Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

Cadbury's or Belgian. Though Toblerone is yummy. I miss the sweets we could buy in Europe/UK. The first Christmas Scotsman was here, he asked his family for a box of British sweeties. They sent a big one filled with all sorts of delectable treats. Funnily enough though, when his sister got married, she asked us to send a box full of different kinds of Hershey's Kisses.

My BFF brought me some divine chocolate from Switzerland. I would like some chocolate fondue. Dip some fruit in, or pound cake.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

As for house hunting, we want to downsize. Stairs are overrated. At the rate our family is growing, though, I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

Yes!  I don’t miss stairs.  I am so happy in my single level home now.

ETA: although more land would be nice. But not more grass. (You should read that as, “But not more weeds.”)

Edited by ikslo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning!

Have to leave with dh in 35 minutes - hernia surgery.  Between this and recovery and dd10's birthday party on Friday night and a friend's party on Saturday and getting everyone where they need to be for the next 4 days, I'm feeling the urge to hide in a dark closet for a while.

We haven't heard from dd21 in over 24 hours.

Coffee!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Part of the reason I feel like this could be the forever home is the lack of stairs.   It would be pretty easy to make this place fully accessible since even getting to the front door is only two short steps up to the deck.  Main thing would be paving the gravel driveway and walkway.  

I like all chocolate.  But I"m not eating sweets or added sugar for two weeks.  This is day 3.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We all slept in here today, even me.  Our Wednesday literature group starts next week - yay!

(((Susan)))  That's a lot of stuff!  

Paradox, lovely house.  Not as lovely, but maybe an older ranch would have 4 bedrooms on one level and be cheaper?  But waiting for something lovely is a great idea.  

• Like 1

Good morning!

Our home could not be made accessible, it is a split entry; front door opens onto a stair landing.

I expect to be here for at least another decade, possibly much longer. It's small for nine people, not quite 1700 square feet but we gave up the garage to make a play room for the kids and that has made a big difference. We have a nice size yard, 0.26 acres so not huge but it feels bigger than it is; we're at the back of a cul-de-sac so the front yard is small and wedge shaped and most of the lot is the back yard. We share fence lines with seven different neighbors so we do have to be polite to everyone!

The best part is no homeowners association to fight with when I want to plant new trees 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Have to leave with dh in 35 minutes - hernia surgery.  Between this and recovery and dd10's birthday party on Friday night and a friend's party on Saturday and getting everyone where they need to be for the next 4 days, I'm feeling the urge to hide in a dark closet for a while.

We haven't heard from dd21 in over 24 hours.

Coffee!

Praying for the surgery to go well!

Do you usually hear from dd21 every day? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, maize said:

Good morning!

Our home could not be made accessible, it is a split entry; front door opens onto a stair landing.

I expect to be here for at least another decade, possibly much longer. It's small for nine people, not quite 1700 square feet but we gave up the garage to make a play room for the kids and that has made a big difference. We have a nice size yard, 0.26 acres so not huge but it feels bigger than it is; we're at the back of a cul-de-sac so the front yard is small and wedge shaped and most of the lot is the back yard. We share fence lines with seven different neighbors so we do have to be polite to everyone!

The best part is no homeowners association to fight with when I want to plant new trees 🙂

I must have the same house but I only have 4 backyard neighbors. My dream house would have more bathrooms. One and a half is more than I grew up with, so it seemed fine nearly 20 years ago when we bought our bilevel. Now I want two full baths, and some real closets and cupboards. We have hated the entry stairs the whole time. I have had two families that we couldnt invite over due to accessibility. 

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Wednesday!!!

Doesn’t look foggy out. That is surprising. Usually when we get a day like yesterday, when the fog and dreariness don’t let up all day, it’s foggy again the next day. Yesterday was so awful, it was dreary enough to depress Mr. Rogers.

School and work today. No Awana yet this week. I am so glad.  I am tired of Awana and it is only mid-year.

We have stairs, but they only lead up to the loft, which is the little girls’ bedroom. All other rooms are downstairs.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Acorn said:

I must have the same house but I only have 4 backyard neighbors. My dream house would have more bathrooms. One and a half is more than I grew up with, so it seemed fine nearly 20 years ago when we bought our bilevel. Now I want two full baths, and some real closets and cupboards. We have hated the entry stairs the whole time. I have had two families that we couldnt invite over due to accessibility. 

Yeah, I'm not in love with the entry stairs. In my home we are constantly fighting the problem of people leaving their shoes on the landing; I finally got a tall, narrow trash bin that lives on the entry landing and I toss any shoes that get left on the floor in there; it at least removes then as a tripping hazard.

Our second bathroom had just a toilet and sink when we moved in but we were able to add a shower a couple of years ago, that has definitely been an improvement.

Nice to see you on this thread!

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, maize said:

Praying for the surgery to go well!

Do you usually hear from dd21 every day? 

She is half-way across the world (she texted us when they got there on Monday), and we know communication is going to be a bit tricky, so I’m not ready to call the state department yet, but we would feel much better hearing from her. 😬

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, maize said:

Good morning!

Our previous house had a split entry was about the same size as yours.  There were two bedrooms on the upstairs floor and one bedroom and a weird family room on the downstairs floor.  When we moved in we wanted all of the bedrooms to be on the same floor, so we turned the family room into two bedrooms (with French doors between -- longish story) so that it would be possible to use it as one room again in the future.  The bedrooms upstairs were used as a playroom and as an office/TV/computer room.  This arrangement worked until we had so.many.girls.  Even with a large family it is possible to get by with 3 bedrooms -- parents, boys, girls -- but it doesn't really work if the girls outnumber the boys 5 to 1.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

She is half-way across the world (she texted us when they got there on Monday), and we know communication is going to be a bit tricky, so I’m not ready to call the state department yet, but we would feel much better hearing from her. 😬

It's hard to send a kid so far away!

Communication is so much easier now than it was when I was that age and living halfway across the world from my parents.

Facebook messenger voice calls are great for talking across long distances, if she has wifi access you should try that sometime; works for my sister in China (when she can access messenger, it's tricky there).

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

My husband would like to get a one-story house because of my arthritis, but one story houses with the number of bedrooms/bathrooms/square footage that we need are nearly impossible to find and almost certainly impossible to afford because of the amount of land they need.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Junie said:

Our previous house had a split entry was about the same size as yours.  There were two bedrooms on the upstairs floor and one bedroom and a weird family room on the downstairs floor.  When we moved in we wanted all of the bedrooms to be on the same floor, so we turned the family room into two bedrooms (with French doors between -- longish story) so that it would be possible to use it as one room again in the future.  The bedrooms upstairs were used as a playroom and as an office/TV/computer room.  This arrangement worked until we had so.many.girls.  Even with a large family it is possible to get by with 3 bedrooms -- parents, boys, girls -- but it doesn't really work if the girls outnumber the boys 5 to 1.

Yeah, managing bedrooms can get complicated.

We have three bedrooms upstairs and one in the basement, we also have a small family room in the basement that has become a bedroom. We had three boys in one room and three girls in another until recently, but the girl's room was basically wall to wall beds. Over Christmas I cleaned out the bedroom we were using as an office and moved dd16 in there.

Dh and I share the basement rooms with ds2. The toddler and I are in one room and dh and his BiPAP in the other (we all sleep better this way). The boys have the biggest room upstairs and I think I can fit one more bed in there if we do bunks. I've told ds14 he can have a turn with his own room when d16 moves out.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

One way I have made bedrooms work with so many kids to fit in is to basically only have beds in there. The garage playroom is also used as a family closet--everyone's clothes are kept there. I got several sets of these drawers--they are stackable--and have a wall of drawers plus a rack for hanging clothes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-3-Weave-Drawer-Unit-Espresso/45462607

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

You'll change your tune when your knees start falling apart. 😂

Since I am functionally disabled and fast approaching 60, I think that I have a good handle on how bodies break down. I am working very hard with my medical team to not only stop muscle weakness and atrophy but to build muscle. So no, I will not be changing my tune. In fact, my newest functional exercise is taking stairs two at a time to build up those muscles needed for climbing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I think that we’ve had the stairs conversation before. I want stairs for as long as I can possibly handle it. Using stairs is important in my “use it or lose it” physical campaign. 

We have mini-stairs in our tri-level house, so I guess we get the best of  both worlds?  Except you can't really do much to add on to a tri-level (it's basically a split level, but you enter into the main living space, not a landing).  As tri-levels go, it's a cute enough house, but the inability to expand really stinks.  

And we have one toilet in one little bathroom.  The bathroom sink is in an old closet because it couldn't fit anywhere else.  Hence eliminating the closet.  Whine. 

We should move to Texas.  Housing prices here are outrageous. 

• Like 4

You'll change your tune when your knees start falling apart. 😂

Not as much as Imma hate this summer. 🤣

Saying this very, very super gently.

I *think* that you are trying to be cute/funny, but it isn't coming across that way.  Jean and I both have severe chronic health problems.  And it really isn't funny.  I am pretty sure that you are not meaning to be hurtful -- and I know that things can come across differently over the internet -- but sometimes your comments come across in a way that I think you don't intend.

This thread is our happy place and generally the rule has been that if you don't agree with something that someone has posted, just don't say anything and move on to the next post.  I know that you are new here -- and you are welcome! -- but please stop contradicting us.  It kind of hurts.

(And, Jean, apologies for speaking for you here, but I *think* you feel the same way.  You can correct me if I'm out of line.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Since I am functionally disabled and fast approaching 60, I think that I have a good handle on how bodies break down. I am working very hard with my medical team to not only stop muscle weakness and atrophy but to build muscle. So no, I will not be changing my tune. In fact, my newest functional exercise is taking stairs two at a time to build up those muscles needed for climbing. 

Jean steps to the beat of a different drummer!  🏆

I was reading about taking steps two at a time a while back.  I sort of ignored it mostly, but my knees are feeling so much better lately that I might give it another try!  I definitely need more leg strength.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Jean steps to the beat of a different drummer!  🏆

I was reading about taking steps two at a time a while back.  I sort of ignored it mostly, but my knees are feeling so much better lately that I might give it another try!  I definitely need more leg strength.

Christmas decorating was what really showed my diminishing leg (or is it glute?) strength. I had a really hard time even climbing up on a chair to hang up my Christmas cards. 

• Like 1

Dh took 588 hours of leave last year. Mostly sick leave which he had fortunately accumulated from past years. Obviously not sustainable, he doesn't have that many hours left.

That's the equivalent of more than three entire months of workdays.

A lot of it was half-days when he just couldn't get up in the morning.

He's home again today.

I'm going to try to talk about the implications of this at our therapist meeting this afternoon, pray for us if you would; he tends to not respond well to discussion of his illness and disability. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

On a more positive note, dd16 is going to be competing at a martial arts competition in Houston on Feb 21-22. She's trying to qualify for a big international competition in Quebec in November. 

I'm trying to find the most affordable plane tickets for her, she will be flying down alone but flying back with her aunt who lives there and was already planning a trip up here the following week. She's going to pay for the ticket herself--yay for teens with their own jobs!

Edited by maize
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Dd16 also got her official black belt candidate letter yesterday; ds14 didn't get one and will have to wait until next year to test which I know is disappointing to him, he's been keeping up with his sister in ranks.

This dojo is super picky about black belt candidates. They didn't invite anyone to test last year.

• Like 4

I've had bad knees since high school but they haven't been too bad lately.  I almost went on the stair machines at the gym to give it a try.  It's not a stepper where you go up and down, it's basically an escalator machine but it's worked manually.  Does that make sense?  It's like moving yourself on an escalator so you stay in one place.   I do have trouble getting on and off chairs but I think it's because of tight hamstrings rather than my knees, and I"m hoping the yoga and tai chi I'm doing will help.  

I did another 4 miles toward my 100 mile challenge.  So 7 down, 93 to go.   And still no sweets or added sugar.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Go Toto! You can do it!

I think I'm getting a better workout from all the baby gates DH set up to keep Youngest from turning the house upside down than I do from our stairs. I didn't realize how out of shape I was until I had to regularly lift my legs that high. My knees don't like it and I have to be careful or I'll accidentally twist them. But on the plus side, my bottom could really benefit from this method of exercise.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is tai chi? Yoga looks amazing but my back problems would make that impossible for me.

Tai Chi make me think of standing yoga.   It's a martial art but in practice it's a series of flowing movements.  It's great for flexibility, balance, and strength but very low impact.    If you ever see a scene in a movie with a bunch of people doing what looks like a very slow group dance in a park, that's usually Tai Chi.  There are videos on youtube.

• Like 3