Menu

When you get a warning for a broken headlight - what happens next?

PrincessMommy

I'm curious.

My son was pulled over last week for a broken headlight (the bulb was out, nothing was busted)   The warning said that he had 10days to take it to an authorized mechanic to be fixed or, if he did it himself, he had to take it to a police station to verify that it was fixed.    Either way the warning ticket had to be signed and turned in within 10 days.

It's been a very long times since I've gotten a warning, but I'd never heard of that.  It was just a warning... that's it.   Clearly, that has changed. 

What is it like in your area?

Not sure about showing that it was done, but I was in traffic court recently  :001_rolleyes:  and saw a few people who'd been ticketed for such things. They merely showed the judge the receipt that the repair was done (or a bulb was purchased) and the judge dismissed them. I don't think they had to pay court fees.

I'd get it fixed and then call the police station in the jurisdiction where he got the warning and ask what to do. Or I'd go by in person w/ that vehicle, but if there is no paper trail, I don't see how he can follow up on it.

FYI: an illegal U turn = two illegal left turns in Virginia. I never saw the sign. *Sigh*

New policy? I am accustomed to a warning being issued and a ten-day grace period allowed for repair. If the repair is not made, and the driver is pulled over again, at that point there may be a fine levied.

Sounds like a foolish waste of time to require a citizen to appear in court solely to present proof of repair.

• Like 1

New policy? I am accustomed to a warning being issued and a ten-day grace period allowed for repair. If the repair is not made, and the driver is pulled over again, at that point there may be a fine levied.

Sounds like a foolish waste of time to require a citizen to appear in court solely to present proof of repair.

this is what I remember from previous years.  Warning with a grace period.  If it's sited again then you get an actual ticket/fine, etc. (or go to court as Angie inVA noticed). But having to prove it was done with the first warning is new to me.

Son took it in last night to be "approved"...so that part is done...but what a hassle.

Usually any cop can do it, even out of the jurisdiction where you got it in the first place. I've gotten a bunch of these for things like headlight out/taillight out (it's very easy for them to go out on long trips even if they worked when you left). 

It's been a long time, but I remember getting a "fix-it ticket" for something like that.    That was in California.  I had to get whatever it was fixed, and send proof to the court.  It was on the ticket.  It wasn't considered a warning, but there was no fine if the work was done by the deadline.

Did he get an actual thing - piece of paper - to deal with, or was it just verbal?  If it was verbal I don't know how the police would follow up on it.  

That's weird. I wonder if it's different if you're under a certain age? Last time I got a warning ticket, it was just a warning, no procedure, but it also made it clear that the broken light was in the system and if I got another ticket after the "fix it" time elapsed, it would be a pay ticket.

Here you get 24 hours to get a light replaced. If you don't and you get stopped again you will get a ticket. Light bulbs go at random times and they want you safe not to penalize. Our police are starting to charge to check unless you get the same group that stopped you (troopers versus village). It's now easiest to have it done where they can just sign the paper and be done with it. 

That is what they do here.  You get it fixed and then you take your car and the warning and you go to the police station within 10 days. You go to the desk, hand them the warning.  The Desk Sargent calls a uniform cop to meet you at the desk. The two of you walk outside and you show her or him the thing is now fixed. The cop signs the warning and you bring it back inside and hand it to the Desk Sargent. Done.  If it's a slow day the desk person will come out with you instead of making you wait for a uniform.

On my way home from work one night, my headlight blew. Within a few miles I was pulled over...just my luck. Anyway, I got the warning ticket,  dh fixed the headlight, and I took it to the police station to prove I had fixed it. The cop came out, looked at the light, and walked away. I asked what I was supposed to do about the ticket and he told me to throw it away. He didn't write down anything, no record that I brought the car back, fixed. 

It bugged me - they could have at least pretended to note that I fixed it. 

Wow, after reading this thread I'm even more ticked off about the ticket I was given AS I WAS PULLING INTO THE PARKING LOT of the store where I was going to purchase a new headlight. I've never heard of a warning with a timeframe to prove repair. That's actually pretty cool. My ticket cost me $54  :glare:

that sucks.  And what was the point of it b/c you were in process to deal with it?  Sheesh, some cop was having a bad day and took it out on you.

Just made me remember an incident years ago. My mom was stopped for a broken headlight - it had gone out as we were driving as it had been ok when we left. She said she hadn't noticed it was out. The officer was giving her a hard time about that - how could you not know? I nudged my mom... she looked at the police car which also had a headlight out! She pointed it out, and that she could stop at a garage down the street, but that he would have to drive to the police garage downtown to get it fixed.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm curious.

My son was pulled over last week for a broken headlight (the bulb was out, nothing was busted)   The warning said that he had 10days to take it to an authorized mechanic to be fixed or, if he did it himself, he had to take it to a police station to verify that it was fixed.    Either way the warning ticket had to be signed and turned in within 10 days.

It's been a very long times since I've gotten a warning, but I'd never heard of that.  It was just a warning... that's it.   Clearly, that has changed. 

What is it like in your area?

I had to do that a few years ago. I actually got really mad about it, because the cop pulled me over on a highway, on a rainy night, and left me waiting beside this busy, dark highway with 3 young children--one a screaming baby who had been asleep--for at least 20 minutes while he wrote a WARNING ticket! I was honestly afraid that we were going to get hit while we waited. Then, of course, I had to drive in the rain with a screaming baby, which is a bit distracting. All he really needed to do was to tell me that I had a headlight out.

And for the record, I have a lot of respect for policemen, and I'm very grateful for their service to society. I just didn't feel like he handled our situation with much common sense. Grrr..

I was pulled over last year for having broken headlight. The officer took my license, made sure there weren't any outstanding warrants, returned my license to me and told me to get it fixed. Nothing written down for me at all, although I assume there was a note made somewhere in their records. I was able to get it fixed a few days later, but didn't have to prove that I'd gotten it fixed. 

There was another time when I was driving through a license check on the first of the month and had an expired inspection tag (expired the day before) and he just told me to be sure it was taken care of - he didn't even make any notes. 

• Like 2