Menu

Dd needs new hobby/project

HollyDay

Dd enjoyed the Rainbow Loom quite a bit.  She was given a LoopdeDoo.  But that was not quite a hit.  She can do basic knitting, crochet, and embrodery.  So, with the heat of summer coming.....think days and days of temps over 100......she wants a new project.  She has made dozens of potholders using the potholder looms. 

Any suggestions? 

How about journaling? Or sketching? If she's good with her hands I bet she'd be good at drawing and there are tons of great how-to-draw books out there. 

Otherwise how about teaching her how to sew either by hand or with a machine? She could make cute simple cotton skirts or drawstring backpacks or purses for summer. 

Painting peg dolls is a popular thing to do right now, depending on her age she might be able to handle trying her hand at painting little dolls. Etsy has cute examples everything from Disney princesses to saints and other bible characters. 

• Like 1

I am not a crafty person at all, but I love to google. :)

These might be too hard for her, but they look like so much fun!...

http://www.cnet.com/pictures/wonderfully-geeky-knitting-projects-pictures/

ETA:  My dh likes the electromagnetic set; my favorite is the frog dissection.

Or, my MIL used to make stuffed bears for kids who had long stays in the hospital.  Maybe she could do something like that?  Knitting hats for the NICU?

if she can crochet - snowflakes.  there are hundreds of different patterns, and she'll learn new stitches.  a single flake only takes about an hour.  they can be used as gift tags, Christmas ornaments, etc.  (or if she feels particularly successful, using thread and a very fine hook can make snowflake 'beads' to make into earrings.)

or beadie babies (you didn't say how old she is).  online patterns for free.  different size beads give different size outcomes.  everything from earrings, to zipper pulls, to unique luggage tags and keychains.

How about stamping.  My daughter has enjoyed making cards using rubber stamps.  I am teaching card making at our homeschool coop and I have a 5th grader and 8th grader in the class and they both love it and do a great job.  There are tons of ideas on Pinterest.

Quilling! Also known as paper filigree. Very easy to learn, endless possibilities. quilling.com and quilledcreations.com are two websites that I've ordered supplies from in the past.

I second this!

Maybe loom knitting? It's like knitting but super duper fast. Especially if she's doing hospital donations. A little preemie hat in less than an hour, an adult hat in 1 hour or so.

How about other kinds of weaving? An inkle loom is pretty simple, but she can use it to make, ribbons, bracelets, belts, straps for bags or guitars, etc. If you're handy in the wood shop, you can make your own:

http://makezine.com/craft/how_to_build_an_inkle_loom/

(Even if you are not very handy, you can whack some dowel rods onto some uprights and call it good--you don't need to get as fancy as the link above)

YouTube has several nice videos explaining how to use in, and googling 'inkle patterns' will pull up lots of stuff.

(Not sure how old your daughter is so this might be a bit too complex, but I thought it worth a mention.😃)

Or, maybe sewing? My crafter enjoyed making a block quilt for her American Girl doll, and has experimented with making Barbie clothes and tote bags.