Menu

Ignore this thread!

Well then she should have been more excited about getting laundry done.  (hair flip!)

Amen!

My dh doesn't care about my laundry plans. Lol

(He better not comment on my laundry plans!)

Don't you just love those 12 seconds when all the laundry is done?

:lol:

All these great laundry posts, and I'm outta likes.  :svengo:

• Like 6

That's my point exactly.

Vendors in an exhibit hall at a homeschool convention should have something to do with, you know, actual homeschooling.

Yes!  Even GHC has its share of non homeschooling vendors.  I wish they at least grouped them all together so I would know which corridor to skip, lol. 

• Like 4

School is done. I have a headache. I am grouchy. I feel like biting heads off, but I haven't yet. I don't feel like cooking supper. I don't feel like doing anything. It is almost time to pick up dd16 so I will have to start the van so it can warm up because it is 18F. So I guess I will have to do something even though I don't wanna.

I think you should bring home pizza for supper as a reward for going out in the cold to start the van and picking up dd at school.  :hurray:

• Like 3

I've never had those seconds.

Shamir laundry. I'll do it all in two days and ship it back. You may have that glory.

I think efficiency is the reason minimalists are minimalist. Other than my posts in the ITT I tend to try to get all of my points out in one post. I use a bullet journal, have less than 10 pens in my home and I'm very organized in my chore and cooking system. That thread where people talked about having 2 pairs of scissors and 12 towels blew my mind. I don't understand why someone would do that. I know a huge part of it is because I live in a small apartment, but seriously people! Y'all have too much crap!

-person with vision problems that can't comprehend messes and honestly probably a few mental problems too

Yes!  Even GHC has its share of non homeschooling vendors.  I wish they at least grouped them all together so I would know which corridor to skip, lol. 

At a big event,  having non-homeschooiing vendors is fine, because they help pay for the facility :-) and sometimes they're really fun. However, there should be at least 75% homeschool-related exhibitors, IMHO.

I feel the same way about the workshops, too: homeschool-related. Not family-related, or parenting-related. Homeschool-related. And I don't care that of course parenting and family and homeschool go together. I know that. But it's a *homeschool* convention, not a parenting convention.

I am, apparently, way out in left field on this. The price for having been a homeschool pioneer and remembering Back in the Day.

• Like 7

Yeah, well we're either doing laundry by hand or have to take a trip to the laundromat. That ain't happenin' every day.

I have a half size stacked washer and dryer. It's not a big deal because I'm home every day, but I do about 2 loads a day and it's never all done. If I don't keep up with it we quickly become nudists.

We have at least 12 pairs of scissors and you don't want to know how many towels we have. :leaving:

We have one pair of adult scissors, one for the kids and chicken scissors. We each have a towel, 2 spares, 2 beach towel, 6 diapers (sweat rags for working out), 6 washcloths and 2 rags. We need new baby towels because ours were no longer soft.

Eta: And I didn't even have to get up because I know what we have.

#minimalist

#mentalillness

Edited by Slache

At a big event,  having non-homeschooiing vendors is fine, because they help pay for the facility :-) and sometimes they're really fun. However, there should be at least 75% homeschool-related exhibitors, IMHO.

I feel the same way about the workshops, too: homeschool-related. Not family-related, or parenting-related. Homeschool-related. And I don't care that of course parenting and family and homeschool go together. I know that. But it's a *homeschool* convention, not a parenting convention.

I am, apparently, way out in left field on this. The price for having been a homeschool pioneer and remembering Back in the Day.

Yesss! I don't want to be told how to parent, or how my family should be. I'm as conservative as they come, but I don't want to be told what to believe or how to live. I want homeschool information. 

As one who is now doing high school, I want to know about modifying and accommodating curriculum for learning differences, and using the cc for graduating requirements. 

This is why I do the homeschool conference thing online and just pay (sometimes) for what I want to hear. Oh, and why I hang out here.

• Like 4

I can't remember the last time I was at a homeschooling convention.  I've meant to go to the one they have every year in The Big City an Hour Away, but something always seems to happen.

Last time, it was dd5 having dental surgery* (long story).

*A few weeks prior, dd13 was helping me to get everyone dressed for a wedding.  While she was helping the littlest, she said to me, "Mom, dd5's tooth is gone."  What do you mean "gone"?   :huh:  Well, it had broken off somehow and we had to have the roots surgically removed.  And there went the homeschool convention.  Truthfully, it was probably about the same amount of money.  Just more painful and nothing to show for it.

We have one pair of adult scissors, one for the kids and chicken scissors. 

We have kitchen scissors that is only for kitchen stuff. I don't like cross-contamination. That's just gross. There are sewing scissors and general purpose scissors. Using sewing scissors for general purpose stuff quickly wears them out. Both girls have their own pair of scissors. What if we need to cut at the same time? (happens in our household, anyway). Dh has a a heavy-duty pair. Those aren't used for anything in the house (I hope). That's also gross.  I'll take more than one pair of scissors any day. So bite me.

Each person has a towel set of a different color. The pets share a towel.

• Like 1

We have one pair of adult scissors, one for the kids and chicken scissors. We each have a towel, 2 spares, 2 beach towel, 6 diapers (sweat rags for working out), 6 washcloths and 2 rags. We need new baby towels because ours were no longer soft.

Eta: And I didn't even have to get up because I know what we have.

#minimalist

#mentalillness

3 adult scissors (that I know of) -- one on my desk, one in the kitchen, one in the bathroom

3 or 4 meat scissors (yes, I use all of them)

1 kid scissors in my purse

1 kid scissors -- ds15 (I think)

2 kid scissors -- dd13

2 kid scissors -- dd11

? kid scissors -- the kids' craft table area

• Like 4

Ok, so, when y'all go to homeschool conventions or conferences, are the vendors actual homeschool services or products, or everything else? The few at this conference have actually nothing to do with homeschooling, and it bugs me. I'm not in charge of that, but I can still put in my two cents' worth.

There's a mixture at the Valley Home Educators Convention in Modesto. Although I have no problem with the booth that serves free fruit infused water, Ghiradelli chocolate and 2 minute massages to all and sundry.
  • Like 1

I'm sure Mary will get scissors when the time comes. I don't have scissors in my purse. I wonder if part of it is from growing up poor and using one resource for multiple tasks. Having 4 pairs of meat scissors means coming up with the money to buy meat scissors 3 additional times. My mom just didn't have that so I don't see the need.

We watch Chuck on Netflix over lunch.

MacG used to be on Hulu, but now it's on Amazon prime. I think we'll watch Star Trek next...right after this MacG episode. Um, I'll clean the pantry at the same time. I've seen Star Trek several times over.  :leaving:

My dh doesn't care about my laundry plans. Lol

My dh thinks I'm laundrically inefficient. I feel like I am efficient long-term. I pile all the clean clothes on my bed, fold a few, then put them away. "Why not fold them all and then put them all away?" He wants to know. "Because I fold them all, start putting them away, then get distracted, so they don't all get put away. Then at night we move the back to the laundry basket so we can go to bed. They get messed up. Then I have to deal with them again. At least with my method, some, preferably all get dealt with!"
  • Like 1

My dh thinks I'm laundrically inefficient. I feel like I am efficient long-term. I pile all the clean clothes on my bed, fold a few, then put them away. "Why not fold them all and then put them all away?" He wants to know. "Because I fold them all, start putting them away, then get distracted, so they don't all get put away. Then at night we move the back to the laundry basket so we can go to bed. They get messed up. Then I have to deal with them again. At least with my method, some, preferably all get dealt with!"

It sounds like maybe he should do the laundry. He's obviously better at it so let him show you how it's done!

It sounds like maybe he should do the laundry. He's obviously better at it so let him show you how it's done!

it drives me crazy the way he folds laundry. Besides, I enjoy folding. It's mindless. He's a mechanical engineer, so he's all about efficiency. I like efficiency, but sometimes it doesn't always suit my mood or end game.

You know what I would really like?  Getting everything on my tackle lists done by 11 am, noon at the latest, and then having the rest of the day to do whatever I'd like.  Not going to happen, but a gal can dream. . . .

See, that's your problem.  You make a list.  I don't have a list.  Therefore I am always done. 

• Like 6

The whole minimalist thing makes me cranky. Probably irrational but there it is. (I think because there seems to be a moral superiority thing in a lot of posts about minimalism.)

I agree. It's like "I'm better than you because I'm cleaner and more organized." I see that a lot with people I know in real life. I don't on the hive, but I have a very hard time reading people online. Do I come off that way?

Edited by Slache

I'm sure Mary will get scissors when the time comes. I don't have scissors in my purse. I wonder if part of it is from growing up poor and using one resource for multiple tasks. Having 4 pairs of meat scissors means coming up with the money to buy meat scissors 3 additional times. My mom just didn't have that so I don't see the need.

I have scissors in my purse because of arthritis.  I can't open anything with just my fingers.  Sometimes scissors are necessary.

And the meat scissors -- I like to cook all my meat for the week at one time, and I don't want to cross contaminate.  And don't tell me to wash the scissors in between ;) , because #arthritis 

I have scissors in my purse because of arthritis. I can't open anything with just my fingers. Sometimes scissors are necessary.

And the meat scissors -- I like to cook all my meat for the week at one time, and I don't want to cross contaminate. And don't tell me to wash the scissors in between ;) , because #arthritis

That makes sense. I'm so burdened by this pain I'm going to go get something to make my life easier. My mother never taught me how to cook but I spent a lot of time with families from Mexico and some of them did. I don't fear cross contamination and I leave my casseroles in the oven instead of the fridge because I never learned food safety as a kid and as an adult I figured if I hadn't died yet it was fine. My husband was horrified, but he's gross like me now.

• Like 2

Yesss! I don't want to be told how to parent, or how my family should be. I'm as conservative as they come, but I don't want to be told what to believe or how to live. I want homeschool information. 

As one who is now doing high school, I want to know about modifying and accommodating curriculum for learning differences, and using the cc for graduating requirements. 

This is why I do the homeschool conference thing online and just pay (sometimes) for what I want to hear. Oh, and why I hang out here.

I would gladly organize a convention that had actual homeschool topics. But you'd be surprised at how difficult it is to get speakers. Because I want experienced homeschooling parents, not people who have written curriculum materials, for most of the workshops, and it is pulling hen's teeth to find anyone who is willing to talk to other homeschooling parents for 45 minutes about a topic they know well.

And then there's finding a venue that is a reasonable rate. Oy.

And then exhibitors don't want to come if we cannot guarantee [insert magic number] attendees (who can blame them?). People won't sign up until they know exactly how many and which exhibitors.

::heavy sigh::

• Like 3