Menu

S/O what do you serve when you have guests?

CAMom

I was reading the entertaining thread with interest.

I do enjoy having people over but it seems like it must involve a meal and I am rather clumsy in the kitchen. ;) I can cook but I make a mess and have a hard time having everything come together at the right time.

If you regularly invite people over, what kind of meals do you serve?

DH Cooks.  I don't.

He serves things like Spaghetti, grilled stuff like burgers or fish, tacos or fajitas (great choice as everyone chooses their own toppings), red beans and sausage.   Basically all the things he cooks for us normally.

We do add extras with company like smoked salmon, cheese and crackers, sausage slices. 

• Like 2

My favourite thing to do when people come over is Indian food.  I make a pretty fantastic Chicken Tikki Masala (if I do say so myself).  If it's just one couple then I make the chicken dish and some rice and get some nan bread from the Indian restaurant.  If I'm having more people I also make a lentil/potato dish and there's a really nice cauliflower curry that i make as well.  I make the lentil dish in the crock pot and I have everything else simmering before people get to the house.  I *really* don't like cooking a lot while guests are over.  The nice thing about curries is that they can simmer away while people arrive.  

• Like 4

We do not do much entertaining but, when we do, it must be simple.  Tiny kitchen, tiny but open house.  Kitchen mess = house mess.

Grilling is preferred. Sides made ahead.

In the winter, I'm all about ignoring "meals" and sticking to finger foods.  There's no need to have everything ready at the same time that way!

• Like 2

All kinds of stuff, depending on the guests.  Usually things that are easy to make in large quantities: Tacos, spaghetti, chili, etc.  We throw a huge July 4th party and always do ribs, brisket, hot dogs and homemade ice cream.  Our family cooks as a hobby though, so we love it.

If it is just one or two people, we just fold them into whatever meal I already had planned.  This happens A LOT at our house. 

• Like 2

After dinner parties: cheese tray, fruit, veggies&dip, baked goods

Big summer party: brats, bread, many different salads

Sit-down-dinners: grilled salmon or London broil or pork chops + several different side dishes + desert

If more fancy, I add a soup course.

In winter, I like foods that are prepared in the oven, because the timing is less critical.

In summer, I like cold meals. We recently had a vegetarian dinner with several different hearty cold salads

• Like 1

Tacos. 

Grilled chicken with black bean/corn salad, corn on the cob, fruit

For my children, what makes it "entertaining" is that I offer a drink other than water.  :)  For me, it's the dessert.  We rarely have either of those, except when we are celebrating something.

• Like 1

Let's see just in the last week...

Two families over for Fritos chili pie. Very simple.

A bunch of teens over for afternoon swim....hot dogs prepared n stove top because I don't do the grill. Chips, cookies, etc

Two different times this week I invited people over making it clear that no food would be involved.

Other things we make for bigger groups.....tacos, burgers,

Smaller groups....roast, meatball stroganoff, chicken pot pie......

• Like 1

We seem to do a lot of "happy hour" type entertaining.  For that I have shrimp, veg tray, cheese/crackers, a hot appetizer, and a hummus or other cold dip.  Along with beer and wine.

For dinner parties, it is either burgers/hotdogs with cold salads and a green salad, or some type of steak on the grill with burnt butter spaghetti, and a green salad.  In the winter I do a lasagna or baked ziti instead of the steak and burnt butter spaghetti.

• Like 1

We do pizza (homemade or takeout) and chili with variety of toppings when we have families over.  It is easiest with kids to have variety and then even a kid who only wants the corn chips or a bowl of cheese can find something to eat.  I am not a very confident host so I do better with things that can all be pretty much prepped and cooked ahead of time so I am not cooking with a house full of people.  I get easily distracted and can forget to take the food out, etc.  LOL.  

I do like having people over, though, so I keep it simple.  Pizza and chili are our most common but I would also do soup, sandwiches (pulled pork or spicy beef that can keep in crock pot).  Taco bar also works.  I can offer both beef and shredded chicken and usually soft tortillas, corn tostadas, and chips and variety of toppings, including beans pretty easily. All prepped ahead of time, easy to self serve, and easy for guests to tweak to their tastes.  I also love appetizers and finger foods which again are easy to prep ahead of time.  I am challenged when it comes to cooking veggies for a large group so we usually go with a veggie tray and dip for that.  

Always dessert.  I keep ingredients on hand to either whip up a chocolate cake or banana cake with caramel frosing on short notice.  I like making cookies, too, but it just takes longer to scoop and bake cookies than it does to do a cake.

• Like 1

Big pot of chili in the crock pot, so the time it gets ready doesn't matter.

I do a salad bar as a side, with things that people might use on a taco salad:

corn chips

lettuce

tomatoes

shredded cheese

diced onions

sliced avocados (cut up last minute)

store-bought salsa

store-bought guacamole

refrigerated black bean and corn salad/relish (I make this myself the day before.  It's good for vegetarian guest.)

salad dressing

Some people have a bowl of chili with toppings from above.  Some have a taco salad with a little chili on it.  Some people just have a salad.  It I have vegetarians that eat hearty, I might also have another more substantial vegetarian dish or make a separate crock of chili with no meat.

• Like 1

On the rare occasion we have people over for a meal it is either take out or something on the grill with easy side dishes that I make ahead if time. Long gone are my days of elaborate dinner parties with friends. Sometimes I miss it but I just don't have the energy for it anymore.

• Like 1

Chinese food or pizza. The people we tend to entertain have lots of food preferences, allergies etc. So we almost always go with a takeout option so everyone can be satisfied. (And because while I'm great in the kitchen cooking for my own family, the idea of feeding a larger group of people, especially a group with lots of food preferences, is overwhelming to me!) 

Outside of this, the only other entertaining we do is on holidays, when the meal is standard fare (turkey/mashed potatoes/veg for Thanksgiving, ham/mashed potatoes/veg for Easter, etc.).

• Like 1

I make my version of plov which is similar to pilaf and a couple of Central Asian salads.  It's different but not overwhelmingly so for most guests and I can have everything cooking or prepared at least 30 minutes before the guests arrive which means I have plenty of time to clean up, set the table, and change.  It also doesn't create much mess. And I always have the ingredients around for it, even the salads, so I can make it with very short notice. And I can make it in any kitchen I've ever had, and I've had some interesting kitchens. I almost never make anything else for guests and most people say they love it.

• Like 1

I was reading the entertaining thread with interest.

I do enjoy having people over but it seems like it must involve a meal and I am rather clumsy in the kitchen. ;) I can cook but I make a mess and have a hard time having everything come together at the right time.

If you regularly invite people over, what kind of meals do you serve?

It depends.

If I am inviting friends over for dinner, which means they are the guests and we're going to sit at the dining room table with the linen tablecloth and napkins and best china and silverplate, I usually have soup (cream of tomato, or cream of broccoli, because I can prepare it the day before and warm it up before serving, and if it's a vegetable-based soup, I don't have to have an additional veggie with the main course. Also I get to use more pieces of my china, 'cuz it will be served in the soup plates. :D ). (Gazpacho is a good choice, as well, because it can be prepared ahead of time and is served cold.) There's some sort of starch, usually potatoes, and the protein. I can also make dessert the day before, so on the day of the dinner, I only actually have to prepare the main course--meat of some kind and potatoes of some kind. I serve water to everyone. Preparing food ahead of time helps me keep the kitchen clean on the Big Day. My kitchen is fairly open, and I just hate my guests having to experience a sink full of dirty dishes, crud all over the counters, splattered gravy and sauces on the cooktop. Also, guests are guests; they don't bring anything, because they are *guests.*

If I'm having over for a potluck (which could include cooking something on the grill), then I prepare my contributions ahead of time (potato salad or macaroni salad is great); I have plates and cups and utensils and napkins all set out, and beverages, and people bring...whatever they want to bring. I can still clean my kitchen ahead of time, so the only mess is what people bring, and when they leave, most of the mess goes with them. :-)

• Like 1

I make my version of plov which is similar to pilaf and a couple of Central Asian salads.  It's different but not overwhelmingly so for most guests and I can have everything cooking or prepared at least 30 minutes before the guests arrive which means I have plenty of time to clean up, set the table, and change.  It also doesn't create much mess. And I always have the ingredients around for it, even the salads, so I can make it with very short notice. And I can make it in any kitchen I've ever had, and I've had some interesting kitchens. I almost never make anything else for guests and most people say they love it.

My favourite thing to do when people come over is Indian food.  I make a pretty fantastic Chicken Tikki Masala (if I do say so myself).  If it's just one couple then I make the chicken dish and some rice and get some nan bread from the Indian restaurant.  If I'm having more people I also make a lentil/potato dish and there's a really nice cauliflower curry that i make as well.  I make the lentil dish in the crock pot and I have everything else simmering before people get to the house.  I *really* don't like cooking a lot while guests are over.  The nice thing about curries is that they can simmer away while people arrive.  

Recipes, please?!?  :bigear:

Unless it is a holiday, we almost always grill.  I try to prepare as many sides as possible in advance.  I also tend toward simple desserts.   

One thing that helps me is to have some type of appetizer and beverages ready to be served to guests as soon as they arrive.  After the guests have drinks and apps, then I can finish the last- minute preps and take everything out to the grill.  The husband is more entertaining than I am anyway!

I don't entertain regularly, and when I do it is usually family.  If it's one or a few who eat the same as us I include them in the typical meal planned.  If it's more and/or include some who have some dietary restrictions I plan something easy that covers all of the bases.  For big deals like Thanksgiving we do potluck. 

Usually it's us going over to family's house, and we contribute whatever they let us or what we think they might run short of.  If I am on temporary dietary restrictions I'll bring my own food and explain.

I don't do fancy at all.  Never could pull it off, and don't feel comfortable with it anyway.  My favorite go-to's for feeding a bunch are one pot meals like pot roast or soup.

Recipes, please?!?  :bigear:

Amira's plov:

2-2.5 cups white rice (I prefer parboiled (not minute) rice, but I don't use basmati because it's wimpy)
2 T-1/2 cup oil (I use vegetable oil- about 3 T)
1-2 large onions
2-3 fat carrots
1 head of garlic
1-2 tomatoes or 1 T tomato paste
Salt to taste (at least 2 teaspoons)
Spices (I use cayenne, turmeric, cumin seed, black onion seed, and ground coriander, but you can use any or none of those, or just the cumin- there's huge variety in spicing plov)

Wash the rice and let it sit in the strainer while you're getting everything else ready.  I rinse it and loosen the rice a few times as I'm going along.  Chop the onion and being to fry it in the oil in a heavy pot or pan.  Peel and julienne the carrots or just chop them and add them to the onions. Separate the garlic into cloves but don't peel them and toss them in with the vegetables.  Chop the tomatoes and toss them in, or add the tomato paste.  Saute all that till it's getting brown and delicious.

Dump in the rice and the spices and salt and stir it around, then add enough water to just barely the rice.  Bring to a boil and boil for a few minutes till the level of the water is below the rice.  Reduce the heat all the way, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes.  Let it sit for 10 minutes before removing the lid.  Take the garlic out and let people squeeze the cloves onto their plov.  I serve it from the pan if it looks decent or transfer it to a platter.  

Central Asian chopped salad:

Chop up a few tomatoes and peeled and seeded cucumbers, then add about 1/2 of a thinly sliced onion and some cayenne and salt to taste.  Let it sit for at least 30 minutes.  Don't add any vinegar or citrus or oil or anything else.

Soviet carrot salad:

Julienne or spiralize 4-6 carrots.  Add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar, cayenne to taste, 2-3 minced cloves of garlic, salt to taste, and around 3/4 tsp of ground coriander. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes.

Meals for guests change with the seasons. Winter would be either a baked casserle( chicken divan, chicken tetrazzini, baked ziti, etc) or roasted meat and some kind of starch. I try to plan meals that can be prepped ahead and pulled out of the oven or fridge at serving time. No last minute sauce or gravy kind of meal.

Summertime I have often made a grilled chicken salad. They are plated individually. I prep the hard boiled eggs, bacon, dressing etc ahead of time. Chicken breasts are grilled by DH as I get the plates assembled, while chatting with my guests . Chicken is ready and set on each plate and away we go!

Homemade bread is pretty standard for that salad meal or a baked pasta meal.

I make that the day before.

It really depends on the occasion and people. Full out holiday spread, party nibbles, baked potato/taco bar, pulled pork and sides, burgers and hot dogs are most frequent. Lately if friends are coming over last minute to swim, we've been ordering pizza or Indian so we can enjoy swimming too.

My go to meals for company are:

Steak au poivre vert with pilaf and a green salad or a green bean salad

or

Leg of lamb with roasted potatoes, lamb gravy, and asparagus

For a barbeque:

Bratwurst with all the trimmings, tomato salad

For dessert I have a few pies I like, French silk pie or angel pie or apricot amaretto pie.  I've just started to experiment with homemade ice cream, and that is going well.  :)

Beforehand I often serve chips and/or crackers and/or crudite with clam dip and Persian yogurt dip.

My favourite thing to do when people come over is Indian food. I make a pretty fantastic Chicken Tikki Masala (if I do say so myself). If it's just one couple then I make the chicken dish and some rice and get some nan bread from the Indian restaurant. If I'm having more people I also make a lentil/potato dish and there's a really nice cauliflower curry that i make as well. I make the lentil dish in the crock pot and I have everything else simmering before people get to the house. I *really* don't like cooking a lot while guests are over. The nice thing about curries is that they can simmer away while people arrive.

Can you share recipes or cookbooks you use?