Menu

Ignore this thread!

Yesss! I don't want to be told how to parent, or how my family should be. I'm as conservative as they come, but I don't want to be told what to believe or how to live. I want homeschool information.

As one who is now doing high school, I want to know about modifying and accommodating curriculum for learning differences, and using the cc for graduating requirements.

This is why I do the homeschool conference thing online and just pay (sometimes) for what I want to hear. Oh, and why I hang out here.

No kidding! I went to one in Fresno... Ended up ditching most of it. Several were your typical "Getting Started in Homeschooling" and "homeschooling on a budget". One seminar was in bread baking and grinding your own wheat (they gave everyone their own thing of organic sea-salt on our way out). A couple of years ago I went to one in Modesto. Loved it. Went to every seminar Jim Weiss gave. I like the content oriented seminars, not so much the nuts and bolts ones now. I know what my kids do and how to teach them. I hate the parenting ones, the marriage ones, the health ones. And another reason I go is just to get away. My BFF and I go, get a room together, have a nice dinner out and laugh and gossip and just relax. Honestly, if I had the nerve I'd just ditch the seminars and hang out by the hotel pool with L all day long and drink margaritas.
  • Like 3

My dh thinks I'm laundrically inefficient. I feel like I am efficient long-term. I pile all the clean clothes on my bed, fold a few, then put them away. "Why not fold them all and then put them all away?" He wants to know. "Because I fold them all, start putting them away, then get distracted, so they don't all get put away. Then at night we move the back to the laundry basket so we can go to bed. They get messed up. Then I have to deal with them again. At least with my method, some, preferably all get dealt with!"

it drives me crazy the way he folds laundry. Besides, I enjoy folding. It's mindless. He's a mechanical engineer, so he's all about efficiency. I like efficiency, but sometimes it doesn't always suit my mood or end game.

Your second post explains your first.  It's the word engineer. :laugh: I actually have a super efficient laundry system, but I am very controlling about it.  I don't want anyone else using my washing machine because I am convinced they overuse detergent (front loader) and are going to kill the machine.  The upside is that I do not mind laundry one little bit.

See, that's your problem.  You make a list.  I don't have a list.  Therefore I am always done. 

I know, right??? :lol:

The whole minimalist thing makes me cranky.  Probably irrational but there it is.  (I think because there seems to be a moral superiority thing in a lot of posts about minimalism.)

I know, right???  I'll have as much junk as I feel like having. :lol:  When I don't want the junk anymore, I will get rid of it.

Someone asked me for homeschool advice irl.  Ack!  Don't do that!  I am comfortable with ruining my own kids but I just sort of throw stuff at them and see if it sticks. 

The orthodontic assistants asked me a lot of stuff today.  We were an attraction.

That makes sense. I'm so burdened by this pain I'm going to go get something to make my life easier. My mother never taught me how to cook but I spent a lot of time with families from Mexico and some of them did. I don't fear cross contamination and I leave my casseroles in the oven instead of the fridge because I never learned food safety as a kid and as an adult I figured if I hadn't died yet it was fine. My husband was horrified, but he's gross like me now.

From now on, we're going to put the food in the fridge, not leave it in the oven.  Promise me this.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 5

That makes sense. I'm so burdened by this pain I'm going to go get something to make my life easier. My mother never taught me how to cook but I spent a lot of time with families from Mexico and some of them did. I don't fear cross contamination and I leave my casseroles in the oven instead of the fridge because I never learned food safety as a kid and as an adult I figured if I hadn't died yet it was fine. My husband was horrified, but he's gross like me now.

Dh is from Mexico. They never put eggs in the fridge. We haven't died yet either.

• Like 2

Let me see:

Agree with Tex. Slache, put the leftover food in the refrigerator. 

Laundry is done. I do about two loads a day. Today I did three, because DH was home, and he's good for one additional load of laundry per day.

School is done; math test scores were better than I hoped for based on the quiz results for this light unit.

I have two pairs of scissors in the house. About eight towels not including the ones for the dogs. I have used every towel at one time (water heater removal that decided to blow, chronic leak in the office) and can justify my need for all the towels I own.

I let the boys and DH fold their own laundry any durned way they want to. I fold mine.

I have never been to a homeschooling convention.

• Like 6

I think I have 1,000 pairs of scissors in the house. Slight hyperbole. Not much. I'm so happy that way.

It hurts just thinking about it. I would need to have them all in one place, possibly organized by size. See, when we were first married we had several duplicates because he had stuff, I had stuff and MIL sent us boxes of hand me downs. As a result Matt would leave stuff around because we weren't very organized. He usually would set stuff on the desk, bookshelves or throw it in a closet so I never knew where anything was. If I wanted to find the scissors I'd have to go to the desk and handle each item on the desk to see what it was. I could spend hours looking for something that was right in front of my face. I used to make lists. Please find my scissors, belt, trash bags and a pen. It took him like a minute. I used to keep pens in my hair and write notes on my arm. It was so hard back then. He just didn't get it so he never put anything away. Having less stuff means having less to sort through. It's easier.

• Like 2

Someone asked me for homeschool advice irl.  Ack!  Don't do that!  I am comfortable with ruining my own kids but I just sort of throw stuff at them and see if it sticks. 

My problem is that my first instinct is to tell people all the bad things about all the curriculum I've ever tried.  Which doesn't leave much to recommend.  :D   I've learned to bite my tongue.

I talked to a friend who I no longer live near who wanted a plan B if they have to homeschool their child for medical reasons (currently public school).  But both parents work and neither want to teach.  They basically want a single online provider who does everything and all subjects.  I know next to nothing about those options.  But I emailed her some links.  

• Like 2

It hurts just thinking about it. I would need to have them all in one place, possibly organized by size. See, when we were first married we had several duplicates because he had stuff, I had stuff and MIL sent us boxes of hand me downs. As a result Matt would leave stuff around because we weren't very organized. He usually would set stuff on the desk, bookshelves or throw it in a closet so I never knew where anything was. If I wanted to find the scissors I'd have to go to the desk and handle each item on the desk to see what it was. I could spend hours looking for something that was right in front of my face. I used to make lists. Please find my scissors, belt, trash bags and a pen. It took him like a minute. I used to keep pens in my hair and write notes on my arm. It was so hard back then. He just didn't get it so he never put anything away. Having less stuff means having less to sort through. It's easier.

You should for sure do what works for you in terms of scissors and organization.  We have more space.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 3

You should for sure do what works for you in terms of scissors and organization.

We have a 3,000 sq foot house we have lived in for 15 years and a family of six so it's quite a different situation.

I want a big family, but I don't want a house like that. Maybe we'll get a split level and I'll never go downstairs. I have a friend with a big house like that and it's always gorgeous. She spends like 2 hours a day cleaning. I think I'd lose my mind.
  • Like 1

Sewing scissors are in the sewing table. Kitchen scissors (mostly used for opening food packages) are in the kitchen drawer. Dh scissors are in his truck. I don't care about those. The girls keep their scissors in their pencil boxes. Or wherever they can remember to keep them. Hair trimming scissors are in the bathroom in or on the medicine cabinet (does anyone use it for medicine these days??). Other scissors (general purpose, different sizes) are all in a mason jar on top of the fridge. When done with scissors, return them to their respective places.

As messy as my house always was, I would organize the small stuff. Music cds were organized alphabetically by artist, and then year of release. DVDs were organized by genre. Scissors have a place, and other small stuff. If I could get my whole house like that, I'd be perfect. I don't understand me.

• Like 1

I want a big family, but I don't want a house like that. Maybe we'll get a split level and I'll never go downstairs. I have a friend with a big house like that and it's always gorgeous. She spends like 2 hours a day cleaning. I think I'd lose my mind.

Well, for sure I don't spend two hours a day cleaning. 😂

Dh has taken over the upstairs for his office and junk and books and workout stuff. 

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 1

I have never been to a homeschool conference. I want to go with Susan and have room service at the hotel. Someone else can take notes for me at the seminars, 'k?

We got home from the vet a little while ago. That's 9 visits in 8 days. Today I got to pay for today and yesterday. Once again, I have saved diligently all year in the hopes of taking a winter vacation. Needless to say, the vacation fund is super empty. I know that I should be grateful because 1) Hey! At least we have (had)it and 2) My wing-dog is getting better. But I am so incredibly tired right now I really just want to cry. In fact, I think I shall flee to my bedroom for I fear an imminent loss of self-control. :seeya:

(((Hugs)))
  • Like 3

Sewing scissors are in the sewing table. Kitchen scissors (mostly used for opening food packages) are in the kitchen drawer. Dh scissors are in his truck. I don't care about those. The girls keep their scissors in their pencil boxes. Or wherever they can remember to keep them. Hair trimming scissors are in the bathroom in or on the medicine cabinet (does anyone use it for medicine these days??). Other scissors (general purpose, different sizes) are all in a mason jar on top of the fridge. When done with scissors, return them to their respective places.

As messy as my house always was, I would organize the small stuff. Music cds were organized alphabetically by artist, and then year of release. DVDs were organized by genre. Scissors have a place, and other small stuff. If I could get my whole house like that, I'd be perfect. I don't understand me.

Matt won't do that. He'll forget where everything goes and which is what.

My books are organized by color. It's beautiful and easy for me to find them. We don't have many books though, probably around 150.

Matt won't do that. He'll forget where everything goes and which is what.

My books are organized by color. It's beautiful and easy for me to find them. We don't have many books though, probably around 150.

Yeah, you have to organize the way it works for you and the family. I organize books by genre, mostly. Bibles and books about Bible, science books, cookbooks, children's picture books. The children's picture books used to be more or less separated by topic, but we've gotten away from that. Books about  homeschooling, current books being used for homeschooling (dd16 has a shelf, and SL books are on a shelf). This is the only way I know I'll be able to find stuff. We have a lot of books. The books will soon be Konmari'd.

• Like 1

Yeah, you have to organize the way it works for you and the family. I organize books by genre, mostly. Bibles and books about Bible, science books, cookbooks, children's picture books. The children's picture books used to be more or less separated by topic, but we've gotten away from that. Books about homeschooling, current books being used for homeschooling (dd16 has a shelf, and SL books are on a shelf). This is the only way I know I'll be able to find stuff. We have a lot of books. The books will soon be Konmari'd.

That's why I mentioned our quantity of books. Big, big difference. Give me a few years...
  • Like 1

Renai, what protein is she eating? Have you tried making a bunch of hard boiled eggs and having them available as snacks? I LOVE quinoa salad. Quinoa, spinach, tomatoes and cheese. It's fairly inexpensive, especially since we get all of the stuff from Costco.

I have bookshelves everywhere. Each one of the children's rooms (3) have a bookshelf. I have 2 bookshelves in my closet, and I have books under the bed. And I love every single one of them. I do donate regularly to the library, and give duplicate copies to nieces and nephews. However, I am about to place another order for next year's read alouds. I plan on having books for my grandchildren because I am figuring books will become extinct thanks to technology. Which I love my kindle, but it is not the same as snuggling and reading a book to a child. Now isn't that a ramble. :D

• Like 8

Renai, what protein is she eating? Have you tried making a bunch of hard boiled eggs and having them available as snacks? I LOVE quinoa salad. Quinoa, spinach, tomatoes and cheese. It's fairly inexpensive, especially since we get all of the stuff from Costco.

She'll do dairy, but no eggs. I guess she gets a lot of her protein from dairy and nuts. We all do like quinoa. Of course,if she goes on the autoimmune protocol, she can't have any of that stuff, she won't eat the meat, so she'll just die of starvation.

• Like 1

She'll do dairy, but no eggs. I guess she gets a lot of her protein from dairy and nuts. We all do like quinoa. Of course,if she goes on the autoimmune protocol, she can't have any of that stuff, she won't eat the meat, so she'll just die of starvation.

Oh, I forgot about that. What's her reasoning for not eating meat? Does my free range meat appeal to her at all?

My dh thinks I'm laundrically inefficient. I feel like I am efficient long-term. I pile all the clean clothes on my bed, fold a few, then put them away. "Why not fold them all and then put them all away?" He wants to know. "Because I fold them all, start putting them away, then get distracted, so they don't all get put away. Then at night we move the back to the laundry basket so we can go to bed. They get messed up. Then I have to deal with them again. At least with my method, some, preferably all get dealt with!"

Yep, I agree with your DH. Inefficient.

I fold/hang as they come out of the dryer. Then they stay there until someone needs it, and I no longer have to put it away. LOL But at least they aren't wrinkled!

• Like 1

We Krissi's system. Because by the time we get back from the laundromat, who has the energy put away everything all at once?

ETA: Oh, and if it's done by hand, it's an all-day endeavor. Wash, hang, wash more, hang, put away what's dry. Repeat.

We use Krissi's system. Because by the time we get back from the laundromat, who has the energy put away everything all at once?

ETA: Oh, and if it's done by hand, it's an all-day endeavor. Wash, hang, wash more, hang, put away what's dry. Repeat.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 2

Eggplant!  :ack2:

That's right up there with lima beans, overcooked peas, and bananas on the texture-fail scale.  I'll just have the baked cheese, please!

So I talked to tlih's caregiver/home health aide regarding her health and all these appointments, and her thoughts were to reschedule due to weather conditions. She felt getting her out in single digit temperatures is not a good idea. I am glad she thinks so because that is what I was thinking as well. She is in good health and getting around on her own. Her helper comes everyday to fix meals, etc. I am relieved that she feels this is best. Because it is just so cold with more snow coming Wednesday and Friday, and I would have to bring the twins. I have no one to watch them this week. So I will fix her medication tomorrow and get any groceries she needs, and we will schedule the appointments for next week. More rambling.:)

• Like 5

Towels - we have lots of towels, and we need them.  I will not speculate on number.  Some day when kids move out and I give them towels and buy new ones for myself, I am buying all of them the same color - tan.  All towels will be tan.  I will no longer have dark load of towels and light load of towels.  I will have one load color of towels.  Like a hotel. 

• Like 5

That's slightly cray cray.

That's a cray cray Booya for Slache.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 4

Our internet company is weird and we have a set amount of data a month. It's "more than anyone really needs", but we've gone over 2xs already and are probably going to go over this month - unless we cut back these next few weeks. Our bad days are weekends and dd watches too much on the tablets or on the tv (no cable, just streaming). 

To save our technology and to keep my child from being a couch potato, we are going to start a "toys only" time on MWFs. I think this would also be a good time to do some letter recognition practice. It would also be a good time to get more read-alouds in to our schedule. 

Now to just get stuff together. 

• Like 2

No kidding! I went to one in Fresno... Ended up ditching most of it. Several were your typical "Getting Started in Homeschooling" and "homeschooling on a budget". One seminar was in bread baking and grinding your own wheat (they gave everyone their own thing of organic sea-salt on our way out). A couple of years ago I went to one in Modesto. Loved it. Went to every seminar Jim Weiss gave. I like the content oriented seminars, not so much the nuts and bolts ones now. I know what my kids do and how to teach them. I hate the parenting ones, the marriage ones, the health ones. And another reason I go is just to get away. My BFF and I go, get a room together, have a nice dinner out and laugh and gossip and just relax. Honestly, if I had the nerve I'd just ditch the seminars and hang out by the hotel pool with L all day long and drink margaritas.

I used to refer people to the Valley Home Educators convention, even though I lived in San Jose and could more easily have gone to the Bay Area CHEA convention (and I was the local coordinator for that one for several years). Modesto was way less expensive and had most of the same speakers and exhibitors.

But that was way before 2004, when I moved here to Texas. Much has changed in the convention world, and I don't like it. Sadly, no one asked my option, so there's that.