Menu

Ignore this thread!

Coconut curry soup is in the freezer and turkey is in the oven.  I have decided that Other Family Members will finish cleaning up and cook dinner.  I should prolly tell them.

What can be used to remove eye makeup that doesn't involve buying expensive eye-makeup-removing stuff?  I bought myself some eye liner.  The times, they are a'changing!  :biggrin:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Thanks for all the good thoughts and prayers today. The memorial went way better than I expected. It was actually really nice to see my siblings, and there was no drama. I even went up to say a few words about my mom, which I hadn't planned to do. Everyone had very kind things to say about her, and it was really good to remember that even though she and I didn't always have the relationship I wanted, all these kind and wonderful things were true about her, too.

We scattered her ashes, and it turns out her final request to the mortuary was to mix an entire bottle of purple glitter in with her ashes. She always did sparkle.

(((Bookie)))

The statement I bolded was exactly my experience at my dad's funeral last year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

If Moses supposes his toeses are roses, then Moses supposes erroneously!

For nobody's toeses are posies of roses, as Moses supposes his toeses to be.

As I suspected, DS's scout thing today was over hours early. I wish I had the bandwith & skill set to help run this troop. Alas, I am indoorsy and at capacity for thing-doing.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Coconut curry soup is in the freezer and turkey is in the oven.  I have decided that Other Family Members will finish cleaning up and cook dinner.  I should prolly tell them.

What can be used to remove eye makeup that doesn't involve buying expensive eye-makeup-removing stuff?  I bought myself some eye liner.  The times, they are a'changing!  :biggrin:

Unscented or sensitive skin baby wipes.  They work great and are a lot cheaper than specific make-up remover wipes or face wipes.   It's basically what SPD/autistic ds uses to wash his face since he will not do water and soap near his eyes.  He actually has really clear skin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I think we might be moving. Going to go look at a 3 bedroom this week.

Okay, I feel like I’m missing something. Didn’t you just reorganize a bunch of stuff and move stuff around?  Why would you do that if you were thinking of moving again?🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

57 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Unscented or sensitive skin baby wipes.  They work great and are a lot cheaper than specific make-up remover wipes or face wipes.   It's basically what SPD/autistic ds uses to wash his face since he will not do water and soap near his eyes.  He actually has really clear skin. 

This is what I was going to suggest. Dancer (the makeup person in the house, theater and otherwise) uses the sensitive wipes. She found out a little by accident that they were great for cleaning makeup when she ran out of the expensive, specific make-up remover stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ikslo said:

Okay, I feel like I’m missing something. Didn’t you just reorganize a bunch of stuff and move stuff around?  Why would you do that if you were thinking of moving again?🤔

No? For Christmas. Here is my review for the apartment.

We figured out after moving here that our AC is broken. Yes, that was present tense as it is still broken nearly a year later. Our AC ran 24 hours a day for 3 months barely keeping our apartment under 90 degrees. I filled out several maintenance requests, made several phone calls and eventually resigned myself to going down to the office every day, sometimes waiting for up to half an hour to be seen by a manager who refused to make eye contact with me until they could get our temperature down to the 70s. Our home is livable but both the maintenance staff and energy company agree that it is running far too much and needs to be repaired. In the midst of waiting for it to actually run somewhat properly I was told the maintenance requests have already been fulfilled, they have no record of a request and that it’s normal and acceptable for our apartment to be in the 90s. The energy company estimates that we spent between $700 and $950 more than necessary this past summer, which to our household means an additional 64 hours that my husband spent away from our family.

Then our kitchen plumbing backed up. For 3 months. Our kitchen sink overflowed every few hours, including throughout the night for 3 months straight. This is how I learned this manager has no idea what constitutes as an emergency. They often wouldn’t honor an overflowing sink for over a week. The maintenance staff was often baffled at what they perceived as an emergency not being seen for weeks. I had every member (I believe) of the staff recommend a plumber, but it wasn’t until I came down to the office, again this had become a daily occurrence, and commented on the problem in front of people interested in the apartment that they were willing to call a plumber. Funny how that works.

So, $700-$950 in expenses, 64 hours of extra work for my husband and 3 months of no sleep due to overflowing plumbing. But wait, there’s more!

We pay for a parking spot. That would be an additional $20 a month on top of rent, which is somehow $60 a month more than our lease states because of various fees. They have sent out emails stating that if you get towed out of a spot that you pay for they will refund you the money. This isn’t true. In order to be refunded they would have to actually be willing to speak with you about the issue, but they are not. You see, they don’t return phone calls, respond to notes left and on the off chance that the manager is in she won’t see you. She won’t even tell you that, she’ll just call in one of the workers and have them relay the message to you. So I guess we're out the towing fee as well as a day's wages equaling out to another $500.

$700-$950 in expenses, 64 hours of extra work for my husband, 3 months of no sleep due to overflowing plumbing and another $500 gone. Our counters are peeling, our walls are peeling, if it rains outside it rains inside, and they have no interest in maintaining the cockroach population. They are more than willing to spray our apartment but we are not the problem. The empty apartments next to us and below us are the problem, but they won’t spray them because “there is no need to since no one is living there.” I have been in the apartment next to us and there is absolutely a need to spray next door. It’s disgusting. But they don’t care. They don’t care about quality of life, they just care about getting paid. They also care about looking good because they hold contests for money off of rent or prizes for positive reviews on Google so I will go out of my way in saying that the layout is lovely and there’s enough closet space to keep a spare family. Please move here, it is just wonderful!

But don’t move here for the pool or the gym because the pool was closed more than half of the times I tried to go and the gym closed immediately after I moved in.

Since leaving this review our rent has gone up in $20 increments monthly.

• Sad 3

I ended up having a fairly good day (after a kinda rough start).  I am on an antibiotic at the moment and I think it is playing with my moods in a nasty way. ;(

By this evening (after dinner, which dh cooked), I was feeling quite a bit better and decided to try to get something accomplished:

I graded all of the tests that I was going to get to over break.

I helped dd9 and dd11 de-tangle their hair.

I wrote some get well/encouragement cards to send to people in my church.

And I read a few chapters of Les Miserables.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

I ended up having a fairly good day (after a kinda rough start).  I am on an antibiotic at the moment and I think it is playing with my moods in a nasty way. ;(

By this evening (after dinner, which dh cooked), I was feeling quite a bit better and decided to try to get something accomplished:

I graded all of the tests that I was going to get to over break.

I helped dd9 and dd11 de-tangle their hair.

I wrote some get well/encouragement cards to send to people in my church.

And I read a few chapters of Les Miserables.

Where are you in Les Miserables?

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I have only cheated on my diet three days this year!!

I am not dieting per se, but I am trying to meet daily goals for healthy living. Today was a disaster. I made focaccia bread that was to die for. I am serious. I ate so much. And then, we had a boysenberry pie in the freezer that I bought from a fund raiser and dd begged me to get it out and bake it. It was delicious. Especially with homemade vanilla ice cream. So, basically my no sugar goal flew right out the window. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day.

• Like 6

Good morning!

We got an email last night to let us know that Ds15's orchestra rehearsals do not start today, so that eases our schedule.  I am taking dd21 and her friend to the airport after church - dh isn't going because the surgeon would prefer that he not be in contact with international travelers in an airport before his surgery.  Then I need to stop by a grocery store and continue meal cooking.  After a few days back on my normal exercises/eating routine, I seem to be back to my pre-holiday condition.

Coffee!

• Like 5

Good morning.

Church is at 12 today. Last year it was 10:30. We have three congregations sharing a building so we rotate schedules every year.

I need to do school planning today.

We are back to our full crazy busy schedule this week. Wish me luck.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Morning. I'm alive.

I've been unsuccessfully trying to take a break from writing. That hasn't worked out. I really don't do well without writing something, but I'm trying to stick to journal and character work as much as possible. Also painting a ton at the end of last week and I have at least two pieces I want to finish this week. Other than that, not doing too much. We are still on break for one more week, and then back at it.

ETA: Looky there! A lazy-day Sunday Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Morning.  Today is school planning for me and sportsball for dh.  

Tomorrow we are back to our full schedule - classes at the science center, tkd and gym, 4-H, tutoring.  Mondays are my busiest days and tomorrow is going to be rough.  Especially on ds.  He's been sleeping half the day away all break and staying up half the night.  We started Friday waking him up earlier with the goal he'd get up at 9am today and 8am tomorrow when he needs to.   Instead dh left early yesterday and I was sick all night so nobody woke him up.  Then today dh woke him up, then left the house and ds went back to sleep and I didn't realize (they spend a lot of time in their rooms and I"m slow in the mornings).   Ds has to come to the science center with me tomorrow, does two classes, then go to the gym and 4-H.   He's going to be a cranky mess by the end of the day but he should sleep really well tomorrow night.    

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Jean, how are things in The Swampland of Doom?

All the soaked carpet has been ripped out. Tons of boxes have been packed. But all the stuff that remains (about half of a very stuffed room) needs to be culled through, packed. Then all boxes have to be moved over to the storage we just rented. The remaining carpet will need to be ripped out, new flooring laid and everything moved back. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

All the soaked carpet has been ripped out. Tons of boxes have been packed. But all the stuff that remains (about half of a very stuffed room) needs to be culled through, packed. Then all boxes have to be moved over to the storage we just rented. The remaining carpet will need to be ripped out, new flooring laid and everything moved back. 

Yay for getting out all the soaked carpet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Triple Svengo!  Godspeed, my friend!

• Thanks 1

The turkey broccoli casserole is in the freezer and the turkey Tetrazzini is cooling.  I made the mistake of tasting it, and now I just want to drink down the entire kettle of it.  (It's all Krissi's fault  - stop with the amazing recipes already!! :laugh:)

I don't think I have the gumption to make any more full recipes today, but I might be able to manage some prep for tomorrow.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1