Menu

How on earth do you tame frizzy hair?!

snickerplum

The right gel over the right type and amount of conditioner.  And sulfate-free shampoo/no silicones.  Water pressed out with a t-shirt and air-dried; I don't scrunch anymore or it gets curlier than I prefer.  See, e.g., Curly Girl ("frizz is a curl waiting to happen")

In humid weather, I prefer this gel.  It takes some experimenting :)

• Like 1

We've made the move South and my hair is angry.

:lol:  I'm sorry but this made me lol.

I sympathize. When my hair gets a little bit long (which is still short by most standards), I get Einstein-style hair. (Einstein's cool, right?)

No advice, really. I usually wear my hair pretty short & thinned which keeps it under control (mostly).

• Like 1

Only use shampoo once per week.

Work conditioner into it during every shower beginning with the ends and then working the ends into the top.

Leave the conditioner in.

If it's really bad before the conditioner has built up over a few days use hand-cream.

This method works very well for me and I use Suave coconut conditioner as the wash and leave-in product too.  But I live in the PNW, not the humid south, so not sure if my experience would apply.  Where I used to have frizz all the time, I can now have individual, defined curls if I follow the principles (admittedly I don't always follow the principles, so then I have frizz again).

• Like 1

I have a love/hate relationship with the curly girl method.  I still think my hair is frizzy.  I dislike slapping too much gel on it.  Mine is moderately curly, thick and long.  It is unruly.  I washed it today and then let it dry naturally with no products.  It isn't terrible.  I like some big hair, though.  :D  What I will likely do is what I've done recently, which is to flat iron it and then put some waves in it with a curling iron when I want to go somewhere in which I need well-behaved hair.

I think curly hair is like a toddler.  About the time you find what works, it changes its mind, and what you were doing becomes ineffective.  Also, give your hair a chance to get used to the weather and the change in water quality (soft, hard, etc). It may settle down.  I only wash about twice a week - sometimes using a sulphate free shampoo and sometimes just the silicone free Tresseme Naturals conditioner.  I don't like the way it feels when I've used gel.  Not soft.

So I've kind of decided that if it is going to do whatever it wants anyway, I might as well make it easy on myself and choose a style that will keep for several days.  If I air dry with no product and then straighten and wave it with a large barrel curling iron, that style will last 4-5 days with not much else done to it other than (maybe) brushing.  Some days I don't even brush. I just go.  At least it is easy.

I usually just wore my hair up, it's the South and it's hot.  I've also used Glass and that can help, so can a light coat of brushable hairspray or dry shampoo (gives it some weight) but not both at the same time.  None of these are friendly to the heat though, mix them with sweat and it gets itchy.  

ETA: for light weight curls I always used mousse, gel is to wet/heavy for me.

My hair is the kind of curly flat irons run from. I " wash" with Garnier conditioner ( never, never shampoo), leave some in and then add more leave in conditioner. I finger comb and Leave It Alone! Brushing and combing add frizz. For uncomfortably hot days I wear a bun or French braid or a combo of the two.

THIS product is a game changer. I think it works better than the diva gels. It has no hold, but really helps with frizz. I can't even feel it once it's on, but it makes a huge difference. It also lasts a LONG time. A friend gave me a 2.5 ounce bottle and I've used it daily for months. It's Ouidad Climate Control Heat and Humidity gel and it changed my life.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3780011

When straightening I use a leave in conditioner/heat protectant, dry & straighten and then apply Moroccan oil. All of this (plus shampoo and conditioner) is from the Suave Infusion line. I am in love.

But sometimes if I know its going to be extra rainy or humid I just put mousse and hairspray in and call it a day. (Also Suave brand ;) )

Don't wash with shampoo more than 2-3 times a week.  Rinse/wash with conditioner if you need a refresher.  Coconut oil, small amount, right after a shower.  

Also, thin it if it is thick.  All that to say, when the humidity gets up to a bajillion %, there really isn't much hope..lol.  Those are hat/ponytail days.

I gave up. I keep it very very short. I have debated shaving it off.

I was going to suggest shaving. Mine is super curly and I pretty much hate it. I bought a hat for the summer. 

I had it long for a long time and the curls did okay. It's short now and more of a pain. 

I've been watching The Vikings on Amazon and admiring the shaved heads and wondering if I could get by with shaving part of mine. 

• Like 1