Menu

VIP (Very Important Poll)

Snickerdoodle

Tater tots or home fries, I reach for.....  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Condiments:

• Ketchup
    • Mustard
    • Mayo
    • Ranch
    • Sriracha
    • Tabasco
    • BBQ
    • A combo (explain)
    • Other (explain)
    • None
    • I'm too highbrow to eat tater tots/fries
    • gravy

If we're talking about french fries and not just tater tots or home fries...

Well, french fries are also terrific with just salt or salt & vinegar, but they also make a great base for poutine...

I was wondering if people from elsewhere (I'm from Canada) eat poutine. Fries with brown gravy, cheese curds, and sometimes vinegar. Especially good topped with shredded short ribs.

Is poutine available in other countries?

• Like 1

I was wondering if people from elsewhere (I'm from Canada) eat poutine. Fries with brown gravy, cheese curds, and sometimes vinegar. Especially good topped with shredded short ribs.

Good poutine isn't here, but some places try.  We get our fix at least once per year when we head to Canada.  I grew up on the border (US side) so consider myself a dual citizen even if it technically isn't true.  I have noticed I have several more Canadian than American traits - and I like it that way!

• Like 1

I voted for ketchup because it's what I turn to more frequently, but some of my alternatives:

French Fries: malt vinegar or mayo sometimes

breakfast potatoes: mustard or hot sauce

tater tots - don't eat these much, but ketchup or sour cream

My husband is Quebecois, so I know what poutine is supposed to taste like, and no, we do not have it in the States.

• Like 1

I actually saw it on a menu in a little town on the Queensland coast. I hope to go back and order some one day, but I didn't see it until after I'd ordered their (apparently) award winning crab sandwich. I just know my life will not be complete until I've eaten poutine.

• Like 1

I replied combo.  It really depends on the form of fried potatoes and who prepared them (they can vary widely).  Chic-fil-a waffle fries: salt, pepper, mayo.  Arby's curly fries: horsey sauce!  Tater tots baked on a pan in my oven: salt & pepper, much of the time with ketchup (or catsup, if you prefer that spelling).  Other seasonings and condiments are fair game if they are on offer or being served with the accompanying other foods.  I haven't tried vinegar yet, but I guess I should!

But my favorite is potatoes roasted in my oven, usually with a bit of oil, salt & pepper, and whatever other seasonings I feel like when I make them.  Tarragon is great, or oregano, marjoram, even sage....  Whatever goes into what else is being served!

We put a tiny sprinkle of salt on the home made chips, but no sauce/dippy stuff. 
Tater tots, we have never actually made them. If we did I'd imagine we'd have them with sweet chilli sauce and sour cream, same as potato wedges.

ETA: OK just realized that 'home fries' doesn't mean normal fries made at home, but something more like baked potatoes. So, we normally only have those with roasts, and the kids usually put gravy on them.

Tater tots - forget them

Home fries -not sure what style you mean.... if the little cubes fried up - nothing. Larger - ketchup.

French fries - ketchup. Or ketchup and vinegar if good quality fries.

But, being Canadian - I also like a good Poutine - especially with bacon added!

Tater tots - forget them

Home fries -not sure what style you mean.... if the little cubes fried up - nothing. Larger - ketchup.

French fries - ketchup. Or ketchup and vinegar if good quality fries.

But, being Canadian - I also like a good Poutine - especially with bacon added!

I voted ketchup and other. It depends on my mood. There are a couple of scenarios that decide what I have with tater tots and fries.

1. I am in a British mood and have malt vinegar.

2. Just ketchup becasue it is simple.

3. We are having chicken nuggets with them so I need honey mustard.

4. Nothing. Most likely because I am driving and I can't use a condiment.

I am total Pacific Northwest!  We put either ketchup or ranch on everything!  For me, if there is already salt on the item then I go with ketchup, but no salt means I go for the ranch.

My husband is very much southern.  He only eats ketchup if it is mixed with mayo.  He thinks all my ketchup and ranch eating (and our son's) is rather gross. 

Yes! Though I'll add BBQ sauce to you ketchup and ranch. Fry sauce? Ewww. 

I was just about to say the same thing. He must be a transplant. I'm Georgia southern with deep roots. I never heard of mixing mayo and ketchup for fries until I moved to Utah as a young adult. It *should* be a southern thing bc we sure love mayo.

It's a Louisiana bayou thing.  They do it spicy and non spicy (though you are considered a wimp).  Really common in French Cajun areas.  Eaten with Crawfish a lot.