Menu

Ignore this thread!

Why are you confused, Slache?  I'm guessing you pronounce at least one of these differently, but I've never lived in Ohio, California, PNW, or Texas.  (I can't remember if you've lived anywhere else.)

How do you say them?

ETA:  I *thought* I saw that you reacted with a confused emoji, but I'm not seeing it now, so maybe I'm the one who's confused.  :)

Edited by Junie
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Junie said:

Why are you confused, Slache?  I'm guessing you pronounce at least one of these differently, but I've never lived in Ohio, California, PNW, or Texas.  (I can't remember if you've lived anywhere else.)

How do you say them?

ETA:  I *thought* I saw that you reacted with a confused emoji, but I'm not seeing it now, so maybe I'm the one who's confused.  🙂

I did. I read what you said wrong. They are all pronounced the same.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Slache said:

We get to pick between the second and third floor come up with the third floor has cathedral ceilings. Is there any reason that we don't want Cathedral ceilings?

The heat from your apartment will rise to the highest point and keep the lower air cooler.  That's a plus!

• Like 1

I can tell you about my Christmas break project, since it finished this week with a positive outcome: ds19 now has a driver's license.

He wanted to wait until he was no longer a minor to earn his license so that he wouldn't have to go through as many paperwork hoops.  When he came home from college for Christmas he said that he wanted to learn how to drive before he goes back to school so that he can drive a work vehicle.

Prior to this, the only driving instruction he had had was in a parking lot and driving a golf cart.  So, I taught him how to drive.  In three weeks.  :svengo:

FTR, I do not recommend this method.  :)

He was a quick learner; the golf cart practice helped a lot.  It was also helpful that he desires a career in law enforcement and knows the importance of obeying traffic laws.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It doesn’t?  How do you say error?  I say “air-er”. 

err-er.   Err rhymes with the first syllable in the name Meredith.  Sorry, I really can't think of anything else.   Or the e like the first letter of elephant, then a drawn out r.    or the first sound if you are saying the letter L.

Which for some people may sound like air.  But it's different for me.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

err-er.   Err rhymes with the first syllable in the name Meredith.  Sorry, I really can't think of anything else.   Or the e like the first letter of elephant, then a drawn out r.    or the first sound if you are saying the letter L.

When I say "Meredith" it sounds like "Mair-e-dith", but I don't know that you can call my sense of sound hearing super precise.  The "e" in elephant does sound different to me, but it takes too much effort for me to try to put that sound in front of an "r".  My mouth/brain doesn't like it.

Dh says "er"-rhymes-with-"her" and it drives me nuts.  I encourage the use of the phrase "make a mistake" instead.  :laugh:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Sorry but I think I missed something. Or lost track. Youngest is sick and I'm not supposed to pick him up (heavy lifting). Everything yesterday/today is starting to blur together. Please enlighten or remind me.

http://www.gtservice.us/taryl/

(And extra hugs to you, I know how hard this kind of news is when you are pregnant and worried about your own precious tiny person)

Edited by maize
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Whether air sounds like er in Meredith or not depends on regional pronunciation.

Parts of the country don't differentiate. 

Well and wail rhyme for me.

So do hell and hail.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Those are really nice. It looks beautiful, bug free, and clean. Did you get to tour the exact apartment you will living in?

We could have but there are several available and I asked for the 2nd floor. Now I want the third.

21 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

This is what I was told with Youngest. That's how I discovered I could eat foods that I normally can't. It was like a whole new world suddenly opened up and grocery shopping became a welcome adventure. I haven't found anything that tastes or smells right, this time. Yet. 

I tended to want things I hadn't had in a long time; anything I had eaten recently was tainted by association with nausea.

Trying to find or recreate foods from my childhood was interesting when those foods were not really available in the US 🙂

• Like 1

Hello. I'm still on my writing break. Painting like mad. Other than that, mostly hiding at the house like a hermit. 

I really like being a hermit as long as I have my soft bed, plenty of hot liquids to drink and also to bathe in, and no privations in the way of food and chocolate. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Slache said:

We get to pick between the second and third floor come up with the third floor has cathedral ceilings. Is there any reason that we don't want Cathedral ceilings?

Temperature fluctuation and utility costs.  And in spite of other posts to the contrary, I think it might make summer hotter too.  (But, I'm not an expert, nor do I have Cathedral ceilings.)

3 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Depends on where you're from, I guess.  I can see some pronouncing it short e.  But I have always heard it more of a long a.  And where I'm from it would be more than one syllable.  🤣🤣

That's what I was thinking.  

3 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Heating and cooling costs.  That's all.

That's what I was thinking.

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It doesn’t?  How do you say error?  I say “air-er”. 

Me too.

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

When I say "Meredith" it sounds like "Mair-e-dith", but I don't know that you can call my sense of sound hearing super precise.  The "e" in elephant does sound different to me, but it takes too much effort for me to try to put that sound in front of an "r".  My mouth/brain doesn't like it.

Dh says "er"-rhymes-with-"her" and it drives me nuts.  I encourage the use of the phrase "make a mistake" instead.  :laugh:

Me too.

2 hours ago, maize said:

Whether air sounds like er in Meredith or not depends on regional pronunciation.

Parts of the country don't differentiate. 

Well and wail rhyme for me.

So do hell and hail.

Hail yes! 🤣  (j/k)  (I can delete if that's more offensive than funny....)

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

Hostess white powder donuts did it for me with oldest. And hamburgers with only pickles is a usual one with all mine.

With Captain, I lived on plain quick cooking oatmeal, cereal part of Lucky Charms, baked potatoes, a couple avocados, and EGGO waffles with Whole Fruit apricot or strawberry jam for a couple weeks. It was all I could keep down.

My first ob told me in the first trimester, as long as it’s a real food (not clay, etc.) eat it. Whatever I could keep down. Keeping the tummy filled helped a lot. 

I liked a lot of fruit because usually dehydrated.  And in the bad for you department:  a bean burrito (no onions) from Taco Bell with a coke was wonderful.  Just a couple times of course.  Then it wasn't anymore, lol.  

• Like 1

We have cathedral ceilings and a very drafty house.  Ours has beams across and we put planters on the beams with viney plants growing across them.  It seems to help with heat loss.  

IME, the cathedral ceilings are cooler in the summer.   

Is there a ceiling fan?  Because that can help with the heat loss in winter.  

I gave up on my no sweets/added sugar.  I'm tired, cranky, cold, can't get good fresh fruit, and probably PMS'ing.  I'm going to try again in warmer weather when SAD isn't such an issue and I can get good fruit.   

I'm still cutting down, watching fat and cholesterol, keeping up the exercise, etc.  Just caved on the Ghiardelli chocolate I've had sitting in my bag since Christmas.

ETA:  Wow, another booya. This time for NOT achieving my goal.  Whoopee. 🤨

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 5

49 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I gave up on my no sweets/added sugar.  I'm tired, cranky, cold, can't get good fresh fruit, and probably PMS'ing.  I'm going to try again in warmer weather when SAD isn't such an issue and I can get good fruit.   

I'm still cutting down, watching fat and cholesterol, keeping up the exercise, etc.  Just caved on the Ghiardelli chocolate I've had sitting in my bag since Christmas.

ETA:  Wow, another booya. This time for NOT achieving my goal.  Whoopee. 🤨

If it's 72 or higher you can count that as a healthy supplement instead of a sugar.  😉  Glad to help.  I indulged in sugar today too.  Also, cold, cranky and tired.  Oh, well, tomorrow is another day!

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

We have cathedral ceilings and a very drafty house.  Ours has beams across and we put planters on the beams with viney plants growing across them.  It seems to help with heat loss.  

IME, the cathedral ceilings are cooler in the summer.   

Is there a ceiling fan?  Because that can help with the heat loss in winter.  

Yes.

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Friday!!!!

School & Work!!! I’m visiting two families this afternoon!! All my families are very nice, so it should go well. I just hate the fact that I have to go out at all. I would rather just stay home.

DS had his soccer game last night. It was a bloodbath as usual. Those poor boys. They play hard and they don’t give up, but they just don’t have good ball handling skills, they only have 11 players so there are no subs and they get pretty tired and overall they aren’t very good.

• Like 3

Morning. Writing today. And reading. And catching up on housekeeping. It's a nice, pleasant rainy day, and so warm, that it's a good thing I don't have to post my writing uniform. My pantz might give pause. But it's hot! Should be sleeting by tomorrow sometime is what I hear, so expecting thunder any minute. Working on school stuff this weekend, blog stuff today, and reading the manuscript I expect to be working on soon. Also painting a practice piece, but I have a few more things to do before I can paint a full-sized version.

• Like 4

Happy Friday!  Two classes today then we can go home and relax.   I don't know why this week felt super long.  I'm still thinking PMS with a little bit of SAD.  Need to up my Vitamin D.  Weather has been particularly gloomy lately.   But the weekend is supposed to be unusually warm so that might help too.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Slache said:

It's all right if I just don't teach the kids for the next nine months, right?

Are you nauseous, exhausted, or both?  Not because that effects the answer.  The answer to your question is to do what you can.  Cut back until you can function.  Maybe teach math every day and let them read and then fill in with other independent educational activities - drawing, videos, etc.  Or if that's too much, teach math every other day and fill in with various math review products - digital or paper, flashcards, games, whatever, etc, etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Are you nauseous, exhausted, or both?  Not because that effects the answer.  The answer to your question is to do what you can.  Cut back until you can function.  Maybe teach math every day and let them read and then fill in with other independent educational activities - drawing, videos, etc.  Or if that's too much, teach math every other day and fill in with various math review products - digital or paper, flashcards, games, whatever, etc, etc.  

I can do everything, I'm just cranky and in pain. Or in pain and cranky. Not sure which. Maybe I'll have some wine.

The woman sent me the wrong apartment to apply for. In my application I said that I was moving in on January 31st because February was supposed to be free but it is not. Now I'm in a pickle.

Edited by Slache
January is not July, even in Texas.
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, maize said:

You've got more gumption than me. I don't try to do everything when pregnant.

I... I don't really do very much when I'm not pregnant...

1 hour ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Wooo-HOOOOOOOOO!  Another ITT baby!!!

A hive full of busy bees over here, apparently. 

You're one to talk! Don't you have like 13 kids?

• Haha 5

Good morning/afternoon/night!

Today was A Day.  Started with a realization that I have made a couple of Very Expensive Travel Reservation Mistakes which could cost us an additional $1000 if I can't find alternatives and scrambling to find something that will work. Then I went to the grocery store to buy regular groceries plus stuff for dd10's party and freezer cooking and my list was gone.  I called home and no one could find it. Then it started to rain.  Then the downstairs toilet broke.  Then the ice maker broke.  Then the upstairs toilet overflowed for no apparent reason.  Then I had to take ds15 to his cello lesson an hour away.  And yada yada yada, I'm sitting on the sofa waiting for the Harry Potter movie to be done.

Re: sugar avoidance.  Keep some Lily "stevia sweetened" chocolate bars (I especially like the dark chocolate almond and salted milk chocolate almond) and Halo ice cream on hand.  No cheating required.  I can find both of these at Kroger, Walmart, and Publix.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1