Menu

Winter Gear

mommymilkies

I know it's August, but bear with me.  I'm keeping an eye out for sales and resale shops and need to start early. I talked about this awhile back, but we're moving to the frigid north where things are a bit more extreme and start earlier than I'm used to.  

What are your favorite winter clothes or gear?  Links would be handy.  Think a very long, harsh, deep winter.  We'll probably try to get out in the snow quite a bit so we don't get cabin fever. 

We have some gear, but I'm trying to get my act together before we move. :)

I love LL. bean coats and boots. They do go on sale. Even at regular price though they will sell out and be back ordered for months (as I learned the hard way)

North Face are also really good and have been indestructible for us.

We did find two North Face and one Patagonia (also nice, but $$$) at a local thrift store.

• Like 1

Smartwool socks.

When Smartwool got bought out, the quality tanked significantly.  I have my very first pair that I bought 15 years ago and they are still going strong.  Others I bought last year have already sprung holes.  Point 6 socks are made by the original Smartwool folks and are made in the U.S. for about the same price.  I have some that are three years old and still holding up after heavy use.  So that is what a recommend now.

• Like 5

Columbia 3-1 jackets so you are covered for outerwear the three seasons.

Wool mittens and socks. This is one area its worth to pay a bit more and get the softer wool so no chafing even with wet feet.

Wool hats are a life saver.

A good fitting pair of winter boots is a must. Kids' feet grow and we always got plenty of wear from hand-me-downs year after year.

When the kids were little, they wore snow pants just to keep dry when outside.

• Like 3

I like Campmor.com. I am lucky in that I can go to the actual store, but still the online is excellent, with a broader price range and lowere prices generally than REI.

When you get to the cold place you are going to, check out the local Costco. I just got down vests for $17 each. Last year, I got extremely warm snowboarding gloves for about $12 each. But you have to keep checking, as things go in and out of stock fairly quickly.

Some things I like that you might not think of if you are used to warm climates:

Long underwear

Sock liners

Glove liners

Vests, so that you don't have so many layers on your arms that you can't move

Boots that have very thick soles, otherwise the cold comes right up through your feet

Fleece and synthetics

NO COTTON!

For socks, it is not just the thickness, but more the closeness of the weave that keeps them warm. I just reached into my sock bag and found a new pair of Wigwam Merino Rugged Hiker socks. Thact brand/model were warmer than any others I have. In the $15-16 range, around my top price for socks.

I like Terramar for long underwear.

For parkas, I like the kind that has a fleece jacket and the a shell over. We have been happy with LL Bean and Columbia. Lots of Columbia in my house! Dd has a goose down Marmot parka, one piece, $$$, but bought on sale. It is TOO warm. Dd can only wear it when she is outside doing nothing, like watching Boy Scouts do a Klondike competition. So, yes, layers are the way to go.

If there is lots of snow, consider gaiters to keep your snow pants dry.

• Like 2

LL Bean everything. :)

Seriously, their 3 in 1 coat will get you from summer rains to winter's worst and everything in between.

I love my Keen snow boots. Fleece lined ski pants are great for hitting the snowshoe trails to standing for hours in a hockey rink. Or staying warm in a cold house. :) Last year's models can frequently be found; I have some North Face that I found at EMS for next to nothing last summer and I practically lived in them all winter.

Thin layers. If you get cold easily or will be outdoors, start with a good thin base, then work out from there--tops and bottoms. Look for tops with thumb holes. All winter wear should have thumb holes IMO. :). Multiple thin layers layers will keep you warmer and more comfortable than thick bulky ones. I almost never wear sweaters in winter, but fleece lined thermals are a lifesaver when the temps fall below zero.

Congrats on your move--hoping all the best for you! :)

Eta: Sierra Nevada, LL Bean, EMS, and REI are all great places to look for off season sales. I know the LL Bean here still has winter coats on sale so they might be worth checking out online if you don't have one nearby.

Eta again: apparently I have beer on the brain. Sierra Trading Post, as mentioned by gardenmom5, not Sierra Nevada! Geesh!

• Like 5

quality matters, fiber matters. (stay away from cotton - especially for long underwear. it absorbs 4xs it's weight in water - even perspiration - and takes forever to dry.  it's a risk for hypothermia.)

layer - you can add or subtract layers depending upon your activity.

start with quality breathable wicking long underwear. it should be snug, and able to wick perspiration away from your skin to keep you dry.  wintersilks (currently having sales), rei, smartwool, some synthetics.  (polypropylene is blech.)  comes in different weights depending upon how long you'll be outside, and what you're doing in what temps.

sometimes I have found good deals on sierratradingpost

quality polar fleece, wool - will be warm even when it is damp/wet, silk.   also consider wind.  your outer layer should be wind proof - and breathable.

1dd had a high quality down parka - she despised it because it was so bulky.  she picked up some llbean or lands end 3-in-one storm jacket. it had a windproof outershell, and a warm fleece lining.  she liked it much better.  get a roomy size so you can add or subtract sweaters (wool or fleece) underneath.

2dd had some stretchy spandex type thing meant for winter athletics she liked. she was doing crew in winter - in upstate NY. - here, she was always cold.  not in NY with all the stuff I got her to keep warm.  and she was outside a lot.

good ear warmers and gloves (mittens are supposed to be warmer.) - you lose lots of heat through ears and fingers.   dont' skimp on those.  wool hat for when it's really cold - scarf you can wrap around your face to cover your nose if needed.  dd had a wool/angora long coat with hood with a fox ruff.  that ruff actually kept her face warm.  except for her nose.

good boots.  and you don't want heavy boots as they will be tiring to walk in.  my girls had steger mukluks (currently having their 'garage' sale online) out of MN.  pricey, but extremely durable (you will hand them down to younger kids) and warm.  they outfit Iditarod drivers and Antarctic expeditions.  there's another boot that also looked interesting but I don't remember the name.  they were pull on.

again - be generous on sizing of boots - you can add or subtract wool socks depending upon temps - consider wicking sock liners.

eta: acrylic and raime fibers are purely about looks, and worthless for keeping warm.

• Like 3

Oh, and for the kids-- we really love snowbibs because they keep the snow from getting down the waist, a potential problem with just pants. I strongly suggest buying the best snow gear you can afford for the kids--it's SOOOO worth it. We've had to cut way too many sledding days with friends short because said friends had crappy snow gear that made them wet and shivery. Winter is too long--and too FUN--to waste on being cold. The good news is that most thrift or consignment shops have plenty of quality items. In Big Winter areas brands really can and do make the difference. I'll admit (and it's not *just* hometown pride) that I'll choose LL Bean over anything else because I know they are quality and I know DS will be warm.

• Like 2

LL Bean everything. :)

Seriously, their 3 in 1 coat will get you from summer rains to winter's worst and everything in between.

I love my Keen snow boots. Fleece lined ski pants are great for hitting the snowshoe trails to standing for hours in a hockey rink. Or staying warm in a cold house. :) Last year's models can frequently be found; I have some North Face that I found at EMS for next to nothing last summer and I practically lived in them all winter.

Thin layers. If you get cold easily or will be outdoors, start with a good thin base, then work out from there--tops and bottoms. Look for tops with thumb holes. All winter wear should have thumb holes IMO. :). Multiple thin layers layers will keep you warmer and more comfortable than thick bulky ones. I almost never wear sweaters in winter, but fleece lined thermals are a lifesaver when the temps fall below zero.

Congrats on your move--hoping all the best for you! :)

Eta: Sierra Nevada, LL Bean, EMS, and REI are all great places to look for off season sales. I know the LL Bean here still has winter coats on sale so they might be worth checking out online if you don't have one nearby.

Oh, yes, thumb holes. How could I foget? They close that nasty gap between gloves and sleeves.

Oh, and turtlenecks, just the neck part. You can pull them up over your face if needbe. Less restricting than wool helmets.

One more thing. Not everything has to be winter clothing. I often include a sports material t shirt and as a layer then a pair of thin black pants from Target between the long underwear and the fleece pants. Whe my kids were little, they sometimes wore pajamas as a layer, as long as there was no cotton. So you may be able to use some stuff you have already.

• Like 3

Oh, and for the kids-- we really love snowbibs because they keep the snow from getting down the waist, a potential problem with just pants. I strongly suggest buying the best snow gear you can afford for the kids--it's SOOOO worth it. We've had to cut way too many sledding days with friends short because said friends had crappy snow gear that made them wet and shivery. Winter is too long--and too FUN--to waste on being cold. The good news is that most thrift or consignment shops have plenty of quality items. In Big Winter areas brands really can and do make the difference. I'll admit (and it's not *just* hometown pride) that I'll choose LL Bean over anything else because I know they are quality and I know DS will be warm.

no no no.  rei is better.  :p   they were started by mt climbers in my hometown. ;)

dd would also wear wool tights sometimes underneath the long underwear layer. especially times when she had to wear a skirt. super thin, breathable, another warm layer, etc.

• Like 3

no no no. rei is better. :p they were started by mt climbers in my hometown. ;)

dd would also wear wool tights sometimes underneath the long underwear layer. especially times when she had to wear a skirt. super thin, breathable, another warm layer, etc.

REI is a close second for us. Both DH and I used to work for them. :)

When we lived in Minnesota, which is insanely colder than where we live now, I would wear tights, then long underwear, then outer layers. The key there was to never allow exposed skin to appear between the layers. That was 20 years ago and I'm amazed at how much better outer gear has become since then. But I remember all the old timers, out skiing in 30 below zero in just a Norwegian wool sweater and wool pants, like it was nothing. Ha ha--they were an inspiration! :)

• Like 2

no no no. rei is better. :p they were started by mt climbers in my hometown. ;)

dd would also wear wool tights sometimes underneath the long underwear layer. especially times when she had to wear a skirt. super thin, breathable, another warm layer, etc.

Is this a fight? I choose Campmor because I am in there several times a month. They give you a year to return things. I had a problem with a set of trekking poles, and Campmor sent them back for manufacturer to fix, no extra work for me.

But I have to admit that I was in REI several hours ago, and this fall I am planning to get dd an LL Bean two piece parka just like mine.

• Like 1

Got my dd a packable down parka at Lands End last year - it is truly as warm as my bulky parka.  Wish I could afford to buy myself one.  Check Lands End - they do rate what temps/wind chill a outer garment is good for.  I imagine LL Bean does the same.

• Like 2

If you have kids that are at all picky about clothing, I strongly encourage you to have them try on items first.

Things that sound like great advice (thumbholes, turtlenecks, snug-fitting wicking layers, etc.)--and that clearly work well for other families--are absolute no-gos with my kids.

No sense spending the money if the kids won't wear the clothes.

Don't skimp on boots though. We've been happy with Bogs.

• Like 2

We lived in MN and ND for almost 20 years. It's kinda cold there. :-)

I always bought Children's Place 3-in-1 parkas and snow bibs. When paired with warm underthings (like mentioned hothead) my children never complained and were warm and toasty. I know people have been questioning TCP's quality lately, so I can't say for this coming year. But if you find some on eBay or a second hand store I'd snatch it up!

We liked Sorel snow boots - pricey, but worth it, especially if one sibling can hand down to another. Love them!!

Hot Fingers has children's mittens with pockets for hand warmers. Those are great too!

• Like 1

We lived in MN and ND for almost 20 years. It's kinda cold there. :-)

I always bought Children's Place 3-in-1 parkas and snow bibs. When paired with warm underthings (like mentioned hothead) my children never complained and were warm and toasty. I know people have been questioning TCP's quality lately, so I can't say for this coming year. But if you find some on eBay or a second hand store I'd snatch it up!

We liked Sorel snow boots - pricey, but worth it, especially if one sibling can hand down to another. Love them!!

Hot Fingers has children's mittens with pockets for hand warmers. Those are great too!

We lived above the Arctic Circle, and now live a bit below ;)

My kids have always worn either OshKosh son suits or Children's Place snow suits. Regular toques, mitts from either Sears or Cabellas or LL Bean. Muck or Bog boots. Regular socks. Regular clothes underneath. Are you planning to be out for hours checking traplines or anything? Cause our friends who do that do buy really good boots for their kids.

• Like 2

When Smartwool got bought out, the quality tanked significantly.  I have my very first pair that I bought 15 years ago and they are still going strong.  Others I bought last year have already sprung holes.  Point 6 socks are made by the original Smartwool folks and are made in the U.S. for about the same price.  I have some that are three years old and still holding up after heavy use.  So that is what a recommend now.

Thanks! I had the same issues and have had some luck from ones sold at Target, but I'll look into these. 

Things that sound like great advice (thumbholes, turtlenecks, snug-fitting wicking layers, etc.)--and that clearly work well for other families--are absolute no-gos with my kids.

Don't skimp on boots though. We've been happy with Bogs.

that was the brand (couldn't remember the name) that looked interesting enough to possibly tempt me away from stegers.  (they started in Ely MN. and she got her instruction on how to make them from natives in Alaska.) need more information.

don't know where 1dd get's hers stuff, but she always wears thumb holes . . . . she orders online.

• Like 1

Long underwear and a really warm jacket (that covers the thighs) are key, for me.  Even my girls have moved from the waist-length jackets to the longer ones.  They're so much warmer.    And, a remote car starter to get that the car heater going!

For fun, check out places like Play It Again Sports for used cross-country ski equipment.

• Like 1

DS loves his Bogs boots. DH and I have Keens, mostly because they were less expensive than Bogs. Smart wool socks are awesome as are the LL bean wool socks. How north are you going and what do you do in the winter? We're not big ski people, so aside from some snowshoeing and sledding, we mostly just need to get from house to car to wherever without freezing. Smartwool socks, jeans, boots, long sleeved t shirt, sweater and coat (hat and mittens as needed) is my basic winter uniform. If I were going to be spending hours on the slopes, I'd add long underwear. Honestly, mostly I'm just really glad to be homeschooling and mostly working from home in the winter. :-) We can hunker down in sweatpants on the really cold days!

• Like 1

I shop thrift stores or child consignment shops before winter. I like Columbia, Lands End, L.L Bean or Hanna Andersson coats and snow pants. Even the Children's Place one we got from grandma one year was really good. It is all about the material used as insulation. I don't get cheap really puffy winter coats. I look all year round at thrift stores for inner layers made of fleece or wool and warm socks since those things are expensive. I only use those when we will be outside for a long time though. The hats I also get fleece or wool. I use inner layer and two pairs of synthetic socks when they will be out for a long time. Fleece coats are good for the car when you are just going in and out of a place and for an inner layer. I like bog boots but there a few similar brands that were decent too.

• Like 1

Our winters often get down to -20, and we haven't needed any super special gear. The kids wear their cotton socks and acrylic hats and are fine, but we are not outside for hours at a time (it's not that fun in the dark). Last winter I bought clearance stuff at Land's End in bigger sizes to last us the next few years. I find my kids can skip a size with LE stuff because the fit is forgiving. When we are doing errands, we just wear a parka and maybe hat/gloves in addition to our regular jeans/sweatshirts. You do acclimate, and by January -20 doesn't feel that cold.

Boots do matter! Three of us wear Bogs and they are worth every penny. I've used my pair for 3 years and they are still in great shape. They are roomy enough to slide over thick socks, and they keep us warm & dry.

I do have a kid with Reynaud's and he is a lot more proactive about gloves and hats. I should probably buy him some wool socks this year.

• Like 3

DS loves his Bogs boots. DH and I have Keens, mostly because they were less expensive than Bogs. Smart wool socks are awesome as are the LL bean wool socks. How north are you going and what do you do in the winter? We're not big ski people, so aside from some snowshoeing and sledding, we mostly just need to get from house to car to wherever without freezing. Smartwool socks, jeans, boots, long sleeved t shirt, sweater and coat (hat and mittens as needed) is my basic winter uniform. If I were going to be spending hours on the slopes, I'd add long underwear. Honestly, mostly I'm just really glad to be homeschooling and mostly working from home in the winter. :-) We can hunker down in sweatpants on the really cold days!

Well, think Lake Effect. :) 

As for outdoors activities-Probably some sledding, winter nature walks, and snowshoeing.  I don't think I'm coordinated enough for something like skiing.  

I usually love sheepskin boots. I have some excellent ones from years ago, but last winter they all got soaked through badly.  So we'll need at least backup pairs of boots. 

I am in the land of Lake Effect snow. First, cross country skiing is fun and easy....even for the non coordinated like me.

For our barn gear we have Bernie brand (like carhart but fit me better) but that is not really fashionable....although my set is a lovely rose color. For the barn we have muck brand or bog boots (check the comfort rating on them as mow that Bogs are really popular they have a lot of not quite as warm styles).

Layers are great. I own an ll bean parka and haven't worn it for years as I am active if I outside and it is too warm.

• Like 1

Got my dd a packable down parka at Lands End last year - it is truly as warm as my bulky parka.  Wish I could afford to buy myself one.  Check Lands End - they do rate what temps/wind chill a outer garment is good for.  I imagine LL Bean does the same.

I found I had to beware of Lands' End temperature ratings.  I bought for the correct temp. range before moving to Scotland, but later bought again from a range that promised to work at colder temps.  I think that the difference is how damp the air is: there's a big difference between dry, crisp air and damp air.

L

• Like 6

I like the lands end parka length coats for my kids. I usually get the ones that have a removable down type inner and then the waterproof outer and I buy for colder temps than we actually have since it's so damp. They keep changing what they have each year though and I don't think they have the 3 in 1 with a down type inner layer at the moment.

• Like 1

Great info--thanks! I am a snow and cold newby, too; we just moved to the Midwest and I'm apprehensive about the coming snow.

What do people do if you are going to a place where you will be indoors all day (so warm), butslightly dressy--like work? I don't want to freeze to death on my way to and from work (think public transport) but I don't think I can wear layers and boots and such inside at work. Do people pack an extra set of clothes and completely change outfits?

Great info--thanks! I am a snow and cold newby, too; we just moved to the Midwest and I'm apprehensive about the coming snow.

What do people do if you are going to a place where you will be indoors all day (so warm), butslightly dressy--like work? I don't want to freeze to death on my way to and from work (think public transport) but I don't think I can wear layers and boots and such inside at work. Do people pack an extra set of clothes and completely change outfits?

Public transport can be pretty overheated IME, so I'd just add a warm, long coat, hat and gloves to whatever you are wearing. Infinity scarves are stylish and warm and you can wrap them over your mouth and nose if the windchill is bad. If there isn't much snow or ice you might not need boots. You might wear warm, stylish boots and keep them on all day, or wear a more rugged pair outside and take your work shoes in your bag depending on your conditions.

• Like 1

I found I had to beware of Lands' End temperature ratings.  I bought for the correct temp. range before moving to Scotland, but later bought again from a range that promised to work at colder temps.  I think that the difference is how damp the air is: there's a big difference between dry, crisp air and damp air.

L

I agree, dampness can make cold feel - FRIGID.  I took my Illinois born and bred hubby to visit my folks in S. California once, and hanging out with friends in Santa Monica one late night/early morning as fog rolled in hubby said he was colder than he'd ever been before, since he was used to dry cold, not moist cold. 

Also, wind chill.  That is the kicker here in n/w Illinois. 

• Like 1

I know it's August, but bear with me.  I'm keeping an eye out for sales and resale shops and need to start early. I talked about this awhile back, but we're moving to the frigid north where things are a bit more extreme and start earlier than I'm used to.  

What are your favorite winter clothes or gear?  Links would be handy.  Think a very long, harsh, deep winter.  We'll probably try to get out in the snow quite a bit so we don't get cabin fever. 

We have some gear, but I'm trying to get my act together before we move. :)

BTW - where are you now and where are you moving?  My dad, who has lived in S. Calif now since childhood (he was born in Kansas), thinks anything below 50 is a calamity.  Are you moving to the Midwest, or upper Canada, or someplace chilly and damp near a coast?   Are you coming from the Deep South or moving from, say, Midwest to above the Arctic Circle?

• Like 2

I change my boots when I get to work, and wear a Lands' End commuter coat.  This works for fairly cold but very windy and damp Scotland.  As the PP mentioned, however, public transport can be hot, so I don't think there is a good solution if you are taking public transport and also walking/standing at bus stops.

• Like 2

BTW - where are you now and where are you moving?  My dad, who has lived in S. Calif now since childhood (he was born in Kansas), thinks anything below 50 is a calamity.  Are you moving to the Midwest, or upper Canada, or someplace chilly and damp near a coast?   Are you coming from the Deep South or moving from, say, Midwest to above the Arctic Circle?

That's a good point - we moved from RI to VT and although the winters here are colder and longer, it doesn't feel all that much colder most of the time because it's not so darn damp all the time. When I was in RI, I felt like only a hot shower could warm me up sufficiently on a cold day, now, just coming inside warms me up almost instantly. The longer part still sucks though and makes me want to move somewhere with an earlier spring. Snow in mid-April gets really old....

• Like 3

When I had to take public transportation to work at the Art Institute of Chicago, I woke my boots and even leggings over my hose.  Most females did this, we changed in the restroom or at our desk (if our office was private).  Men wore galoshes over their expensive shows, or wore boots and changed, too once at work. 

IN summer, we'd be changing into our dressy work shoes from the sneakers we woke to dash to and from the train station or the L.

You'd be surprised at ho warm a decent winter coat AND a warm scarf can be over a nice dress.  Hint - have a can of Static Guard at the office!

• Like 2

wear good boots - carry shoes and change your footwear at work.

breathable long underwear should keep you comfortable indoors, and warm outside.  wool tights work too. dd had a calf length wool angora coat with hood (and good gloves, scarf, and ear warmers) - that was very warm, and very soft and lightweight.  it cut the wind - and depending upon where you are, wind must be considered.

• Like 3

I've always wanted to get myself real Mukluk boots, but I still haven't been able to swallow the price.  I've found Kamik boots to be incredible for warmth and dryness at a completely reasonable price, but their sizes run ridiculously large.

steger mukluks do have sales - and they last for years. they have a wool bootie liner, as well as a wool insole. you can add or subtract according to outside temps.  the most least expensive are the same warmth as the most expensive.  (they have 'fashion' city - muks, that aren't as warm.)  I've also found them on ebay.

Snowsuits for small ones, rather than jackets and pants.  Faster and easier and less bulky.

Old Navy used to have cute, inexpensive, and warm fleece hats with the straps that velcro under the chin, with matching mittens.  The mittens aren't waterproof enough to work for playing in the snow, but they are great for putting on for outings, and the hats work nicely.

LLBean/Lands' End boots have held up very nicely for us, through several children, and the ones with the wide opening velcro are very easy to get on and off.  (See a theme here, LOL -- easy on, easy off with the littles.)

We like the three-in-one jackets for outings and for over snow pants for older children, because they allow for layering.

For me, I have an all wool peacoat from Kohl's which works very nicely.  It's very warm but not bulky, so it's perfect for driving.

The LLBean/Lands' End/Eddie Bauer all weather mocs are fantastic for all but the deepest snow; they are waterproof enough for mud and light snow and hold up well (mine last about two years, and I wear them pretty much straight for eight months out of the year).

We have one of those plastic over the door shoe holders, and each child has a row of pockets.  Everyone has at least one pair of waterproof gloves or mittens, but they also have several spare sets of gloves/mittens/hats/neckwarmers/scarves, so we don't lose them.  I put clothespins on the pockets, so any damp stuff gets hung up, and dry things get tucked into the pockets.  Also, a boot/shoe tray for wet shoes is very helpful.

• Like 2

I'm actually used to wet cold here in IL.  I guess it depends what part you're from? I've lived in south, central, and NW IL. I'm in the midwest now and moving to NY.  Not city. :)  We are still unsure how much Lake Effect we will get depending on where we can find a house.  I actually like the cold, though I do have Raynaud's.  I just have to watch my core temperature.  My kids are all little vikings and love it, too, but my dh hates anything below 70.  :lol:

Every year we get some more wool socks from Sam's Club.  They are unisex and everyone likes them quite a bit.  (Our house is very cold in winter so we wear them almost daily!)

This year, we are going to try Cool-Jams which are wicking pajamas!  We like to pile on the blankets at night, still wear long-sleeve pajamas, and NOT sweat!  LOL  I'm hoping these help.

For the kids, boots with removable liners are essential. It can take days for the insides of boots to dry otherwise.

DS prefers LL Bean boots but in the past has liked Bogs. They run too wide for him now, though, and also they lack a removeable liner so we found having two pairs was really necessary.