Menu

Red hands from over-washing (OCD Related)

Slipper

My youngest has anxiety issues. We currently have sick kittens (about to make another thread for that) and she's worried that she will catch something or give it to our other cats. (She's not looking after the kittens - she's just worried). She has washed her hands repeatedly and now has a red rash on the backs of them. What is the best thing to put on them to help? (We have a psychiatrist and this will be addressed at our next visit, but for now, I just want to help soothe the rough skin). Thanks :) 

Aquaphor sounds good to me. I'd also be tempted to try a diaper rash cream, something that will help heal and protect. And maybe some disposable gloves so she doesn't feel compelled to wash quite as frequently.

Thanks. I'll pick up some aquaphor at the store when I go today. She does have gloves and has been using them. She still feels compelled to wash. Yes, I'm sure it's antibacterial - she's using the dish soap in the kitchen and I usually get extra-strength. I've told her to start using dove soap to wash her hands for the time being. 

Oldest DS went though an obsessive hand washing phase when he was younger.  Switching to Cetaphil and having him use cool to lukewarm (not hot) water took care of the red, irritated hands problem.  Thankfully his obsession with that only lasted a few months.  And I agree that Aquaphor is a great moisturizer.

The Honest Co.'s healing balm is fantastic. I've gotten it in the baby section at Target or at Costco (much cheaper there). A tube lasts forever. Put it or Aquaphor on while hands are damp. Don't dry them. Just shake and let them air dry.

Definitely get rid of the antibacterial soap or anything with a preservative called methylisothiazolinone (MI) in it.

:grouphug: for your DD and kittens and you too, mama.

• Like 2

Especially in dry times or climes, it can also be a good habit to instill to wash, dry, and then lotion. Keeping a squirt thing of lotion by the sink can help. Just another suggestion. I agree with ditching the harsh anti-bacterial stuff, which is usually unnecessary with a good wash anyway.

I hope you're able to help her. I have an anxious kid (though without the OCD tendencies). It waxes and wanes, but it's tough.

• Like 1

I have an employee at my sandwich shop that is doing this and it is driving me crazy to watch him. It is so dry out and he is stripping his hands and arms of natural oils. I feel for you, because it is hard enough to watch someone I barely know do this, but if it was my kid I would be even more upset. I can't fire the poor guy cause he's creeping me out and causing me to worry about him, lol. I was thinking of posting about this myself, but I can't imagine there is a good answer.

Covertly, I used to slather A&D ointment on my son's chapped hands while he was sleeping!  This was the only way to get lotion on his hands as he couldn't stand the feel of lotion and then would forever wash again to get rid of the lotion.  It doesn't addressthe OCD issue but rather just treats the sympton of raw hands.

Gloves. I'd give her lightweight gloves to wear when she's near the kittens. I'd want to break the handwashing cycle asap because it's so hard for OCD to moderate and hand washing isn't something you can go cold turkey on. If you put the aquaphor on her hands under the gloves they'll heal faster too. I've found lansinoh is good for cracked skin- it's not just for breasts!

• Like 1

Make sure she is completely drying off every bit of her hands and wrists after every wash. She needs to understand that evaporation, even with a little moisture, will make the issue much worse.

Moisturizing will help. It is hard to wash off, though. I don't know if that adds to the washing or not for her. Definitely moisturize heavily at night before bed. Make sure whatever you're using doesn't have irritating ingredients.

Do use a gentle, non-antibacterial soap.

If she's using gloves, make sure they are cotton (parade gloves or similar). Anything with a liner will make hands sweat, with the evaporation causing worse issues.

I'm sorry she's suffering. I know you didn't ask for OCD advice, but the OCD foundation (online) has a list of providers that specialize in OCD. It's important to get one of those, as OCD is treated differently than other anxiety disorders. My son has benefited from some supplements, pm me if you would like my information on that. I'm sorry. I hope none of that offended. I really hate OCD!

My son really likes 'Glove in a Bottle'. It absorbs quickly and doesn't leave a sticky feel.  

He had a winter of taking to heart the idea of singing the Alphabet Song twice while he washed his hands. Consequently, he had his hands rubbed until they were raw and chapped.  Of all the tings we tried, this is the one he most preferred.

Gloves. I'd give her lightweight gloves to wear when she's near the kittens. I'd want to break the handwashing cycle asap because it's so hard for OCD to moderate and hand washing isn't something you can go cold turkey on. If you put the aquaphor on her hands under the gloves they'll heal faster too. I've found lansinoh is good for cracked skin- it's not just for breasts!

I wear gloves almost year round to prevent over drying from washing. Much is our climate, but our family also has eczema. It works great. The other thing I teach my kids is to wash their palms and fingertips, but avoid lathering the backs of their hands unless they absolutrly have to, like to remove paint. That cuts down on the worst of the cracking while still getting them clean.

Aquaphor did little for my over-washer's cracked and bleeding hands and the greasy feeling had him wanting to wash MORE. We had better results from O'Keeffe's Working Hands Cream.

This is the only thing that has worked for Rebecca.  It wasn't so much over-washing for her, but she would get dry, cracked, bleeding, rough, and red every winter, and only a little less so in the summer.  We tried everything under the sun.  She puts on Working Hands every single night and puts cotton gloves on, and her hands are completely normal.  As previously noted, this lotion can sting, so maybe try to get them healed enough with Aquaphor or something, but we literally did try everything.

DS gets extremely chapped hands in the winter to the point of bleeding, and pure Shea butter is the best thing we've found for him. It works very quickly and a small container lasts a long time because you don't have to use much. You probably already are, but I'd skip all antibacterial soaps and anything scented or with extra ingredients.

Good luck. Obsessive behaviors are hard to watch. (( ))