Menu

Do you drink coffee with milk?

gingersmom

And I love lattes (hot or iced) too.

My favorite drink when in Belgium is koffie verkeerd ("wrong coffee"):

Koffie verkeerd, or "wrong coffee", is a typical Dutch way of consuming coffee: half automatic drip coffee and half warm milk. It's called "wrong" because traditionally coffee only contains a "wolkje", a small cloud, of milk.

Coffee with milk. Mmmm. Mmmm. Good! :drool5:

Grew up in IN. My grandfather always used milk and I did when I was a kid. He used to make me " coffee soup." Buttered sugared bread torn up and put in the saucer with milky coffee poured over. Spoon optional. He let me pick up the saucer and gulp from there. I guess now they'd call child services ;)

• Like 3

Grew up in IN. My grandfather always used milk and I did when I was a kid. He used to make me " coffee soup." Buttered sugared bread torn up and put in the saucer with milky coffee poured over. Spoon optional. He let me pick up the saucer and gulp from there. I guess now they'd call child services ;)

Sounds like a real treat for a kid! If my children were younger, I would try that for the usng homemade bread. Alternative would be to pour hot cocoa over it.

I have known parents who let gheir children drink coffee. Sure beats Coke or Pepsi!

• Like 3

Sounds like a real treat for a kid! If my children were younger, I would try that for the usng homemade bread. Alternative would be to pour hot cocoa over it.

I have known parents who let gheir children drink coffee. Sure beats Coke or Pepsi!

My kids both like coffee. I think it's because I never could give it up completely while pregnant and nursing them. When DS was a toddler and I was pregnant with DD, I would get an iced decaf Americano for a treat while shopping at Whole Foods and DS would always help himself from his seat in the cart. Once in a while they are allowed coffee on the weekends--a coffee cup of milk and just enough coffee to give the milk a little color. There are a lot worse things they could be drinking :-)

• Like 1

My kids both like coffee. I think it's because I never could give it up completely while pregnant and nursing them. When DS was a toddler and I was pregnant with DD, I would get an iced decaf Americano for a treat while shopping at Whole Foods and DS would always help himself from his seat in the cart. Once in a while they are allowed coffee on the weekends--a coffee cup of milk and just enough coffee to give the milk a little color. There are a lot worse things they could be drinking :-)

Reminiscent of cambric tea -- only, "cambric coffee"!

• Like 2

I like a little coffee with my cream and sugar.  Since I seem to be developing less of a tolerance for lactose I might try Lactaid instead of any cream the next time I want some.  I have had milk in coffee before, and I like it just fine so long and the amount of coffee is just enough for some flavoring and no more than that.  The oils in coffee seem to upset my stomach if I don't have enough of a buffer, but I do like a hint of the flavor.

I drink coffee black. No one in my family uses milk/cream/sugar.

I put milk in black tea - for some reason, tea makes my stomach upset without the milk. I add a bit of sugar too. I prefer whole or 2% milk. Cream is too rich, skim milk is too thin.

East coaster (ME/MD) here. It's half and half (or table cream) or black. Never milk, and never, ever creamer. Gag.

I accidentally bough fat free "half and half" (it can't really be half cream and fat free at the same time) last year. My coffee tasted weird and then I found white sludge in the bottom of the cup. And then I dumped the rest of the half gallon down the drain. Because yuck,

• Like 1

East coaster (ME/MD) here. It's half and half (or table cream) or black. Never milk, and never, ever creamer. Gag.

I accidentally bough fat free "half and half" (it can't really be half cream and fat free at the same time) last year. My coffee tasted weird and then I found white sludge in the bottom of the cup. And then I dumped the rest of the half gallon down the drain. Because yuck,

I was absolutely mystified when someone brought this to a communal coffee thing a year or so ago. What on earth is in that stuff?! It's completely contradictory! And no, it didn't taste anything at all like half and half, so what is the point? 

I'll admit to liking the flavored creamers, but there's so much sugar in them that I can't get my creaminess:sweetness ratio right, so I rarely bother. I did use some French Vanilla creamer as a treat the other day because I knew I was going for a dessert-like experience anyway :lol: 

• Like 1

I started drinking coffee as a child (my mother always drank it and I was always cold so I would hold her cup to warm my hands and then started drinking it much to her dismay). I always drink it with milk and either sugar substitute or sugar.

I grew up on the East Coast and always ordered my coffee with milk (not cream, not 1/2 and 1/2, not powdered stuff) and nobody blinked an eye.

Since I moved 2000 miles away people look at me like I have two heads and horns when I ask for coffee with milk. In Iowa I had such a long discussion about it (they were beyond confused), that I just gave up and drank it black.

At one restaurant they told me I could have milk for my coffee but they were going to charge me for a glass of milk.

At McDonalds I am the only  person who pays $3 for a $1cup of coffee  because I have to buy a separate carton of milk.

Even the Starbucks don't have milk out (although the person behind the counter will find milk for me free of charge :)

Today at 7-11 I didn't realize till after I poured the coffee that they didn't have milk. So I had to go buy a tiny carton of milk to pour into my coffee.

Is coffee with milk just an East Coast phenomenon?

My mother put milk in every cup of coffee she ever drank. She was from Virginia/North Carolina.

But here in Texas and California, I've never seen coffee served with milk. Half-and-half, cream, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, mystery-dairy-creamer, but not milk.

I like my coffee with Dairy. This could be milk, half and half, or cream. Any one of these would be fine. I use more milk than I would cream. 

Coffee is super common here. I can't comment on ordering coffee with milk, since I don't buy plain coffee at shops. If I'm going to a shop for a special treat, I'll get something espresso. 

Husband (Texas) says he grew up with 'American Coffee', which is made weak and into which he would put cream.  He now makes strong coffee or espresso into which he puts hot milk (and which is what I also grew up with - my parents spent a lot of time in France).  So the water content is probably the same, but the taste from the strong coffee is more intense, we find.

. Some people make the coffee granules with hot milk rather than water.

An Asian Indian friend would make us coffee when we visit her by boiling milk in a small pot and then stirring in instant coffee powder to the warm milk.

• Like 2

I only like coffee with milk. For some reason black coffee makes me really thirsty and my mouth feel dry. I usually either make it with a full cup of hot milk and a teaspoon of instant coffee or I just add a generous amount of milk to whatever type of black coffee I'm using. If I'm out and have coffee I'll order a latte but to be honest I'd mostly have a pot of tea and I usually drink tea at home. 

My mother put milk in every cup of coffee she ever drank. She was from Virginia/North Carolina.

But here in Texas and California, I've never seen coffee served with milk. Half-and-half, cream, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, mystery-dairy-creamer, but not milk.

A Texan for sixty years and never have seen someone add to coffee anything other than milk or fake creamer!

I've never known anyone who insisted that it had to be milk rather than cream or creamer or half and half or whatever. Can you really taste the difference? My mother--in-law usually uses condensed milk, poured straight from the can that she keeps in her fridge, but will use milk without quibbling if that's what is available. 

Personally, I say that I like a little coffee with my cream and sugar, but I don't care what the white stuff is particularly. That's the way my Dad drank his. My grandmother liked her coffee with "cream" but no sugar. I had to remember to stir hers first before I fixed my Dad's cup. She could taste the sugar from the shared stirring spoon. 

Me, too! I get teased about this in my house.

OP, I don't think it is weird that you use milk in your coffee and I've lived in the west for most of my life. It is your drink, you can have it any way you like!

My friend's Mom used to make us "children's coffee"....which was a bunch of milk, a tiny bit of coffee, and a ton of sugar.  To this day, it's the only way I really like it.  (Probably why I like coffee ice cream and not real coffee.)   When I was in upstate NY, this gas station chain called Stewart's (so much more than a gas station though, they also have this wonderful ice cream/dairy) sold coffee flavored milk.  Oh, how I miss that.  

Milk is normal here down in Florida...and it was fine up in NY when we lived there.  I've never heard of anybody being charged.  Normally, they'll bring you a tiny metal pitcher of milk.  (My Dad likes it that way.)

I remember getting coffee with an econ professor while in grad school in North Carolina. He'd petitioned the small coffee shop to carry 2% in addition to skim and whole milk, because he wanted to eliminate the transaction costs of mixing his own. So, milk on the menu in NC.

It could be where I live now in CA versus where I lived before, outside of Philadelphia, but there don't seem to be as many big shops for coffee here. In PA, I'm thinking specifically of Wawa, with it's 15 coffee urns and endless variety of milk-based coffee additives. Oh word, I miss Wawa. 

I suspect that the prevalence of non-milk options has more to do with shops choosing to provide fewer options (as a cost-saving mechanism) rather than true cultural trends. 

And I agree, I absolutely can tell the difference in mouth-feel between heavy creams and skim milk. It's why I prefer heavy cream for my coffee.

• Like 1

lots of people drink coffee with milk here (west coast Canada). Good cafes & coffee shops usually put out 1%, whole & cream.

I have it with soy. Starbucks has had soy & nut milks for years but only in the past few months has Timmy's (aka Tim Horton's aka where Canadians congregate) finally got soy in.