Menu

Ignore this thread!

37 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Just do both. Take 2 copies into the office and make them sign AND date both giving you one. I don’t trust these people not to try to screw you over.

Oh, no they will totally screw me over! I have spoken to several residents over the last few months who have gotten the run around just like this until their lease auto renewed.

What happens is one particular woman tells me that I have to email her the information and then she responds to the email with you need to fill out the form and then when I go back in she acts like she never sent the email. You just keep doing this until your lease renews for another year. I have three weeks to get this settled before ours does.

I did not know this but apparently our apartment complex was in the news recently for having the lowest rating on the Better Business Bureau of any apartment in San Antonio. We live in one of the good buildings! One of the buildings is completely cockroach-infested. They're on the walls, on the ceiling, in the cracks. One of them is filled with rats and they have rat poop all through their kitchens. One of them has not had hot water in six months. When we moved in a bunch of the buildings were empty, then they switched management. The new management filled the buildings without fixing the issues.

Jean and Renai have given me a few ideas to pursue tomorrow.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I don't know if this gives me hope or depresses me. 50/50, I guess. Knowing it'll get easier gives me hope. Seeing you say that with THAT many children, while I'm struggling to balance a 9yr old and 1yr old with another on the way honestly makes me feel like a bit of a failure.

Nope.  You are not a failure.  You love your children and hold on for the ride.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Ok, here it is:

https://www.har.com/homedetail/20824-sheridan-heights-ln-porter-tx-77365/5277507

The pictures of the front yard are photoshopped, I think, because in reality, the yard is dead. Needs painting and a LOT of cleaning. A bit small, but I love it! We will see if it works out or not. I'm not going to die if it doesn't.

I love the entryway!

Oh my word - is that typical for property taxes in your area?  Svengo!

lovely - it's a property tax booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends.
People started posting not knowing what it was,
And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends
You'd best come join it with your friends
'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze
And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there
They'll cheer you up so don't despair
The group is growing well as more people start checking in
And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz
It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too
Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on
with record-setting length and fun
It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity
and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...
And the place where one finds special friends,
the kind that have hearts that are strong and true
Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends
Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps
But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps.

I had no idea when I entered in
That what seems a little nuts might actually save me
From going insane on days that are crazy 🤗

This is the thread that never ends....

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

If I go into our apartments office and tell them I want to give notice they tell me to email them. If I email them they tell me to go in and fill out paperwork. We are two days in and I have not been able to give our notice.

Send a certified letter?

• Like 3

Just now, Paradox5 said:

Just wnated to say, I'm pretty sure the law is on your side. You only need to give a written letter, no form required. What does your lease say?

They've never actually given us a copy of it. At the time she said just come pick it up tomorrow, I didn't question it...

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

What's with our weather? It's supposed to be in the 60's for the foreseeable future! 

Yes!  I'm a fan of this!

15 hours ago, ikslo said:

It was cold here this morning.  I had ice on my windshield.  I take comfort in the fact that it will be back up to 80 by the end of the week.

I'm supposed to be coming out of my 7 year homeschooling slump right about now.  But I'm not.  I still don't wanna. I was able to blame it on moving for a while there. I don't really have an excuse anymore.  I think I need something big to shake things up.  I have no idea what.  Adventure is out there!  I just need to find it...

Homeschool Adventure with Ikslo!  (I have no advice on getting out of a slump.  It's as hard as trying to get back to Narnia after the door shut.  Cozy read alouds?  Special research project into something of interest?  Outsourcing?)

14 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Walking around the grocery store with 5 kids is enough exercise for 4 weeks pp, right? (Please say yes.) And it totally warrants pizza for dinner, right?

Still haven't made cookies, but I did set the butter out to soften (or actually, I had Reader do it), and that counts as progress.

Y'all, I don't know why I thought I could manage having 5 children. Today was the first time we went our of the house by ourselves, and it wasn't pretty. Really, just having them all at home when Dave went back to work last week was hard, and we vegged out in front of screens most of the week. I'm borderline having panic attacks thinking about starting school next week! Please remind me that this gets easier, because right now that feels like a lie I'm telling myself to feel better.

I bought Dove dark chocolate squares and a ton of beautiful, colorful produce. It made me happy.

If it makes you feel any better I rarely did the grocery shopping after we had 5.  (Actually, I had stopped even before then).  Dh mostly grabbed groceries on his way home from work or whatever.  I sometimes went when I could go alone.  There is nothing more exhausting than trying to take that many young ones somewhere.  When we started going to CC, oldest was 9 and I was pregnant with youngest, I was mad enough to kill a person just trying to get everyone and everything back in the car after lunch.  A fellow mom friend of mine just asked her 4 kids (even younger than mine) to sit in the lobby and wait for her as though it were no big deal.  And they did.  😂  I'm still friends with her and now I know we have completely different personalities and strengths.  You might enjoy reading Introverted Mom by Jamie Martin if you're identifying with any of that.  I wish that book had been around years ago.  Anyway, about school - start up super slow - math and one other subject next week.  Use the screens, but save them up until later in the day so they effect behavior less and then it's a treat for them and for you.   

14 hours ago, Junie said:

It gets easier.  When littlest dd was born, the others were 9, 7, 5, 3, and 2.  When you get to the point of only having one in diapers it gets much, much easier.  Also when they can all get food into their own mouths fairly reliably.

So true!!!  

14 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Yes, what she said!  Also, when your youngest is 10, you'll feel like a whole new world is opening up.

Yes!!!

12 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Pizza takeout and chocolate for dessert, and now we're watching A New Hope. 

❤️  This is as it should be. 

11 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Super busy but I'm almost done.  We're dissecting a sheep brain in 4-H and then I can go home and crash.

I ended up going to the gym too.  My tutoring student cancelled and then I started feeling guilty so decided to go.  I did the first 3 miles of my 100 miles.  So far without 4-H I have over 11,000 stops.   I've avoided added sugar and sweets (except a tsp of honey in my tea) all day.    So, all in all a good day.

🏆  Good for you!

6 hours ago, maize said:

Write it, sign it, take a picture of it, hand it in, video them holding it in their hands, go home and email them the picture of the form you just handed in.

Because your management people are unreliable and untrustworthy.

Yes!  Slache, that's so ridiculous.  I'm in favor of Maize's advice and what ever good advice Jean and Susan gave you.  Praying for you today.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Ok, here it is:

https://www.har.com/homedetail/20824-sheridan-heights-ln-porter-tx-77365/5277507

The pictures of the front yard are photoshopped, I think, because in reality, the yard is dead. Needs painting and a LOT of cleaning. A bit small, but I love it! We will see if it works out or not. I'm not going to die if it doesn't.

I love the brick.  I'm also super jealous of the price for that much square footage.  

• Like 2

Morning.  Happy Tuesday.   Three classes, tutoring, and then doing math with dd today.  Then gym and tkd this evening.  Shooting for another day with no sweets/added sugar, more miles for my 100 miles, then some relaxation.  

Remember way back when my ankle was hurting in the morning until I started going?  It hasn't hurt for the past few weeks.  Today it hurts again.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Slache, a few years back I had issues with a library book return that I was being charged with - they called me and asked me to come in and get it resolved, so I went in 6 or 7 times and could not get anyone to talk to me, so I finally sent a letter to the head librarian and CC'ed the local city councilman  and the issue was resolved in a day.

I wonder if you can send a paper letter and an email notice to the apartment manager and CC your city housing commissioner/BBB/city councilman/etc. to get a little protection?  

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Day 2 of this week.

I got up early, like I’ve been wanting to. That way I can get yoga done before I take the kids to school.

School and work today. The girls have piano today instead of tomorrow. Other than that, nothing else on the docket.

((Slashie)) I’m sorry you are in this situation. You received lots of good advice from the other girls, so I won’t add my two cents. 

• Like 5

Slache, I agree with the certified letter, to include copies of the emails and dates you went into the office and name of the person you spoke to. Declare in the letter that this is your written notice that you are terminating the lease and moving out on [date]. You might even CC the state attorney general.

If they try to stall, you may be able to get legal help from https://statelaws.findlaw.com/texas-law/free-legal-aid-in-houston.html

Please, never again walk out of a leasing office between signing and getting your copy of the lease in your hand. There may be other places just as obnoxious.

We are getting a slow start today.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Well, we're back to sobbing.  

Ds15 thghtfully called me while I was at the grocery store to see if it was OK for them to use a particular ketchup in the cabinet.  Dd10 and dd13 for some reason freaked out and started yelling at him and grabbed the phone away and mayhem ensued so I hung up and finished paying for the groceries.  Ds15 actually apologized to me for the phone call and now his sister is sobbing.  Can we not get through One Freaking Day?!?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Painted a landscape exercise to work on fog. Also working on a candle exercise to practice luminosity. It makes me happy to be working on things labeled as "advanced watercolor". Other than that, I'm being mostly lazy. I have one cleaning project to take on in an hour or so, but no cooking. Boys and DH can take care of themselves and make their own dinner tonight. Writers' meeting tonight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Things are crazy here today. Over about a 2 hour span we went from looking at apartments, to picking out a house to buy. We are off to go see one at 5.

I'm off to the manager's office. Pray that I don't make my way into a jail cell today. I really want to see this house.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo: 

Have any of you used Notgrass Star Spangled Story? I'm considering it for Oldest next year. He hasn't studied any American history yet. I like that it counts as history, literature, art & music. My only concern is Oldest will be at the upper end of the age range and I want to make sure the content doesn't appear too childish for him and that the literature is at the right level for him.

Not childish. Good program. Didn't personally like it.

I just scheduled what will be our 8th health-related appointment this month (for just me or DS). *sigh* This is why we're taking a break from OT. I need a can of Willy_Nilly-Be-Gone in here if we're ever going to get anything accomplished.

#notamultitasker

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

All you house viewing/house buying folks are making me want to go out and look at houses.

We could use more space.

BUT

Anything with more space would mean a bigger mortgage, and I really like my current very reasonable mortgage.

Just have to keep reminding myself that it is a lot cheaper to declutter and paint and change things up in the house I have than to move.

Also, I wouldn't be able to move my twenty gazillion fruit trees 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Junie said:

Do you have chocolate?  That's the cure.

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

No! 😭😭😭

We need to add an ITT delivery drone to our vehicle fleet, for emergency deliveries of chocolate anywhere in the world.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We're never going to move.   We sometimes hate our little tiny bungalow, but it's a nice property, good location near jobs and other stuff.  Finding something bigger for the same money would mean moving farther away from everything. 

A forever home booya.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 6

I hope to never move again.  Unless it’s a little bungalow on the beach at a time in my life when I can just sit out front all day reading and looking out over the water, and not care if a storm comes along and takes me out.  I’m not there yet.  😂

• Like 5

We don't qualify because Matt's self employed.

1. Move to better apartment.
2. Get a real job.
3. Pay off debt.
4. Buy a house next year.

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

We can get a house! Between tax refund, work bonus, and a couple extra paychecks, we can do it! The issue for how much we can reasonably afford are the upfront costs of down and closing. Not that we could pay for a $300k house or anything! Our budget won’t be huge but the house we really want is currently over our top. We decided we really do need 4 beds to be comfortable long-term, so the one I posted is out.
We can’t do anything for a month but prayers the house price drops, is still available, and our expected numbers come in as expected or higher are welcome.

Slache- so how was the house? I’m so excited for you guys! You know about www.har.com, I presume?

No. Say more things.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

Slache,

www.har.com is the Texas Realtors site which lists thousands of homes and apartments for sale and for rent. Here is the link:

https://www.har.com

I'm sorry you guys have to wait. We are thinking about it too, then we would have more for a down payment. I'll be praying for that "real" job for Matt.

Did you find an apartment you like, though?

No.

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

What kind of “real job” are you thinking about?

What he did in Oregon. Packaging for tech companies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

No. I'm tired. We're talking about a 2 bedroom. Matt wants to stay here.

We managed living in a two bedroom apartment with three kids in Los Angeles. After the fourth was born though we decided we really had to move somewhere with affordable housing.

We had a cute little house in San Antonio when we lived there, we rented it out after we moved since we knew we couldn't afford to buy anything in California. Sold it after we moved here so we could pay down this mortgage. If we still owned it I would rent it to you! Don't know what you are paying in rent but we used to charge $900 per month, which was a lot less than we were paying for our little apartment.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2