Menu

Ignore this thread!

I am buried in snow. I am, however, alive.

We lost power yesterday when the snow started. I had to bring the chickens into the house to keep them from freezing. So it's kind of noisy what with a rooster and four hens all in various dog crates in the laundry room. But we made it, and the power came on, so we aren't freezing now. However, we have 7 inches of snow on the ground, it's still snowing, and the forecast calls for another 6-10 inches tomorrow through Thursday.

It's terribly cold. Going down to -2 tonight. Which means -5 here at the house.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

We lost power yesterday when the snow started. I had to bring the chickens into the house to keep them from freezing. So it's kind of noisy what with a rooster and four hens all in various dog crates in the laundry room. But we made it, and the power came on, so we aren't freezing now. However, we have 7 inches of snow on the ground, it's still snowing, and the forecast calls for another 6-10 inches tomorrow through Thursday.

What the carp?!?  I'm so glad your power is on again!

They were predicting 6-8 inches of snow here, but all we've had is about an inch of sleet.  Tomorrow nothing.  Snow Wed. & Thurs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Junie said:

Oh, so happy that your kids got snow, Slachie!

Thank you! Me too!

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Weren't you the one who wanted to drive hours upon hours to get to snow?  And now it came to you! 

9.5 hours to Ruidoso, NM. Alex doesn't even remember snow. I'm incredibly grateful it snowed. I was so sad I couldn't make the trip.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I'm so glad that you got power back!

ETA:  I got a Power Booyah!

Edited by Junie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!  Coffee's going fast; I might have to make more.  Dh teaches from home today in our bedroom, so must get a shower before that starts.  😳

I'm so sorry I missed the French toast and pancakes yesterday.  Sounds yummy!

We had a lot of sleet and some snow yesterday/last night.  I think all non-virtual things will be cancelled again today.  

• Like 4

Good morning!  Happy Fat/Pancake/Shrove Tuesday!

And an especially Happy Mardi Gras to Slachey!

It's snowing very lightly, though nothing much is forecast for today.  Dd12 and I are making German Apple Pancakes for breakfast.  We only have virtual things at this point, though dd14 has a dr. appt tomorrow which I'm hoping we can keep.  The office is less than a mile from the house, but it might as well be 500 miles if the roads are full of ice.  We'll probably just walk if they don't make us go virtual.

How are Texas People doing?  Critter?

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Tuesday!!!!

School and work!!! Lots to do today!!

Couldn’t get back on ITT yesterday. 😩 Wr had a great time at the zoo. Didn’t stay long because half the zoo was under construction, but we had a good time. I get a Zoo Pass every year. I consider it a donation because I think our Zoo does good work, and free tickets is just a benefit, so if we spend only a couple hours there I’m not all upset because we “didn’t get our money’s worth.” The highlight was watching the elephant pee. And did it ever pee. Holy Moly. Firehoses have nothing on that thing. Oh, and we got In ‘n Out for lunch. Our favorite place.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Morning.  Our big sleet storm was a dud.  It didn't get cold enough so it was just a misty rain.   Roads are completely fine.  

We are supposed to get snow Thursday to Friday but only 3 to 5 inches.  I have scheduled make-up classes Thursday of this week so hopefully the snow will be late enough and light enough that I can still do them.   

I'm having my tea and some eggs, then I need to set up school for the kids.  I still haven't done it for this week.  

• Like 4

It warmed up today--almost 50F (still drizzly, because NC). We are jealous of snow. Back from an appointment, now breakfast and school.

Birdie: squillion points

Booksquisher Machine: zero points (even though they recently changed their name to something that includes the word "points"--sorry, no.)

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bright sunshine! Blinding, honestly. But it was -4F this morning, and it's not very warm yet. I think we might get to 20F today. I have to muck out the chickens around noon, once it's a little warmer and they can go play in their house while I clean the crates. But they'll be stuck with us for a few more days. More snow coming in tonight. 

I'm doing all the power things I can get done today. Expecting that with the heavier weight of this second snow on the trees, we'll get more power outages.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I set up school, finalized a few weeks of my class that requires the most preparation, outlined the rest of the year for another class (new class for this year, kind of finishing up last year but there are new students as well so need to make sure I cover the background stuff before doing the stuff that picks up where we left off last year, so need to rework the class).  Now I"m relaxing until its time to take dd to TKD.   Tomorrow I have to run to the science center since we started moving things around over the weekend and things aren't put back together again yet.  I have makeup classes Thursday so I have to at least have tables set up instead of on their sides, etc. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you run an organization, how much do you do to make sure people know when you are closed?  

I close the full week of holidays (Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Presidents Day, Memorial Day).  It's on my website along with the dates for each session (I do 4 sessions a year).  It's currently the pinned post on my Facebook group with the schedule for the current session and spaces available.  I have two small whiteboard weekly calendars that hang by the door into the science center - one for the current week and one for the next week - and it was on there last week that this week was closed except Thursday (special case makeups).   We announced it in the lobby during pick-up (but can't guarantee everyone heard it then).   

Some people did show up for class today.  Not sure what else to do.  If the schedule changes (snow days, teacher sick, etc) I send either a text or email (they choose during registration) but most people don't want an overwhelming amount of notifications so I try to limit those to changes to the schedule or emergency notifications.   Plus sending those notifications is a lot of work and I don't want to be sending them all the time.  

Not sure if there's something more I should do or if I just accept that some people will forget and either show up when we're closed or not show up when we are open (that doesn't seem to happen as often).  

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

We had eggs benedict pancakes for lunch and feta corn pancakes for dinner.  They were all delicious.

The sun did not come out at all today.  But at least our power hasn't gone out!

I may send dh out to the grocery store tomorrow.  Not that there will be much food left, but maybe he can find a couple things.  We are dangerously low on chocolate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was actually able to get on ITT right away. Will wonders never cease?? We are trying something new. We’re sort of doing Lent. The denomination I grew up in (and still attend) absolutely does not do Lent, but I wanted to, so I got the Sonlight unit study for Lent. It looks good. We didn’t have pancakes for dinner, but we are going to try to do as much of it as we can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Coffee's on.  Ds is scheduled to work today and I think I'll be taking him.  I've heard main roads are okay.  Swim is a maybe.  The outdoor pool has something wrong with its heater, so we won't be back in it until it's fixed, probably Monday.  If the rec centers open back up today, the team might be able to get a couple lanes there.  Fingers crossed! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Morning. It's still snowing. We saw the sun yesterday for a while, but it was so cold, it didn't do much except make things very bright. We are expecting a few more inches today, but it could be worse. We have power for one thing, all the animals are inside (including chickens) and we are staying warmer than most with wood heat. Also have plenty of food. 

Not much longer now and it will be spring. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Coffee's on.  Ds is scheduled to work today and I think I'll be taking him.  I've heard main roads are okay.  Swim is a maybe.  The outdoor pool has something wrong with its heater, so we won't be back in it until it's fixed, probably Monday.  If the rec centers open back up today, the team might be able to get a couple lanes there.  Fingers crossed! 

I couldn't read anything past this.  My brain freaked out a little.  Why are swimmers so crazy?!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning! A Blessed Ash Wednesday to all!

I, for one, will NOT be going swimming today, inside OR outside!

(((Toto)))  Hang in there, Friend.  Things will start looking up soon.

Everything has been cancelled today, so there's just school.  And zoom music history class - I am assuming it will be happening, though we haven't gotten the usual weekly email from the teacher yet.

Dh says he will go to the store later today.  Snow is supposed to start back up this evening - only 1-4 inches predicted, though that is a Major Event in these parts.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2