Menu

In what sports (girls ) is a long torso an advantage?

poppy

I know ballet favors short torsos and long legs, and a long torso is a disadvantage in gymnastics. Is there a sport where a long torso and average length legs is preferable?

Not an 'I need advice' question, just a 'I'm curious' question.

Here is one article about how body build impacts sports http://www.theguardian.com/science/2004/aug/05/1

Sounds like short limbs are good for weight lifting.

That is a good one. I found this one the other and was showing my son. I like the contrast of the top athletes standing next to each other. It really drives home the point. http://www.slrlounge.com/body-shape-comparison-worlds-top-athletes/

His body type does not match his sport at all and has lead to some interesting discussions. 

• Like 3

Swimming. Power comes from your core. If you look at Michael Phelps' measurements, you can see he has a long torso and shorter legs.

but if you go into swimming as a female with a long torso, know you'll be in 2 piece suits or paying big $ for custom made. My dd was unable to buy a 1 piece since she hit puberty, not even in any of the specialty shops.

Ideal body build probably makes the most difference at the tippy top elite levels of a sport. At the level most of our kids will engage at, dedication, passion, grit, and discipline are more important factors. At the tippy top levels everyone has those, plus years of training, so the extra edge of natural body build matters more.

• Like 6

I would think that in general for most sports total height is more important than torso length vs leg length . There would be some exceptions, such as in synchronized swimming, for elite groups, leg length is a huge factor - team members would need to have very similar leg length. 

Short legs and a long torso provides a lower center of gravity. This actually has both advantages and disadvantages for gymnastics depending on the apparatus. However, it is a consistent advantage in Acrobatic Gymnastics.

• Like 1

but if you go into swimming as a female with a long torso, know you'll be in 2 piece suits or paying big $ for custom made.

Speedo and Arena one piece were okay. TYR might work too. I have the same torso length as my hubby, short legs, long arms. Butterfly style for swimming was surprisingly easy.

but if you go into swimming as a female with a long torso, know you'll be in 2 piece suits or paying big $ for custom made. My dd was unable to buy a 1 piece since she hit puberty, not even in any of the specialty shops.

My long bodied girl hasn't had any problems. The competition knee suits even come in long versions for the long, thin types. She does have to be particular about brand and cut, but she has always been able to find a suit that fits.

• Like 1

My long bodied girl hasn't had any problems. The competition knee suits even come in long versions for the long, thin types. She does have to be particular about brand and cut, but she has always been able to find a suit that fits.

Yeah, I know my dd is absurdly long in torso. None of the long versions of anything are long enough for her. She tried all the online swim shops etc & just ended up sticking with the sport 2 piece ones.

I can't remember her measurement exactly but she checked all the charts for the major brands &  when she got the right torso length, it would be several sizes too large. She's really slender & really long LOL

That said, she rocks the 2 piece suits :)

• 6 years later...

Contemporary/modern dance or bellydance- there is something about movements from the torso that brings more feeling and emotion to a dancer. There are many beautiful movements initiated from / going through the torso that are beaitiful, emotionally evocative and sensual!

40 minutes ago, Rockin gal said:

Contemporary/modern dance or bellydance- there is something about movements from the torso that brings more feeling and emotion to a dancer. There are many beautiful movements initiated from / going through the torso that are beaitiful, emotionally evocative and sensual!

This is a bazaar first post on a homeschooling board. 

• Haha 1