Menu

NOOOOOO!

Halcyon

I hope they have failed at inculcating virtual panhandling, thievery, lying, threatening violence and plagiarism as acceptable choices for their children.  Perhaps the children have had enough exposure to community around them to learn that this behavior is destructive in long run.

I don't know about this. One of her former employers state that Olivia stole right in front of her while looking her in the eye.

• Like 1

She says:

Blessed Little Homestead Yes. I am not much of a meat eater and especially not rabbit.

But it's mainly for dog food. We plan to first use them for our dogs and once we get a good supply we plan to sell a raw food diet at the business and farm markets.

Uh?  If you want your rabbits to breed, perhaps don't feed them to the dogs first?  :huh:

• Like 5

I grew up in the country. I'be never heard of anyone buying rabbits to feed dogs?? Wouldn't dog food be cheaper and more immediate??

That's what I don't understand. From a quick Google search, it seems that people who use whole rabbits as dog food feed their dogs half a rabbit or so a day. And don't the Nauglers have something like nine dogs? So that's over 1600 rabbits a year for dog food. Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to buy kibble and some canned food?

• Like 2

That's what I don't understand. From a quick Google search, it seems that people who use whole rabbits as dog food feed their dogs half a rabbit or so a day. And don't the Nauglers have something like nine dogs? So that's over 1600 rabbits a year for dog food. Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to buy kibble and some canned food?

I was just coming here to post this. I did a google search too and that is what I saw as well. Several places I read gave tips on how to feed because it's messy. Just what they need, another messy and expensive unnecessary venture.

Poop and rabbit blood/guts. That is exactly what those kids should be living in.

• Like 8

Also, if you look at the rabbit pictures, you can see the lovely piles of garbage laying in the background. Why in the world wouldn't you clean that up if you're going to build a rabbit pen in the middle of it and take pictures? Old bikes and laundry hampers and who knows what else that is. Jeez. Saying their priorities are out of whack is a serious understatement.

• Like 3

I was just coming here to post this. I did a google search too and that is what I saw as well. Several places I read gave tips on how to feed because it's messy. Just what they need, another messy and expensive unnecessary venture.

Poop and rabbit blood/guts. That is exactly what those kids should be living in.

Maybe they don't realize they have to feed the rabbits. Do they think the rabbits will live on whatever insects happen to land in the pen? 

Also, that is a tiny, crowded, uncomfortable looking pen, with nowhere that I can see for a mother rabbit to keep her babies. Rabbits will eat their own young when stressed. I predict that is what will happen to most of the babies. :(

• Like 1

There's a bin with rabbit pellets in the picture. But that many rabbits will go through a ton of pellets, especially since she's probably not feeding them hay also. Domesticated rabbits are more fragile than most people think. They need shade, cool water, hay etc..

• Like 1

There's a bin with rabbit pellets in the picture. But that many rabbits will go through a ton of pellets, especially since she's probably not feeding them hay also. Domesticated rabbits are more fragile than most people think. They need shade, cool water, hay etc..

That's true. I just don't understand how she thinks feeding and caring for 1600+ rabbits a year is an affordable and easy way to get dog food. 

• Like 2

....Rabbits will eat their own young when stressed. I predict that is what will happen to most of the babies. :(

Of course, Nicole will claim to have properly cared for the buns.  Their untimely demise will be blamed on unscrupulous breeder who took advantage of her.

• Like 5

Nicole seems to have ADD or something.  Oooh look, I want to open a business!  Oooh, I know, we can make our property a bed and breakfast!  Oooh, rabbits!  But without the daily work to keep any of those going.  I know the business looks beautiful (if impractical) but the work was done by others with other people's money.  And she doesn't seem to actually be working daily.  Though maybe I'm wrong. . . 

Yup, this.  And she said she wants to breed the rabbits enough to include raw rabbit meat being sold as pet food as part of a business too.  She has these hare-brained (see what I did there...haha) schemes to create these successful businesses and yet she is missing the most important part of any successful business...a solid work ethic.

• Like 10

Our cat catches wild rabbits himself. I can't imagine how she'd need to buy rabbits for the dogs. 

Our dog doesn't seem to think of living things as food.  She never chases rabbits.  She once caught a pigeon (it must have been ill) and then sat whimpering with the thing in her mouth, asking to be rescued...  She's done the same with voles - one crunch and they'd be lunch, but she just sits there asking for help.

• Like 6

Our dog doesn't seem to think of living things as food.  She never chases rabbits.  She once caught a pigeon (it must have been ill) and then sat whimpering with the thing in her mouth, asking to be rescued...  She's done the same with voles - one crunch and they'd be lunch, but she just sits there asking for help.

So the idea is to kill them then? Egads.

• Like 2

So the idea is to kill them then? Egads.

Well, in the wild, the prey drive is what prompts a predator to get it's prey and kill it.  But our domestic animals have a prey drive but no real need to kill and so the prey drive seems to be there more for play purposes for them - so they will have fun chasing this great toy and will catch it and then have no idea what to do with it.  (Obviously this is not true for all dogs.  Some do kill their prey.  And it doesn't seem to be as much the case for cats though as others have said, some cats don't know what to do with their prey either.)  

• Like 5

There's a guy commenting on the BLH facebook page now who claims to live a mile away from her. He's posting some uncomfortable truths:

You aren't homesteading. Not even sorta kinda almost close. Bunnygate? You put up a few pics of a bunch of rabbits in inadequate quarters. You made a stupid mistake. You don't raise chickens. You have admitted that your poultry venture was cancelled by your 'working dogs". "Raising" chickens isn't what you do. You had chickens and the dogs killed them. Raising chickens is something I as your neighbor know about. We raise pasture broilers every year. you guys aren't "homesteading" or even coming close to being half ass wannabe farmers. This is all smoke and bullshit. I am calling bullshit. You aren't homesteaders or anything close. You paint a pretty picture and we all see through it. You might want to heed my honesty. I live here. We're rapidly growing weary of this.
Picture taken today [of a beautiful, lush, thriving raised-bed garden). Within a mile of your "homestead". The corn is six foot high, All organic. Zero chemicals. We planned and planted on time. To be honest, my wife shuns social media. She doesn't have a Facebook account or any blogs. She just works really hard and manages an actual garden. We both made this happen. We worked. We cultivated. We WORKED! While your post may have good intentions. It's rather transparent. This community is having a very hard time believing you and your selective pictures and spin. [...] Perhaps the point of my post was not understood. You have had more than sufficient time to construct beds and find proper soil. Most of your homestead is wooded. The soil there is amazing. How long have you been there? I built these raised beds last year. I am fortunate to have managed the waste of our livestock and turned it often enough until it became rich and fertile soil. That requires sweat and work and planning. I quite frankly found your post about gardening to be be both shallow and misleading. You freely post about gardening, Throw up a link for seeds...and you yourself are NOT actually doing it. i find this to be a ruse. You could have owned this situation and avoided the motels and actually busted a little ass and built a garden......but the fact that you're portending to be a homesteader.......yeah....no

How do the supporters explain his home truths?

"He wants to run you off and take your land."

"He's an evil, sick-hearted man."

"Keep the children away from him when they come home. He's dangerous"

It appears, incidentally, that the Naughlers haven't planted a garden yet this year because that's Jacob's job. Besides which, they're too upset. So they just... aren't growing any food. I do not understand why they have any supporters anymore.

• Like 10

If she's planning to sell raw rabbit meat as dog food, doesn't she need some way to refrigerate it between killing and selling?  I don't think people will want to buy possibly spoiled dog food.  And people know her and how she lives.  I'd be afraid to buy my dog something that could be contaminated with who knows what.  Dogs' digestive systems can handle some gross stuff, but I wouldn't want to tempt fate and give them something that might hurt them on purpose!

• Like 7

There's a guy commenting on the BLH facebook page now who claims to live a mile away from her. He's posting some uncomfortable truths:

How do the supporters explain his home truths?

"He wants to run you off and take your land."

"He's an evil, sick-hearted man."

"Keep the children away from him when they come home. He's dangerous"

It appears, incidentally, that the Naughlers haven't planted a garden yet this year because that's Jacob's job. Besides which, they're too upset. So they just... aren't growing any food. I do not understand why they have any supporters anymore.

And: "This is only temporary. They'll get a more permanent structure in place later."

I grew up on a farm and raised 4-H animals. The first priority was always preparing a suitable shelter and obtaining feed, a water source, and any other needed supplies BEFORE bringing the animal(s) to the farm. It seems like common sense that if you aren't ready for the animals yet, wait to get them.

• Like 12

Yeah, a couple of them though stated it made them sad to see that the bunnies were for dog food. I think it surprised them to read that. Is it common to buy pet rabbits as feed?

I grew up on a farm where we had both dogs and rabbits, but I've never in my life heard of feeding the rabbits to the dogs. I don't think it's common. 

• Like 3

Yup, this.  And she said she wants to breed the rabbits enough to include raw rabbit meat being sold as pet food as part of a business too.  She has these hare-brained (see what I did there...haha) schemes to create these successful businesses and yet she is missing the most important part of any successful business...a solid work ethic.

Well, there's a second part missing--A Clue. They haven't got a single one. My neighbors decided they wanted to move to the country and be more self-sufficient--they wanted to homestead. And one of their ideas was to raise rabbits for food. They figured they could start their stock while they still lived here in our HOA subdivision because rabbits aren't obviously livestock like chickens or goats. But before they even bought their first pair of rabbits, they spent about 2 years working with an established farmer and learning what they needed to know. Then the husband built a proper hutch with nesting boexes, and they purchased water bowls and feed troughs. They spent a good deal of time making sure they were doing things right. And it was still a bumpy start. But at least they had A Clue what they were doing and why their rabbits weren't doing well to start. And they were patient. They didn't expect to have a great idea one day and marvelous results the next without a serious investment of time, money and hard work.

• Like 11

I grew up on a farm where we had both dogs and rabbits, but I've never in my life heard of feeding the rabbits to the dogs. I don't think it's common. 

The local man who will come round and shoot rabbits for you for free feeds them to his dogs.  It's one of the reasons he provides the service, the other being that he had a bad case of Legionnaire's Disease, and his lungs are such a mess that this is about the only 'field sport' that he can still manage.

• Like 1

And: "This is only temporary. They'll get a more permanent structure in place later."

I grew up on a farm and raised 4-H animals. The first priority was always preparing a suitable shelter and obtaining feed, a water source, and any other needed supplies BEFORE bringing the animal(s) to the farm. It seems like common sense that if you aren't ready for the animals yet, wait to get them.

I'm sure she meant for it to be a permanent structure for them until everyone on fb told her how inappropriate it is. And really, does she even know how to build any thing else? Pallets and chicken wire seems to be the upper end of her building abilities.

Also, it's hilarious that she puts a copyright watermark on her pictures. Like otherwise people are going to steal the pictures of piles of garbage and pretend it's their house.

• Like 12

You'd think eh.  I mean I waited 25 year before getting my yorkie because I could not afford all the extra care a dog requires.  I could not imagine being in a situation where I am trying to get my kids back and instead of doing what needs to be done I went out and bought more animals to add to the chaos and workload, especially on a impulsive buy like that.  I would not have been near any store other than a hardware store for supplies to complete whatever cleaning and building tasks were needed.  Clearly though based on how they have always lived common sense is in very short supply for Nicole and Joe.

• Like 3

The more I read, the more convinced I am that Nicole has NPD. Her martyr complex is truly astonishing:

I have actually sat ayn the page to click "unpublish" on this Fb page several times in the past week. 

But then I realize, that won't help anyone. That won't help us share our testimonies. It won't help share our journey. I know for a fact we have educated and empowered and inspired people long before this incident. 
And that's why I keep going. This isn't just about us. We have always felt there was a purpose in sharing. I just need to focus on that and not the negativity.

Poor Nicole is enduring all this stress and bullying, not for attention and money, but in order to help educate and empower others to follow their own homesteading dreams. What an amazing, selfless woman!

You really can't get much more delusional than that, can you?

• Like 20

Yeah, a couple of them though stated it made them sad to see that the bunnies were for dog food. I think it surprised them to read that. Is it common to buy pet rabbits as feed?

The only time I've ever heard of food rabbits was for people but I know some people feed their dogs meat. However, the sheer number of rabbits they'll need to kill is obviously prohibitive. I can't believe this. The way Nicole approaches everything in her life is starting to drive me a little crazy. She's going to move out to land and figure out water and housing later. She's going to start a garden but figure out how to grow things later. She's going to buy rabbits, but figure out how to house them properly later. Everything in her life is "later". But later never happens because she just moves on to the next project that she isn't going to finish.

The Naugler's supporters are still supporting them because they're super invested in the whole situation and can't admit they were wrong. So they convince themselves that the Nauglers really are just the victims in all this. More and more crazy information comes out that's just a bit crazier than the last thing they supported and they have no idea where to draw the line. It's like boiling a frog. ;)

• Like 5

And I don't know if Nicole has NPD but whatever the heck is wrong with her, she loves attention more than anything else in the world. I was on the BLH group page skimming comments yesterday and someone said something about how amazing Nicole is for how she handles the naysayers and how she even puts up with their criticisms on her page. I just had to laugh. Of course she lets people create some drama on the page. Not too many people, and probably not ones who make a really good point, but if she deleted everyone's negative posts, how would she play the victim?

• Like 3

I'm sure she meant for it to be a permanent structure for them until everyone on fb told her how inappropriate it is. And really, does she even know how to build any thing else? Pallets and chicken wire seems to be the upper end of her building abilities.

and blue tarps!

• Like 1

I love this exchange from BLH, because it just perfectly sums up the whole situation (notice the bolded, lol). The first comment is from one of BLH's more rabid supporters, attacking the neighbor who called BS on Nicole's "homesteading" claim (Rivka quoted a couple of his posts upthread). 

I have a question..k u made it plan u disprove of this family..but..what is ur motive to try and destroy..and talk bad about them..I have neighbors I don't like or agree with..but I leave them alone..they leave me alone..the way the naughler s live..is my dream..to start out and make home with money as I go..I have spent many yrs living in my twenty seven foot trailer..in the mountains..with four kids..which all slept in the same bed.. water packed in..teaching them on the road..warning them of haters..how to stay away. So are u a hater or not..I seriously am educated..inn sychology. .and do not see ur purpose to point out something so small as a rabid cage..and how they need to build it..or what they need do do..they are not the jones..they do not have to keep up with those around them..they seem to be intelligent individuals. .with minds of there own..what is so wrong with that..plus I have also noticed..u only make rude comments to women. .u seem to be a womanizer..are u married..hope so. .so at least in some of ur spare time..u can take ur anger out on ur wife..instead of a pregnant..mom that loves her kids..so why Al..why are u acting the way u are.

Al's reply:

Eulanda my dear. You are more full of shit than a square white bucket.

:lol:    :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

• Like 25

Here are a few highlights from Al's "discussion" with Joe's buddy Breck on the sheriff's FB page:

I am also in a near cardiac situation that I am missing out on your almost epiphany that would clarify everything in life that I have misunderstood.

wull shuckins....g'head and enlighten me.  don't hold back.....drop that skeery bomb....I'll be the guy pissing myself waiting

Did you learn this while working as a carny or while studying constitutional law?

If you're walking to the grocery store and you walk past a car and a shivery little yappy lapdog goes bananas and barks and growls at you....his eyes bugging out and spit flying . . . do you just keep walking or do you stop and tap on the windows of the car to agitate him more ? You see, it's like this . . . when I answer or reply to your posts, I'm tapping the car window. When the sheriff's department doesn't answer or tease the yappy little snarly dog....they just walk by. I hope that clarifies things.

nothing scarier than a former carney living in momma's basement calling better men a "coward" on the internet.....tap tap tap

Breck...Your delusional patriotism is transparent. You haven't earned it and you truly don't get it. Your logic is failed. Your threats are empty. Your arguments are sadly amusing. Your observations aren't really observations.. Your attempts to help only hurt. Can you not see a very easily identifiable pattern forming?

My favorite, though, was when Breck posted the word "Coward!" at Al, 18 times in a row, to which Al replied "ouch."  :lol:

• Like 11

I love this exchange from BLH, because it just perfectly sums up the whole situation (notice the bolded, lol). The first comment is from one of BLH's more rabid supporters, attacking the neighbor who called BS on Nicole's "homesteading" claim (Rivka quoted a couple of his posts upthread). 

I seriously am educated..inn sychology. .

Al's reply:

:lol:    :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

If you're walking to the grocery store and you walk past a car and a shivery little yappy lapdog goes bananas and barks and growls at you....his eyes bugging out and spit flying . . . do you just keep walking or do you stop and tap on the windows of the car to agitate him more ? You see, it's like this . . . when I answer or reply to your posts, I'm tapping the car window. When the sheriff's department doesn't answer or tease the yappy little snarly dog....they just walk by. I hope that clarifies things.

and I'd *seriously* ;)  like to know what school to avoid ever allowing my children near, or patronizing someone whom attended said school . . . . .

that is *seriously* my favorite alism.  I think my family is going to be adding "I'm tapping on the window" to our lexicon . . . . . :thumbup1:

• Like 7

Do you have a link to the Sheriff's fb page?

The "Reviews" section is here. Al's review has 402 replies — you have to keep clicking "view previous comments" to start at the beginning. Several other people joined in (including one guy who gets pretty rude & crude, just as a heads up). Some of the other people referred to Breck as "Blessed Lil Butthole" and "Shampoo Boy."   :laugh:

• Like 3

The "Reviews" section is here. Al's review has 402 replies — you have to keep clicking "view previous comments" to start at the beginning. Several other people joined in (including one guy who gets pretty rude & crude, just as a heads up). Some of the other people referred to Breck as "Blessed Lil Butthole" and "Shampoo Boy."   :laugh:

I'm having fun reading this one...

I'm going to have to use this one: " I appreciate your fervor, but your intellect is lacking and your emotion is misguided."

In fact, I think I'm going to have to create a document just for Al-isms. That's a pretty high honor, lol!

• Like 16

"Sorry, this page is not available"

• Like 1