Menu

What motivates you to continue homeschooling?

I was originally motivated to homeschool for academic reasons, but I continue to homeschool so that the children will learn to think logically and in a way that isn't determined by the pressures of society. What about you?

I began homeschooling a step-daughter for a myriad of mis-placed reasons. That lasted and year and wasn't pretty or fun. But it introduced me to homeschoolers and the idea.

I started to homeschool ds because he was very actice and I couldn't stand the thought of his little spirit being crushed in school. Another reason I started was because ds tended to be a follower and I was worried about the friends he would make; we live in a pretty bad school district(well, not inner city bad, but bad for NM).

I continue to homeschool because ds has time to just "be" everyday. He's not crushed by too many obligtions or responsibilities. I can also control what he's exposed to and in our area that's a great plus. I also contiue to homeschool because I'm really enjoying primary education the second time around.:D

On the days when I am so sick of ds that I just want to send him to ps I continue to homeschool because I know the problems will just be compounded by ps. IOW, the problems will still be there but he'll be more tired and stretched too thin to learn to behave properly.

I believe it is what God has called me to do:

Deuteronomy 6:5-7

And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

Having a firm conviction that I am doing what I believe God wants me to do gets me through those rough days. I really do love it, too, though, so I've only had a few times along the way when I had to remind myself that I'm doing this in obedience to God. I am blessed to have a very supportive husband, church and many, many families in my circle who homeschool for the same reasons. Those blessings keep me going when I hit rough spots or get discouraged.

I was originally motivated to homeschool for academic reasons, but I continue to homeschool so that the children will learn to think logically and in a way that isn't determined by the pressures of society. What about you?

I admit my initial motivation for homeschooling was to get the local school administrators out of my life. Those people and their "policies" were driving me nuts -- probably because The Kid was driving *them* nuts!

Now? My motivation is my son. He is so . . . so . . . well, he's just plain relaxed and happy. We both are. :)

this is close to where I am.

i homeschool cuz I can't STAND the social carp in the institutionalized schools --public OR private. Academics is secondary, and time to focus on faith is a great benefit :D

I homeschool b/c I love teaching.

I also enjoy exposing my kids to a full myraid of ideas and perspectives. I am 100% anti-political correctness.

I decided not the teach in public schools during my student teaching semester. The bureaucracy within the school system disgusted me.

When I know that I am a better teacher than they could have elsewhere, I teach. When I question that ability, I outsource. Best of both worlds.

Like Kathleen in VA, I believe God called me to it. I'm not one who typically "hears" what God is saying to me, so to know He was leading me to homeschool was HUGE.

Thankfully, He doesn't call the equipped, but He equips the called! There were many times in the first 5 yrs. especially that I *desperately* wanted to quit. I always felt like I would be letting Him down and I just couldn't do that! I felt that I would be denying His power in my life.

He is creating a wonderful work in me through homeschooling, although I fail every day at being who He wants me to be. If this whole endeavor had been MY idea, I would have given up long ago! It's too hard!

Respectfully,

Chelle

Because I absolutely adore my children and could not think of *anything* I would rather do. It is a delight and a challenge, but truly my heart's delight to homeschool them. :001_smile:

At first it was to get my dd off the conveyor belt and re-invest the money we were spending to send her to an out of county public school into homeschooling.

Now? I homeschool for almost selfish reasons, I don't want to waste any time with my children. I want to be their mother, every day, every hour. I want to figure things out with them and hold them when they want to cry and laugh when they want to laugh.

Even if we mess up academically, I couldn't put a price tag on the time I'm spending with them. I keep a veteran's words close to my heart, she said, "My grown children don't thank me for making them do math everyday, they thank me for being there for them, teaching them right from wrong. They thank me for the time spent together, for teaching them how to be a good person- someone who knows and shares God."

I enjoy homeschooling because I get to re-educate myself, have a second chance and through that second chance, I get to make a difference in the best way—through my children.

I don't know what lies ahead or how all of this will work out but I will do my best to not regret any minute of the journey.

At first it was to get my dd off the conveyor belt and re-invest the money we were spending to send her to an out of county public school into homeschooling.

Now? I homeschool for almost selfish reasons, I don't want to waste any time with my children. I want to be their mother, every day, every hour. I want to figure things out with them and hold them when they want to cry and laugh when they want to laugh.

Even if we mess up academically, I couldn't put a price tag on the time I'm spending with them. I keep a veteran's words close to my heart, she said, "My grown children don't thank me for making them do math everyday, they thank me for being there for them, teaching them right from wrong. They thank me for the time spent together, for teaching them how to be a good person- someone who knows and shares God."

I enjoy homeschooling because I get to re-educate myself, have a second chance and through that second chance, I get to make a difference in the best way—through my children.

I don't know what lies ahead or how all of this will work out but I will do my best to not regret any minute of the journey.

Jessica, you said it much better than I did!

Well...I've been doing this for 13 years, and I will continue to do it for another 13 years (or thereabouts!) because I've seen the results in my own children!!!!!

My 17 year old is awesome (if I do say so myself!). She's intelligent and well-grounded. She has a sense of self that I NEVER had at that age.

So I have no desire whatsoever to put any of my children in school.

I say this tongue in cheek, but I continue to home school because my husband says I have to.....:lol:

It was his idea at the time. He said he had been praying about it and really felt that was what we were being led to do. Now mind you, I knew nothing about this. I had no idea he was even considering such a thing.

When he told me, as I was shoving the registration forms into his hands for the private school they were attending, I sat down looked at him and just said Okay. Very long and drawn out though......:D

He is explaining why he says we will be home schooling and I am sitting there thinking..."Um..Lord? Where was I when the two of you were having that conversation....? Lord? You laid this on his heart not mine."

Mind you I had just spent the last five minutes zoning out on him having this conversation in my head and totally missed everything he had just said.

Academically they were doing well. It was the socializing, cliquey, bad situations he was seeing that made him not want them to be there anymore. They were coming home and we were having to correct all the "socializing" they were getting at school.

I wouldn't trade any of the time I have had with them. They said the same thing. They think we are closer as a family and like being able to explore some thing that catches their interest when we are doing work. We will take the time and let them have at it.

I didn't want to home school this year. I didn't think I could handle home schooling and the counseling I was in at the same time. All that emotional sludge that I am dealing with makes for an emotionally charged momma. He said no problem. What did I want him to teach.

He took over some of their subjects and they get extra time with him when he gets home from work.

Sorry that got a little long....just like the salads I make....they don't fit the plates......:lol:

I started under a bit of duress; my ds was having a horrible time in school and I could not imagine changing schools *again*-we had just changed the year before. After 2 weeks at home with him the cause of his problems was crystal clear and he was a changed child, and I was hooked.

Now we just do it because it's great. I love not having to deal with the schools, and I love that my boys are socially growing up at home. It's been so good for them.

. . . because, as flawed as it is, we believe it's better for our son than any of the alternatives.

You know that phrase: The perfect is the enemy of the good? Well, that's kind of how I've learned to feel about homeschooling. Teaching this particular child at home is NEVER going to be perfect. But, it's better than sending him to institutional school.

So, it doesn't exactly inspire enthusiasm, but what motivates me to keep going is imagining just how badly things would go if we did anything else.

They're kind, articulate children. My older one is becoming a wondeful young man. I can't imagine introducing any change that way.

Also being a part-time professor constantly motivates me because I see the result of local schools -- both public and private. I can do as well if not better in a better environment, hands-down.

Because my DD9 (who was nearly failing reading due to a visual processing disorder that even her pricey private school failed to recognize!) just read two chapters of Charlotte's Web to me fluently and without help! :D Because the time I spent one on one with her during our first hsing year allowed us to recognize and get treatment for her disorder. Because she will now be able to let her intelligence shine! Because she is now confident, calm and enjoying reading.

Because my gifted DS7 is able to work above grade level without having to worry about his immaturity and general "bouncy-ness" holding him back in a regular classroom. Because DSs5 are begging me to teach them to read. Because my children are loving to learn. Because of the family unity and togetherness we've gained. Because of the money we've saved.

Because I love my children and would do anything for them, even on my worst home schooling day.

Because I don't have a choice!

Seriously, there is no private school that would accept ds2 that we could drive to and still get ds1 to his school on time. The ps wanted to put him in the same pullout classroom as severely autistic kids even though his language is close to normal, so that's also a no-go. This is always my first response when someone asks me why we homeschool. I usually get shocked looks, but I think it's important that people realize how poorly our ps serves special needs kids in general, and autistic kids in particular.

But, all that aside, I really enjoy hsing ds2 and dd. They get to do so many interesting things I would have liked to do at that age. We enjoy each other's company and they are truly best buddies.

I still worry about them getting enough time in group settings, ds so that he can master his social skills (sitting still, not speaking out of turn, raising your hand...), dd so that she can develop friendships with kids her age. This year's line-up of outside classes is our best yet, so I'm gradually letting go of this bit of mommy guilt.

I'm with you! The idea of making Huck sit in a classroom and watch other kids learn things he mastered at 4 would be heart wrenching. Some days he makes me want to scream (and ocassionally I do) and throw in the towel. Some days I can't wait to say, "That's it! No more today!" I stick with it because I love being around my children. I love watching them learn and learning with them. I love being responsible for the ideas that go into their heads and watching what they do with them. I love that my 8yo knows latin! I love that we watched National Treasure last night and he knew Ben Franklin's glasses by sight before the character said whose they were. I love that my 5yo throws a sheet over one shoulder and claims to be a Roman or sits for hours looking at animal encyclopedias. For these reasons, and so many more, I continue to plug along even when I don't have the stamina for one more day. I love the surprises!

Schools are geared to extroverted auditory learners. I have 2 kids who don't fit the mold and would have to be diagnosed with learning disabilities in order to survive. One thing I know from working with them every day: They are NOT learning disabled. But they do learn differently, and I don't want them to be penalized and marginalized for that.

And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

Having a firm conviction that I am doing what I believe God wants me to do gets me through those rough days. I really do love it, too, though, so I've only had a few times along the way when I had to remind myself that I'm doing this in obedience to God. I am blessed to have a very supportive husband, church and many, many families in my circle who homeschool for the same reasons. Those blessings keep me going when I hit rough spots or get discouraged.

Kathleen,

Thanks for this post! We are just beginning our journey with our girls, but David and I feel the same way. Not that we think it has to be for everyone, but for us, we believe God wants us to do this. Thanks for the encouragement.

Encounters like today... having to call the police on a couple of trespassers, all of 13 years old....

Man, i keep hoping to NOT have an encounter with my DD's peers that doesn't leave me thinking - "lock her in her room". Ye gads.... even the cop said - hey, that is why mine goes to private school! LOL!!

At least at the end of it (they got a warning), the one that was the smarter of the 2 shock our hands and said it was nice to meet us. :lol: (after he got his foot measured for a potential match to some break-ins this week in the 'hood).

But dang, it just shocks me......

I started for the freedom and time to focus on what mattered (not learning to stand in line and be quiet). I've stuck with it for much the same, but also to save them the wasted time that cliques, and the fit-in/failure is cool attitude that so clouds what is really important. Having the coolest friends and clothes won't feed them in this ever shrinking world economy. I want them not only to survive but thrive!

1. The prospect of being a stranger to my children, and them strangers to me.

2. That they might not master a skill and be left behind when they are totally capable, but they spend the rest of their lives thinking they can't. I have been surprised what I thought I couldn't do, but in fact I can. Somehow I was just lost in the crowd at school.

Heather

I couldn't have said it better so I am quoting Kathleen. For our family, we couldn't afford Christian schools and our God isn't welcome in other schools let alone glorified as we believe we are called to do. No other option for us. It is the hardest job in the world but I do love it.

We homeschool because we have special needs children. I was having to argue and argue for services, including the services included on the IEPs. I was tired of arguing, of the disrespectful way the school was dealing with me, and the terrible, terrible fear that my children were going to fail not only in academics but also in their sense of self. The year that one of my daughters became the target of a group of bullies -- they were locking her out of the gym doors, shoving her face into the water fountain whenever she tried to take a drink, throwing monthly supplies at her in the bathroom -- I was so stressed trying to get the school personnel to help. It was while I was talking to a family therapist that I first heard someone bring up homeschooling. Me homeschool? Yep, and here we are, working hard, and pushing our limits with ourselves and each other every day. I can't cure them, but if a curriculum isn't working, I can just CHANGE IT, without begging and pleading with rigid school staff. I love my kids so much that it hurts sometimes. I just couldn't leave them there. Sandy

The extreme flexibility, on so many levels, is what continues to motivate me.

A genuinely tailored educational experience, rather than a one-size-fits-all or -most approach.

A schedule that allows us to enjoy and partake in cultural activities and festivities in our community.

The time and space to devote real time to off-the-wall interests (cooking, photography, etc.)

The ability to travel, both for field trips and for extended family visits.

And I'd be lying if I didn't throw in there, that I completely appreciate the flexibility in sleep schedules! We're night owls, and trying to go to bed at 8pm for a 7am wake-up to go to outside school nearly killed us. Now we are not limited by an arbitrary set schedule, we set our own that better respects and reflects our personal needs :)

I, too, was tired of the mentality that you deposit your child at Kindergarten and pick them up at graduation and don't say a word in the years in between! I hated that my son sat in an institution 7 hours a day with no one there who really cared about him. At the end of his 8th grade year, I'd had enough and had the time to invest in homeschooling him.

With my daughter, I never wanted her in the ps system. She has a tender and sweet heart and I didn't want that beaten out of her in the environment. Also, she's accelerated and I wanted her to move at her pace and not either be pressured by a "gifted" program or bored by having to wait for others to catch up.

A clearly defined vision of the desired goal. The kind of life we want available to them, should they elect to pursue it, will not be an option if they are schooled in the contemporary manner.

On a more personal level, we feel obliged to fulfill our duty to form them into saints. That's much more readily done when you're intimately involved with their formation than when you've subcontracted it out to those who have a radically opposed vision of man and his place and purpose in the universe.

My reasons for continuing have evolved during my 12 years of homeschooling. Originally, it was because I wanted to nurture a passion for learning in children. My oldest, then 3, could not go to preschool because he wasn't potty trained. When we found out about homeschooling, this is what sold us on it. In the back of my head was always the fear of bullying. I was bullied as a kid and it really did a number on my self-esteem (something I still struggle with.)

With my middle child, he was soooo high need and he has sensory and auditory issued. I am SOOOO glad that we were already homeschooling. I shudder to think of how far behind he would be in a brick-and-mortar school environment.

I continue to add reasons for homeschooling. My two boys are somewhat odd ducks as far as relating to peers. Some would say that this is a result of homeschooling, but I went to school and I was an odd duck. My oldest has some social anxiety which would be exacerbated by going to school. We are working on this.

On some really bad homeschooling days, I think part of my reason has to do with where I am comfortable. When we decided to homeschool, I felt like I had come home. I found my peeps in our local, non-sectarian homeschooling group. I have always felt like a fish out of water among the send-your-kids-to-school crowd. So, I guess my identity has been tied up in being a homeschooler and I know I will need to deal with that:).

I continue to homeschool because there's no way on earth I'd be organized enough to get them to school, on time and in clean clothes. :tongue_smilie: