Menu

Ignore this thread!

5 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Y’all keep telling me the best curriculum is the one that gets done, please. I’m feeling twisted about from swimming in the sea.

Watching Thor with The Girl to try to go to sleep.

Yes it is.

What are you questioning?

• Like 2

Good morning!  It's Friday!

I have freezer meal shopping and cooking this morning, Old Lady Party this afternoon, and two of the kids have a children's choir thing tonight.  The girls' bathtub is still clogged.  Hoping we can get this fixed without calling anyone, but with dh in so much pain, sleep deprived, and not supposed to be exerting himself, it may be 2 or 3 weeks.  I'm not going to attempt plumbing.  Fortunately we have other bathrooms.  I need to give my bathroom a thorough cleaning and get the guest bed set up.

Coffee!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Morning.   Happy Friday, although it's just going to be more of the same this week.  Although I am hosting a Mom's night out at the science center this evening.  Hopefully some people will show up.  I know at least one person will because she's my "co-host".  

The school responded to the mix-up that she thought the agreed upon workshop topic was just a placeholder until a decision was made.  Nowhere does it say that it was a placeholder.  It's actually on the contract that is the workshop we're doing AND we even discussed the specifics about the room that that particular workshop needs (needs to get fairly dark).  So I don't understand how that translates into 'placeholder'.   Now I'm afraid to order the stuff I need for this workshop until she responds, and it's only 3 weeks away.  I really really didn't want to be leaving stuff to the last minute, and now it looks like I may have no choice.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

9 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Y’all keep telling me the best curriculum is the one that gets done, please. I’m feeling twisted about from swimming in the sea.

Watching Thor with The Girl to try to go to sleep.

It’s true. And it also must be taken with it’s corollary - You teach the kids you have.  

You know, I started out my homeschooling 13 years ago when my oldest was 3. I was given the first or second edition of TWTM and I inhaled it, loved it and got my boys started on A Beka Preschool Phonics the next year. I was going to give my children the education I never had. But it didn’t work that way. A couple of my kids got 3 years worth of A Beka History, which is as anti-TWTM as you are going to get. They all studied Latin, but I’m not sure any of it was retained beyond the chants. (Although I don’t regret including it, because I think any language study is beneficial). Educational Philosophy is one thing and the practice is another. If you are lucky, you will have some places where they meet. Some families it is more than others. I am glad I am homeschooling, but disillusionment has been a huge part of my journey.   

• Like 7

I'm thinking of doing another virtual "race".  I did a virtual 5K back in October and I found it motivating to make sure I got it done.  Now I'm thinking about doing another one that is 100 miles between January 15th and March 31st.  Obviously not a race, you're only supposed to count miles done deliberately for the race, not incidental to normal activities.  

But is it wrong that I'm mainly doing them for the shirts?   The one I did in October was a really cool long sleeve performance wear hoodie.  This one is a phoenix tank top with a cool saying.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Critter, enjoy your break! Your day sounds lovely.

Slache, how's your Whole 30 going? I saw some recipes for rainbow rice (cauliflower rice with shredded cabbage, broccoli, and carrots in it) and thought of you. I can give you the link if it sounds like something you'd like 

Sure, thanks!

I'm in the nap phase. It goes hangover, emotional, tired, weight gain, cravings. So I'm almost finished with the hard parts and into the good part.

• Thanks 2

I went to GFS, The AFSA, and Aldi.  (In the rain.)  I skipped Whole Foods because there's nothing there that I absolutely need in the next 3 days.  The small shoulder roast is in the pot and the BBQ sauce is ready to simmer, though that has to wait until we're back.  We leave in 4 minutes for the Old Lady Party (I so want to skip it!) and then home briefly before bringing the girls to choir thing.

I discovered today that dd21 does not understand why a 45x45x45 inch carry-on is not a thing. :laugh:  I had to explain that the measuring tape only has inches, not centimeters!

I need coffee, but it will have to wait.  Gotta go!

• Thanks 1

The BBQ sauce is done.  I must say that it turned out rather delicous.  It will be used for pulled bbq pork and bbq chicken tacos and extra bbq sauce - haven't figured out how to freeze it yet.  Maybe in empty salad dressing bottles?  Jam jars?

I've shredded a bunch of cheese and sliced 24oz mushrooms - hooray for food processors!  The small pork butt is about done.  Rice is cooked.

The girls' Spring orchestra concert has been changed to a date when we will be on our Great Western Adventure Road Trip.  :happy:  Oh well.  I think the director will still let them participate for the semester.

Are seasons capitalized?  I've been capitalizing them lately and now I can't remember.

Still raining.  

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Edpo 😬

I need my prealgebra text from 8th grade back. Ironically that was the only year I remember enjoying math and I’ve completely forgotten my teacher. There’s something satisfying about solving for x.  You can see yourself methodically closing in on the little stinker until he has nowhere to hide  

In the continuing search for a prealgebra that is juuuuuust riiiiiight I’m now looking at Khan and wondering why their table of contents for 8th grade math looks harder than the one for prealgebra.  Maybe its cus there’s more geometry, which literally gave me nightmares in high school.  

🎻😫

Geometry was the only high school math I liked. I thought proofs were fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Don’t capitalize seasons. 

Also, I’m so old I didn’t have pre-algebra. I went straight from 7th grade math to algebra 1. But I agree with loving the satisfying hunt for X. 😊

I don’t remember having pre-algebra, either.  I had Algebra 1 in 8th, and geometry as a Freshman.

• Like 2

I didn't go to middle school or junior high. I went to collège, which is the French equivalent. In 8th grade (which they call 4th because they count down not up in grades, 11th year is first, then there is a final year called terminale) we studied the Pythagorean theorem and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember very well. 

9th grade was a different country, I went to a school that used American textbooks and took geometry. The next year I took Algebra 2. Which was problematic because I had never had algebra 1. I spent a lot of time being confused in high school math.

• Like 3

There were four of us at moms night out last night.  We didn't even play any games, just chatted the whole time.  One mom was new/looking into homeschool, one started about a year ago, the other two of us have been homeschooling from the beginning, 10 years for me, 8 for her.  

I got home around 11, went to bed and was up vomiting at 2am.   I basically ate grapes and carrot sticks so I'm not sure what caused it but it was severe enough to make my chest and arm hurt like I pulled a muscle.   I ate a few bites of bread and water and tried again to sleep.  I was afraid to take advil for the pain so didn't sleep all night.  Now it's almost 8am, I'm up nibbling bread and water to get something in my stomach so I can take advil and try to get some sleep.  

I have a bad feeling today is going to be a wash getting done all the stuff I need to get done.  

• Sad 7

Rocco, get Bookie some sunscreen and a fruity drink, please.

It's pouring here. *sigh*

I gathered up my courage and had cream of buckwheat for breakfast, preparing it the same way I used to do quick oats, but it has to cook a little longer. It was actually quite good. Now I have a warm something to eat for breakfast.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

There were four of us at moms night out last night.  We didn't even play any games, just chatted the whole time.  One mom was new/looking into homeschool, one started about a year ago, the other two of us have been homeschooling from the beginning, 10 years for me, 8 for her.  

I got home around 11, went to bed and was up vomiting at 2am.   I basically ate grapes and carrot sticks so I'm not sure what caused it but it was severe enough to make my chest and arm hurt like I pulled a muscle.   I ate a few bites of bread and water and tried again to sleep.  I was afraid to take advil for the pain so didn't sleep all night.  Now it's almost 8am, I'm up nibbling bread and water to get something in my stomach so I can take advil and try to get some sleep.  

I have a bad feeling today is going to be a wash getting done all the stuff I need to get done.  

Don't think I'm crazy, but these are potentially symptoms of a cardiac event.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!!

Soccer game last night. Poor boys lost 0-14. Their team is awful. It’s not their fault really. They do have a good coach, he is very encouraging, but the school hasn’t had a team in a couple of years, they have barely 11 players and half of them have never played before. So, it is a blood bath. But we go.

I don’t know what I am going to do today. Clean house. Pick up an Afsa order. I need to get some miniature rose bushes. And I want a camellia bush with pink flowers.  I just don’t have a place for it.

• Like 5

Good morning!

I got the girls to their choir thing, then stopped by the library to get books for the next few weeks of history/literature/storytime.  Pulled pork is in freezer bags for tacos de carnitas.  Next up is pulled bbq pork, getting the turkey ready to go in the oven, and IPing chicken tenders for  bbq chicken tacos.

Toto, how are you, friend?

Coffee!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Don't think I'm crazy, but these are potentially symptoms of a cardiac event.  

I'm okay.   I went back to bed, slept for four hours and I feel much better now.   

I did know that those could be signs of cardiac arrest but I was 99% sure that it was muscular (and not the heart muscle!).  It happens fairly often when I vomit because I tend to fight it for as long as possible and when it does happen, it's rough.  I also burst blood vessels in my face.   I'm pretty sure the pain in my arm (which was my right arm with my bad wrist) was at least partially due to the wet rainy weather bothering my bad wrist too.  

That being said, the doctor finally put my lipid test results online.  My cholesterol is high and so are the LDLs.  Not in the dangerous/immediately medicate range, but high and they jumped quite a bit in the two years since my last test.   So, I'm reminding myself of the usual recommendations.  A lot we already do - eat lots of fish, low red meat, (I do eat more eggs than recommended), brown rice, veggies but I need to up fruits, fiber, green tea, etc.   I can't eat nuts because I seem to be getting more allergic to them.    

The good thing is I've already built the habits around exercising - yoga/Tai Chi every day and gym 4 times a week, never smoked, and already have plans to cut out sugar and sweets for two weeks starting Monday.  After the two weeks I"m hoping cravings are less and I can do moderate dark chocolate, etc. 

Doctor wants test to be rerun in 3 months, so we'll see what we can do in that time.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

I'm okay.   I went back to bed, slept for four hours and I feel much better now.   

I did know that those could be signs of cardiac arrest but I was 99% sure that it was muscular (and not the heart muscle!).  It happens fairly often when I vomit because I tend to fight it for as long as possible and when it does happen, it's rough.  I also burst blood vessels in my face.   I'm pretty sure the pain in my arm (which was my right arm with my bad wrist) was at least partially due to the wet rainy weather bothering my bad wrist too.  

That being said, the doctor finally put my lipid test results online.  My cholesterol is high and so are the LDLs.  Not in the dangerous/immediately medicate range, but high and they jumped quite a bit in the two years since my last test.   So, I'm reminding myself of the usual recommendations.  A lot we already do - eat lots of fish, low red meat, (I do eat more eggs than recommended), brown rice, veggies but I need to up fruits, fiber, green tea, etc.   I can't eat nuts because I seem to be getting more allergic to them.    

The good thing is I've already built the habits around exercising - yoga/Tai Chi every day and gym 4 times a week, never smoked, and already have plans to cut out sugar and sweets for two weeks starting Monday.  After the two weeks I"m hoping cravings are less and I can do moderate dark chocolate, etc. 

Doctor wants test to be rerun in 3 months, so we'll see what we can do in that time.  

So glad you are feeling better!  I'm reading Beating the Heart Attack Gene - a really interesting book that discusses risk factors for cardiac disease which are not well known and how traditionally tested risk factors are not as good at predicting the disease.  If you're having tests re-run anyway, you might want to check out the book and see if there are any tests you would like to discuss with your doctor.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I need to get some miniature rose bushes. And I want a camellia bush with pink flowers.  I just don’t have a place for it.

This is always my problem with gardening, though it is most often fruit trees I am wanting. I read through the catalogs and want all the trees, but I have already planted so many trees there truly is no space for more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, maize said:

This is always my problem with gardening, though it is most often fruit trees I am wanting. I read through the catalogs and want all the trees, but I have already planted so many trees there truly is no space for more.

That is totally me.

I got my miniature rose bushes. Six for the front yard (replacing a bunch or scrubby geraniums I pulled out last week) and 2 for right beside the patio in the back yard.

So, I finished the chocolate my BFF brought me from Switzerland. I am supposed to be off sugar, but darn it, she brought me that chocolate from her trip to Switzerland. And it was darn yummy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Dh ordered a new tv since ours broke.  The guys are here installing it and I just realized I'm sitting here in plaid pj pants and a thermal top.  No bra and fuzzy socks.  At 4:30 in the afternoon.

That sounds about right! :biggrin:  Who's got time for Pantz on a day like this?!?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1