Menu

Ignore this thread!

So the lady I help's family called me asking for money. She is on a fixed income and barely has enough as it is, but her check was cut to $30 this month due to her stay in rehab. So I told them she didn't have it, and they accused me of lying. I told them I had the bank statements to prove it, and that I do NOT like being accused of lying. These people are very poor money managers which is the reason the judge did not appoint them as her guardian. So aggravating, some people. I am lending her money this month until things get straightened out which involved two 1 hour phone calls to social security. So frustrating, but when I think what would happen to her if she had someone else take over guardianship, it could be bad. Ugh. So frustrating, again! Can you tell I am frustrated and aggravated  an incredibly awesome human being? :D

Why, yes.  Yes, we can.  :grouphug:

• Like 9

Ryan is not a bad sort, but he is critical, speaks without thinking, and needs to be right (i.e. know it all).  Some of it is likely influenced by his mother (college girl describes her as critical) and I will chalk some up to youth and inexperience and testosterone.  But it is grating.  When I educated him about the dog, he was all, "Oh, yeah, of course" kind of a thing.  I don't need or want his opinion on how I parent my dog or my 10 year old.  Nope.  Not welcome.  I only seek the opinion of people who know more than me about things, and he does not about these two things - my dog and my kid.

That said, no one is perfect.  He is still fairly young.  He may be nervous and spouting off due to that.  I let the Minecraft thing fly right by.  

Another thing was when college girl and I were talking about little dd's hair.  Her bangs are growing out, and she dislikes clips so I told college girl she won't wear clips anymore and college girl suggested a little braid with a bobby pin.  Ryan said, "She refuses to wear clips?  When I was a kid, I just did what my mom said."  It was telling as far as what his expectations of kids are.  But he doesn't have any yet.   :lol:

Dem young whippersnappers!

• Like 4

I'm sorry about Buddy.

I insult people without knowing it. I'm not a bad person, just an idiot. Keep in mind that he might just be an idiot.

Mooies birfday is next month. I think I might make us some matching adult jewelry. She's always wearing mine so people always but her plastic jewelry and she doesn't like it.

It's one thing to have idiots for friends, it's another thing to marry one.  :lol:

ETA:  Love the jewelry idea! 

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4

Was that part of phase 1 ?  :lol:

That is part of throwing up hands in frustration and doing what I prefer to do. :D I did, however, find dh's Bible (on the shelf where it was supposed to be, but covered with stuff), and the blood pressure monitor hose. All this time we thought the hose was in the living room, but apparently Gymnast had been playing with it again and hid it behind stuff. That would be other stuff, not the same stuff that was covering dh's Bible.

• Like 3

Yes.

They are out walking the dog so I can dish.

So far, "Does the dog stay outside in the summer?  How is she even still alive?" (long-haired)  So I explain to him that her coat insulates her and these are livestock guardian dogs who are outside in all weather.  We provide water and a lot of shade.  Shaving her would be a bad move and actually causes heatstroke in dogs.

Little dd is going to play Minecraft and I ask her to eat brekkie before doing so.  He says, "Or maybe play a real game" as an aside.

Ryan is not a bad sort, but he is critical, speaks without thinking, and needs to be right (i.e. know it all).  Some of it is likely influenced by his mother (college girl describes her as critical) and I will chalk some up to youth and inexperience and testosterone.  But it is grating.  When I educated him about the dog, he was all, "Oh, yeah, of course" kind of a thing.  I don't need or want his opinion on how I parent my dog or my 10 year old.  Nope.  Not welcome.  I only seek the opinion of people who know more than me about things, and he does not about these two things - my dog and my kid.

That said, no one is perfect.  He is still fairly young.  He may be nervous and spouting off due to that.  I let the Minecraft thing fly right by.  

Another thing was when college girl and I were talking about little dd's hair.  Her bangs are growing out, and she dislikes clips so I told college girl she won't wear clips anymore and college girl suggested a little braid with a bobby pin.  Ryan said, "She refuses to wear clips?  When I was a kid, I just did what my mom said."  It was telling as far as what his expectations of kids are.  But he doesn't have any yet.   :lol:

Well, I wanted to go all Mamabear for you and tell you what you should tell him, etc.  Then I realized you are very wise.  I also thought I knew a lot about parenting when my first was a babe - a lot more than I know now, lol.  So, while I might be tempted to say "Well, for all our screen addition and other faults, at least we aren't judgemental and rude!" it's really better if CollegeGirl is the one who "takes a stand" to him if she is so inclined, kwim? 

• Like 2

Was that part of phase 1 ?  :lol:

I should say, I have no excuse for READING "Bubastes" since I have it on Audible already. But, I started reading, and it was so interesting, I just kept going instead of listening to it and working.  :lol:  :leaving:

• Like 2

Wait...what are you saying about Slash's husband??? :confused1:

:hat:   Multiple Choice:

A)  He's a lucky, lucky man.

B)  He must be an even bigger idiot (most men are, right?)

C)  There are different kinds of idiocy - some cute and some not so much.

D)  They make a great couple! 

E)  None of the above.

(P.S.  For the record, I didn't say anything about Slash or her dh!   :hat: )

• Like 5

And, in the spirit of randomness...

Going back to the corn is grain discussion, did you know einkorn flour is available? Supposedly tolerable for wheat-sensitive folks (not celiacs) as it has less chromosomes or something than today's hybridized wheat.

Interesting...

• Like 3

And, now going back to my previous how-we're-changing-school for dd16 discussion, I think we can mix algebra and geometry and call it Integrated Math.  :huh: I don't want her to forget algebra, and no, we will not use Saxon.

And I forgot, I meant to reply to your other post about changing dd16's school work. I love that you're changing things to better meet her needs.  I think it's fantastic!!

• Like 3

And, now going back to my previous how-we're-changing-school for dd16 discussion, I think we can mix algebra and geometry and call it Integrated Math. :huh: I don't want her to forget algebra, and no, we will not use Saxon.

How do you intend to accomplish this? I know there are a lot out there. AOPS people often do two books at once. I wonder why more people don't.

The twins went with Dh to check out BIL's water heater, and they have been gone about an hour or so. I feel odd to be twinless. I am usually with them 24/7, and it feels strange. However, I have 4 teenagers (dd16 is one of them) working on a group video for Spanish 2. So the house is not quite. It is filled with laughter and Mariachi music. I'm sure you all can imagine.

I am making spaghetti for them, and dh and the twins should be back soon. They (the teenagers) all have to play in the pep band tonight at a basketball game. Dh will take them, and I will have my twins back.:)

• Like 6

Since you all have been dragging your feet in creating my organizational paradise, I finally made it to Hobby Lobby and found exactly what I need and at a decent price when using a coupon. However, they are ugly. Ugly ugly ugly. I'm no Martha Stewart wannabe, but I will NOT have those things in the kitchen/schoolroom.

Dh has suggested using nice contact paper to cover them. I suppose I could try paint. They will be used by kids daily, so they need to be durable and I worry that the contact paper will constantly peel off, or the paint will just scratch and peel off.

Are these reasonable concerns? Other suggestions? (They are made of very heavy/sturdy paperboard.)

• Like 4

Well, I wanted to go all Mamabear for you and tell you what you should tell him, etc.  Then I realized you are very wise.  I also thought I knew a lot about parenting when my first was a babe - a lot more than I know now, lol.  So, while I might be tempted to say "Well, for all our screen addition and other faults, at least we aren't judgemental and rude!" it's really better if CollegeGirl is the one who "takes a stand" to him if she is so inclined, kwim? 

:lol: These are treacherous waters here!  And roads!  I feel like I am swimming in the sea during a hurricane!  

Bottom line:  I can like him or not, but this ship will sail based on her choices.  He does seem to treat her well, but he needs to be open to not having it all figured out.  However, as you were saying, it is easy to have it figured out when you are young and have not actually had to do any of this jazz.

Ryan has clearly never had to wear clips. And probably has a very vague memory of his childhood. :)

:lol:

And, now going back to my previous how-we're-changing-school for dd16 discussion, I think we can mix algebra and geometry and call it Integrated Math.  :huh: I don't want her to forget algebra, and no, we will not use Saxon.

Sounds like a fabulous idea.  I think what you call it on the transcript can be decided later, but doing a mix of both seems like a good idea at this stage.  

• Like 4

How do you intend to accomplish this? I know there are a lot out there. AOPS people often do two books at once. I wonder why more people don't.

Well crud. I just told dd yesterday to put the Algebra 2 away and finish geometry first. She has been trying to work on both and was in tears over her algebra lesson.

Because most people are doing well to do one book. And most kids are not AoPS kids.

You don't think an average kids would enjoy rotating them week by week? I know LOF has Algebra I, Algebra II and then Geometry. He makes a good case for it. I have much to learn about higher mathematics, I know that.

Since you all have been dragging your feet in creating my organizational paradise, I finally made it to Hobby Lobby and found exactly what I need and at a decent price when using a coupon. However, they are ugly. Ugly ugly ugly. I'm no Martha Stewart wannabe, but I will NOT have those things in the kitchen/schoolroom.

Dh has suggested using nice contact paper to cover them. I suppose I could try paint. They will be used by kids daily, so they need to be durable and I worry that the contact paper will constantly peel off, or the paint will just scratch and peel off.

Are these reasonable concerns? Other suggestions? (They are made of very heavy/sturdy paperboard.)

Some pretty fabric and glue? Each one could be different or match or whatever fabric is the best price. You could try it out on one and see how it works.

• Like 2

You don't think an average kids would enjoy rotating them week by week? I know LOF has Algebra I, Algebra II and then Geometry. He makes a good case for it. I have much to learn about higher mathematics, I know that.

Even average kids learn differently and enjoy learning in different ways. And many traditional sequences do Alg 1, Geom, Alg 2.

Ack! Which reminds me that TT does the Alg 1, Alg 2, then Geometry track. Ugh.

• Like 2

I don't know. Why do you expect me to know this?  :confused1:

She already has TT Algebra that she can test through and fill in gaps. It can be done until I purchase the TT Geometry.

When I was homeschooling full-time, which seems ages ago, I noticed that when she hits a roadblock, it's time to switch to a different area (not program!), and let the block simmer before coming back to it. I can approach the math similarly, or not. It depends on her. She just wants to do the geometry, but I know there algebra gaps to work through too. I haven't figured out how I'll make it work, I just know that TT works very well for her.

• Like 4

No. The people who do multiple ApPS nooks simultaneously have PG or near PG kids AND a parent well-qualified to teach the material. For the rest of us, the time involved will mandate one at a time.

BTW, at the vet again

Sorry if this comes off as short.

• Like 1

I don't know. Why do you expect me to know this? :confused1:

She already has TT Algebra that she can test through and fill in gaps. It can be done until I purchase the TT Geometry.

When I was homeschooling full-time, which seems ages ago, I noticed that when she hits a roadblock, it's time to switch to a different area (not program!), and let the block simmer before coming back to it. I can approach the math similarly, or not. It depends on her. She just wants to do the geometry, but I know there algebra gaps to work through too. I haven't figured out how I'll make it work, I just know that TT works very well for her.

Ditto on the simmering.

• Like 1

That is part of throwing up hands in frustration and doing what I prefer to do. :D I did, however, find dh's Bible (on the shelf where it was supposed to be, but covered with stuff), and the blood pressure monitor hose. All this time we thought the hose was in the living room, but apparently Gymnast had been playing with it again and hid it behind stuff. That would be other stuff, not the same stuff that was covering dh's Bible.

Yay on finding lost things!  :party:

• Like 2

I don't know. Why do you expect me to know this?  :confused1:

This is why Khan academy works so very well for dd14. 

• Like 2

I think we're going to need a picture.

I'm guessing anything you do to cover is not going to stand up to lots of wear, but maybe paint is easier to touch up?  Or find a contact paper with duct tape to match and then you can use tape to make repairs as needed. 

• Like 1

Enjoy is a strong word. :D

For all but the math fanatic kids, one subject of higher math is about what they can handle. My mathiest AoPS kid is old enough to have his own strong opinions so you run into that, as well. It's not about what is best so much as what is workable that the kid will agree to do.

• Like 2

No. The people who do multiple ApPS nooks simultaneously have PG or near PG kids AND a parent well-qualified to teach the material. For the rest of us, the time involved will mandate one at a time.

BTW, at the vet again

Sorry if this comes off as short.

PG?

I think we're going to need a picture.

I'm guessing anything you do to cover is not going to stand up to lots of wear, but maybe paint is easier to touch up? Or find a contact paper with duct tape to match and then you can use tape to make repairs as needed.

Here is one. I wouldn't mind if they were all one color/design, but I'd like each kid to have their own color. (They each have their own water cup color already, so I like to organize things that way if I can.)

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Party-Baking/Stationery-Office-Decor/Office-Decor/Leopard-Print-Wall-Organizer/p/19063

Acutally, using duct tape entirely might be workable. Fabric is a good idea too, and easy to glue back on if necessary.

• Like 2

Dd16 started out using Khan for algebra topics while in the geometry class, but then got bogged down trying to get other stuff done. How do you use it?

She does all mastery challenges first until they run out.  Then she has to choose two new things to do.  (Hit the "show all skills" line on the left hand sign of the screen.)  Mission foundations must be done before we go on to other topics.  So at first, she will choose two things from mission foundations to work on and later on, once those are all mastered, she can choose two other things from down below (they don't have to be related to each other).  She does those until she's passed that skill (you get an "Awesome - show points") or until she's worked on it enough and I tell her the can move on and practice some more the next day. 

So for example:

The other day she did all the available mastery challenges.  Then because she has already mastered all the mission foundations, she chose one skill from geometry and one skill from statistics to work on.  Usually the new topics ask for you to do five correct or in some cases, only 3, before passing you on that level.  Since she worked on the geometry for awhile and was stuck, I ask her to choose between looking at the video (which she would only choose over death itself) or to google it or I do it with her to show her how to solve them (which is what she usually chooses).  After she worked on it for awhile and was still not getting five correct in a row (she kept getting 4 right in a row and then botching the 5th one) , then I allowed her to count it as "done" for that day and she moved on to the statistics topic she chose.   With the statistics, she was able to just do five right with no problem and was then done with math.

I am rather self conscious about our math.  I've been told over and over on this forum that it isn't "enough" but she's struck out on all other math curricula and this one she will do and the fact that she's gone from being 2 years behind in math to only 3 months behind now, should count for something, in my opinion. 

Edited to add a long self conscious Khan academy Booyah with an h because I am not self conscious about that. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 7

Thanks for explaining, Jean. I don't care what others say, I just want something that will get done and that she understands. For me, if she just gets through algebra 1 and geometry with a good understanding, and nothing else before graduation, I will still call it done (for math).

• Like 6

Thanks for explaining, Jean. I don't care what others say, I just want something that will get done and that she understands. For me, if she just gets through algebra 1 and geometry with a good understanding, and nothing else before graduation, I will still call it done (for math).

You might also want to check out alcumus. It web-based-like Khan-and is intuitive, so will adjust the problem sets to fit the need of the student. I'm not as familiar with Khan-disregard if it's the same.

ETA:  That is just so ugly.  I am far too old to learn to type on a miniature device like a phone.  I'm leaving it, though.  Maybe it will remind me to just wait until I get home.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 3