Menu

Ignore this thread!

Just realized I never addressed this.

No. None that we know of. As long as we stay away from his allergens, he is perfectly healthy.

I assumed you were avoiding the question. Whenever I ask a personal question I always pair it with a non personal question so you can pretend you forgot to answer the personal one. ;)

When I hear about kids with multiple allergies I don't believe they're unrelated. I think there's an underlying condition that causes that, I just haven't found anyone that can tell me what it is.

• Like 1

I missed it all, too. :crying:

I'm thankful that we didn't have any major medical issues in our home. Y'all are amazing.

A good friend is not only a worst-case-scenario celiac, but she's also deathly allergic to dairy, tropical oils, and tropical fruits. She also cannot tolerate corn--not an allergy, exactly, but it gives her headaches. She is allergic to almost all prescription drugs.

I'm allergic to dust mites. The end.

• Like 5

I assumed you were avoiding the question. Whenever I ask a personal question I always pair it with a non personal question so you can pretend you forgot to answer the personal one. ;)

When I hear about kids with multiple allergies I don't believe they're unrelated. I think there's an underlying condition that causes that, I just haven't found anyone that can tell me what it is.

Well, the underlying condition then would be the fact that his immune system works differently and reads those food items as a threat.

His food allergies ARE the underlying condition with regard to the rashes and psoriasis and behavior problems and mood swings - all of which completely disappear when we avoid his allergens.

So to me, when I see kids with full body rashes and unexplainable meltdowns, I think, huh, I wonder if that kid has undiagnosed food allergies/sensitivities. Food allergies causing the other stuff, not other stuff causing the food allergies.

Not every kid out there has food allergies, of course, and there are many things which cause rashes and/ or behavior that are very real. I am just saying in the context of "what is causing the food allergies" - I just see it as the main issue not caused by some other issue with my kid.

If you want to talk about the rise in food allergies in the general population overall, that is whole other ball of wax. There are so many different opinions, that I tend to just joke random things. Like, it's probably the prenatal vitamins. Or people just aren't careful about not walking under ladders these days.

• Like 6

In my family's case, it is due to pure orneriness. :D

• Like 6

There is a growing body of research that shows that autoimmune diseases....and allergies....are all related.  There are a lot of popular theories (leaky gut, environmental triggers switching on genes, etc.) but in actuality there is very little known about autoimmune crap--the dynamics of triggers, and realistic possibilities of a cure.  The knowledge is growing, and connections are being made, but it's complex and as we are all walking around with different genomic sequences...complicated.

HLA-DRB1....go read up on that gene some time. I find the implications mind-blowing.

• Like 6

Because I became convinced of the Classical Education Model. I love it. Now.... I'm in an educational crisis because we don't classically homeschool. Well, we do Latin and Greek, and that's about all. My kids would rather just "get it done" and go on to other things, so we have devolved to a more boxed curriculum approach. And I spend my days thinking....why am I doing this? I could send the kids to the parochial school DS1 goes to and then I could have a cleaner house, join a ladies Bible Study, work in my garden more.... I'm really having a struggle here. I'm feeling like I need to do some soul searching and somehow adjust my expectations and let go of my dreams if I am going to continue to homeschool because I can't keep reading the articles in the Memoria Press catalog and get depressed like I am now.

I meant to reply to this earlier, but got distracted.

I know what you mean about giving up your dream homeschool.  In my case, I know what I would like our homeschool to be like (mostly CM, as explained in Karen Glass's Consider This), but I'm just not capable of implementing it.  Part of it is me.  Part of it is who my dh is, and his priorities.  Part of it is the kids.  But most of it is me.  And I don't really even have any good reasons - I don't battle fatigue or illness, I don't have lots of extra burdens placed on me.  I just cannot do it.   

But I suppose I have accepted this "failure" and moved on.  I still see the value of homeschooling.  I still choke at the thought of private school tuition.  I still see the benefit of doing this even if it's not up to my perfect dream.  (I think having one in private school helps.  His education is okay there, but it's not worth the cost of the tuition.  And of my remaining kids, the ones who *might* get their money's worth there don't need to go because they're disciplined enough to get what they need without an institution holding their feet to the fire.) 

If it makes you feel any better - while I love the resources MP uses, I hate how they turn around and suck the joy right out of them with their comprehension-filled workbooks.  So, (imho) don't lose another wink of sleep over the MP catalog.  :rant:   :D

Okay, I don't know if that helps or if that feels more like a kick while you're down.  :grouphug:

• Like 6

Also, I made lemon bread with my precious meyer lemons, and it was awful---like pitch in the trash awful. I am sad.

I really, really hate it when you waste good ingredients on bad recipes.

:crying: those things are precious and so is the time you put in. And now your mouth is watering, and there is nothing to put in it.

• Like 2

Also, I made lemon bread with my precious meyer lemons, and it was awful---like pitch in the trash awful. I am sad.

I really, really hate it when you waste good ingredients on bad recipes.

:crying: those things are precious and so is the time you put in. And now your mouth is watering, and there is nothing to put in it.

Sharing time...

Dh has taken the kids to see Star Wars, so I am giving myself a little time for sadness. A couple days ago my orchestra director let us know that he is retiring at the end of the season (May). He could not divulge details, but I suspect it is due to conflict with "the powers that be" and he has decided it is time to go. It is uncertain what will become of the orchestra, but regardless it will be the end of an era. I've played with many of these musicians for over 20 years (some of them have been in the group since the opening season in 1988) and we have been through marriage and divorce and death and birth together, frustration and grumpiness and laughter, and Europe.

The next thing is that we have informed the co-op director that we will not be returning next year. Dh spoke to her and said she was a bit surprised. They will survive and we will be glad to move on.

I am worn out. The ice cream has not helped as expected. Possibly I need more. :D

• Like 3

In the Magical Good News category, Mr. Ellie and I are planning a trip to Disneyland some time in the spring. :party:

Ok, we'll also be visiting both dds and dgs (dear grandson), but we can visit them any time. This is Disneyland's 60th anniversary year, and we have to be there for that. We missed the celebration by only a couple of weeks when we were there last May. :scared:

• Like 7

There is a growing body of research that shows that autoimmune diseases....and allergies....are all related.  There are a lot of popular theories (leaky gut, environmental triggers switching on genes, etc.) but in actuality there is very little known about autoimmune crap--the dynamics of triggers, and realistic possibilities of a cure.  The knowledge is growing, and connections are being made, but it's complex and as we are all walking around with different genomic sequences...complicated.

HLA-DRB1....go read up on that gene some time. I find the implications mind-blowing.

I am fairly convinced that my food allergies and RA are linked.  

• Like 5

Sharing time...

Dh has taken the kids to see Star Wars, so I am giving myself a little time for sadness. A couple days ago my orchestra director let us know that he is retiring at the end of the season (May). He could not divulge details, but I suspect it is due to conflict with "the powers that be" and he has decided it is time to go. It is uncertain what will become of the orchestra, but regardless it will be the end of an era. I've played with many of these musicians for over 20 years (some of them have been in the group since the opening season in 1988) and we have been through marriage and divorce and death and birth together, frustration and grumpiness and laughter, and Europe.

The next thing is that we have informed the co-op director that we will not be returning next year. Dh spoke to her and said she was a bit surprised. They will survive and we will be glad to move on.

I am worn out. The ice cream has not helped as expected. Possibly I need more. :D

I'm sad for you about the orchestra.

I'm happy for you about co-op.

I'm thinking you need fudge. Got fudge?

• Like 3

On my list of family food allergies I forgot a big one.

Ds15 has (undiagnosed) oral allergy syndrome. He can't eat most raw fruits because somehow his body gets the fruit and tree pollens mixed up.

DS had a day care teacher with that, I believe. She couldn't eat or serve them apples at snack time. The other teacher had to.

• Like 1

Do you have an opinion on which one is the root problem, or do you think they are equally culpable?

Have you always had both?

I was diagnosed with RA just a few weeks after dd9 was born.  "They" say that stress or childbirth can bring it on.  I had a lot of difficulty moving, especially first thing in the morning or in the middle of the night.  I nursed the baby, but when she woke in the middle of the night, dh had to help me sit up and bring the baby to me.  On a few especially bad nights, he had to hold the baby while I nursed her.  (And, she was bitty.)

Fast forward several months and I found out that I was expecting (dd7).  I had to go off all my meds.  Since I hadn't found the WTM forums ;) , I spent a lot of time with google, finding out as much as I could about RA.

One day it occurred to me that I could be allergic to some food that I was eating, which would be engaging my immune system, thus making the RA symptoms worse.  After dd7 was born I went for allergy testing and found out that I'm allergic to wheat, etc.

I went on a gluten free diet and within 6 weeks I felt about 80 percent better.  I gave up my cane and all my prescription meds.

But, after I went gf, I became very sensitive to it.  I can't touch it or smell it (bread baking, for instance) without getting sick.  Sometimes it's a rash, sometimes gastrointestinal problems that last for weeks.

Looking back, my mom said that I had a lot of rashes as a child.  And I was sickly.

I *think* that I have probably been allergic to wheat most/all of my life and that (through leaky gut, possibly) caused my RA.

And, I have written a book.   :D

• Like 5

Okay, I don't know if that helps or if that feels more like a kick while you're down. :grouphug:

No, it helps a lot, actually! It helps me gain perspective, which is what I desperately need. It helps to know that other people have been through it, too, and continue to persevere. And I need to stop fighting this and just take it.
  • Like 3

I was diagnosed with RA just a few weeks after dd9 was born. "They" say that stress or childbirth can bring it on. I had a lot of difficulty moving, especially first thing in the morning or in the middle of the night. I nursed the baby, but when she woke in the middle of the night, dh had to help me sit up and bring the baby to me. On a few especially bad nights, he had to hold the baby while I nursed her. (And, she was bitty.)

Fast forward several months and I found out that I was expecting (dd7). I had to go off all my meds. Since I hadn't found the WTM forums ;) , I spent a lot of time with google, finding out as much as I could about RA.

One day it occurred to me that I could be allergic to some food that I was eating, which would be engaging my immune system, thus making the RA symptoms worse. After dd7 was born I went for allergy testing and found out that I'm allergic to wheat, etc.

I went on a gluten free diet and within 6 weeks I felt about 80 percent better. I gave up my cane and all my prescription meds.

But, after I went gf, I became very sensitive to it. I can't touch it or smell it (bread baking, for instance) without getting sick. Sometimes it's a rash, sometimes gastrointestinal problems that last for weeks.

Looking back, my mom said that I had a lot of rashes as a child. And I was sickly.

I *think* that I have probably been allergic to wheat most/all of my life and that (through leaky gut, possibly) caused my RA.

And, I have written a book. :D

I have no doubt my DS would have had lots of issues if we had not accidentally figured out he was allergic to eggs. Those first 6 months of dealing with this cream and that to address his skin issues was horrible. I knew they weren't helping.

Then we ran out of eggs, and DS was slow to buy more. The rest is history.

• Like 3

DS can't eat it baked, either. :(

He has contact reactions to egg, as well.

Sucks.  I miss my morning eggs, which incidentally I only started eating when I was pregnant with DS.  How's that for mommy guilt?

Allergies/intolerances

Dd16: ibuprofen. When she was younger, we had her on the Feingold diet and found she was really sensitive to grapes and oranges. It came out in her behavior. Now that she's older, she doesn't stick to the diet, although she says she felt better on it.

Gymnast:

dairy (including goat) except for hard cheeses 

strawberries 

citrus 

All of which I ate almost daily when pregnant with her.

Also papaya 

pineapple 

soy

We keep away from grapes and ibuprofen because of dd16's issues.

Me: none. Although every time I stop eating bread (like this week), all the bloat disappears completely. This is only the second time I've cut it, but the change is noticeable.

• Like 3

I meant that my post was as long as a book. :)

However, I do have several books in my head that I would like to write. None of them about food allergies, though.

Well, I liked your thoughts, so I guess I just assumed you really had written a book!!!!!! Too funny.

• Like 4

So, yesterday we went to a dermatologist for dd16's skin condition that was worsening. They've diagnosed it as morphea, or localized scleroderma, an autoimmune disorder. They say it should die out in 3-5 years, but leaves the skin scarred. It is also problematic if it covers the joints, so they want to keep watch because it is moving closer to her knee. There is no cure, but they prescribe a corticosteriod and vitamin d-derived creams to keep the symptoms at bay and keep it from spreading.

• Like 2

So, yesterday we went to a dermatologist for dd16's skin condition that was worsening. They've diagnosed it as morphea, or localized scleroderma, an autoimmune disorder. They say it should die out in 3-5 years, but leaves the skin scarred. It is also problematic if it covers the joints, so they want to keep watch because it is moving closer to her knee. There is no cure, but they prescribe a corticosteriod and vitamin d-derived creams to keep the symptoms at bay and keep it from spreading.

:grouphug:

I'm loving the allergy conversation. Fascinating.

Ibuprofen makes me overheat. The hospital didn't believe me and they almost killed me. They had to manually bring my temperature down right after my c-section and denied that it could have been the ibuprofen. They didn't offer me more though. ;)

I had a rash for 4 years. A long and detailed story later and it was a milk allergy. No other signs of a milk allergy.

Gluten causes chronic fatigue and a few minor things.

Latex gave me 12 UTIs my first year of marriage. Doctors told me over and over again it wasn't possible, but once I stopped using latex my UTIs stopped.

Ikslo, I know it's an autoimmune response, but why? There's something there we don't understand and if we did we would probably be able to cure it. I'm interested in anything you would be willing to share on the matter. You *might* know more about this than I do.

And, it has been decided we are definitely switching tracks in the middle of her high school year. We are changing to conceptual chemistry for one. She will work on it until she finishes, into her 11th grade year. What she's completed so far and the rest of the year I'll label Chemistry 1A, and when she completes the course, call it Chem 1B. Or something like that. We are doing the same for geometry. I'm switching her to Teaching Textbooks, which she used and was successful with when studying algebra. I really thought she'd do better with a live class, but it is moving too fast for her. One of the things we discussed was her desire to study at her pace, which she named as one of the reasons she wanted to return to homeschooling in the first place. 

• Like 6

:svengo:

I escape from blood and urine soaked doggy diapers and you're discussing autoimmune disease.  I actually started googling the gene mentioned.  :willy_nilly:

I think I'm going to go read up on something light, instead.  Like nuclear proliferation in 3rd world rogue states.

(My own descent into the autoimmune disease h*ll/rabbithole began with trying to have a baby.  I have an autoimmune reaction to pregnancy which also revealed a stand-alone autoimmune disease, and I was described by an endo as having "sub-clinical lupus."  The subject really is fascinating.  But not right now. :willy_nilly: )

• Like 7

All of my autoimmune stuff popped up each time post-pregnancy. My body does not re-set the correct way.  There is a high correlation between allergies/asthma, Hashimoto's, and R.A. 

I think the recipe did not have enough proper fat and the ratio of flour/sugar was a bit off.

I am making caramels to console myself (and give to my sister).

• Like 7

Oh, Renai! Biggest hugs imaginable to your dd. How is she taking it?

• Like 2

Ibuprofen makes me overheat. The hospital didn't believe me and they almost killed me. They had to manually bring my temperature down right after my c-section and denied that it could have been the ibuprofen. They didn't offer me more though. ;)

I had a rash for 4 years. A long and detailed story later and it was a milk allergy. No other signs of a milk allergy.

Latex gave me 12 UTIs my first year of marriage. Doctors told me over and over again it wasn't possible, but once I stopped using latex my UTIs stopped.

Ikslo, I know it's an autoimmune response, but why? There's something there we don't understand and if we did we would probably be able to cure it. I'm interested in anything you would be willing to share on the matter. You *might* know more about this than I do.

No, I probably don't. To be honest, I was really depressed about it for awhile. And most of what I read was so different than what we were seeing, I lost faith in allergists. My current allergist is better than our first, so there's that, but I should be more up on it than I am. I am also liking this conversation, though. I will probably do some reading on the stuff mentioned by others this weekend. ;)

• Like 3

No, I probably don't. To be honest, I was really depressed about it for awhile. And most of what I read was so different than what we were seeing, I lost faith in allergists. My current allergist is better than our first, so there's that, but I should be more up on it than I am. I am also liking this conversation, though. I will probably do some reading on the stuff mentioned by others this weekend. ;)

I believe we strongly underestimate food allergies, hormones, and by extension the effect that food and drugs have on our bodies.

Speaking of filling ourselves up with crap, Daddy's making fry read for me. It would have cost like $7 to get the fat so he's just making it in shortening. I could never get the flavor right anyway. I think the unique flavor came from the act that they made it with their bare hands and they never washed their hands or bathed.  :mellow:

Edited by Slache
  • Like 2

Ds15 has (undiagnosed) oral allergy syndrome.  He can't eat most raw fruits because somehow his body gets the fruit and tree pollens mixed up.

I think I have a mild oral allergic reaction to things like any kind of melon, avocado, bell peppers, and broccoli. I ate sliced cucumbers today and my lips started to feel like they were blistering. (It's hard to explain, but it feels kind of like if you have chapped lips and you peel some of the skin off.) It eventually goes away, but I didn't eat any more cucumbers.

I had a pretty scary reaction to some strawberries I ate in class one day. I had to call the nurse and she came running with benadryl pills and some liquid benadryl. I think I didn't wash them well enough, but who knows. It happens sporadically.  

Gluten is horrid for me. I feel like I have the flu.

I used to suffer from alopecia areata due to gluten, I believe. I lost some spots of hair in the front of my scalp that are still thin and I lost parts of my eyelashes that still haven't grown back. 

I also experience massive mood swings, anxiety, depression, and paranoia. It also give me dyshidrotic eczema on my feet (little blisters that itch like hades). 

There are over 200 variable symptoms for celiac and gluten-intolerance. It's crazy!

I do not like the gluten. :/ 

As for the latex, Skyn is a really good non-latex alternative. In case you ever need them. :) 

• Like 3

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

You probably have, but I'll ask anyway, in case it helps any ITT peeps. :hat:

Have you done the Autoimmun Protocol (AIP)? Many people with autoimmune diseases have really seen improvements in pretty much everything.

This site is also helpful.

• Like 2

There is a growing body of research that shows that autoimmune diseases....and allergies....are all related. There are a lot of popular theories (leaky gut, environmental triggers switching on genes, etc.) but in actuality there is very little known about autoimmune crap--the dynamics of triggers, and realistic possibilities of a cure. The knowledge is growing, and connections are being made, but it's complex and as we are all walking around with different genomic sequences...complicated.

Quoting so I can find this again. Ă°Å¸ËœÅ½

• Like 1

DS just beat AGAIN in me two different games of Professor Noggin's - Civil War and Human Body. I do not let him win. This really is starting to be a problem for me.

On the plus side, he credited me as an awesome teacher. I think he was just trying to make me feel better.

• Like 9

Morphea: UVA1 light treatments are now used fairly regularly as the gold-standard treatment. Methotrexate and Plaquenil are also used.  We had rebound issues with sustained corticosteroid use. 

Hmmm. She did have rebound big time the first time she was given a corticosteroid back in August/September. We had to drive an hour for this specialist appointment, and she's just changing the med - same class. Neither are what you listed, but I can't remember the name. (Ack! I didn't write it down, and I usually write down everything. I think it started with an F.) We still don't have it yet. I'm going to have to call the pharmacy or the clinic to figure out what is going on. (Everything is done electronically; hardly any written scripts anymore.)

Sharing time...

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Yes, you need more.  

• Like 3

Oh, Renai! Biggest hugs imaginable to your dd. How is she taking it?

We had been discussing earlier about how God isn't fair, and when she heard that what she has only affects 0.03% of the population, she said, "See? What's fair?"

She is on year 2 of this condition, so either at the tail end or somewhere in the middle of its lifespan.

Here's a couple of pictures taken at the end of December:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1biIRsSMXUXEZ6JG6qzJ8ffVJouO1h1Ha4Q/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PJegYLMbeXTKdaDBfWmJXxmr7Wqh56cQvg/view?usp=sharing

Ds15 has (undiagnosed) oral allergy syndrome.  He can't eat most raw fruits because somehow his body gets the fruit and tree pollens mixed up.

I'm liking this as a form of commiserating.  (I have it too.  It sucks, and it gets continually worse.  Latest additions to my list are cinnamon and tomatoes.)

• Like 1