• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

But no crust. And I don't make my own pie crust...because I just don't...lol.

Because this girl likes her tiaras!

Me neither.

And duh - why won't they just get us the tiaras we deserve?

It may interest you to know that we often take road trips to each other's homes, depending on whose got a good dinner going, or something else that we are in need of. Or to use our elephant ninja skills in someone's defence. I have a stealth helicopter that is good for a ride, and I NEVER pilot it while intoxicated.

And as a side note, I especially puffy heart all y'all today because I have been wracked with anxiety for two days now, and I am finally feeling at ease. Might even sleep later. :D

• Like 9

Ditto. I get too emotionally invested and end up shaking and feeling out of control. (I do control myself, but inside, I am usually not thinking nice thoughts.)

Trust me, I was shaking (at least my voice, and me on the inside) when I called down to the office to get the kid who looked me in the eye and smacked me in my face. When the VP came in, I walked away. I was done. The poor other kids didn't even get the story I was about to read because by the time it was all over, it was time to go home.

• Like 1

My kids are so sarcastic. I'm almost ashamed. They had no chance in this family to be otherwise.

:)

Dd9 met up with a neighbor kid she hadn't seen for a while and said he was growing up to be pretty cool like dd17. I asked her what was cool about him, and she said, "Well, you know it's his sarcasm skills. They're getting pretty good." :D

• Like 8

Whew.

Vacationing is hard work.  Of course, I am also acting as tour director for a 13 year old child, a 73 year old woman, and a 60 year old infant man.  Yikes.  Thank goodness we get one free drink at the hotel bar happy hour per day.  No one has died and the duct tape is still in the suitcase.

• Like 8

HAHAHA!!!  Sarcasm is an art, I tell ya!  But in the hands of a too smart for his own good 9 yr old...not so much.  I told him he's not allowed to use sarcasm until he's learned how to use it wisely...and that he'll need a special sarcasm license for it.  Obtainable when he's 25.  

Some of these little ones have very poor coping skills.  When I asked the little guy why he threw scissors at his teacher, he said, "Because I don't want to be here."  I looked him right in the eye and told him, "I don't want to be here either.  I'd rather be at home watching TV.  But I have to come here just like you do.  And I don't throw scissors at people."

ETA: This post is in reference to Renai's class, not in reference to Slache's and Sweetpea's boys.  The post just showed up in a weird place.  

So...going back to all seriousness...

These comments are reminding me of the time I spent working for a pre-K and Kindergarten in a disadvantaged area.  Fresh out of college with a still wet teaching certification/license.  Ready to change little lives and impart knowledge!

My first day...my very first day...they plunked this adorable little boy in front of me. 4 yrs old...curly brown hair...biggest, brownest eyes.  Sweetest looking little boy with the most adorable little lisp.  He even had a "holy" name to go with his angelic appearance.  They stood him in front of me and said, "This is ______.  Today is his first day back from suspension!"

Whut?

Well that boy and I...we had a go.  He was Jekyll and Hyde.  One minute he was sweet as can be...the next, he's throwing desks, chairs, garbage cans...biting, spitting, you name it.  He was the first kid I had to learn TCI tactics for (Therapeutic Crisis Intervention) and let me tell you...trying to do a basket hold on him was like trying to do a basket hold on a freaking octopus.  

He was a handful...and he was only one of several.  Another kid in the class was as bad, if not worse...AND...not so cute or sweet.  Very manipulative.  He was 100% in control of himself...but he CHOSE to give you a hard time.  And he'd tell you to your face that he was choosing.  Or he'd sit there and be all, "Hmm...how am I going to behave today?  Good?  Nope."  

It was through that experience, and a few different twists and turns in the trail...that I ended up at a group home for behaviorally disordered kids ages 6-12.  These were the kids that could not be in foster home because of violent behavior or other serious issues.  Some of them were in mainstream public school classes....one of them had a 1:1 from our program that attended school with her.  

Other than raising and educating my own children, that job was probably the most difficult career I've ever held...difficult and incredibly rewarding.  

But I am so thankful I'm not in that environment any longer...lol.  I just don't have the doe-eyed patience any longer to deal with the behavior.  

• Like 6

Some of these little ones have very poor coping skills.  When I asked the little guy why he threw scissors at his teacher, he said, "Because I don't want to be here."  I looked him right in the eye and told him, "I don't want to be here either.  I'd rather be at home watching TV.  But I have to come here just like you do.  And I don't throw scissors at people."

ETA: This post is in reference to Renai's class, not in reference to Slache's and Sweetpea's boys.  The post just showed up in a weird place.   :)

So...going back to all seriousness...

These comments are reminding me of the time I spent working for a pre-K and Kindergarten in a disadvantaged area.  Fresh out of college with a still wet teaching certification/license.  Ready to change little lives and impart knowledge!

My first day...my very first day...they plunked this adorable little boy in front of me. 4 yrs old...curly brown hair...biggest, brownest eyes.  Sweetest looking little boy with the most adorable little lisp.  He even had a "holy" name to go with his angelic appearance.  They stood him in front of me and said, "This is ______.  Today is his first day back from suspension!"

Whut?

Well that boy and I...we had a go.  He was Jekyll and Hyde.  One minute he was sweet as can be...the next, he's throwing desks, chairs, garbage cans...biting, spitting, you name it.  He was the first kid I had to learn TCI tactics for (Therapeutic Crisis Intervention) and let me tell you...trying to do a basket hold on him was like trying to do a basket hold on a freaking octopus.  

He was a handful...and he was only one of several.  Another kid in the class was as bad, if not worse...AND...not so cute or sweet.  Very manipulative.  He was 100% in control of himself...but he CHOSE to give you a hard time.  And he'd tell you to his face that he was choosing.  Or he'd sit there and be all, "Hmm...how am I going to behave today?  Good?  Nope."  

It was through that experience, and a few different twists and turns in the trail...that I ended up at a group home for behaviorally disordered kids ages 6-12.  These were the kids that could not be in foster home because of violent behavior or other serious issues.  Some of them were in mainstream public school classes....one of them had a 1:1 from our program that attended school with her.  

Other than raising and educating my own children, that job was probably the most difficult career I've ever held...difficult and incredibly rewarding.  

But I am so thankful I'm not in that environment any longer...lol.  I just don't have the doe-eyed patience any longer to deal with the behavior.  

• Like 5

HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY, ITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:

ETA:  East Coast Birthday BOOYAH!!!!!!!!!

Also ETA:  The forums clock is off by almost 6 7 minutes.  

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 10

I would gently take her by the arm and help her get up and start putting away the toys.

When she says she has to play with the toys first, she is telling you that she has no intention of obeying. You must help her understand that yes, she must obey her parents (and by extension, other adults in authority).

Since this is ITT, I don't expect to be blasted for believing that it is important to teach children obedience, but just in case, I have my flame-proof armor all ready to go.

Your method it perfectly gentle direction. I often ended up firming my grip or redirecting physically by making her do things. I am glad I did. I truly believe my strong willed child is who she is in PART because when it mattered I chose to take a stand for authoritative parenting and teaching some degree of (not blind) obedience. They test at that age. They need to understand that their loving parents are in charge and won't back down when it comes to health and safety, and that family is as important as the individual. That plays out very differently in each family and it can be very challenging!

Edit: holy autocorrect, batman. I meant, "Your method is perfectly gentle direction..."

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 3

HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY, ITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA:  East Coast Birthday BOOYAH!!!!!!!!!

Also ETA:  The forums clock is off by almost 6 7 minutes.  

Wow, Pi day, I got a house, and all kinds of stuff today. Plus this thread. Woot.

• Like 7

I have a creek. Technically I don't because it belongs to the crown. But yeah, it snakes through our lot. There's a fair bit of slope too so it pools and waterfalls. The raccoons use it as their highway. Birds bathe in it too...

It's a green belt of mature evergreens too and it's a protected riparian zone so the vegetation is protected for 30m on either side. We have a new neighbour who thought he'd be able to come and have some of the trees cut. Ha, good luck dude and over my dead body because I've got the city arborist and the provincial environment rep on speed dial... I look at this area and it's like this gorgeous little forest nook in the middle of a city and this jerk wants to chop things down and build monster houses :(

• Like 7

Today I went to Pi Day at our Middle School to help as a volunteer.

One student won first-prize by memorizing over 1400 digits of Pi. The local news shows up to cover the annual event. Kind of a big deal.

In related news, my kid won a Pi hat for coming in second in the pie eating contest. I'm so proud :D

Bill

• Like 14

I think that's what's happening here. Matt and I just had a talk. We're going to be faster to discipline and have a half hour of structured fun like painting or bookmaking. We don't want to crack without something pleasant in place. Her life shouldn't be terrible just because I screwed up.

Be careful of this.  You cannot parent perfectly.  She will sometimes think her life is terrible even if you do.  You can't control all the consequences of the mistakes you make (or the mistakes she makes).  Don't let it effect your parenting judgement or induce you to make things softer for her.  Be gracious and kind and loving for sure.  But over compensating for parenting mistakes (or for anything you perceive lacking in her life) will backfire in ways you might not have thought.  It jumped out at me because I am prone to this. 

ETA:  I know you didn't mean that as literally as I took it.  Structure is always a positive thing.  Just don't do Mommy-guilt. 

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 13

Ancient Africa geography

Western Africa geography

And "Tell me about the songhai".

At least I think! It is a blur. I am most definitely not a memory master. :-)

Took dd to Barnes and Noble for awhile. I saw a girl and her mom. They were reviewing for memory master. 

And I apologize if my comments are out of sequence...lol.  I'm having terrible internet issues lately!  No idea what the heck it is...all I know is I need to get on gardener.almanac.whatever it is so I can make a garden calendar!  

Nothing is out of sequence on ITT. Nothing is "random" or "off topic". :)

• Like 4

So...the kids are still sleeping.  As they should be...lol.  I have a webinar training today for Prodigy Math.  Kind of nervous...never done the whole webinar thing . But I like the program so...it should be fun.  

Tried so hard to get my garden plans buttoned up last night.  But by 12:30 my eyes were drooping and....well at least I got most of it done.  I just need to fill in my calendar and find where I'm going to get seeds/plants.  

Have a happy schooling day everyone!  

• Like 4

Be careful of this. You cannot parent perfectly. She will sometimes think her life is terrible even if you do. You can't control all the consequences of the mistakes you make (or the mistakes she makes). Don't let it effect your parenting judgement or induce you to make things softer for her. Be gracious and kind and loving for sure. But over compensating for parenting mistakes (or for anything you perceive lacking in her life) will backfire in ways you might not have thought. It jumped out at me because I am prone to this.

ETA: I know you didn't mean that as literally as I took it. Structure is always a positive thing. Just don't do Mommy-guilt.

I completely agree with Lynn. My oldest is extremely difficult to parent. Extremely. No one who knows us would ever describe either dh or I as having an anger problem, or even quick to anger, yet this child has driven us both.... really quite crazy. I have perfected the art of the apology with this child, but he is seriously the type of child who could get Mother Teresa to scream at him, if she were around him long enough. And from your brief description, it sounds like she's a typical, but strong-willed three year old. And mommy-guilt is ugly and destructive. It feeds on your mind and yu end up going to bed every night feeling guilty for your parenting mistakes, and defeated and a failure as a parent. I am finally starting to get a grip on this, realizing that he is the problem. Not that I don't have to work on myself and my reactions, but reminding myself that I am doing the best that I can, but he does share responsibility in his choices and actions. And I realize that your girl is much much younger than my child, and that being older now, my boy does share more responsibility, but the parent mindset is the same. Anyhow, sorry to dump all that on you!
  • Like 6

Happppppy Birthdaaaay! (Said in the violence of Frosty the Snowman when he comes to life:-)

:party:

Speech, speech, you say? Why certainly!

On this fine morning in history, I stand before you all to say thank you. Thank you for being awesome elephant ninja chicks. Thank you for making me laugh at loud, or at least chuckle under my breath often. Thank you for being as close to sisters as one can have in a non-IRL relationship.

You are all beautiful, sweet, smart, and wicked cool, and my life is better for having known you.

I think sometimes today everyone should post their speech. And we need cupcakes. And champagne. (N/A for those who abstain, of course.) And SWB should definitely stop by... Because we are apparently all her besties.

:wub: to all!

• Like 12

There will be cake later today. The boys and I are going to bake a yellow layer cake with chocolate frosting for MIL. It's her birthday today. We are so lucky to have her.

It's a good day to be happy for friends and family.  :001_smile:

• Like 10

Be careful of this. You cannot parent perfectly. She will sometimes think her life is terrible even if you do. You can't control all the consequences of the mistakes you make (or the mistakes she makes). Don't let it effect your parenting judgement or induce you to make things softer for her. Be gracious and kind and loving for sure. But over compensating for parenting mistakes (or for anything you perceive lacking in her life) will backfire in ways you might not have thought. It jumped out at me because I am prone to this.

ETA: I know you didn't mean that as literally as I took it. Structure is always a positive thing. Just don't do Mommy-guilt.

AnotherLynn, I am totally in the same page as you. Their personalities are what they are.

Slache is facing the classic "easy first" syndrome. Her amazing parenting resulted in such a wonderful baby as John. Where did she "go wrong" with Mary? That's the question parents with easy-first syndrome ask.

The answer is:

Easy =/= better, and good parenting =/= easy kids. You didn't cause John to be amazing--he just is. And you didn't cause Mary to be amazing (the kind of Amazing that, at three, makes the mom want to start drinking heavily). She just is.

Kids are who they are. Horrible parents can do damage but mostly good most of the time parents mostly work out even if you have a fighter.

• Like 9

For those of us who do abstain from champagne...I propose we have bottles of that awesome bubbly carbonated juice stuff...sparkling juice or whatever it is.  

Oh and apparently....Google can't make up its mind on the booya/h controversy.  

Booyah_Bear_by_graciehz.png

(Sniff...my very first BOOYA!!!  BOOYAH!!!  Whatever!!!!)

Edited by Sweetpea3829
  • Like 13