Menu

Do I want a beagle? eta. pic <3

IfIOnly

We want a dog that is small, super friendly to humans and other dogs, doesn't nip, LOVES children and playing with the. We had already decided on an older house broken pet. I don't have the energy for a puppy. We've been offered Penny a 7 year old beagle who meets all the above criteria. I've been reading up on beagles, and the bolting (needs to be fenced or leashed most likely) seems like something we could handle. The howling if left unattended is what I'm unsure about. We're home usually except for errands and church. If we crate her inside during those time will she miserable. If not, will the neighbors hear her if she's howling some? Also, is 7 too old as in my children will get enough years with her to make the grief of death "worth it". Sounds terrible I know but it's sonething I'm weighing. Other thoughts? I'm excited that she's a love, but just want to make sure we're a good fit for her.

We have a beagle mix that is 12 years old and not as active but still going strong. He howls when people come to the door or sometimes when other dogs pass but is otherwise quiet. I think giving the beagle girl a home would be a good experience. Just make sure all food and trash is secure (we can't leave anything even close to the edge of our counters).

• Like 1

Did you read the other thread about beagles? :rofl:

Yes! I considerd a s/o because that was what gave me the idea to ask the hive. Lol.

I had put an ISO add on CL several days ago and this morning Penny's owner e-mailed me with pics.

• Like 1

We have a beagle mix that is 12 years old and not as active but still going strong. He howls when people come to the door or sometimes when other dogs pass but is otherwise quiet. I think giving the beagle girl a home would be a good experience. Just make sure all foid and trash is secure (we can't leave anything even close to the edge of our counters).

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience! I've heard good things about beagles in general and their recommended on several sites as great family pets. Cesear Milan, who I'm somewhat familiar with, recommended them highy as family pets as well.

We have an 11 year old beagle.  He has been unbelievably tolerant of our kids.  He is also good with other dogs.  Beagles are more submissive.  I didn't want to work with a more aggressive breed.  

The howling thing is something to consider.  He doesn't seem to howl much when we leave him at home, but we have stopped taking him on trips with us after attempting to stay at a dog friendly hotel where he went bonkers every time we left. 

He is also bad to get into food/trash.  We have a trash can that locks and he has figured out how to knock it over and unlatch the thing.  Seriously, I have difficulty unlatching it at times!  I now put the trash in the garage before we leave the house.  He is excellent at cleaning up any food that kids drop.  

He also tends to be a bit smelly at times. And, beagles shed more than you would think for a short haired breed.

I like the fact that he doesn't have to get some special hair cut.  Beagles are also generally a healthy breed.  We have had one sick vet visit in his 11 years.  He is good with people.  He did sleep through someone breaking into our car in our driveway, though, so you know... I wouldn't hope for much of a guard dog. 

I don't know how to answer if 7 is too old.  Good luck with your decision.  There are lots of things to weigh out with taking on a furry family member.  She's a cute girl.  Why are they rehoming her?

• Like 2

We have an 11 year old beagle.  He has been unbelievably tolerant of our kids.  He is also good with other dogs.  Beagles are more submissive.  I didn't want to work with a more aggressive breed.  

The howling thing is something to consider.  He doesn't seem to howl much when we leave him at home, but we have stopped taking him on trips with us after attempting to stay at a dog friendly hotel where he went bonkers every time we left. 

He is also bad to get into food/trash.  We have a trash can that locks and he has figured out how to knock it over and unlatch the thing.  Seriously, I have difficulty unlatching it at times!  I now put the trash in the garage before we leave the house.  He is excellent at cleaning up any food that kids drop.  

He also tends to be a bit smelly at times. And, beagles shed more than you would think for a short haired breed.

I like the fact that he doesn't have to get some special hair cut.  Beagles are also generally a healthy breed.  We have had one sick vet visit in his 11 years.  He is good with people.  He did sleep through someone breaking into our car in our driveway, though, so you know... I wouldn't hope for much of a guard dog. 

I don't know how to answer if 7 is too old.  Good luck with your decision.  There are lots of things to weigh out with taking on a furry family member.  She's a cute girl.  Why are they rehoming her?

Thank you so much, staceyobu! Good info. I'd read that they were generally a healthier breed. The owner is recently divorced and just doesn't have the time for her. He mentioned she's crated most the day now and feels bad about it.

We had a beagle when I was growing up, and she was a great dog. The only time she howled was when was my dad came home from work. She was definitely his dog and she was very excited to see him. We lived in a small town and I had an evening newspaper delivery route. No matter where I was in town, I knew when my dad arrived home because I could hear her howling.

• Like 1

We want a dog that is small, super friendly to humans and other dogs, doesn't nip, LOVES children and playing with the. We had already decided on an older house broken pet. I don't have the energy for a puppy. We've been offered Penny a 7 year old beagle who meets all the above criteria. I've been reading up on beagles, and the bolting (needs to be fenced or leashed most likely) seems like something we could handle. The howling if left unattended is what I'm unsure about. We're home usually except for errands and church. If we crate her inside during those time will she miserable. If not, will the neighbors hear her if she's howling some? Also, is 7 too old as in my children will get enough years with her to make the grief of death "worth it". Sounds terrible I know but it's sonething I'm weighing. Other thoughts? I'm excited that she's a love, but just want to make sure we're a good fit for her.

We had a beagle and she was adorable but an expert escape artist. She would wag her tail at the most obnoxious kids.

However she escaped over a five foot fence by climbing onto a nearby tank stand them scrambling over, chewed through any leather or rope restraint if left attached and could figure out how to scratch any overly simple gate or door open.

If you have a beagle, make sure your house and yard are a million times more secure than they need to be and make sure it's microchipped. They are a pack animal and like company.

• Like 1

Also the other post reminded me about food. They are really greedy and will sniff out food stashes a mile away which can sometimes lead to health issues, for example with a dog that ate an entire Christmas ham and another that found some bulk chocolate in storage.

Our girl lived to be 12, unfortunately she was getting really deaf and was hit by a car on one of her escapades. She was starting to have hip problems in her last year too. So I think a 7 yo dog is reasonable because you miss the annoying puppy stage and should have four ir five years of joy.

• Like 1

Oh she is cute!!   Take her!!   :)

I had a beagle that did not howl.   She was a great dog.    She was also a great vacuum cleaner.   I have so many crumbs on the floor now that she is gone.

She was always so excited to eat.   It was a true joy to see a little creature get so excited, day after day, about something so simple.   She adored eating.  She

was prone to weight problems if we weren't careful.

• Like 1

The dog that owns a huge (huge) part of my heart was a beagle.

Unfortunately, we lost her too early (nine) to a horrible brain disease.

Like the beagle you're considering, she was a victim of divorce.

I did a bit of fostering beagles before we adopted her, and my mom had one.  There can be a lot of variation within the breed -- size, activity level, type of coat, smell, etc.

Many beagles (any hound) have a distinct smell that can be offensive to some.  Our beagle didn't.  I could go months w/o bathing her and she never smelled at all.  My mom's beagle tended to have the typical "houndy" smell.

Our beagle was amazingly tolerant.  She went along with whatever was going on, or she found a spot to take a nap.  My mom's beagle was the same.

Our beagle never barked unless there was a reason (someone at the door, etc.).  We had her for seven years and I heard her howl maybe two or three times.  Overall she was probably the quietest dog we've ever had.  Making noise just wasn't something she was interested in.  My mom's made more noise than ours, but wasn't a noisy dog overall.

The trash can raiding -- Oh my goodness yes.  We learned early on to either crate the beagle or put the trash can behind a closed door when we left.  She didn't like to be crated (or need to be other than for the trash can issue) so we learned to put the trash can away.  My mom's dog had the same issue, but she loved her crate.

As someone else said, shedding is more than you might think.  Ours had a slickish coat and shed moderately, my mom's had a thicker, almost shepherd-like coat and she shed heavily.

Ours only tried to escape once, and that was two days after she came to us as a foster dog.  I held the door open one second too long and we had a merry chase through the neighborhood.  Thankfully she stopped to smell something and I managed to grab her.  After that she seemed to catch on to the idea that she was loved and had landed in a great spot, and she never tried to escape again.  Of course we were vigilant--we had a securely fenced back yard and walked her on leash.

In general beagles are healthy dogs who love everybody and are super tolerant of kids.  But they are walking noses.  If you can put up with that (or find it endearing) then they make wonderful, wonderful pets.

• Like 2

Everything already written above is true.

If you have a chance at a beagle, seize the opportunity.

We acquired ours from a shelter; she most likely was a survivor of either Katrina or Rita. Vet gauged her as four years old. She had serious case of heart worms which probably explains why she had not been adopted already. We did not care because we fell in love with her on the spot.

Hannah has been our mischievous, intensely loving beagle since March 2006. She now has bladder cancer and not much time left with us. No detectable pain; just obliged to be gated in the kitchen where the flooring can be cleaned. We will grieve when she dies.

We never thought it necessary to crate her when we left home. I don't incline toward that for a house-trained dog. Likely that fosters loneliness and insecurity in the dog.

• Like 3

I had a beagle.  I loved her dearly but I would not have another beagle.  She tended to smell more than other dogs - just an annoying hound odor that was hard to shake.  I had a cocker spaniel at the same time and have had many other dogs.  She was the smelliest.  Also, she was sweet but I wouldn't have trusted her with my young kids (she died when my kids were babies so she was never around children).  She'd snap if she didn't want to be touched.  It was rare but enough not to trust her.  She shed a lot more than other short haired dogs I've had. Also keep in mind that adopting an older dog is great but you would be getting into Big-Vet-Bill Territory. 

• Like 1

I had a beagle. I loved her dearly but I would not have another beagle. She tended to smell more than other dogs - just an annoying hound odor that was hard to shake. I had a cocker spaniel at the same time and have had many other dogs. She was the smelliest. Also, she was sweet but I wouldn't have trusted her with my young kids (she died when my kids were babies so she was never around children). She'd snap if she didn't want to be touched. It was rare but enough not to trust her. She shed a lot more than other short haired dogs I've had. Also keep in mind that adopting an older dog is great but you would be getting into Big-Vet-Bill Territory.

I'm thinking our beagle had a hound smell to an extent as well. I think we didn't notice it as much because we had a basset hound as well. He was super sweet, but he really did smell. :)

Sheesh, Dog Heaven is a super awesome place with those two there. :)

• Like 2

Regarding the odor noticed by some.  Check the dog's anal glands.  (possibly incorrect term)  Sometimes they swell and need to be gently "expressed."  The brave can do this for the dog themselves; on the very few occasions when our beagle developed the odor, we just took her to the vet and had a tech do this.  Always solved the problem. 

• Like 2

Regarding the odor noticed by some.  Check the dog's anal glands.  (possibly incorrect term)  Sometimes they swell and need to be gently "expressed."  The brave can do this for the dog themselves; on the very few occasions when our beagle developed the odor, we just took her to the vet and had a tech do this.  Always solved the problem. 

You have the correct term.

And you're right -- anal glands, ears and mouth/teeth are all common sources of dog odor (in all dogs).  But all the hound breeds do tend to have a unique smell.  Not all of them have it, but many do.  And some have it much worse than others.  When I was working in beagle rescue it's something we always warned our potential adopters about.  It is a very real issue, and we preferred for potential adopters to be aware of it in advance rather than take a dog home and then return it because they couldn't deal with it.

• Like 2

My beagle's paws always smell like Fritos to me. He does need a bath every month but unless he rolls in something (another thing to be aware of) isn't too stinky. He is a mixed breed though. We use a rubber brush sold for horses that works great for reducing the amount of loose hair shed but frequent vacuuming is needed still.

• Like 1

Thank you all for weighing in. I'm learning from you and love hearing you stories, the positive and negative. I doubt there's a perfect breed, so we're going to have to compromise somewhere. The positives far outweigh the negatives so far. Plus, I have four boys 11-6. After making it through the younger years with them, I pretty much feel I can take on a garbage eating, food stealing, nose following, possibly smelly beagle with ease. Lol!

I talked to DH last night, and he would love to have her, as well. I emailed the owner letting him know we were interested and asked a few questions. I've got butterflies in my stomach waiting for his reply. I love dogs and grew up with them and am so excited about the possibility of having a furry friend of our own soon. 

• Like 8

I hope it works out!  She is a doll!!

DH and I got a beagle when we were first married.  He, along with his yellow lab companion, have since passed on to Doggie Heaven.  Our beagle was adorable, incorrigible, sassy, too smart for his own good, and an absolute walking garbage disposal, and we loved every minute of it.  :)  They're really like no other.

My allergies have gotten so bad that we will likely not have another, but we have very fond memories.   :001_wub:

• Like 2

Dude. Everyone for 10 miles will hear her if she howls [emoji14]

She is cute!

Our neighbors' beagle does howl and does escape. I hope yours will be a model citizen. :)

Well, I can't say I wasn't warned. Haha!

Still waiting to hear back from the owner. 

• Like 1

Yep.  My beagle's glands needed it a lot!  The only dog I've owned that needed that except once in a blue moon.  I'm repulsed just remembering! 

Oh, but I loved my dogs and miss them dearly.  We lost our last dog, a sweet Belgian Malinois, last year.  We're not ready for another but I long for a dog again.

• Like 1

Thank you all for weighing in. I'm learning from you and love hearing you stories, the positive and negative. I doubt there's a perfect breed, so we're going to have to compromise somewhere. The positives far outweigh the negatives so far. Plus, I have four boys 11-6. After making it through the younger years with them, I pretty much feel I can take on a garbage eating, food stealing, nose following, possibly smelly beagle with ease. Lol!

I talked to DH last night, and he would love to have her, as well. I emailed the owner letting him know we were interested and asked a few questions. I've got butterflies in my stomach waiting for his reply. I love dogs and grew up with them and am so excited about the possibility of having a furry friend of our own soon. 

Good luck!  I know it is exciting.  She is a cutie.  She could be my beagle's twin.  They look exactly alike in the face and those velvety ears! 

ETA - mine didn't howl.  Well, about five times in her entire life she did a half howl, half bark thing that shocked her as much as us and made the cutest little "o" with her mouth.  So, you are right, all dogs have positives and negatives. 

• Like 1

Also checking for an update!!

Oh, and one piece of advice:  not sure if your yard is already fenced, but either have a sturdy fence or keep your beagle leashed or tied if she's out.  Ours would run off at the slightest interesting scent or sound, and did. not. listen. to save his life.  Our vet told us never to try an invisible fence, that he'd never met a beagle who respected it.  :LOL:

• Like 1

Our beagle has never escaped from our backyard.  He will try to run out the front door sometimes if we are all leaving, but he's gotten a lot better about it with age.  He has certainly never been an escape artist.  So, not all bad beagle behavior is necessarily in every beagle.  

• Like 2

Thanks HB for the link. We've just borrowed a few videos from the library of the other trained "who must not be named". I didn't realize there was a controversy. I'll look into it.

Penny's owner has been super busy, but I finally got a nice long email this morning with more info, so something to update ya'll.  He's about mid 30's and has two young daughters who were staying with him this weekend.

He says she's in great health but may need some dental work. He says she may not even need it, but he hasn't had the money to take her in. The second biggie is she has to be kenneled a big chunk of the day and has accidents sometimes before he gets home. He lives in an apartment. He's thinking that she'll adjust to our schedule and be fine with going outside. So dental and being housebroken are things to consider. He sounds like he really loves his dog, but being a dog owner just too much for him right now. I think I mentioned up thread that he's recently divorced so his circumstances have changed a lot recently. 

He asked for pics of our yard and seems to really be concerned that she goes to a loving home. He isn't asking a dime for her and even wants to give us her kennel and all other dog items. He's leaving to the Midwest in a week and will need to find her a home before then or she'll go to a boarder. I stalked his FB and his story adds up. He's from the midwest, lots of friends, single with 2 daughters. 

We just got the email this morning, so I need to talk with my husband about it and most likely figure a time to pick her up! She's a 3 hour drive from us. 

• Like 4

Well, a little twist in our beagle search. I haven't heard from Penny's owner since I emailed this morning and asked if we could have a phone conversation today to confirm more personally and make some plans. Bummer. I probably will hear from him tomorrow, but this puppy came up tonight on CL. She's local, we were the first to call, the owner is sounds traumatized at the thought of letting her go, but she also is divorced recently and doesn't have the time for her. She should have let her go a year ago, but just couldn't. She's not totally sure if she's a purebred, but she is very much a beagle by characteristics. She's healthy and is all currents on vaxes and checkups and all that. She's a little younger than Penny. Every two months she takes her to the vet to get her anal gland squeezed (sorry if that icked you out!) and nails trimmed for $40. Not too bad. We're going to look at her tomorrow evening unless we can talk to Penny's owner before then. 

post-76062-0-61922800-1431407683_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Warning!  I think beagles are uber cute, and my neighbor across the street has one, but I would never, ever live with one.  He brays (sounds like a cross between a donkey and a sea-lion) when he barks, and he barks all.the.time if he is outside or the windows are open.  He was a re-re-home from family members due to his noise.  

The pic. you posted is adorable btw.  

• Like 1

I need some outside perspective here. I got an email from Penny's owner this morning and, long story short, he's giving her to his XW. It may not work out though, and he'll let me know. But, after thinking about my talk with the other beagle's owner, I'm not sure she's a good fit for us. :( She said Del (short for Adelia) can only manage short walks. Del will actually just lay down and stubbornly not go any further. Ha! I actually think it's kind of cute, but our family is fairly active.  We just went on a 6 mile hike last weekend but normally do 1-2 miles walking reg. We went very slowly and it took us forever and I was sore for days though just so you don't think I'm super athletic or anything. Ha!  But, we probably shouldn't take Del, right? She sounds like such a love though. The CL ad reads

I have the most sweetest loving pup in the world. Her name is Adele, or Del for short. She is the love of my life and I have been her soul owner for almost 5 years, since she was a puppy. I no longer have the time to devote to her to give her the best life possible, and hope to find a good loving home for her with plenty of time to devote to her. Like I said she is super loveable, loves to hug and kiss, loves sleeping, likes (short walks), loves children and other dogs. She has been around my family's other dogs and kids and does wonderful. She is the best. If you are interested please text me. Like I said she is my little baby, and I am looking for the right fit. also, needs a home with a fence, since she has hound in her she tends to roam if there is no fence.

I'd want to know why Del can't/won't walk very far.  In the picture she looks quite overweight, although it could just be the angle and/or the way she's laying.  If weight is the issue--and I really think there's a very good chance it is--that's something you can fix.  A five year old beagle should have plenty of stamina and should enjoy walking.

Unfortunately, weight issues are very common in beagles.  They tend to be easy keepers (don't eat much for their size) and so it's easy to overfeed them.  And given the opportunity most beagles would never stop eating.

• Like 3