Menu

Ignore this thread!

36 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Our vet has suggested that when we have him fixed, they will remove all the fur growing in his ears.  Makes me queasy just thinking about it.

Doesn't hurt them.  I used to pluck our spoo's ear hair with hemostats.  She was used to it and it didn't bother her.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slache said:

Yes. Also, anal glands.

To clarify, I was suggesting to have the anal glands removed. You're going to pay like $140 to put your dog asleep, $40 for testing, $100 to have it at the vet, and $20 to have it fixed. Having the anal glands removed is just another $20 on top of everything you're already paying, since you're doing it anyway.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slache said:

To clarify, I was suggesting to have the anal glands removed. You're going to pay like $140 to put your dog asleep, $40 for testing, $100 to have it at the vet, and $20 to have it fixed. Having the anal glands removed is just another $20 on top of everything you're already paying, since you're doing it anyway.

I didn't even know that was a thing!  

I was a worried for a minute that I'd managed an Anal Gland Booyah.  Whew!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Haha 3

Hopefully this isn't too controversial for ITT but I am against altering dog bodies unless there is actual disease.  Our vet has never ever mentioned plucking hairs in the ears.  We treat the actual cause of the problem - allergies in this case.  Adding pumpkin to my dog's food has solved the gland problem so that they work the way that they are supposed to work. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Hopefully this isn't too controversial for ITT but I am against altering dog bodies unless there is actual disease.  Our vet has never ever mentioned plucking hairs in the ears.  We treat the actual cause of the problem - allergies in this case.  Adding pumpkin to my dog's food has solved the gland problem so that they work the way that they are supposed to work. 

Generally, I feel the same way, but anal gland complications are very painful and costly. I also remove warts prematurely to avoid thin skin problems as I've seen several dogs not heal for years.

Anal gland complications are also rare and many vets do not support the idea.

Well, there's the anal gland Booya.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/16/2021 at 1:44 PM, Susan in TN said:

I was getting ready to put the purple cloth on the front door for Lent and discovered that our Christmas wreath was still up! 😂  Never noticed it hiding in plain sight.

I don´t usually notice our Christmas wreath is still hanging up until the following Christmas...I just looked up, and there it is!

On 2/16/2021 at 2:57 PM, Wheres Toto said:

If you run an organization, how much do you do to make sure people know when you are closed?  

Not sure if there's something more I should do or if I just accept that some people will forget and either show up when we're closed or not show up when we are open (that doesn't seem to happen as often).  

Just accept it, lol. It is just going to happen. I know you said you don't want to send out a bunch of emails or text messages unless it's an emergency, but I think an email reminder about no classes the following week is generally appreciated.

18 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. It's still snowing. We saw the sun yesterday for a while, but it was so cold, it didn't do much except make things very bright. We are expecting a few more inches today, but it could be worse. We have power for one thing, all the animals are inside (including chickens) and we are staying warmer than most with wood heat. Also have plenty of food. 

Not much longer now and it will be spring. 

The snow hasn't been as bad as we thought it would be- only about a foot altogether- and it was a balmy 23 degrees today. There were areas where extra caution had to be taken, but our areas have been relatively clear. Where my husband is working, up near the mountains, had piles of snow, however. I asked him wasn't he glad that his non-4-wheel truck went kaput in the fall, forcing us to buy another vehicle, with AWD, in cash. It is truly a blessing. His old truck would not have made it to the job areas he's in now.

Spring schming. We've had snow on Mother's Day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I couldn't read anything past this.  My brain freaked out a little.  Why are swimmers so crazy?!?

IKR?  I should post a picture sometime.  So, she got an hour of swim yesterday at the indoor rec pool, one city over and declared that she prefers outside.  😳  🤣  In case I haven't said this before, our team consulted with a multitude of physicians and swim teams in other locations and determined that there is no danger as long as the water is heated above a certain minimum. 

22 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Dh's and my 30th anniversary is in June.  I want to go to Belize.  He wants to go to a national park.  We are not sure if we will go anywhere or do anything, but it's fun to think about.

A good chance to plan a dream trip - you are so good at that!  Dd wants to go to London, but I told her no because we can't drive there, lol.  

• Like 5

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday!

We are having really nasty winter weather today.  We are supposed to be back and forth between snow and freezing rain today.  And the temperatures are not going to get above freezing.  We don't have anywhere that we're supposed to be.  I'm praying that we don't lose power.  (Our only non-electric heat source is inadequate.)

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday!

We are having really nasty winter weather today.  We are supposed to be back and forth between snow and freezing rain today.  And the temperatures are not going to get above freezing.  We don't have anywhere that we're supposed to be.  I'm praying that we don't lose power.  (Our only non-electric heat source is inadequate.)

I hope your power stays on, too, Junie. All our heating is done with natural gas. Our heater and hot water heater are all gas. I’m not sure if any delivery mechanisms are electrical, though. Our stove top is gas, but the igniter is electric. But that’s easy enough in a power outage, we just use a match.

• Like 4

Our house is all electric, except for a gas fireplace that doesn't give off very much heat.

We purposely avoided gas when we bought this house.  At the time, I had lost my sense of smell (and taste) and we didn't know if it would ever come back.  Since I was going to be home with six children under 10, we didn't think it was a good idea because I would never be able to smell gas if there was a problem.

The gas fireplace will keep up from freezing, but we will have to camp in the living room and probably still be cold.

• Like 3

Good morning!

From the mound of snow on our deck railing, I'd say we got a couple inches of snow overnight.  Pup was bounding through it with joy and enthusiasm in his morning constitutional.

Tutorial people have a half-day on zoom, and The Younger girls have been pleading with their very best puppy-dog eyes for a snow day.  I told them they can have a snow day after doing math and instrument practice.  I have never seen them get down to business so quickly in my life!

Dh went to Kroger yesterday - he said there were 3 loaves of bread left in the store - 2 rye and a whole wheat.  I need Krissi to come and bake bread for us.

Coffee!

• Like 3

It's snowing.   and not expected to stop until tomorrow morning.   We're currently in a 10" + band (actually a circle, there's a circle around our area saying "Highest likelihood for 10"+").

We don't generally lose power unless there's wind but it's possible.  Our heat is now electric (our new mini-sink system) but we have a generator.   Our big problem is the well but we put in a new switch box that can run the well at least for a limited amount of time when everything else is turned off.  

We also have a fireplace but it has chimney problems so we shouldn't use it for anything short of an emergency.  

I'm most annoyed because my make-up classes for today now need to be made-up.   And it's just February and it's not super unusual for us to get snow right through until April.   I'm going to making up classes until the end of June at this rate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Y'all stay as safe and warm as possible. We are finally going to get above freezing today for the first time in a week. Not much above freezing, but a bit. And we have clear skies and sunshine. Power is on after about 18 hours without it when the storm started. The wood heat has done a really good job with the blowers going, but every time we have a situation where power loss goes on for a while, we always reevaluate what we could use for the next time.

Analysis this time--make sure we have more fuel treatment for the tractor, potentially look at a PTO generator that could run the fireplace blowers and the heat lamps for the chickens, and I want some more cans of Sterno and a stand so I won't have to put the tea kettle in the fireplace. We need to purchase a few more candles as we used them to keep the well-pump from freezing (have done this before and it works). 

Things that worked really well--having the chicken cages prepped and ready for the birds to come in. They have been messy houseguests, but really well behaved. Having a sleeping bag for everyone to add as extra warmth for the night when we didn't have power. Having little powerpacks to charge phones and devices (we didn't have internet and our phone is still down). We didn't have water difficulty this time because we are on city water now vs the well. But it's nice to have extra water, too.

• Like 4

The Radio Man said my town got 8-1/2 inches of snow this week, but I don't think we got more than 4.  Maybe 5 or 6 if you count the sleet.  We took Sir Pups-a-lot on a walk through the park and stopped to sled down the hill a couple times (the girls were already there sledding).  It was great to see so many kids and families going up and down the hills.  I wore my new hiking boots and they kept my feet warm and dry.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Renai said:

Hola Ellie,

I'll be your way the end of April...

Are you coming to the Great Homeschool Convention?

As it turns out, that's the same weekend as the Homeschool Association of the Lone Star State's Convention. 🙂

Maybe we can meet for lunch somewhere before or after. I only live about a mile from the Kalahari.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

Are you coming to the Great Homeschool Convention?

As it turns out, that's the same weekend as the Homeschool Association of the Lone Star State's Convention. 🙂

Maybe we can meet for lunch somewhere before or after. I only live about a mile from the Kalahari.

It's for the Teach Them Diligently conference, April 22-24.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I cleaned the bunny cage tonight.  The bunnies were helpful and put themselves back in their cage tonight so that I didn't have to crawl under tables to try to flush them out and herd them with Juliet's help down the hallway. 

I now understand this sentiment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good Morning!

COFFEE!!!~D

Friday!!!! And another three day weekend (for our school) is in the offing. I am so glad. I need it desperately.

School and work today.  

No snow here. Still bone dry. The early trees are starting to bloom. I’ve got bouquets of daffodils all over the house thanks to Mrs. G. the former owner. A lot of her landscaping decisions are a little odd, but I am thankful for the daffodils this time of year.

• Like 6

Morning.  It's still snowing here but pretty lightly now.  We're still not going anywhere since the roads are a little bit icy.   I may try to run to the science center later but it should be fine if I can't go until tomorrow. 

I've been very productive the past few days with preparing classes.  I had one class that is "new" this session through the end of the year that I had to rework from a full year class that is almost done, and one other class that is the one that is the most work each week that I got a decent jump on.   Most of the rest are just little tweaks here and there.

• Like 6

Good morning!

Hope everyone is staying warm!

I love daffodils - they give me hope!  A ranger was talking to us on a hike one time and told us that if you see daffodils growing in the middle of nowhere, it probably means there was once a house there - probably from the 1800's.  At least, that was true for the area we were in.

It's supposed to get up to 33 with sun today, so hopefully some of the ice will melt off the roads.  Here are the beginnings of dd12's snow fort at the park and dd14's Little Cabin in the Snow.

A6A37170-69BD-4BCC-8BFB-399F6026B49A.jpeg

61894D63-B456-4359-9ABD-4C952BC97C01.jpeg

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thawing starting here. Our roads don't get plowed, so I really need the sun hitting the hills today because I don't have four-wheel drive to get to work tomorrow. At some point I need to go knock all the snow off the top of my truck so it doesn't fly off and smash someone's windshield. 

Chickens get to go out to their house for exercise today. Tomorrow they should be able to spend the night out there with their heat lamps. We are all going to be happy. They've been good birds, but messy!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Renai said:

It's for the Teach Them Diligently conference, April 22-24.

I knew that. ::face palm:: When I first set the date for my convention, the venue I found had only two dates: April 23 & 24, and October something. We didn't want to wait until October, so we took April. And then I found out about Teach Them Diligently, but it was too late for us to change anything. We just figure we'll reach a different demographic than TTD. 🙂

The Great Homeschool Convention is in July, also at the Kalahari.

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Hope everyone is staying warm!

I love daffodils - they give me hope!  A ranger was talking to us on a hike one time and told us that if you see daffodils growing in the middle of nowhere, it probably means there was once a house there - probably from the 1800's.  At least, that was true for the area we were in.

It's supposed to get up to 33 with sun today, so hopefully some of the ice will melt off the roads.  Here are the beginnings of dd12's snow fort at the park and dd14's Little Cabin in the Snow.

A6A37170-69BD-4BCC-8BFB-399F6026B49A.jpeg

61894D63-B456-4359-9ABD-4C952BC97C01.jpeg

Coffee!

I am intrigued by the cabin.  Did dd14 build it with wood that you have around your house?  Is this at a park?  Is it big enough for a small person to enter? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am intrigued by the cabin.  Did dd14 build it with wood that you have around your house?  Is this at a park?  Is it big enough for a small person to enter? 

It's in our yard - the picture was taken from our upper floor kitchen window.  She built it with stuff she found or was given - the lattices were from "dumpster diving", and a friend of dh's gave her a few pallets from their warehouse, and the door is from an old tent we were throwing out, and she bought the tin(?) roofing and plastic inner lining at Home Depot.  It's basically a 5'x5' box, and has a rug and some big pillows and a battery lantern.  Dh helped her with some of the planning and teaching her to use the tools.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As of 2 hours ago the Texas power grid is running at "normal operations". I think all water is back. The grocery trucks are rolling in.

What is it with destroying snow men? When it snowed in Oregon we made one and the kids were devastated when it was destroyed twice. We built it a third time with a sign asking to leave it for the kids and it died of natural causes.

• Like 4