Menu

VIP (Very Important Poll)

Snickerdoodle

Tater tots or home fries, I reach for.....  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Condiments:

• Ketchup
    • Mustard
    • Mayo
    • Ranch
    • Sriracha
    • Tabasco
    • BBQ
    • A combo (explain)
    • Other (explain)
    • None
    • I'm too highbrow to eat tater tots/fries
    • gravy

I am total Pacific Northwest!  We put either ketchup or ranch on everything!  For me, if there is already salt on the item then I go with ketchup, but no salt means I go for the ranch.

My husband is very much southern.  He only eats ketchup if it is mixed with mayo.  He thinks all my ketchup and ranch eating (and our son's) is rather gross. 

• Like 1

I am total Pacific Northwest! We put either ketchup or ranch on everything! For me, if there is already salt on the item then I go with ketchup, but no salt means I go for the ranch.

My husband is very much southern. He only eats ketchup if it is mixed with mayo. He thinks all my ketchup and ranch eating (and our son's) is rather gross.

I don't know any southerner that mixes ketchup with mayo (unless they have some of both on a hamburger). Not for fried potato dipping. I'm sure there are southerners who do it, but I would not characterize it as a southern thing.

• Like 1

I don't know any southerner that mixes ketchup with mayo (unless they have some of both on a hamburger). Not for fried potato dipping. I'm sure there are southerners who do it, but I would not characterize it as a southern thing.

I was just about to say the same thing. He must be a transplant. I'm Georgia southern with deep roots. I never heard of mixing mayo and ketchup for fries until I moved to Utah as a young adult. It *should* be a southern thing bc we sure love mayo.

• Like 1

Location and mood and type of fries matter to me.

Tots: ketchup or ranch or fry sauce or just seasoning salt

Breakfast potatoes: ketchup + Tabasco

McDonald's fries: ketchup

Winger's: Original Amazing Sauce + ranch or BBQ

Arby's curly: horsey

Del Taco: 1 part ketchup, 2 parts Del Scorcho

Burger King: yucky fries--onion rings only!

Carl's Jr. crinkle cut: BBQ

What can I say? I'm complicated like that :)

• Like 1

I was just about to say the same thing. He must be a transplant. I'm Georgia southern with deep roots. I never heard of mixing mayo and ketchup for fries until I moved to Utah as a young adult. It *should* be a southern thing bc we sure love mayo.

It's big in Idaho too. Arctic Circle has it in a dispenser along with ketchup. You can even get it at some big franchise places that don't officially offer it, like McDonald's. I remember going on a youth group trip as a teen; we baffled the McDonald's clerk in NM with our request for fry sauce. "You mean ketchup?" he asked. When we explained he asked every employee in the place about it because he thought we were so odd! None of them had heard of it.

If we're talking about hash browns instead of french fries, then I'm going to have to take my vote back because I don't particularly care for either hash browns or tator tots. If I do eat hash browns, I just want them with eggs and lots of pepper.

I'm from The Netherlands, so traditionally, mayo. But that's often not available here in NY, so ketchup. Other things I've done include apple sauce, peanut sauce, mayo mixed with ketchup, mayo mixed with applesauce, mayo and ketchup mixed with applesauce.

Applesauce can go with almost anything! Chili with applesauce, bami goreng with applesauce, pasta (either alfredo or with some sort of tomato sauce) with applesauce.. :)

ETA: I thought home fries were more like steak fries. W/e. Tator tots could be with any of the above, except maybe peanut sauce.

I clicked on ketchup, but if I'm out of the homemade variety, I'd rather make some gravy than head for the supermarket.

If I have extra potatoes when I'm making biscuits 'n gravy, I'll usually make homefries to go with them and have enough gravy for both.

Do I get extra "white trash" points for vegan gravy made from the water i cooked last night's beans in? ;)

I would want ketchup but would eat ranch instead because I am allergic to ketchup.   :thumbdown:

I would only eat a couple because I would remember that I don't like ranch after just one or two and find something else to eat.  LOL :lol:

Where I live, it's fry sauce. A strange mixture of ketchup and mayo, sometimes with a little pickle relish mixed in. Sounds disgusting, but actually quite good!

This sounds a little like Thousand Island Dressing, which I like.

I voted ketchup, though ranch dressing would be a close second.

It's big in Idaho too. Arctic Circle has it in a dispenser along with ketchup. You can even get it at some big franchise places that don't officially offer it, like McDonald's. I remember going on a youth group trip as a teen; we baffled the McDonald's clerk in NM with our request for fry sauce. "You mean ketchup?" he asked. When we explained he asked every employee in the place about it because he thought we were so odd! None of them had heard of it.

Ok, now I need to know what fry sauce is.

I need a dictionary of Americana, apparently.

Depending on my mood and what else I am eating, I frequently use ketchup, or a ketchup mix (ketchup plus one any one of the following: Worchestershire sauce, Sriracha, Tabasco, horseradish sauce, mayo), spicy mustard, ranch or BBQ sauce. I've experimented with mayo and wasabi. Often, fries are just an excuse to get sauce into my face. I am not a fan of vinegar or gravy on fries.