Menu

What are you reading?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stolen Innocence finally came in at the library, so that's what I'm working on now. I've also got the new LCC & WWE from the library, but think I'll have to turn them back in before I get finished (I requested the library order these, and someone else already has them on hold. Hrmph.).

I finished up Sundays in America and that was an interesting read. I didn't agree with many of the author's conclusions (some made me downright sad), but it was fascinating to get a peak into such a variety of churches.

I am enjoying both, but I am a painfully slow reader! It could be another couple of months before I'm done. My problem is concentration - I can't read in 10 min. snippets. I must have chunks of time to get into it and build up my speed in that session. But that doesn't happen much around this house!

;-p

Stacey in MA

Just finished Walter de la Mare's The Return. Just started Tana French's The Likeness. Next in line: Fanny Fern's Ruth Hall.

(Dana, Haven Kimmel left a comment on my blog last week.)

NO WAY! You are trying to steal my friend:) I'm going over to look right now, and her comment better be, "How's your really cool friend Dana doing these days?"

The unabridged Les Miserables. If ever an author needed an editor . . .

The funny thing is, he *knows* he's putting in tangents left and right.

". . . the reader will pardon us another little digression; foreign to the object of this book but characteristic and useful . . . "

His rants against monasticism are down-right poetic, but I could have easily skipped the 50+ page blow-by-blow retelling of the Battle of Waterloo, whose only purpose in the book seems to have been showing us that the innkeeper picked pockets of the dead and dying in the aftermath of the battle.

I've started, but not getting very far on Little Women. I also just started Prayer that Works by Jill Briscoe.

John Adams, by David McCullough, and I just received (yay!) Susan's The History of the Ancient World.

I just bought Susan's book, too. It is looming over my desk in all it's glory. I'm not ready to tackle that one yet. If you think of it, let me know how John Adams is. I recently tried 1776 and couldn't get into it, but was interested in reading some of his other works.

I'm currently reading Stephanie Meyers' Breaking Dawn. I read the first three, so it seems silly not to finish the series. I'm divided on them though-there are things about the stories that I love, but I really dislike the main character and much of what the subtext communicates to teen girls.

I just finished Watchmen however-my first graphic novel, very much a departure for me. It was really, really interesting, and if you can take some violent/disturbing content, then I would recommend it-it's pretty thought-provoking for something considered to be "pulp" fiction.

I also just finished Born to Buy which is AWESOME and highly recommended for all parents.

If you think of it, let me know how John Adams is. I recently tried 1776 and couldn't get into it, but was interested in reading some of his other works.

I'm only 100pgs in, but I'm already completely engrossed. I liked 1776 a lot, but I'm finding John Adams to be a much more enjoyable read. :001_smile:

These threads are always dangerous for me. I just know by tomorrow I'll have another long list of must reads :D

I'm currently reading Innocence of Father Brown by GK CHesterton. I tried listening to it on audio d/l but it was literally sending me to sleep. Zzzzzz. After having listened to one of the tales 3 times over and still not remembering even one part of it, I've decided to set aside the headphones and read it the old fashioned way. *lol*

I'm finishing up My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell. It's been a fun read and I've enjoyed it.

And for the RIP III reading challenge I'm reading The Ghost Writer by John Harwood. I'm having a difficult time staying interested in it but I plan to keep trying for a few more days, or pages... or yawns?

Sei Shonagon's The Pillow Book. I've really been working on non-Western literature and being surprised by how easy it is to reach across centuries and cultures, with the help of a good translation. This one is like reading a gossip column, but the gossip of more than a thousand years ago. Some things never change.

Also, struggling through Le Cid, in French, by Corneille. Since they eliminated AP French Lit, I thought I'd do it on our own in a few years, just using the reading lists. Oh man, rhyming couplets...wooofffff.

Danielle

Just finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. It was a decent read but by no means a favorite.

I am listening on audio to an unabridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo -- it is very good but if I am not concentrating on listening I need to back up from time to time. It is ridiculously long - probably 35 or 40 hours worth. My iPod has been a good companion as I have been slashing and hauling weeds and stacking wood these past weeks.

When the cold weather sets in I intend to read some more Wilkie Collins -- I adored The Woman in White.

I have three books left to finish on my 888 list, and these are:

Death Comes for the Archbishop (Willa Cather)

Ideas Have Consequences by Richard Weaver

The Conservative Mind by Russell Kirk

I'm also listening to

As I Lay Dieing by William Faulkner

Mindy - I need to cry on your shoulder! I lost my 888 list when my hard drive failed. It was my only record of what I have been reading since Jan. I can recreate it - sort of - but not completely. I can't remember all that I've read - and I can't remember what's left to read. I don't know if I would have finished all the books this year but I was steadily working on it! :nopity:

Mindy - I need to cry on your shoulder! I lost my 888 list when my hard drive failed. It was my only record of what I have been reading since Jan. I can recreate it - sort of - but not completely. I can't remember all that I've read - and I can't remember what's left to read. I don't know if I would have finished all the books this year but I was steadily working on it! :nopity:

Oh that really stinks!!!! Note to self....back up computer!! By the way, I keep my reading lists on a blog that noone except me has the address to. It wouldn't be interesting for anyone else to look it over, but it is a secure place to keep it so that I can have a record I won't lose. I also keep the kids' lists on there too. Sorry about your list!! That would be so frustrating. But, I'm sure you probably lost many worse things that that too!

One is about the heroes of the Revolution. (It's been temporarily misplaced and I can't remember the exact title:()The author states that over the years the work of the big name heroes has been placed on the back burner in favor of the lesser-known heroes.

Ironically, the other book, which I picked up first, is The Shoemaker and the Tea Party. About a shoemaker and his influence in the Revolution.

Tea Party? ;)

Aggie

Guest Virginia Dawn

I just finished Murder at the Water Gate by Margaret Truman (didn't care for it much) and The Thin Woman by Dorothy Cannell (this was more of the light entertainment I was looking for).

I am now reading Nathaniel Hawthorne's Twice Told Tales to myself, and The Great Turkey Walk to ds.

The last novel I read was Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. Not a literary masterpiece by any means but a good story and a fun, fast read. My cousin and I had a readathon day at her house last month and both finished it (and a box of donuts) in one day. :001_smile:

Right now I'm reading For the Children's Sake. And I'm reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to DH. He won't read fiction on his own. We're 6 chapters in, reading one chapter a night.

I haven't seen one of these threads lately.

I just finished reading Wicked. I liked it. I think I need to read it again for the atheist/soul deeper meaning stuff. :001_huh: But now I have no problems going to see the musical. :D

I'm almost done with Wicked. I can't wait to come here and discuss it when I finish. I have about 50 pages left. I like it well enough, but his style is kind of overwrought for me. I'm not sure that I'd read any of his other books.

The unabridged Les Miserables. If ever an author needed an editor . . .

The funny thing is, he *knows* he's putting in tangents left and right.

". . . the reader will pardon us another little digression; foreign to the object of this book but characteristic and useful . . . "

His rants against monasticism are down-right poetic, but I could have easily skipped the 50+ page blow-by-blow retelling of the Battle of Waterloo, whose only purpose in the book seems to have been showing us that the innkeeper picked pockets of the dead and dying in the aftermath of the battle.

Melinda,

Which translation are you reading? My daughter and I started out with one translation which was analogous to slogging through mud. We switched to the translation by Norman Denny and were amazed at the difference!

Regards,

Kareni

It's a better book than Woman in White

Is Woman in White scary? I've always heard it's such a good book, but I isn't it a ghost story? I don't do well at all with books about ghosts, demons etc. Too much suspense is hard on me too. I love suspense, but I have a hard time separating myself when I read sometimes! ;)