Menu

Ignore this thread!

21 minutes ago, Slache said:

I just bought this. It's quiet and sturdy despite the 220 weight limit. I had a difficult time finding a good one for less than $800.

13 minutes ago, maize said:

I bought this one in 2013 and it is still going strong:

https://www.amazon.com/Weslo-Cadence-R-5-2-Treadmill/dp/B01FNEBXNK

Those both look good, I don’t need one with a bunch of bells and whistles. My goal is to replace 2-3 days of yoga per week with a little more cardio. I have the habit of doing some sort of exercise in the morning, but I need to take off some pounds. I want to continue the yoga because I know it is good for me, but I need to burn more calories.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Those both look good, I don’t need one with a bunch of bells and whistles. My goal is to replace 2-3 days of yoga per week with a little more cardio. I have the habit of doing some sort of exercise in the morning, but I need to take off some pounds. I want to continue the yoga because I know it is good for me, but I need to burn more calories.

Bells and whistles generally means not simple so I went the no bells and whistles rout. Mine can jump strait to 1, 3, 5 or 7MPH, go up or down by .1MPH increments very quickly, inclines (super simple setup) has a cup holder and towel rack. It does more than that but I haven't gotten into it and more importantly the more does not affect the simplicity of the machine. I wanted to easily jump between speeds, have an incline and cup holder.

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday!

Cookies didn't happen last night because I realized (too late) that the dough has to be refrigerated for an hour and then rolled out.  Nope.  Not happening.

I woke up in pain this morning.  This probably means rain is coming.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Morning.  DH has work today. I would be going to art today, but everyone is still on vacation. I'll paint at home. Work tomorrow. I wrote a solid 3K and change over the last two days, and am close to wrapping up my first draft of a new book. That's always depressing. I never can be happy to accomplish a milestone like finishing a draft because I am always sad that the story is over. I mean, yeah, I will rewrite it a few times, revise it, and revise it again, but it won't be that heady rush into the unexplored again. 😐

Oh well. Something new will find me.

• Like 6

Morning.  I was right about the bed. Sciatica is back at least as bad as it was the first day.  Possibly worse.  Time to google for better ways of sleeping in a small, lumpy, hard bed.  I'm not sure if the floor would be better or what.  But something has to change because two more nights of this and I won't be able to walk at all. 

Back to work on  my Quickbooks for today.  And maybe some visiting dh's relatives.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

9 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning.  DH has work today. I would be going to art today, but everyone is still on vacation. I'll paint at home. Work tomorrow. I wrote a solid 3K and change over the last two days, and am close to wrapping up my first draft of a new book. That's always depressing. I never can be happy to accomplish a milestone like finishing a draft because I am always sad that the story is over. I mean, yeah, I will rewrite it a few times, revise it, and revise it again, but it won't be that heady rush into the unexplored again. 😐

Oh well. Something new will find me.

🎶Into the Unknown....🎶

2 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Good morning! My time of slothful recovery has come to an end. It's now time to begin figuring out how real life works with a baby in the mix. And that begins, naturally, with a day devoted to planning. 🥰 So today I will sit down with my checklists and calendars and I will attempt to Plan All The Things. The actual implementation of such plans won't begin until next week or so, but I'll feel better having a plan in place.

Dave is at work a full day today, and the kids have their Christmas toys to play with. Other than feeding them and breaking up the occasional argument, it's almost like all I have are Squishy and Cheeto.

Hugs to each of you as you go about your day today.

:rubs hands together:  Yes!  Love to plan!  Sounds like a lovely day.  

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!!

Happy Day After Christmas,!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

I fully intended to get up at 6:00, but I got up aT 7:00 instead, which I still consider a respectable time. 

Today I need to clean house and I intend to tackle some cupboards in the kitchen that have turned into catch-alls.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

Got 500 to get to another 3,000 word day. But had to stop for a snack. Then there's cleaning to do, and some errands in town. But after that, home again, more reading, writing, painting, and generally relaxing before heading back to work Friday and Saturday. I still have a few more weeks of work out of town. I made an executive decision to give the kids three weeks off for Christmas instead of two. That's one less thing for me to do, and they've worked hard. 

• Like 3

We have been up and down the mountain. We somehow missed the trailhead at first (the first part of the way is a logging road), but even with that it was less than an hour hike to the top. On the way up, the kids left sleds on the logging road so they could slide down on the way back. 😊

Now it’s lunch and then packing up, then games and movies and dinner and more desserts and treats. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I'm also taking a week off of school the third week of February. Because February.

Hear, Hear!  🍻

28 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Ds15 creamed me in a game of “Go”. I’m still not sure of what’s going on in that game. I grounded him 3 times in our game last night for making “disrespectfully strategic moves against his mother”. 😂

Hear, hear!  Quite right!  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

MathPo! Avert yer eyes! Ye have been warned!

It appears I have failed to actually teach my children math. The fault lies in a lack of consistency, but I'm having trouble forgiving myself for seeing the problem and pushing on anyway. I feel like a failure as a teacher because my kids already were not at "grade level," and I somehow thought continuing on a weak foundation would somehow correct itself. Foolish, foolish me.

I've talked with Reader and Runner, and we've agreed to start again with Singapore Math 1A. We're going to dedicate half an hour per kid per day (including weekends, just like reading or piano practice) and work together. We'll skip what they know well, but I can't think of another way to discover where they're weak and reinforce those places. I'm also going to add more math games to our school week. 

Any other ideas? Will this work? Also, I've been reading the math education thread, and I'm realizing that my own education needs work, even at these early levels. Without access to a teacher, what are my resources for remediating my education to be an effective teacher?

Maybe I should start a thread in the sea, too.

One of the reasons I wanted to do Saxon was because it starts in 4th or 5th grade. This way I didn't have to be concerned about the younger grades. We chose to spend it working on mental math and playing games, so I have no idea if he was where he was supposed to be, but he is now because he's doing Saxon 5/4.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

MathPo! Avert yer eyes! Ye have been warned!

It appears I have failed to actually teach my children math. The fault lies in a lack of consistency, but I'm having trouble forgiving myself for seeing the problem and pushing on anyway. I feel like a failure as a teacher because my kids already were not at "grade level," and I somehow thought continuing on a weak foundation would somehow correct itself. Foolish, foolish me.

I've talked with Reader and Runner, and we've agreed to start again with Singapore Math 1A. We're going to dedicate half an hour per kid per day (including weekends, just like reading or piano practice) and work together. We'll skip what they know well, but I can't think of another way to discover where they're weak and reinforce those places. I'm also going to add more math games to our school week. 

Any other ideas? Will this work? Also, I've been reading the math education thread, and I'm realizing that my own education needs work, even at these early levels. Without access to a teacher, what are my resources for remediating my education to be an effective teacher?

Maybe I should start a thread in the sea, too.

Work on basic concepts. Be consistent. Don’t even be afraid to stop and remediate. Even if it means getting out sheets of computer paper and writing out long division problems day after day until she finally gets the algorithm cemented in her brain. Oooops, that was me with Baby.😂 the “Key to....” series helped us through fractions and decimals.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

MIL is very concerned that we don’t have enough desserts for tonight. 1-1/2 pies, 1/2 pan banana pudding, a chocolate babka, 3 dozen cookies, and a large tin of caramel corn and chocolate covered pretzels. 11 people. 😂

Yeah, that doesn’t sound like enough.i think another couple dozen chocolate chip cookies, some of my mom’s frozen peppermint chocolate dessert and a couple tubs of Moose Tracks icecream should be added.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm tackling the girls' room next but not sure what to do--it is longer than the boys' room but only half as wide and barely fits three beds. 

If I can clean out the "office" I may move dd16 in there, but it is currently full of All The Stuff and cleaning it out will be a major undertaking.

• Like 4

Bookshelves are up. Tomorrow we move around all of the small things and take after pics.

Paradox, have you looked at My Father's World? MFW was my first pick but I couldn't afford it. I got an amazing deal on Sonlight but it was just a booklist because we were doing our own thang for skill subjects.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2019 at 6:05 PM, Paradox5 said:

I ate too many chocolates and muffins today. The cornmeal lemon blueberry muffins are not a hit. It’s the texture. I don’t know what I was thinking. More for me! Most of the chocolate tasted gross. Next year, I’m sticking with Hershey Kisses.

The rancher’s pie came out fantastic. Even The Girl ate a whole  bowl after saying she wasn’t going to like it. I think it was the fresh garlic.

All the fresh veggies are prepped for tomorrow. HUGE roasting pan filled with apple crisp just went in the oven. The pumpkin pie mix made 2 so we ate one. The family tomorrow will never know...

What's rancher's pie?

I'm sitting here eating the fudge our neighbor made. I did not know he could make fudge...and biscochitos. Those are good too.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, maize said:

And also known as shepherd's pie, the distinction is only regional (though some people get up in arms claiming you can't make a shepherd's pie with beef...).

I'm one of those people. Shepherd's don't raise cows. I do use the term because no one knows what the other two are.

• Like 1

My mom was here for Christmas (gone now).  It went well.  My favorite gift was her cutting my hair!  I hate paying 4x what a man would pay for a simple cut.  

What was your favorite gift?  (Unless we’ve already done that...I haven’t caught up yet.)

• Like 6

So dh went to a local Walmart, and was surprised that not a single shopping cart had been put in the cart return corral things. They were just strewn around the parking lot - dozens of them. 

Is this common where you live?  Or do most carts get returned?  

(Also, dd21 wants to know if grocery carts are called “buggies” where you live.) 

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

It’s that Neverland between Christmas and New Year. I kind of like it, because there’s not a lot required, but it’s so vague and undefined that I look forward to getting back to a routine. I don’t do well with vague and undefined.  Today the kids are having some cousins from Portland over to play, which will be nice. I will find something to do. I got the kitchen cupboards cleaned out yesterday, which was nice.

I also got my Reading challenge https://www.challies.com/visual-theology/the-2020-christian-reading-challenge/ printed up and glued into a composition book, ready to be checked off. Hopefully this next year I will be much more successful.  I read 14 books in 2019, which wasn’t as many as I had hoped, and only a few of them were remarkable and of those,  only a couple just grabbed me. 2018 was really a memorable reading year.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

So dh went to a local Walmart, and was surprised that not a single shopping cart had been put in the cart return corral things. They were just strewn around the parking lot - dozens of them. 

(Also, dd21 wants to know if grocery carts are called “buggies” where you live.) 

Some people put them in the corrals (I do), some don’t. This is the Afsa we’re talking about.

No, shopping carts are called shopping carts here. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Yes. And yes, although it's a reasonably even split between buggy and cart.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Most carts get returned here. Also we do call them carts.

• Like 2

Working today, but in a lull right now. Expect it to get busy again in a bit. I'm so glad Christmas is over. I don't know if it reflects on me badly, but I find the non-routine of holidays to be extremely disorienting and stressful. I'm just so much more at ease when I am settled and know exactly what to expect. 

• Like 5

Confession: I usually try to park next to a cart corral. Mostly this is habit these days, it does make returning carts easy. It started back when I always had multiple small children in tow when going shopping; it was easiest to be near the cart corral so I could easily grab a cart and put all the children in it. Keeps them contained when navigating through the parking lot.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Working today, but in a lull right now. Expect it to get busy again in a bit. I'm so glad Christmas is over. I don't know if it reflects on me badly, but I find the non-routine of holidays to be extremely disorienting and stressful. I'm just so much more at ease when I am settled and know exactly what to expect. 

It’s not just you. I feel the same way. I do like the extra time to get caught up on housework, etc. but I am feeling a bit disoriented, too.

• Like 2