Menu

Is there any way to nicely address this situation- dog/neighbors

MSNative

Let me preface by saying I love animals. However, I am starting to get frustrated with what is happening in my neighborhood. Several times a week neighbors (some I know and some I dont) allow their dogs to tear through my yard on their off-leash walk. We have leash laws in our neighborhood. The dog owners dutifully call their dogs out of my yard but not before the dogs have ripped up or stomped on plants, peed on my plants and knocked my gutter down spout off. (Obviously this is a list of what several dogs have done, not one lone dog or one incident.) I do see most of these incidents and I suppose I could race outside to say something to the dog owner but honestly, I feel like that won't do anything. I mean when you see your dog knock my drain spout off and just keep walking, is a home owner talking to you going to do anything?

Today was the final straw when a dog at the park two blocks away jumped into my car and proceeded to get muddy paw prints all over and rip the leather seats. Ironically I was parked right in front of the leash law sign. The dog wasn't mean. I think it was just an overly friendly older puppy that just needed to be on a leash. He was fairly easy to get out- after he had done the damage. The owner barely said anything. A passing sorry while she took the dog - again not on the leash she was holding- back out to the park.

We have a neighborhood facebook page and I am tempted to try to write just a nice, hey please keep your dogs on a leash reminder post, but I can't see how that will be taken well at all. Is there any actual way to deal with it or should I just suck it up?

Thanks for letting me vent! Typing this out helped me realize this is not nearly a serious a problem as many people have in their lives. I appreciate any ideas for how to helpfully deal with this or give it up.

• Like 1

I don't know if this would be best or not, but I'd probably say, as soon as 8 saw an unleashed dog coming, "whoops Buddy, slipped of your leash, did you? Hey Mr Neighbor, need me to help you catch him?" Act like you believe the owner meant to use the leash and the dog got away. Assume the best about each owner at any given point. If the neighbor admits to letting them off the leash, just say you've had some problems with stuff being knocked over in your yard and ask if there's a way to fix this situation.

• Like 6

who is the Pres. of your HOA? Perhaps you can contact him/her and have them put something on the FB page.   You can't be the only person who is having this problem.  We have problems with one dog on my street - and he is the talk of the neighborhood.  So I'm thinking there are others who are fuming about your multiple dog situation.

Outside of that you cana call the pound and have them come.  Perhaps if dog owners just *see* the van in the neighborhood they'll start paying attention.

• Like 10

You're being way too nice. I'd go out into the yard while the dog is on your property and start snapping pictures of dog and owner. I love dogs, have three of them, but there's no excuse for this. They are being thoughtless and irreponsible not only to you and other neighbors but also to the dogs. It is not safe to have a dog off leash! And the person whose dog tore your car upholstery - holy cow, I hope you got her name and address and let her know she'd be receiving the repair bill soon!

I think all my recent migraines are making me grumpy. But seriously, you have a right to stand up for yourself!

• Like 15

I've been known to grab a dog and take them towards the house. When confronted, as I inevitably am when I do this, I respond with "Oh, is this YOUR dog? Since it wasn't on a leash, I thought it had gotten loose. I was just going to feed it and bring it down to the shelter. If you can't keep him under control, you really ought to leash him."

Funnily enough, I never see the same dog twice, which is good because the second time, I wouldn't stop to chit-chat*.

I'm not a stickler. If somebody's dog is on heel, or just generally well-behaved, I don't care if they're leashed or not. But I don't like dogs chasing towards me, and their owner goes "Oh, he's friendly, he just wants to play!" Let him play with people who like dogs.

* I'm lucky I haven't been bit, I know, but then - so is everybody else!  If you can't control your animal, follow the darn law.

• Like 6

Thank you so much for making me feel like I'm not a horrible person for being frustrated.

I didn't realize the seats were ripped until we got home or I would have something. Sigh. I love the great suggestions yall are giving me. I will def contact the hoa pres and see if she can post something. That would go over much better. And I will use the suggestion to say, whoops, you slipped out of the leash fella and the oops, thought it was a lost dog tricks too. Jean- I need to be more assertive, too. I am working on that.

Thanks for all the help!! I knew the hive could help me figure this out.

• Like 5

Dogs running through your yard, regularly? ripping up plants. 

I have a dog. He doesn't pee in anyone's yard. On long walks he pees on common property (HOA or bordering state road).  No one wants someone else's dog's pee or poo in their yard. No one wants a dog digging in their yard. Your neighborhood dog owners are very inconsiderate. 

Years before we got a dog, our neighborhood went through a period of animosity between dog owners and nondog owners. Frankly the big issue was dog owners. Off leash behavior and not picking up poo. Our HOA spent about a year repeatedly beating people over the head with our locality's leash laws. Additionally, they researched costs of testing poo for DNA and considered requiring dog owners to register. They never actually did anything or required anything, but the dog owners go the message. And the culture and behavior changed. There are a lot of dogs here. There are only 2 I ever see off leash and those 2 are incredibly well behaved. Everyone picks up after their dogs. The HOA did put up signage around our large play ground saying dogs could not be there--too much poo had been left where young children play and that was the consequence. I guess the nagging, the signage and reporting researching dog poo DNA got the main offenders to take a look in the mirror and change. I don't know what the next step in the plan was to be if that didn't happen. 

You probably need to start by attending HOA board meetings and asking to discuss the problem. If you go this route, you are going to have to do the research come up with at least some of the options. In my HOA board members are not paid and would need help to get going on an issue like this. 

• Like 2

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine (no pun intended). I do not like dogs, don't care how "friendly" you think they are, not scared of them, just don't enjoy their presence/want them in my yard/near my kids/ near me.

The ripped seats in the car???? Yeah, that is destruction of private property. I don't think you called the dog into the car did you?? If immediate compensation and an apology was not forthcoming on the spot  police would have been called and report filed on the spot, pics taken of dog/owner, license plate written down if they left before police arrived.

Everything else document (pics like mentioned up thread), try speaking to the owners (though in my experience, rarely works as many seem to think their dog is a "special snowflake" who would never poop on your lawn/bite/run over flowers/etc, or they shrug it off with "dogs will be dogs" comments, ummm, that is why I don't have any!) and then REPORT, REPORT, REPORT.

I would also be setting up those motion sensor sprinklers. (We are thinking about this, but I need to figure out how to put those ones on timer or a switch, as the kids like to play out front.)

Perhaps carry one of those dog "silencers" like electronic whistle and step outside whenever a dog comes into your yard and maybe the dogs will naturally avoid your yard after a while.

ETA: ok, my post seems a bit aggressive, but I have seen damage unleashed dogs can do, and they are animals, so not 100% controllable by anyone. I have been attacked by a lasha apso, seen a small terrier attack my dad and been chased by a pack of wild mutts, but I grew up on a "hobby farm" with like 3 dogs, so I just learned, it's an animal. You need to know how to control, but even then things happen (It can get scared, startled, pack mentality sets in, riled up by other dogs, etc, etc). Hence. we have leash laws. 

• Like 4

I'm so assertive because one of my dogs has been attacked twice by unleashed dogs while he was on a leash.  He is now aggressive towards unleashed dogs that come hurtling toward him.  Often dog owners will call out, as their dog comes hurtling towards me, "He's friendly".  And I will call back, "My dog and I aren't!"  They do a double take at that but will leash their dog.  

I get that dogs can get loose sometimes.  My dogs have slipped out of our door (because dh doesn't always close the front door!).  One dog will stay in our yard.  The other one will run around the neighborhood before we get him back.  But he's never done property damage and we've always picked up poop (obviously I can't pick up pee).  It happened more when he was younger but we've trained him and now can get him back immediately.  Plus, I've trained dh and he is much more careful with the door.   ;)

• Like 4

I have been bit three times in the past 20 years by neighborhood dogs. I no longer have any tolerance for dogs on my property or dogs that want to jump up on me, leashed or unleased, friendly or not. I do otherwise really love dogs, just don't like the unpredictable nature of unknown or untrained dogs.

One neighbor a few houses away puts out a small wire fence around his property line with a nicely worded sign about keeping dogs off his property. He leaves it up a week or so, then takes it down. I would guess he puts the fence up once or twice a year. He keeps a small store-bought sign up year-round that says, "Please pick up after your dog."

• Like 1

Often dog owners will call out, as their dog comes hurtling towards me, "He's friendly". And I will call back, "My dog and I aren't!" They do a double take at that but will leash their dog.

:lol: I have called back that my dog isn't friendly, but never thought to include myself. I bet that really does get their attention!

• Like 6

motion activated sprinkler.  and if it hits the owner, they may think twice next time.

or post a sign in a prominent place that your yard has had a strong poison sprayed and people should keep animals and children away.

• Like 4

The owner whose dog ripped your car seats needs to pay to repair them. You should've shown him immediately though. Not sure he will believe you after the fact. I would've been freaking out! :(

since the owner was there, and saw this - I would get an estimate for repairs.  if you know who she is - send her the bill.  if she doesn't pay - take her to small claims court.

• Like 4

Hon, I have 3 dogs (& a bonus one staying with me this month while my mom is away), I love dogs, I live & breathe dog,  and I would be so rip roaring mad that these folks' ears would be stinging from here till next Sunday.

One time, & very apologetic frantic owner chasing Fido, Ok. I'll help you catch your dog, commiserate about the little brats, talk about training a really reliable recall & be friendly.

Next time - you get the full blast of my wrath.

In your case, I'd definitely post on the community fb page. It will not be taken well because self centered jerks are self centered jerks. Isn't that ok? Do you really want to be liked by people who think nothing of wrecking your property & defying community leash laws?

Document, photograph, & publicly shame + report to whoever is in charge of animal control.  These people give a bad name to all dogs and dog owners. Grrrr.

• Like 5

ETA: ok, my post seems a bit aggressive, but I have seen damage unleashed dogs can do, and they are animals, so not 100% controllable by anyone. I have been attacked by a lasha apso, seen a small terrier attack my dad and been chased by a pack of wild mutts, but I grew up on a "hobby farm" with like 3 dogs, so I just learned, it's an animal. You need to know how to control, but even then things happen (It can get scared, startled, pack mentality sets in, riled up by other dogs, etc, etc). Hence. we have leash laws. 

it is simply more logical than "doggie lovers whose special free ranging snowflake wouldn't hurt anyone" can register.

I have a son who used to be terrified of the NICEST dogs who were trained and standing still, let alone exuberant playful ones or grumpy ones.  I was always wary going to parks - NOT in an off-leash area - and the dogs were off leash or roaming on an extra long lead.

I like dogs.  I like BIG dogs - but my like ends where the dog owners respect for other people leaves off.  and these dog owners are showing they don't care about anyone but their special snowflake.

I've also noticed that people think their dog is trained and well behaved when it most certainly is NOT.  trained and well-mannered dogs do not grab a child's shoe off the playground and chew it up while playing keep-away (re: come chase me).  they do not prowl the room sticking their noses at your food looking for handouts. . . . .

• Like 2

be sure you have the correct owner.  my mother had some busy body complaining about her small dog relieving itself in the condo's courtyard, and we were getting nasty messages.  did I mention my mother was in the hospital before this happened and the dog was at my house the entire time?  the condo manager at least was apologetic when confronted with the false accusation.  (my mother was also pretty good about carrying bags to clean up after her dog.)

I think part of the reason my mother's dog was blamed was my mother's health had been failing  - and other residents had noticed.  (she ended up in a more appropriate setting.)

• Like 2

Yes, on the correct owner!  When our neighbors moved in kitty-corner to us (change that to whatever your dialect uses  ;) ) they let their dog roam around the neighborhood off-leash.  We started to get angry phone calls and messages.  Somehow it never occurred to the neighbors that we weren't the only ones who could ever own Springers!  I did talk to the correct owner who insisted his dog never left his sight.  I "innocently" asked him then if he knew that his dog was 3 doors over pooping in one of the neighbor's yard.  They now keep their dogs in their yard or take them out to the dog park.  

• Like 3

The owner whose dog ripped your car seats needs to pay to repair them. You should've shown him immediately though. Not sure he will believe you after the fact. I would've been freaking out! :(

This. 

She may have just said sorry because she didn't know he did damage. I *have* an overactive puppy (large GSD who, despite his size, is only 8 months old) - he jumps on things frequently and doesn't always damage them. I would expect somebody to tell me if he DID damage something (please tell me! I want to fix it!); I wouldn't automatically assume that he had, though. 

Of course, I would never let him out off leash, outside of a training session atmosphere, in our own yard, with his trainer right there.

OP... you NEED to post this on your neighborhood page... AND you need to go the head of your HOA (assuming you have one, since you have a leash rule in the neighborhood). This isn't any safer for the dogs, and neighborhood children, than it is for your poor yard and gutters! I would be LIVID if our neighbors did this. The ONLY dog off leash around here is a trained therapy dog who lives down the street... who happens to be a houdini and a wanderer... but she doesn't do anything at all destructive, she just breaks out and comes to visit while her owner is working (from owner's basement office, lol). 

• Like 2

One apartment complex around here uses (or used to anyway) a doggie dna company. I think you have to supply a sample from your dog when you add a dog to your lease. When "muffins" are not cleaned up, a sample of the muffin is sent in to find out who left it behind. The owner gets a bill. Sounds like a good way to curb muffins being dropped all over the place.

• Like 2

Wow. I would be stalking the dog park with a printed estimate for the damage repair cost.

Do you have a homeowners' association that could address this?

One apartment complex around here uses (or used to anyway) a doggie dna company. I think you have to supply a sample from your dog when you add a dog to your lease. When "muffins" are not cleaned up, a sample of the muffin is sent in to find out who left it behind. The owner gets a bill. Sounds like a good way to curb muffins being dropped all over the place.

This reminds me of something that happened on my block last year. I guess the homeowner got tired of little presents being left by his section of curb, so he took some large sticks and stabbed a series of day-glo signs, one next to each pile: CURB YOUR DOG

That worked surprisingly well, actually.

• Like 1

Often dog owners will call out, as their dog comes hurtling towards me, "He's friendly".  And I will call back, "My dog and I aren't!"  They do a double take at that but will leash their dog.  

Great answer. I don't have a dog, so I'll have to settle for replying, "I'm not!"

• Like 3

If you have a smart phone, try to get pictures of dogs off leash and in your yard. That way you can bring pictures to the HOA meetings or whatever. Or, post them on facebook. Get pictures of the stomped plants etc.

I live in a small city, near a big housing project and even I don't have dogs running around off leash. Lots of guys walking around with their pit bulls looking tough, but those dogs are on leashes.

• Like 1

You need to speak up.  If you don't want dogs in your yard, you need to tell the owners.  You don't have to have a reason why you don't want them there.  It is there job to keep their dogs under their control.  If their dogs are not reliable on voice commands, they need to be on leash.  You really should have spoken up about the dog ripping the seats in your car.  You don't have to be mean or unpleasant, just firm.

I have a dog.  A big, rambunctious, friendly dog.  I do my best to keep my dog from being anyone else's problem. If my dog causes problems, I make amends.  I have neighbors who don't mind if my dog pees on their property because they hope the marking will help keep critters away.  They have told me so.  I have neighbors who don't want my dog on their property at all.  One neighbor screamed at me out her back door when she thought my dog was peeing on her new grass.  (He wasn't even close to her property.)  All she had to do was calmly come up to me and ask that I keep my dog off her property and I would have assured her that I would keep him away. Now I unhappily comply- shooting mean looks at her house because she is just a big ole meanie.  She later blamed me for the coyote poop she found in her yard (if she had looked at the tracks in the snow, she would have seen that they came from the opposite side of her property.) 

• Like 1

We had that problem two years ago when we moved in.  I told the neighbors that I had a two year old and would shoot any dogs found on my property.  That ended the problem.

ETA: I don't hate dogs.  I have a giant Great Pyrenees that never, ever goes outside without a leash.  If I can leash my monster, they can leash theirs.

• Like 2

Dog poo DNA, who knew?

I thought I was the only one thinking that!  :D

I will say that there are some neighbors/people who just really do not get it or care no matter what action you take.  The shrug, "it's a dog, that's what they do".... a very DEEP denial of personal responsibility.  When we finally involved the authorities, they really believed it was *us* persecuting *them*.  Then they proceeded to curse out the policeman in their front yard.  :eek:

Happily, we moved soon.

• Like 1

Well, you're in the right, but standing up for yourself and your yard is going to cost you highly in goodwill and a happy neighborhood. IME, I would not risk that for something as simple as yard damage, or even the upholstery. I'd suck it up. I'd pay the bills, fix the stuff, grumble under my breath . . . And still, suck it up. Having angry, grumpy, glaring neighbors is much, much more misery-making than the dog damage. I've had grumpy neighbors in the past. I've had nice neighbors . . . I have a neighbor who walks his dog past my yard every dang day . ..  and lets them poop and pee there. Made all our snowmen pretty ugly . . . I. Suck. It. Up. It's SO NOT WORTH IT to have grumpy neighbors. Really. 

So, I'd get some motion activated sprinklers for the front yard. Or put up a fence along the roadside if permitted. 

Vent away, but think carefully before making enemies.

• Like 1

Well, you're in the right, but standing up for yourself and your yard is going to cost you highly in goodwill and a happy neighborhood. IME, I would not risk that for something as simple as yard damage, or even the upholstery. I'd suck it up. I'd pay the bills, fix the stuff, grumble under my breath . . . And still, suck it up. Having angry, grumpy, glaring neighbors is much, much more misery-making than the dog damage. I've had grumpy neighbors in the past. I've had nice neighbors . . . I have a neighbor who walks his dog past my yard every dang day . ..  and lets them poop and pee there. Made all our snowmen pretty ugly . . . I. Suck. It. Up. It's SO NOT WORTH IT to have grumpy neighbors. Really. 

So, I'd get some motion activated sprinklers for the front yard. Or put up a fence along the roadside if permitted. 

This is a very good point... it's why I recommended the OP contact her HOA and have them send out a reminder notice. The other is to call the pound... I assume you can do it anonymously???   But, I wholeheartedly agree.  It's sad it has to be this way, but I've heard stories here and elsewhere about miserable neighbor experiences.   It's not worth it anymore.

• Like 3

Loving all the great ideas! Plus I always learn something new here- doggie poo dna. Who knew?

I have sent an email to my HOA president to see if she can say something, post something or pop a little reminder in our newsletter.

We cannot have front fences. I have very mature trees all along the street. The only way in and out of my yard realistically is the driveway and that is how the dogs get in and out of my yard.

I agree that good neighbors are extremely important so I will be very careful. That is why I so appreciate being able to come here to get great ideas, vent and have yall sympathize! Thank you!!

• Like 1

Oh, just remembered this story from Sue Ailsby, who has it in her dog training levels to teach dogs to eliminate on cue.

"When I lived in the city, a man brought his Mini Poodle to poop on my lawn every single day right after lunch. The dog always stopped in the same part of my lawn, and the man always stood there watching the traffic and pretending it wasn't happening. Then he'd walk off, leaving the poop on my lawn. At first I thought I'd embarrass him by staring at him out my front window. No change. Then I sat on my front step and watched him. No change. Finally, I yelled at him to at least pick it up. No change. Finally, on a day when I had my three Giant Schnauzers and two belonging to friends at my house, I watched him allow his dog to poop on my lawn and walk on. When he was a few houses down the block, I came out of the house with all five Giants on leash. He lived about 8 blocks away, and we followed him all the way home, staying about a quarter of a block back. When he went in his house, we stopped on his lawn and, on cue, ALL FIVE Giant Schnauzers dumped on his lawn, with him watching out the window. When they were done, I smiled and bowed to him, and we went home. I don't know whose lawn that dog pooped on after that, but it wasn't mine."

http://sue-eh.ca/page24/page26/styled-3/

• Like 12

OP, she's right.  Don't talk to the neighbors.  Just shoot the dog and bury it quietly.  When they come looking for the dog you can even give them tea and sympathy. 

• Like 5

This is a very good point... it's why I recommended the OP contact her HOA and have them send out a reminder notice. The other is to call the pound... I assume you can do it anonymously???   But, I wholeheartedly agree.  It's sad it has to be this way, but I've heard stories here and elsewhere about miserable neighbor experiences.   It's not worth it anymore.

Are there HOA's that deal with pet issues? We always live in an HOA neighborhood. None of them ever dealt with pet issues. Those were always under the jurisdiction of the local govt's Animal Control dept. This would have been in three different states, and five different HOA neighborhoods.

• Like 1

OP, she's right. Don't talk to the neighbors. Just shoot the dog and bury it quietly. When they come looking for the dog you can even give them tea and sympathy.

Bwahahahaha! Your comment actually made me spit out my coffee from laughing!! Lol!!

Are there HOA's that deal with pet issues? We always live in an HOA neighborhood. None of them ever dealt with pet issues. Those were always under the jurisdiction of the local govt's Animal Control dept. This would have been in three different states, and five different HOA neighborhoods.

My HOA did a lot of shaming and reminding people about the local leash laws and regulations regarding clean up. It took about a year or 2, but the enough people were shamed and the neighbors with and without pets get along well again. Really, it only takes a couple bad ones to make all dog owners suspect, so, I think the good ones started adding shame on the bad ones too. 

• Like 1

My HOA did a lot of shaming and reminding people about the local leash laws and regulations regarding clean up. It took about a year or 2, but the enough people were shamed and the neighbors with and without pets get along well again. Really, it only takes a couple bad ones to make all dog owners suspect, so, I think the good ones started adding shame on the bad ones too. 

Aah.......... our HOA does do reminders of local law and "being nice" neighbors via their newsletter. But actual complaints get a referral to the local Animal Control folks.

• Like 1

I don't think it's being a grumpy neighbour to ask for the dog's owner to pay for damages. You don't have to be rude about it, just politely matter of fact. It's not the OPs fault someone else's dog damaged her car. Perhaps the HOA could be consulted on how to approach the owners, but I don't believe the best thing is to sweep it under the rug.

• Like 3

I don't think it's being a grumpy neighbour to ask for the dog's owner to pay for damages. You don't have to be rude about it, just politely matter of fact. It's not the OPs fault someone else's dog damaged her car. Perhaps the HOA could be consulted on how to approach the owners, but I don't believe the best thing is to sweep it under the rug.

Yeah, I don't think speaking up is making enemies.  We are not talking about making threats.  We are simply about standing up for our rights as homeowners.  Not speaking up is not about making peace, when the OP is seething while everyone else walks all over her. 

I have a neighbor who's dog was getting out and pooping in my yard.  Once I found out who he belonged to, I went to them and told them that their dog is getting out and pooping in my yard.  I put it in terms of "I'm not sure you are aware that your dog is getting loose", but I was pleasant but very firm about wanting that to stop.  I always picked up after my dog right away and did not like these surprises in my yard.  Plus, my dog has a penchant for eating other dogs' poop and it makes him sick.  I have not seen that dog in my yard since then. 

Before we were dog owners, I had a neighbor who worked long hours.  She had two very cute dogs and my then toddler daughter was in love with them.  When my neighbor was working late or out of town, her boyfriend would come over to take care of the dogs.  Dd's window was right near her back yard.  Unfortunately, he would let them out just as dd was falling asleep.  Because these were not quiet dogs, once she heard them, she bolt right up in bed saying "DOGGIES."  It would take another 45 minutes to get her calmed down enough to fall asleep.  I talked to my neighbor and asked her if she could arrange that her dogs go out earlier or later than that particular time.  Because I talked to her nicely she was more than willing to brainstorm ways to help dd get to bed easily and not inconvenience them too much. 

• Like 3