Menu

Ignore this thread!

Some things are worthy of tears. The content of The Hiding Place makes the list. IMO, the real "hero" in that story is her sister. Her character was unimpeachable. I am more a Corrie Ten Boom kinda gal so I was humbled reading her sister's heart towards their circumstances and her words and actions.

Oh, I totally agree with you! Betsy's attitude, her faith in spite of all her circumstances.... she was truly amazing.
  • Like 3

Some things are worthy of tears.  The content of The Hiding Place makes the list.  IMO, the real "hero" in that story is her sister.  Her character was unimpeachable.  I am more a Corrie Ten Boom kinda gal so I was humbled reading her sister's heart towards their circumstances and her words and actions.

I have always identified with Corrie more than Betsie. Betsie's ability to see and make the good in every circumstance is indeed humbling. 

One of my favorite biographies, aside from The Hiding Place, is Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of WWII. It's about Darlene Deibler Rose and her time in Japanese prison camps in the jungles of New Guinea. 

• Like 2

I have always identified with Corrie more than Betsie. Betsie's ability to see and make the good in every circumstance is indeed humbling. 

One of my favorite biographies, aside from The Hiding Place, is Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of WWII. It's about Darlene Deibler Rose and her time in Japanese prison camps in the jungles of New Guinea. 

Ok, talking biographies, has anyone heard of this one? The main character was a female, and the only thing I remember clearly is that she remembered long passages of scripture, whole books of the old and new testaments, preparing for her Bible to eventually be taken away. She also spent many years in prison because of her faith. It was set somewhere in either China or Japan, I think, around the time of the Communists taking over. I think. It was almost 20 years ago when I read the biography.

• Like 2

Critter, I'm sure you won't turn away a stray for hot beef stew with buttered toast followed by peaches and cream, right? 

Of course not! That would be downright un-southern. 

Regarding football--I regard that as an invite to change the channel. Or put on a BBC documentary. :laugh:

Among my favorite works of enlightenment in the face of horrible circumstances--a section of The Gulag Archipelago called The Soul and the Barbed Wire. Powerful stuff.

• Like 3

Why would dh put on football (which he knows I don't watch) and then leave?

My dh always turns on the tv on anything and walks away. Then when he comes back, he wonders why I've changed the channel. I'm like, "Dude, you went to the bathroom to shave and shower. You really expected the channel to stay on x-boring channel?"

Yeah. Anyway...

• Like 4

Somewhere there is a balance between not correcting another adult and not letting that adult do the same to you while still being polite. Being polite does not necessarily mean not addressing someone else's rude behavior; you may not be rude back, but you may state things clearly. For example, when RG made the comment about the clips, you could have said sweetly, "I like to let children have some input about how their own bodies look. Would you pass me the bobby pin please?" Sometimes you can say something like "Thanks for sharing that" and move on. In some circumstances, I can even go with your holding up your hand and telling him that you are not discussing it further. There's always the open-mouthed, wide-eyed stare if he says something truly rude, and you don't say anything back until he figures out that he has been rude.

Very wise. I do think this is what I'm going for.
  • Like 3

Dd is currently running around buck-naked singing about "super hero butts". I told her that it wasn't lady like to sing about butts. Her response is that "super hero butts kill boys dead" and then proceeds to act like she is shooting rays out of her booty. 

My Southern belle mother will NOT be hearing of this. She would be mortified.

Me? I'm just sitting here wondering where in heck she comes up with this stuff. 

It comes from her super hero butt. 

:lol:

• Like 8

I am bored! This football game is not horribly exciting, I'm baking bread, which I always do on Sunday afternoon, I suppose we will have burgers for dinner since I don't know what else to make and am not motivated to cook anything. And there's nothing interesting on the Internet. And my baby came up to me and told me she wants to change her name to Lindsey. Anyone else in ITT land doing anything interesting? Maybe I can live vicariously through you!

• Like 3

The headache persists.  Skipped church because by watching online I can control the volume.  And I don't have to be pleasant.  

Cooked all the meat in the fridge that was going to go bad.  Took a nap.  Watched some football.

Getting ready to put the littles to bed and then watch the Democratic debate with the high schoolers.  (Not making a political statement; we watched the Republican debate as well.)  In fact, we've watched most of them at ds15 and dd13's request.  

• Like 3

Just checkin' in to see if there's anything interesting going on.

Sorry about your headache, Junie!

The headache isn't raging today...  It's just there.  I'm very sensitive to light and sound.   Not fun when there are six kids in the house.

Neurologist visit at the beginning of February, so maybe I'll get some help then.

• Like 4

The headache isn't raging today... It's just there. I'm very sensitive to light and sound. Not fun when there are six kids in the house.

Neurologist visit at the beginning of February, so maybe I'll get some help then.

Have they recently been getting worse? My male friend in his 40s has had the same problem. Always suffered with migraines, light and noise sensitivity, recently become more frequent and more severe. Is that you?

Have they recently been getting worse? My male friend in his 40s has had the same problem. Always suffered with migraines, light and noise sensitivity, recently become more frequent and more severe. Is that you?

Yes, they started getting worse about 8 months ago, and then last month they got even worse, to the point that it just won't completely go away.  The pain is not always bad; it just is always there, threatening to get worse...

Yes, they started getting worse about 8 months ago, and then last month they got even worse, to the point that it just won't completely go away. The pain is not always bad; it just is always there, threatening to get worse...

That sounds like him. He's going to the doctor this week. I'll let you know if he finds anything out.
  • Like 1

PSA: "Girl Scout Thin Mint Creamer" does not in any way, shape or form come close to the perfection that is Peppermint Mocha Creamer. I had hopes, but alas.... I must wait until next Christmas.

My absolute favorite creamer is seasonal - Salted Caramel Mocha. You can rarely find it and when you do, you buy it in mass. I've been known to buy 12 bottles to hoard. *hides in shame* 

For awhile, only my mom could find them, so she'd buy a lot for me. Now, she can't find it and I can, so I stock her up. 

There is nothing even remotely close to it during the "off season". :( 

No school tomorrow. Yay.

I wish that was my post. 

We have professional development and I have to sit and listen to some guy talk about proficiency scales (aka: giving the kids 1, 2, 3, 4 instead of As, Bs, Cs, Ds.). In theory, I like the idea. I think it gives the kids great insight into what they're missing and how they're doing in class. 

8 hours of the same topic? Yeah, I'd rather gargle broken glass. 

Yes, they started getting worse about 8 months ago, and then last month they got even worse, to the point that it just won't completely go away.  The pain is not always bad; it just is always there, threatening to get worse...

Is there nothing that the drs can do? 

• Like 3

I am bored! This football game is not horribly exciting, I'm baking bread, which I always do on Sunday afternoon, I suppose we will have burgers for dinner since I don't know what else to make and am not motivated to cook anything. And there's nothing interesting on the Internet. And my baby came up to me and told me she wants to change her name to Lindsey. Anyone else in ITT land doing anything interesting? Maybe I can live vicariously through you!

We had an unusually non-boring day:  This morning we played hooky from Sunday School (because still in mourning over the Packers game), then survived the Pre-K class during church (it was actually a lot of fun and probably better than trying to stay awake through a service after our late night). Then the kids' "adopted grandparents" came by for homemade pizza and a game night, which was loads of fun topped off with this and vanilla ice cream.   

And dh has MLK Day off, so we all have MLK Day off.   Yay!

ETA:  I forgot to mention that the this was absolute perfection. I have a similar recipe from a PA Dutch cookbook that used to be my favorite, but this one tops it by a long shot.  

Edited by Lotsoflittleducklings
  • Like 5

Just checkin' in to see if there's anything interesting going on.

Sorry about your headache, Junie!

Church (played for both services so it was a long morning), then Aldi (because we are out of bread, butter, and milk, and I don't make any of those things myself), then Joann to buy ribbons for chore charts, then home to put stuff away, worked on chore cards, dinner, family movie (Little Boy), and now I am waiting for the laminator to heat up. And waiting. And waiting. Maybe it's broken.

We are supposed to have lessons tomorrow, but dh is off work and is taking ds20 back to the university and ds will be packing his stuff back up, so I'm not sure how much we will actually get done.

• Like 4

We had an unusually non-boring day:  This morning we played hooky from Sunday School (because still in mourning over the Packers game), then survived the Pre-K class during church (it was actually a lot of fun and probably better than trying to stay awake through a service after our late night). Then the kids' "adopted grandparents" came by for homemade pizza and a game night, which was loads of fun topped off with this and vanilla ice cream.   

And dh has MLK Day off, so we all have MLK Day off.   Yay!

ETA:  I forgot to mention that the this was absolute perfection. I have a similar recipe from a PA Dutch cookbook that used to be my favorite, but this one tops it by a long shot.  

Have you tried these? Something tells me you'll like them. 

;)

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 2

We had an unusually non-boring day: This morning we played hooky from Sunday School (because still in mourning over the Packers game), then survived the Pre-K class during church (it was actually a lot of fun and probably better than trying to stay awake through a service after our late night). Then the kids' "adopted grandparents" came by for homemade pizza and a game night, which was loads of fun topped off with this and vanilla ice cream.

And dh has MLK Day off, so we all have MLK Day off. Yay!

ETA: I forgot to mention that the this was absolute perfection. I have a similar recipe from a PA Dutch cookbook that used to be my favorite, but this one tops it by a long shot.

That does sound like a good day. I'm sorry for your loss (Packers! That was a truly amazing last 12 seconds of regulation play). The brownies look wonderful. I may have to try that. We have MLK day off, too. Usually we don't take it, but now that DS is in b&m school, we take it. Oh well.
  • Like 4

My OB offered to put me on birth control meds to try to treat my headaches.   (They usually come just before my cycle begins, so the headaches are likely hormone related.)  However, I have never used birth control methods of any type for religious reasons*, so I'd rather look for another treatment. 

*No, I'm not Catholic.  I'm a very weird Baptist.  ;)

• Like 3

My OB offered to put me on birth control meds to try to treat my headaches.   (They usually come just before my cycle begins, so the headaches are likely hormone related.)  However, I have never used birth control methods of any type for religious reasons*, so I'd rather look for another treatment. 

*No, I'm not Catholic.  I'm a very weird Baptist.   ;)

Are there hormonal treatments other than BC? I was on BC from 10 or 11 until 23. It was great. If you get in a position where BC is a possibility I recommend it. I do find that regular exercise helps to regulate my hormones but I believe you have an issue with that as well? in my dream world I work out 4 days a week, read 7 days a week and have wine 2 days a week. When I actually accomplish that my life (headaches, mood, hormones, appearance, mothering, wifing) functions more smoothly.

I embarrassed myself by crying in front of my teen class at church.  We're watching The Hiding Place.  My own daughter was the only one to tease me about it. 

A whole page and no one commented about your lack of booya.

People are not taking this thread seriously. :hat:

• Like 5

Are there hormonal treatments other than BC? I was on BC from 10 or 11 until 23. It was great. If you get in a position where BC is a possibility I recommend it. I do find that regular exercise helps to regulate my hormones but I believe you have an issue with that as well? in my dream world I work out 4 days a week, read 7 days a week and have wine 2 days a week. When I actually accomplish that my life (headaches, mood, hormones, appearance, mothering, wifing) functions more smoothly.

No other hormonal treatments were mentioned.  I want to see what the neuro says before I consider BC.

Ideally I would like to go to the pool twice a week, but that isn't always possible.  Going to an indoor public pool filled with the high school swim team does not mix well with a headache, so I haven't been at all this year.  :(  I have some walking videos that I used to do, but it seems that someone is always using the TV.

This is the first month that I've had headaches for so many days in a row, so we'll see what kind of pattern establishes itself in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the advice!

• Like 3

No other hormonal treatments were mentioned.  I want to see what the neuro says before I consider BC.

Ideally I would like to go to the pool twice a week, but that isn't always possible.  Going to an indoor public pool filled with the high school swim team does not mix well with a headache, so I haven't been at all this year.   :(  I have some walking videos that I used to do, but it seems that someone is always using the TV.

This is the first month that I've had headaches for so many days in a row, so we'll see what kind of pattern establishes itself in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the advice!

Can you put the walking videos on your phone and listen to them in another room?

I talked to my mom when I should have been playing with the kids before bedtime. I got off 10 minutes before bedtime and an hour later received this text. "I find it offensive that an hour on the phone once every week or so talking to me means you are neglecting your children... Tread lightly my dear..." Okay mom, whatever. I'm not responding. She'll feel stupid when she wakes up sober.