cat (anaphylactic)

dog

molds--indoor & outdoor (severe)

ragweed (severe)

dust mites

most weeds

most pollens

almost everything living (50+)

So, now you know how to kill me. Bring a kitteh and some coconut ice-cream.

Edited by kbeal
  • Like 1

:seeya:

Last night I slept for four consecutive hours, the first time since Saturday night.  I think.  I'm a bit fuzzy.

The dog is still really sick.  We will go to the vet today for the 6th time in 5 days and plan our weekend visits.  I just keep putting the bill on the visa.  I just don't want to know.

Don't have time to catch up with everyone's news, but generally greetings and :grouphug: .

Exception, Krissi:  Still praying for you and your dad.  Cut yourself some slack on the homeschooling thing.  FWIW, I had an ideal classical model in mind and failed spectacularly.  Now I'm just educating my kid the way she needs it.  Which is much easier with 1 than 5.  Give yourself grace today; you've got a lot on your plate.  :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 9

ikslo, does he have an underlying condition causing the allergies? Do you exclude certain foods from your home? We used to babysit a girl with a serious peanut allergy and she was only 3. It frightened me so we did not have peanut products in the house.

(((Krissi)))

So I was kinda bummed because we were about $100 short for groceries and we would be fine but would be getting less produce and healthy snacks. Then I remembered that we got our yearly Costco rebate yesterday! Now we're $2 short. I can handle that. Then I found leftover mozzarella so I eated it. :D

Every morning Mary asks for bwest. Today she asked for bexfist. :(

I decided to homeschool as a teen because homeschoolers were the coolest kids I knew. Not only were they kind and intelligent, but one worked for the circus and one went to Australia for 3 months in the middle of the school year. Neither was a possibility for kids in a school setting. As time went by I saw all the other benefits such as the ability to foster a strong moral character, biblical convictions, an excellent education, and not sending my children off too soon. Now that I have one "in school" I'm so grateful because he will not be ready to sit at a desk for 4 hours a day next year, or 6 the year after that. I'm not worried about him sitting for hours at a time for college courses or in a cubicle because he'll be a completely different person by then, but for now he needs to spend more time playing than filling out worksheets.

• Like 8

anaphylactic food allergies:

peanuts

coconut (random, I know)

latex 

many medications

I'm wondering if dd may have a latex sensitivity. DH is quite allergic to latex and she had a slight reaction to some accupressure beads that the chiro put on her. I found out the sticker part has some latex in them. We're not sure what's up with that though, because she has played with balloons and not had a reaction. 

• Like 1

anaphylactic food allergies:

peanuts

coconut (random, I know)

latex 

many medications

food sensitivities:

lactose

walnut

celery

food dyes--anything petroleum based

environmental:

cat (anaphylactic)

dog

molds--indoor & outdoor (severe)

ragweed (severe)

dust mites

most weeds

most pollens

almost everything living (50+)

So, now you know how to kill me. Bring a kitteh and some coconut ice-cream.

We thought for a long time that DS was allergic to latex, based on a really bad reaction to a band-aid and some other items when he was young, but we have so many things to test for each time, for some reason the latex kept getting missed.  Well, it finally came back as negative, so the allergist thinks it was more likely a reaction to the adhesive, but we don't know.  He has a really bad scar from that band-aid.

And coconut doesn't seem so random to me.  That's on DS' watch list as a maybe.

Walnut is the one nut to which DS is supposedly not allergic.  But cross-contamination concerns have us just saying no way! regardless.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if dd may have a latex sensitivity. DH is quite allergic to latex and she had a slight reaction to some accupressure beads that the chiro put on her. I found out the sticker part has some latex in them. We're not sure what's up with that though, because she has played with balloons and not had a reaction. 

We have to watch clothing tags with DS, because some of the dyes/inks they use make him react.  So could it be something in the ink rather than the latex?

I would figure that out or at least discuss it with her before she grows up and possible exposes herself in a very painful way.

ikslo, does he have an underlying condition causing the allergies? Do you exclude certain foods from your home? We used to babysit a girl with a serious peanut allergy and she was only 3. It frightened me so we did not have peanut products in the house.

We do not bring peanuts, nuts, eggs into our home.  He has contact reactions to those.  The only soy is one bottle of soy sauce, and DS knows not to touch it.  We keep it separate, and only use on our individual plates occasionally, being careful not to touch too many surfaces. :)

So I was kinda bummed because we were about $100 short for groceries and we would be fine but would be getting less produce and healthy snacks. Then I remembered that we got our yearly Costco rebate yesterday! Now we're $2 short. I can handle that. Then I found leftover mozzarella so I eated it. :D

I would have eated it, too.

Every morning Mary asks for bwest. Today she asked for bexfist. :(_  :hurray:

FTFY. :hat: 

• Like 5

We minimize latex exposure in our kids because it's one that's likely genetic in nature.  

I have sensitivities to some adhesives. There are different classes of adhesives: micropore paper tape, durapore (silk) tape, standard tegaderm, tegaderm HP---all use different adhesives. Once you are sensitive to one, it's more likely for you to become sensitive to another.  There are barrier sprays and other things you can do to protect yourself, but there are VERY few medical personal who are well-versed in how to handle such things. I travel with a number of things in my purse because most facilities aren't stocked with them or give you a lot of hassle about whether or not you are really allergic. When you pull out the bag-o-supplies and give them the number to your allergist, they perk up and pay attention.

• Like 5

I would figure that out or at least discuss it with her before she grows up and possible exposes herself in a very painful way.

Yeah, DH's first allergic exposure was not pleasant in any way shape or form. Poor guy. He had no idea he was allergic to it.

His "first time" wasn't a good first time. :/ 

She's a bit too young to understand allergies right now, other than "I do not eat eggs because they make me really sick." If I see any more signs, we'll discuss it with the allergist. We're going back in the summer to do another allergy test, a blood test, and a possible food challenge with the eggs. 

• Like 2

We minimize latex exposure in our kids because it's one that's likely genetic in nature.  

I have sensitivities to some adhesives. There are different classes of adhesives: micropore paper tape, durapore (silk) tape, standard tegaderm, tegaderm HP---all use different adhesives. Once you are sensitive to one, it's more likely for you to become sensitive to another.  There are barrier sprays and other things you can do to protect yourself, but there are VERY few medical personal who are well-versed in how to handle such things. I travel with a number of things in my purse because most facilities aren't stocked with them or give you a lot of hassle about whether or not you are really allergic. When you pull out the bag-o-supplies and give them the number to your allergist, they perk up and pay attention.

I wondered if it wasn't likely genetic. We keep latex-free bandages in the house for DH and now for dd, just in case. I may talk to the allergist, then, especially since DH is allergic. 

• Like 1

I would call a butcher and ask.  In our area, it would be more likely at an independent butcher's (versus one just in the grocery store).  

I called The Meating Place which is the only one I know of off hand and they're out. She said it was popular. I'll talk to Matt when he gets home. He'll know more than I do.

• Like 2

I'm trying to make the most of my plan to eat membership. Here are our meals for the next two weeks:

Snacks: Greek Salad/Roasted Parmesan Sweet Potatos

Sunday: White Cheese Chicken Lasagna/Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Casserole

Monday: Beef Tips In Wine Sauce with Steamed Broccoli/Filet Minion in Balsamic Glaze and Greek Salad

Tuesday: Leftovers from Sunday cuz Mama works

Wednesday: Mexican Sushi/Garlic Parmesan Chicken with Baked Parmesan Tomatoes

Thursday: The Very Best fish Recipe Ever/Cilantro Coconut Shrimp Soup

Friday: Burgers/Burgers

Saturday (dinners go unplanned but we make nice breakfasts) :Spicy Chorizo Scotch Eggs with Dutch Babies/Sweet Potato, Apple and Panchetta Hash

• Like 3

Gotta admit, I could picture you making blood sausage, Slache, but not on a rez. Wow! You haz seen stuff, if life on the rez is like my other friends'.

Any ideas on building up tolerance for school with my sensory kid? We have dropped to an all-time low of 3 min. As in, meltdowns are beginning three minutes in.  I know, because of the timer.  The rewards aren't worth working for anymore, apparently.

• Like 1

Gotta admit, I could picture you making blood sausage, Slache, but not on a rez. Wow! You haz seen stuff, if life on the rez is like my other friends'.

Any ideas on building up tolerance for school with my sensory kid? We have dropped to an all-time low of 3 min. As in, meltdowns are beginning three minutes in.  I know, because of the timer.  The rewards aren't worth working for anymore, apparently.

Describe the student and the issues.

Sensory seeking or avoiding?  How old?  Has he had OT?  What have you tried?

Honey, I'm sorry. I have the pest control man here and am making beds and such for The Boyfriend's arrival. I have ideas but no time at the present to share. :(

I will say that OT was the most helpful thing for my sensory kid at that age. 

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 2

I had almost 2 days of being headache-free.  Now it's back and I'm holed up in my room.

Allergies at our house:

me:  wheat, oats, barley -- so I'm 100 percent gluten free.  I will have reactions from touching bread...

limes -- I can handle a tiny bit of lime juice if it's in salsa, but I can't drink Sprite.

all animals -- some worse than others.  This is why I hate cats.  (Sorry.)

ds15:  grass and all trees

dd13: red dye #40

dd11: latex

dd9:  whatever chemical in wet wipes that some companies recently removed

dd7:  red dye #40

dd5:  none known

dh:  none

Didn't mean to be a thread killer! I'll go delete!

I logged in after my nap just in time to read everything before you deleted it.  It wasn't a thread killer -- it was you sharing your difficulties with us.  I didn't mind.  I just wish I knew how to help.   :grouphug:

• Like 3

Ack, I was out dealing with my Teen Wiggle Worm and you put up and took down posts! 

I have two differently challenging kids.  Since I don't know age or problems I will say some general things:

For my overly sensitive child, we did routine, routine, routine.  I had a chart up with our routine.  I would just point to the next thing on the routine.  If there was a meltdown (and there were many) I would deal with it (mostly by allowing him to calm down) and then we would go back to the routine.  The biggest things that caused meltdowns for this particular child were math and spelling because they were concrete subjects with "right" or "wrong" answers.  So I had a script before math and spelling.  "Now remember, it's ok to get something wrong.  If it is wrong, you say "that's ok" and you take a deep breath and you try again."  I think it was two years of daily meltdowns (and daily recitation of the script) before one day he said "That's ok.", took a deep breath and tried again.  You could have knocked me over with a feather.  I tried to limit distractions.  Going gluten free helped this particular child.

For my hyper child, we did active hands on activities.  Math time?  Bring out the ball and the hop-scotch chalk etc.  Phonics?  We did at the mall as we walked around.  Even as a teen we have two full days of project time for her.  Getting plenty of exercise and plenty of sleep helped.  She melts down for subjective subjects and is the exact opposite of her brother. 

• Like 5

Prairiewindmomma, sorry I didn't see your original posts.  Please put them back up, or post them again sometime.  I don't have any kids with sensitivity issues, so I would not dare give advice.  My parenting advice is usually based on what I can handle more so than what the kids can handle anyway.  :lol:

But someone here (Tex, Renai, or others) will know more than I do!  (I can say with confidence!  :D )

• Like 4

Didn't mean to be a thread killer! I'll go delete!

You're not a thread killer!

I just don't have kiddos your age or with SPD. My nephew has SPD, but he's only 3 1/2. His school issues are totally different right now. (Plus, school was letting out, so I had to go do my job.  :thumbdown: )

ETA: NOT a thread killer BOOYA/H! 

Btw, I do the a/h so that I can be Switzerland and remain neutral. ;) 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 7

Prairie :grouphug: I missed it all, and I am certain it was NOT a thread killer.

I am home from the skiing adventure. One small boy in our group broke his leg :crying: (not one of mine). He handled it like a trooper. I on the other hand am pretty sure I am dying, lol.

Didn't get much done. I manned our group table and with so many people coming and going, there was more talk than action. But they are nice people so it's all good:-) I am very thankful for my peeps.

• Like 7