Menu

Ignore this thread!

Am still in jammies (12:30 central time). Have finished the little program for a [very] small conference that's happening this Saturday and drop-boxed it to the coordinator. Have spent much time on FB, between Hashimoto's discussions and Harry Potter Room of Requirement discussions.

That is all.

• Like 4

Ok, so, when y'all go to homeschool conventions or conferences, are the vendors actual homeschool services or products, or everything else? The few at this conference have actually nothing to do with homeschooling, and it bugs me. I'm not in charge of that, but I can still put in my two cents' worth.

• Like 2

Sort of like Wheel of Fortune, when one person has most of the letters but lands on "bankrupt," so the next person solves it and wins. If I quit now, someone else will get the booya. Maybe I can make that sacrifice, because that's just the kind of person I am.

:hat:

• Like 5

Ok, so, when y'all go to homeschool conventions or conferences, are the vendors actual homeschool services or products, or everything else? The few at this conference have actually nothing to do with homeschooling, and it bugs me. I'm not in charge of that, but I can still put in my two cents' worth.

Both. My Father's World, Sonlight, Abeka, RightStart, Math-U-See, some publishing companies, toy vendors, a few ministries. I'd say there are 100 Homeschool vendors, 10 ministries, and 5 publishing companies. There's also a drama group, a civil war reenactment group and things like that. All things that would apply to homeschoolers. I've been to the OCEANetwork conference twice.

Dd is very upset with Khan right now. For some inexplicable reason it dropped her from 25% mastery of 8th grade to 13% mastery. She's just going to have to "suck it up Buttercup" and keep working because I can't change that number. A bright side for her is that she will earn her 20% frozen yogurt twice!

What is the eventual goal percentage-wise?

I haven't been to a homeschool conference since ds18 was in first grade.

I love ours. We have speakers like Heidi St. John and graduated homeschool kids. I hung out with Wanda Senseri (Spell To Write and Read) for 2 hours one year and the vendors are great because I get to pick at everything. I had an interesting conversation with the author of The Mystery of History which makes me uncomfortable with her product and I've talked theology with the Amish publishers. Plus, there's pizza.
  • Like 1

I love ours. We have speakers like Heidi St. John and graduated homeschool kids. I hung out with Wanda Senseri (Spell To Write and Read) for 2 hours one year and the vendors are great because I get to pick at everything. I had an interesting conversation with the author of The Mystery of History which makes me uncomfortable with her product and I've talked theology with the Amish publishers. Plus, there's pizza.

I don't have the money or the stamina or really even the interest.  It's ok.  You go and enjoy it for me!  (And I can't shouldn't eat pizza.)

• Like 2

I haven't been to a homeschool conference since ds18 was in first grade.

It's been a long time since I've been to a conference. I met a WTMer face-to-face with my first conference. I stayed with her at her house overnight, and left dd16 with her kids. It was fun. She is still on the boards, and we "try" to meet when she comes up this way.

Dh had never heard of homeschooling before. I took a picture of the lobby full of homeschoolers at the conference, and it was enough for him to know I wasn't making stuff up.  :lol:

• Like 5

I don't have the money or the stamina or really even the interest. It's ok. You go and enjoy it for me! (And I can't shouldn't eat pizza.)

The two times I went it was free because my kids were so young. Now it's not. :( I don't think we're going this year because it's the month after Babiness, but it's $10 to just go to the vendor hall, so I think I might have to do that. We'll see.
  • Like 2

I don't have the money or the stamina or really even the interest.  It's ok.  You go and enjoy it for me!  (And I can't shouldn't eat pizza.)

There is only one state organization, so the conferences are very one-sided. It is not expensive, but they only have couples rates. I emailed last year and I told them my dh doesn't speak much English, and sitting in seminars and workshops would not be his idea of fun. At all. They offer scholarships for single parent families, and hardships, but no rate for one parent that wants to go and the other stay home. I even asked if I could take my daughter instead of dh for the rate, and it was a no. It was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard. 

• Like 1

I am here, and have managed to bite the head off of every person in the house, but no one has died yet. So there's that.

Congratulations to Buddy - good job!

Boo for headaches.

I only want to go to a convention if I can stay in a nice hotel that has room service.

Dh took ds and his stuff back to the university.

The only thing I have managed to accomplish so far today (aside from biting off heads) is freezing my hands off while refilling the birdfeeders. I hope they appreciate it.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 7

Yeah, I don't really need a homeschool conference any more, but a bunch of us go together, go out to dinner one night, etc.  Tons of fun just to go away together.  I always make a list of curricula I want to spend time looking at, then I get there and I can't settle my mind down enough to focus on it. 

• Like 1

I just helped dd9, dd7, and dd5 clean up out their room.  Let me just say, it needed to be done.  We kind of scrapped homeschooling because dh is home; instead we took a few hundred things (and an entire bag of trash) out of their room.

:hurray:

• Like 3

After this weekend, I'm going to talk to TPTB and ask about whom they invited as exhibitors. It's a very small event (held in two rooms at a public library, only five workshops), but surely they could still have had catalogs from different publishers.

• Like 4

School is done. I have a headache. I am grouchy. I feel like biting heads off, but I haven't yet. I don't feel like cooking supper. I don't feel like doing anything. It is almost time to pick up dd16 so I will have to start the van so it can warm up because it is 18F. So I guess I will have to do something even though I don't wanna.

• Like 4

So, at this event, none of the speakers are being paid, and so giving them tables in the vendor hall is a nice gesture. Oh, and Jann Perkins is doing a workshop. :-) Anyway, there are nine vendors: One Life Health Coaches; Georgetown Vacation Liberty School; Rosanne Hood; Boots and Chutes Model Rocketry Assn. of TX; Irene Frank; Elin Criswell; Champion's Way Taekwondo; Christian Youth Theater Austin. Not a single homeschool publisher, supplier, etc. Please don't remind me that Taekwondo and Model Rocketry are educational. You know what I mean. :-)

• Like 4

So, at this event, none of the speakers are being paid, and so giving them tables in the vendor hall is a nice gesture. Oh, and Jann Perkins is doing a workshop. :-) Anyway, there are nine vendors: One Life Health Coaches; Georgetown Vacation Liberty School; Rosanne Hood; Boots and Chutes Model Rocketry Assn. of TX; Irene Frank; Elin Criswell; Champion's Way Taekwondo; Christian Youth Theater Austin. Not a single homeschool publisher, supplier, etc. Please don't remind me that Taekwondo and Model Rocketry are educational. You know what I mean. :-)

I must live under a rock. I don't know who those people are. Well, except Jann.

• Like 3

I still haven't gotten out of bed. I've been in bed reading and drinking coffee and listening to the kids tell stories. Matt made breakfast, cleaned the kitchen and did laundry. I'm sorry you've all had to do things.

Being in a bed is better than living under a rock.

I have planted myself on the sofa with laptop. I did work some with Gymnast on Khan, and then she wanted to work in her Kumon pasting jigsaw puzzles book. I also told dd we can work on her ancient history timeline today, and I will start planning dd16's study of Gilgamesh in Spanish (this requires me to actually read the stuff I printed out from the Mexican government's free textbook site).

What I really need to do is Konmari everything. But, there are not enough hours in the day for that. I will probably eventually Konmari something, just not sure what. Probably more clothes. But I'm out of hangers. #thestruggleisreal

• Like 1

I am one load of clean laundry away from being caught up with laundry.  :svengo:

Then tonight I start what I hope will be my new system.  I will gather whatever is in the hampers at the end of the day and I will wash them in one load and will dry them over night.  Then I will fold and put away one load of laundry every morning.  I don't know if this will work, but I'm hopeful.  I'm not telling dh because I don't want to get his hopes up.

Oooh lookey here!  A clean laundry booyah!  Sorry, Ellie, I didn't mean to steal your thunder.  

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

I am one load of clean laundry away from being caught up with laundry.  :svengo:

Then tonight I start what I hope will be my new system.  I will gather whatever is in the hampers at the end of the day and I will wash them in one load and will dry them over night.  Then I will fold and put away one load of laundry every morning.  I don't know if this will work, but I'm hopeful.  I'm not telling dh because I don't want to get his hopes up. 

Good plan. I don't tell dh many of my plans either, because I don't like letting him down. Or me, either, for that matter.  :huh:

• Like 1