Menu

Ignore this thread!

41 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I keep scanning all the rigor/no rigor/vigor/don't flunk math/don't flunk language arts threads and keep wondering where it the thread for resting. But that's probably just me being tired, cranky, and feeling guilty for actually taking a week off. And giving my kids three weeks off. 🤣

Burnout is a real thing and not positive.

Resting is good.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. It's gray, but it isn't stormy. Had thunder and heavy rain last night that knocked out the internet for about an hour. 

I'm finishing this story today. It's getting done. Tomorrow, I'll rewrite the query and draft the synopsis, and then put it away for a while. Sniff. Then I'll be miserable for about a week while I try to figure out what happens next. I think edits to my MS that needs to go back out on submission this spring will come next. I have another MS that needs revisions, but I'm waiting on additional feedback, so limbo there. I'm planning to take an entire week off of writing (and probably social media and forum) starting Jan 1st, but I'll post on the 31st to be sure everyone knows I haven't died. Just walked off the map for a week to read and paint.

I want to read your stories.

Is there something published you can point me to? Maybe PM if you'd rather stay anonymous on here?

• Like 5

I am sick.

Truthfully, I've been sick to one degree or another for the past four months--better days and worse days but never well. As far as I can tell it is just a succession of fairly minor viruses, but my body doesn't seem to be able to completely fight off one before contracting another.

Today I am headachy and sneezy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

40 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

God is teaching me such hard things. Who knew that He would take last year's resolution of "Do Hard Things" so seriously on my behalf?  

I am praying that one day you will be able to look back and see all the amazing ways that God, in his grace and mercy, worked through your lives and demonstrated his ability to restore and reconcile all things to himself.  (((Jean)))

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I went to Aldi (it was so quiet there!) and dh went to the walk-in clinic to get his ribs checked out.  The x-ray didn't turn up anything obviously broken, so that's good.  Laundry is in.  I need to wrap the Grand Canyon book and put it under the tree and have a second meal.  Maybe some avocado toast.  Avocados were 39 cents each at Aldi!

• Like 3

I went to Spanish church this morning and I'm having a hard time switching back to English.

I keep thinking of the Spanish word first and then having to translate to English.  Like I almost wrote "pensando" instead of thinking and "palabra" instead of word.

On the ride home someone told me something that happened that was frustrating and I thought "Lo siento" instead of "I'm sorry".  And then I tried to give dd15 instructions (instrucciones) in Spanish for preparando el almuerzo (preparing lunch).

I'm all mixed up.  I think I need food and a nap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

God is teaching me such hard things. Who knew that He would take last year's resolution of "Do Hard Things" so seriously on my behalf?  

And last year was to get out of your comfort zone. Me thinks you need different resolutions.

18 minutes ago, Junie said:

I went to Spanish church this morning and I'm having a hard time switching back to English.

I keep thinking of the Spanish word first and then having to translate to English.  Like I almost wrote "pensando" instead of thinking and "palabra" instead of word.

On the ride home someone told me something that happened that was frustrating and I thought "Lo siento" instead of "I'm sorry".  And then I tried to give dd15 instructions (instrucciones) in Spanish for preparando el almuerzo (preparing lunch).

I blame tiredness for this. I will even get stuck in Spanish when I haven't been exposed to it if I'm tired enough.

El booya.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4

Just now, Slache said:

I blame tiredness for this. I will even get stuck in Spanish when I haven't been exposed to it if I'm tired enough.

My brain is tired.

This was my first time attending Spanish service on a Sunday, so I was speaking/listening to mostly Spanish for two hours.  This happens every time I attend Spanish church, but usually not to this extent.  I'm coming out of it now...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Junie said:

It's always funny to me when that happens. Especially when I have 3 or 4 languages floating around in my head...

I mean, it's not really quite funny at that precise moment, but kinda, maybe...

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Renai said:

It's always funny to me when that happens. Especially when I have 3 or 4 languages floating around in my head...

I mean, it's not really quite funny at that precise moment, but kinda, maybe...

I am terrible with languages. That’s why I like Latin. Nobody speaks it. No pressure.  Although it was kinda funny. When I taught school in Brazil, I learned like 3 sentences in Portuguese. But I spoke them with a São Paulo accent. 

• Like 4

I finished another book. Now I'm supposed to rest. I don't wanna. I'm finishing some Beta reading, and once that's done, I'll be on my writing break for a week. I ordered five different books to read with some of my Christmas money. They should get here in time to occupy me. I hope. Tomorrow, I hope to finish a writing exercise, rewrite a query letter, draft a synopsis, write feedback on about 140 pages of story, and paint something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, maize said:

I want to read your stories.

Is there something published you can point me to? Maybe PM if you'd rather stay anonymous on here?

Nothing published yet. I hope to go out on submission this spring. Again. Traditional publishing is not for the faint of heart!

• Like 5

Tomorrow, we're taking off all the ornaments from the tree and putting away everything except the tree with star and the nativities. It's too dark to turn off lights, and the wise men haven't reached Jesus yet. 😄 We'll see how long the tree stays up after Gymnast's birthday on the 8th.

• Like 6

It's cold. It's 19 degrees but feels like 5. 🤔 

I should probably go ahead and let the dogs back in the house. They have a kennel they stay in because I cannot have two loose dogs running around in our 659 sq ft, along with the two cats who already think they own the place.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I think we'll take down our tree on January first this year. I'll be home, so it's a good day to do that. I want to go for a hike that day, too. It will be cool (around 51) but the places where we usually go should be empty of people, which is just how I like it.

Oo - a hike sounds wonderful!  We're going to the zoo tomorrow, but maybe we'll take a hike Tues &/or Wed. 

Our decorations will come down at some point before Lent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Renai said:

It's cold. It's 19 degrees but feels like 5. 🤔 

I should probably go ahead and let the dogs back in the house. They have a kennel they stay in because I cannot have two loose dogs running around in our 659 sq ft, along with the two cats who already think they own the place.

If there are cats, they reign as crowned monarchs over all their domain.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Oh my word, the 49er game was a nail biter all the way to the final seconds. I about had a heart attack. But, they pulled it off. Raiders lost. 😢 Poor Derek.

Ds19 and I watched the game, too.  We were both rooting for the Seahawks, but the little girls (who I had sent off to bed) will be thrilled tomorrow morning when they find out that the 49ers won.  We spent one day in San Francisco this fall and they are apparently 49ers fans now. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Oo - a hike sounds wonderful!  We're going to the zoo tomorrow, but maybe we'll take a hike Tues &/or Wed. 

Our decorations will come down at some point before Lent.

Momma's takin' us to the zoo tomorrow, the zoo tomorrow, the zoo tomorrow!  

Momma's takin' us to the zoo tomorrow, and we can stay all day!

We're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo; how 'bout you, you, you?

You can come too, too, too; we're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't understand why, if it's already cold, it has to "feel" a colder version of cold?!? I mean, it's already 12 degrees outside, why does it have to feel like it's -2?

Honestly, I don't feel it, because I'm inside. I don't want to feel it either. But, really, weather, stop being what you ain't!

• Like 4

It's sunny and not cold this morning. Cool, though, and the wind has a January bite to it.  Lots to do today in preparation for three days of work out of the house, and wrapping up writing projects prior to a reading and painting break. But I need caffeine first. Laundry is already in, and I will be taking down Christmas stuff in the bedroom so I can wash things like the tablecloths before wrapping them up and putting them away on Wednesday. 

I'm so strange. I go back and forth between wanting only one set of anything, thus making less work for me to do, to wanting a seasonal set of dishes for spring, winter, summer, and fall, and all the matching tablecloths, linens, and requisite plants growing in my carefully maintained gardens and greenhouses. Which will never happen. Sometimes I wonder if my ability to create drastically different characters comes from all the different personas I have rocking around me at any one time. 

• Like 7

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!!~D

Monday!!!! Yay!! 

Don’t have much on the docket today. Lunch with BFF. DS has soccer practice this afternoon. I am slowly taking down Christmas decorations. 
It’s not rainy, cold or snowy here. The sun is out and the sky is blue. Well, the sun is not quite out yet, but the sky is definitely clear.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

We're watching The Princess Bride. Such an endlessly quotable movie.

"Have fun storming the castle!"

"No more rhyming, and I mean it!" "Anybody want a peanut?"

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Inconceivable!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1