sometimes I feel like my friends think I am judging or shaming them but I am not.  For example, on Wednesdays my boys take homeschool classes near us.  We are there all day  (literally 9 am to 4 pm)  so I choose to spend part of the time that they are in class walking.  Some of my friends can be quite snarky about it.  "But you're not fat"  they say.  Or, "You make me feel lazy". So I am wrong because I want to get some exercise at the only time I really have free?  

I am not overweight and I am working hard to keep it that way.  I broke my ankle two years ago and I all ready have signs of arthritis because of it.  The doctor says any extra weight will make it be much worse.  So I walk and do other exercises to help keep in shape.  

One friend had a bag of cookies that she repeatedly offered to me.  I declined politely.  She continued waving them in my face and insisting that I eat one.  It actually got very uncomfortable.  I was not trying to be rude, but I don't like packaged food because my body does not react well to chemicals.  I finally agreed to take half a cookie just so she would stop.  So who is judging?  Most of my friends are slightly overweight and a few are quite overweight.  Whatever makes them happy makes me happy, so why are they so bothered by my working hard to stay at a comfortable weight for me?

• Like 4

I just skimmed this article quickly (because ironically enough I'm supposed to be fixing dinner ;)) but it looks interesting.  The longer you're awake the more you eat.  Apparently it's not so much that people eat more because they're tired due to lack of sleep, but that most people eat almost constantly during their waking hours.  So the longer we're awake the more we eat.  Also seems to confirm that intermittent fasting may be beneficial.  And it looks as if anyone over 18 who wants to download the app can participate in ongoing research.

Yes! I was just going to share this, but you beat me to it. Until my hysterectomy 3 years ago, I never had a problem with weight and could eat pretty much whatever I wanted. Even since then, I eat way more (especially junk) than I should and still do not gain more than 5-10 pounds, which I regularly fight with. This is my natural way of eating, as I don't eat after supper at about 6, and don't have anything but coffee before 9 or 10 in the morning. Wonder if that is why I do not weigh 700 pounds? 

• Like 1

Apparently it's not so much that people eat more because they're tired due to lack of sleep, but that most people eat almost constantly during their waking hours. So the longer we're awake the more we eat. Also seems to confirm that intermittent fasting may be beneficial. And it looks as if anyone over 18 who wants to download the app can participate in ongoing research.

I've been thinking about this more since I read the article last night, and you know how people talk about "the freshman fifteen" - the weight that you gain your first year at college? Well, for me, it was the 15 pounds that I LOST that year had my parents freaked out. For whatever reason, it never occurred to me to keep snack foods in my dorm room. It was the place that I slept and studied, not the place that I ate. I always ate in the cafeteria with my friends. But I wasn't a breakfast person at that time, so lunch and dinner only, two meals a day, no snacks. I ate a lot during those two meals. In fact, to be honest, I ate a lot of junk! Those meals were extremely heavy on desserts. But those two meals were it.

Before, when I had been in high school, I also didn't eat breakfast, but I pretty much snacked and grazed constantly from the time I got home from school until the time I went to bed! And the difference in those patterns made a difference of literally about 15 pounds.

I have to eat three meals now. I've developed reactive hypoglycemia, and skipping a meal puts me at greater risk of having an episode after the next meal. But I noticed the conductors of the study were recommending that one test group restrict their eating times to 10-12 hours a day instead of 14. I can certainly do that.

Very interesting stuff. I wish I could participate in the study, but I don't have a smartphone.

• Like 5

I was in New York this weekend and was really surprised at how many thin people I saw.  I've been mulling over the idea that CICO is a myth, but then I'd expect to see an even distribution of sizes of people everywhere.  Perhaps CICO works for the vast majority of people, but there is a small percentage that it doesn't work for (and that percentage happens to be very vocal on this thread)?

I've actually been kind of discouraged by this thread.  I've gained about 30 pounds in the last ten years and I'd really like to lose it.  The idea that CICO is a myth was very discouraging to me.  I'm more encouraged now after being in NY because clearly being overweight isn't inevitable or insurmountable if all those New Yorkers can avoid it.  

• Like 4

I was in New York this weekend and was really surprised at how many thin people I saw.  I've been mulling over the idea that CICO is a myth, but then I'd expect to see an even distribution of sizes of people everywhere.  Perhaps CICO works for the vast majority of people, but there is a small percentage that it doesn't work for (and that percentage happens to be very vocal on this thread)?

I've actually been kind of discouraged by this thread.  I've gained about 30 pounds in the last ten years and I'd really like to lose it.  The idea that CICO is a myth was very discouraging to me.  I'm more encouraged now after being in NY because clearly being overweight isn't inevitable or insurmountable if all those New Yorkers can avoid it.  

This is a good point.  This is an obesity map of Britain from a few years ago:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7584191.stm

There are actually genetic differences between Cornish and Devonian people (Cornwall is darker in the 'toe' of England than Devon next door) but I'd be surprised if there was an enormous genetic difference between some of the other areas.  I believe that the US has similar variation in weight levels by region.

You have to walk if you live in New York.....  between places, and up and down stairs, often carrying groceries.

• Like 5

CICO has worked beautifully for me. I have been out of the obese range for more than 3 years now and I no longer suffer the crippling back pain that I did when I was heavier. I carried much of the weight in my belly due to PCOS so it was very hard on my back. YMMV of course.

• Like 2

I know what you mean about a discouraging tone to this thread.  If you haven't, why not look at NoS (www.nosdiet.com) which suggests some very doable everyday habits that can have a significant effect on weight.  The NoS forums are a treasure trove of encouragement and helpful ideas.  

If you visit  the testimonial board over there, you'll see that I've posted my 7th(!) annual testimony.  In a nutshell, I've lost over 50 pounds (AND HAVE KEPT IT OFF!)  despite being over 50, menopausal, short, and hypothyroidic,...  Here's a link to that post:   http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10627

And in any case, I think the basic NoS habits are great even if one ends up needing to add some further dietary restrictions because they mimic the habitual way people have eaten around the world and through the centuries; ie. very doable.

HTH,

• Like 4

If it adds any encouragement, hubby has been able to take pounds off by modifying his diet similar to mine (more fruits and veggies, less starches, less meat, but neither of these last two totally cut out).  We're both noticing positive effects for him too.

He's not morbidly obese, but he's certainly a bit overweight.  He'll want to lose another 30 - maybe 40 - pounds to be at an ideal weight for his size.  He's game to do it.

We ARE seeing good results by not keeping the diet 100% consistent.  I suspect the body does adjust to the new normal, so not having a "perfectly kept to" normal could be a key.

I don't doubt that there are exceptions to the general rule, but I don't think those exceptions fit the majority of people.

Just yesterday we looked at each other and chuckled a little bit as we said, "You know, those people who put out the diet/eating/exercise recommendations just might know what they are talking about."   :lol:

It's nice to see positive changes!

• Like 6

Yes, I think it does work for most people - except for those who have underlying medical issues that cause the weight gain.

Whenever you go to places where people are very active, CO for example, you see fewer overweight people (and statistics bear this out for the states) than in areas that have less of a culture of physical activity. So clearly, there is a correlation. If you're in NY, you probably have to walk several miles during daily activities. If you're in the rural Midwest, you can avoid any physical exertion by driving your car door to door.

CICO works beautifully for me - but I have no health issues and am not obese.

• Like 9

I know what you mean about a discouraging tone to this thread.  If you haven't, why not look at NoS (www.nosdiet.com) which suggests some very doable everyday habits that can have a significant effect on weight.  The NoS forums are a treasure trove of encouragement and helpful ideas.  

If you visit  the testimonial board over there, you'll see that I've posted my 7th(!) annual testimony.  In a nutshell, I've lost over 50 pounds (AND HAVE KEPT IT OFF!)  despite being over 50, menopausal, short, and hypothyroidic,...  Here's a link to that post:   http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10627

And in any case, I think the basic NoS habits are great even if one ends up needing to add some further dietary restrictions because they mimic the habitual way people have eaten around the world and through the centuries; ie. very doable.

HTH,

OMG, that site just cracked me up. Enjoyed reading, thanks.  :laugh:

• Like 1

DH was in NY for work and he walked 18,000 steps every day without even trying.  Just getting from his hotel to the subway to the university to lunch etc etc.  He can get 10,000 steps a day at work some days, because he often has to walk from building to building on campus, but this was almost twice as much.

And our weight is also influenced by our environment.  "NYC Skinny" is a thing. I saw it when I lived there over 20 years ago and I know it had an effect upon my choices.  I def felt the pressure.  When I visit my hometown it is clear that 'skinny' is NOT a thing. People look much heavier and less well dressed or put together than the city where I live now. I can see it in the adults and the children. Where I live now is between the two.

It is also a class issue. Poorer people tend to be move overweight and in poorer health. That is the result of a lot of things, poor people have much less access to health care or affordable healthy foods. But it also becomes a part of social status and how we place each others social class.

Here is a whole book about how to be NY skinny, lol

http://www.amazon.com/The-Manhattan-Diet-Weight-Fabulous/dp/1118016149

• Like 4

Our niece and nephew moved to NYC three years ago and though neither was fat, they both lost weight because they walk a TON.  They eat out almost all the time and frequently play tour guide to visitors and they eat a lot then.  They are church planters and they often have visitors from the churches who support them.  But even with all that food, they stay very slim.  And they do a lot of stairs- typical New Yorkers, they have no time to wait for an elevator...they just start climbing stairs. 

My niece has fabulous calf muscles, especially for a 43 year old!

• Like 7

Our niece and nephew moved to NYC three years ago and though neither was fat, they both lost weight because they walk a TON.  They eat out almost all the time and frequently play tour guide to visitors and they eat a lot then.  They are church planters and they often have visitors from the churches who support them.  But even with all that food, they stay very slim.  And they do a lot of stairs- typical New Yorkers, they have no time to wait for an elevator...they just start climbing stairs.

I completely believe this.

I gained weight when I began homeschooling. When my kids were still attending school, my day began with a two mile walk to the elementary and middle schools and back home, before leaving for work from home. Once I started homeschooling, I no longer walked in the morning and gained weight; not a huge amount, but a few pounds, enough so my tight pants no longer fit. It was the only life style change and had noticeable results.

• Like 7

And our weight is also influenced by our environment.  "NYC Skinny" is a thing. I saw it when I lived there over 20 years ago and I know it had an effect upon my choices.  I def felt the pressure.  When I visit my hometown it is clear that 'skinny' is NOT a thing. People look much heavier and less well dressed or put together than the city where I live now. I can see it in the adults and the children. Where I live now is between the two.

Yeah, we have relatives who visit from the Midwest and they always comment how much slimmer people are here in the SF Bay area.

And my college friend who always had a belly moved to Spain after graduation and within a year she had lost a lot of weight just from all the walking and eating a diet based much more on fish, vegetables, and olive oil with fewer sweets and no soda.

• Like 3

Yes! I was just going to share this, but you beat me to it. Until my hysterectomy 3 years ago, I never had a problem with weight and could eat pretty much whatever I wanted. Even since then, I eat way more (especially junk) than I should and still do not gain more than 5-10 pounds, which I regularly fight with. This is my natural way of eating, as I don't eat after supper at about 6, and don't have anything but coffee before 9 or 10 in the morning. Wonder if that is why I do not weigh 700 pounds? 

Maybe, but that is also how I naturally eat and I'm morbidly obese. I found those researchers' findings interesting, but that's not the problem in my case. I wish it were, as it would be a concrete thing to fix.

• Like 1

Did you sign up? I did, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right!

I did.  I'm not sure I'm doing it right, but I'm trying.  I'm not sure it will help at all, but maybe they can use my data.  I need to find a scale, that reminds me...

Yes, I think it does work for most people - except for those who have underlying medical issues that cause the weight gain.

Whenever you go to places where people are very active, CO for example, you see fewer overweight people (and statistics bear this out for the states) than in areas that have less of a culture of physical activity. So clearly, there is a correlation. If you're in NY, you probably have to walk several miles during daily activities. If you're in the rural Midwest, you can avoid any physical exertion by driving your car door to door.

CICO works beautifully for me - but I have no health issues and am not obese.

Not just CAN but often that's about the only choice.  With zero public transportation and very long distances between places, walking is simply not very feasible for day to day activities.  I lived in town and was super lucky to get a street with a sidewalk.  Many towns either do not have sidewalks or they are very spotty (maybe one block does, but then you have 1/2 a mile until the next) and with crazy drivers, it's simply too risky to walk in the roads.  And bike trails and bike lanes are just simply not a thing in the rural midwest.  I've lived allllll over the Midwest from urban to very very rural and even the big cities here do not have much walkability outside of the downtown area.  They are spread out and arranged around car transportation.  NYC and San Francisco are awesome for walking and biking.  Chicago is pretty good, too.  But it's simply not reality for most of the midwest. 

I also want to add from my own experiences in urban areas that one reason you might see less overweight people other than more walking is poverty and drugs.  In very hip well to do urban areas, there's a lot of pressure to be thin, a lot younger population (age and metabolism, etc.), and if you have enough money to live in the areas of Manhattan my family lived in last time I was there, you have money for the absolute best food money can buy and the culture around that of very formal meals with great ingredients made for you and access to more fresh fruits/vegetables and excellent urban doctor care at the best hospitals. In the poorer areas of urban areas, well, you're up a creek without a paddle. I have not seen as many thin people in the poverty stricken areas I have visited despite better walkability than I have. I'm not talking true starvation areas like we are seeing in Syria, obviously enough of a calorie deficit affects both weight and health (physical and mental). Just less access to quality food. 

• Like 1

Sorry if this gets a bit off topic, but wanted to respond.

Not just CAN but often that's about the only choice.  With zero public transportation and very long distances between places, walking is simply not very feasible for day to day activities.  I lived in town and was super lucky to get a street with a sidewalk.  Many towns either do not have sidewalks or they are very spotty (maybe one block does, but then you have 1/2 a mile until the next) and with crazy drivers, it's simply too risky to walk in the roads.  And bike trails and bike lanes are just simply not a thing in the rural midwest.  I've lived allllll over the Midwest from urban to very very rural and even the big cities here do not have much walkability outside of the downtown area.  They are spread out and arranged around car transportatio

Yes, public transit is sorely lacking in most places, but most people have still choices. I live in the Midwest in a small town. We had to choose between living outside of town, with land, or in town within biking distance from work. For our family, the ability for DH to commute by bike and us to walk to school was the number one priority for choosing our house. Yes, that is not possible everywhere - but choices exist. For example, all other families on our street chose to drive the 0.7 mile to the elementary school; we were the only ones who chose to walk. No sidewalk, so I accompanied the kids to school, walked back home, and then went to work.

As far as biking goes: no bike lanes, but traffic is far less crazy than where we lived in England. (As an aside:  I'm lazy and pretty good at finding excuses why I can't bike to work, and for years kid activities were that excuse. But I have no more excuses now and have given myself a kick in the butt and been biking since my son got his driver license ;-)

I find that people here have strange ideas what constitutes a "long" walk or bike ride. I have gotten stares when I told people that my daily walk to and from elementary+middle school and back home is two miles: "What??? You walk TWO MILES?" I have students tell me they are late because they live so far from campus - 1.5 miles.

Just to clarify: I am not saying everybody needs to live in town or needs to walk or bike to work - but I find it important not to blame "society" when there are options, if one cares enough about an issue. Sometimes there are really no options, but sometimes that's just an excuse.

• Like 9

Regentrude, you bring up good points but walking requires time. We have a lot of options, but all of them involve giving up two hours per day for increased transportation time. If we were all to walk (vs. just those over 10, who walk alone), it would be an increase of 6 hours per day in walking, because we commute to the city, and the small children are slow.

If I walk to the school, 1 mile away, I must walk back. That's 2 miles, at a brisk walk to avoid a shower after, 30 minutes (there is a big hill and the child is slower). Then if I bike/bus to work, it takes me (I wrote to our transit dept. about this) one hour more. Each way. If my partner does the same, that's one hour each way for him as well.

I can't drive in and bus back because then I have no car here. So I must use transit both ways or neither way.

We have what may quite possibly be the cheapest rental per room in the nearest 15 zip codes so moving is not an option for us. Most people are terrified to move within the school district because house prices are skyrocketing so you always lose unless you can buy first, sell after, and as for rentals, just pray the landlord doesn't notice you. Maybe they will forget you even exist. 

So I think the choices you talk about are a little over-simplified. We have flexible schedules. Just imagine being a teacher or working at a store with set hours. My god, we could never do it.

The children do walk to school if there's no bus, though, and that's that. We did the same.

• Like 1

I find that people here have strange ideas what constitutes a "long" walk or bike ride. I have gotten stares when I told people that my daily walk to and from elementary+middle school and back home is two miles: "What??? You walk TWO MILES?" I have students tell me they are late because they live so far from campus - 1.5 miles.

This continues to surprise us.  Even in the geocaching world where hikes can be common, we've had many people tell us a location is a long hike from the parking area, so are we sure we want to do it?  Their idea of long?  Half a mile to a mile.  My kids learned to stifle their laughter, but always let it loose in the car.  We still joke about such things.

Our preference for hikes is in the 4-5 mile + range.  Even 9 - 12 is not out of range for us if we have the time for it, esp if the views are good.

We have areas around our farm that we walk daily if we can.  That, alone, will get us a minimum of a mile and a half.  It can be difficult to walk elsewhere though, unless one lives in town.  Most choose not to walk there.

• Like 9

Yeah actually, I just had a student (who is on the verge of failing due to lack of attendance) tell me he could not make class and was missing many classes because he did not have a car or someone to give him a ride. There is NO public transportation here.

How far away does he live? Less than two miles.

• Like 1

Regentrude, you bring up good points but walking requires time. ..

So I think the choices you talk about are a little over-simplified.

As I wrote: "sometimes there are no options". I never claimed everybody has the choice about everything. Just to be aware that we have, and make, choices that affect our habits.

Having grown up in a society where you were not free to choose your profession, your town, or your apartment, I know what it is not to have options.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but there is a selection bias in cities like NY and SF.  People who have health problems that don't allow them that level of activity can't live in cities where the only affordable way to get around is intense walking or biking stretches.  The healthy (and thin) people that you see walking everywhere might have been that way before, and that's why they live in a city with that culture.  It's not necessarily true that anyone transplanted there will magically become thin and fit.

• Like 3

Just to clarify: I am not saying everybody needs to live in town or needs to walk or bike to work - but I find it important not to blame "society" when there are options, if one cares enough about an issue. Sometimes there are really no options, but sometimes that's just an excuse.

On the flip side, although walking may help prevent issues, in this very thread many people have said walking a few miles isn't enough to really effect weight. When I started gaining in puberty I was still biking to school (about 2 miles each way) every day, walking to friend's houses (0.5-2 miles depending on the friend), etc. 

Where I am now the nearest grocery store is 5.4 miles, much of which is 6-8 lane highway roads. I also live in the most dangerous city for pedestrians in the country. There is no way we could afford to live in one of the few "downtown" type areas where you can walk to the store, etc. We would have loved to, my husband's major goal is to live downtown or in a similar area, but housing prices are so much higher (with smaller, older houses!). So no, walking to the store isn't an option.( Post office is a similar distance, doctor, dry cleaner, etc are all farther.)

However we did have our son walk to the elementary school, and were shocked at how few kids did. WE picked this neighborhood partly because it was such a nice easy walk to the school! He also biked to the highschool the semester he went, which was about 2.5 miles. That made me a bit nervous as the traffic near the school was awful with all the student drivers but honestly, driving wasn't much better and he was a safe biker.

I do think we need to be less sendentary. I dont' know that it's about burning calories as much as it is about metabolism in general, I think weird metabolic changes happen when we are sedentary too long. Almost like the body thinks we must be sick or injured or something. I think fit bits and such are good for that. But I can say that doubling my steps walked and eating half as many calories (my experiment when I first got the fit bit) caused me to lose, over several weeks, ONE pound. Then nothing. So it's not THE answer, but it's important for health.

Lobbying for more walkable streets is important.  

• Like 7

Times a thousand. All of the new development areas of our small town are almost completely impassible to pedestrians. I cringe when I see kids biking across the 8 lane highway offramps we've created in our 1 square mile town with no crossing signals or sidewalks. It's insane.

• Like 3

I have struggled with the 'bus/walk' to work thing for years.  It seems like a good idea, but so many things have to go *just right* for it to work out.  The busses have to be reliably on schedule, I have to be able to get to and from them and still look professional, rain or shine, and I have to *leave on time*.  That last one is a real issue.  I'm more of a 'work until the work is done' kind of person.  And I have to then plan not to accomplish any other errands during the workday--no stopping at the grocery store or post office on the way to or from the office.  Pretty inefficient, especially on top of it taking about 3X as long to do the trip in the first place.

Also, I sweat.  So when I walk to the bus in my professional clothes, I generally feel a bit clammy all morning.  That is gross.  I think that the newer office buildings that have exercise facilities or at least a shower area available would be really helpful.  I have decided, generally, that it is unrealistic to plan on using public transportation for commuting.

Public transportation in Connecticut is 100% worthless. You can count on adding 3-4 hours to your commute, and that is no hyperbole. It's a shame we haven't got a T system similar to Boston, or something, surrounding the Hartford area.

Where I live in Plainville, there used to be street cars. You could still see the rails poking out of the asphalt in the town center throughout my schooling. They were all ripped out because street cars fell out of fashion, largely thanks to the way automobiles were marketed to America. :-P

• Like 1

On the flip side, although walking may help prevent issues, in this very thread many people have said walking a few miles isn't enough to really effect weight. When I started gaining in puberty I was still biking to school (about 2 miles each way) every day, walking to friend's houses (0.5-2 miles depending on the friend), etc. 

I do think we need to be less sendentary. I dont' know that it's about burning calories as much as it is about metabolism in general, I think weird metabolic changes happen when we are sedentary too long. Almost like the body thinks we must be sick or injured or something. I think fit bits and such are good for that. But I can say that doubling my steps walked and eating half as many calories (my experiment when I first got the fit bit) caused me to lose, over several weeks, ONE pound. Then nothing. So it's not THE answer, but it's important for health.

We did not discontinue our hikes as my kids aged and I still gained weight.  I definitely believe older age and slower metabolism go together for many.

However, I notice a bit of difference when I'm more or less continually active throughout the day vs when I'm sitting for most of the day.

Times a thousand. All of the new development areas of our small town are almost completely impassible to pedestrians. I cringe when I see kids biking across the 8 lane highway offramps we've created in our 1 square mile town with no crossing signals or sidewalks. It's insane.

Around here pretty much EVERY new subdivision hubby designs must have sidewalks - even when they are out away from town.  There is a rare exception or two, but they have to go through special meetings to get that exception.

Some areas are progressing, but even when I drive by places with sidewalks I rarely see people walking unless they are walking a dog.  There is an occasional jogger, but occasional enough that I recognize them even when I don't get there often.

I live 5 miles from where I work and there's no way I'd ever walk it even though we do longer hikes.  There really isn't even a decent shoulder on the road and with some small hills and turns - it would be quite dangerous.  Every now and then someone bikes these roads, but they do so cautiously.

What works for one, won't necessarily work for another for a whole slew of reasons.

In general, finding some way to 1) stop the muscle loss as we age (sarcopenia) and 2) move more is a good idea. It might not lead to weight loss, but it will improve a person's health. Muscle cells contain mitochondria, the little energy factories in our cells. So more muscle throughout means more mitochondria providing a person doesn't have a mitochondrial disease. Moving helps to make the mitochondria more efficient, balances neurotransmitters and hormones, etc. Do whatever works for you.

We all have different biochemistries and this is probably one reason why one person can eat more calories than another and stay at a healthy weight. The same is true for iron absorption. For example, some people absorb much more iron than others. Too much iron is dangerous. Individuals with hereditary hemochromatosis (HH), one or two genetic mutations often seen in people from Ireland, England and Northern Europe, absorb more iron in their intestines than people who don't have HH. The same is probably true for calories. Some people may be more efficient at storing calories than others. There are also cases of children who fail to thrive and are kept and observed in an institution, intubated and force fed yet still have trouble gaining weight even though they are definitely being fed calories. This can happen when parents do not bond well with the child. I recently read about a 4-year-old girl in Texas who went through this for several years and only improved once she and her young, single mother (a child of the foster care system) went to live with a caring foster mother for a year. The young mother knew how to provide for her physically but not emotionally. The foster mother taught the young mother how to respond and bond to her child and, lo and behold, the toddler began to put on weight -- 10 pounds in the first month which even the hospitals could not manage to do. The chemical stew in all of us has some sort of effect and is influenced by many factors.

• Like 1