Menu

Ignore this thread!

I was up early getting my oldest three kids off to the church, our youth group is driving up to Idaho for a ski trip (apparently there is cheap skiing some place up there, they go every other year).

First time downhill skiing for two of mine and second time for the oldest, I hope at least one of them decides to leave the bunny hill 🙂

I've only been skiing once myself..

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am really confused. A neighbor is apparently six months pregnant. But yesterday I saw her carrying a newborn who was definitely not a premie. And another neighbor said that she hasn’t given birth yet?  So where did she get the baby?  (I am not a good Nancy Drew because I don’t want to ask people questions.)

Rent-a-babies are the best!

I'm ready to give back the rental tween now, though. Nice kid, I'm just ready to get on with my day.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, myblessings4 said:

LOL!  I only went once, and it was with my church youth group.  We went to Wintergreen in Virginia and I was so bad at it!  The only part I really enjoyed was the indoor gathering in the evenings!  I never left the bunny hill.

My aunt took me when I was in college. She let me do the bunny hill once then took me on a regular hill; I hadn't really figured out how to turn so every time I needed to I just fell down. I did a bit better the second time down, fewer falls. 

Then I went to the lodge 🙂

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!,

COFFEE!!!!!!!~D

Saturday!!!!!

We slept in this morning!!! Stayed up late (for us) watching “Legally Blonde”. I needed something cute and funny!!

This morning I’m driving up to the Big City to get fingerprinted. I wasn’t going to mention this yet, but..... y’all are my besties, so, I guess I might as well. I’m applying for a job with our charter school. I was encouraged by a couple of people to do so, and I was sitting in DD’s Enrichment Academy class last Wednesday and thinking, “gee, I miss being in the classroom” but I knew I didn’t want to do it full time. DS is going to Christian School next year and even though we were planning on keeping oldest DD home one more year (for 8th grade), she really wants to go to Christian School and I am ready to send her!! Which would leave the two little ones at home to homeschool, and I would love to be able to devote some time just to them. But, there is not room in the budget for two at Christian School, so if oldest DD is going to go, I need a job. DH is on board with it, especially when he saw how excited I was thinking about it and updating my resume’. So, it would be a win-win all the way around. Anyhow, I had to renew my teaching credential and that means fingerprinting.  I’m trying not to get my hopes up, you know that is. But it is kind of exciting to think about!!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I've been up for a while, just slow getting to my coffee.  I don't have to go anywhere today!  I'm hoping to reclaim a bit of the house and maybe start the tax return.  WILLY-NILLY!!!!

It's a "scared of taxes" booyah!  😬

DH is doing taxes today!!! I don’t touch ‘em!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maize said:

My aunt took me when I was in college. She let me do the bunny hill once then took me on a regular hill; I hadn't really figured out how to turn so every time I needed to I just fell down. I did a bit better the second time down, fewer falls. 

Then I went to the lodge 🙂

I’ve skied a few times in my life. Never enough to get good enough to enjoy it. So, now I don’t ski. It’s an expensive hobby.

• Like 2

I feel like I've been working hard, but don't have a lot to show for my efforts.  I have....

Vacuumed the kitchen
Loaded and started the dishwasher
Took sheets off my bed - I'm washing 2nd load of sheets
Folded two loads of towels
Carried clean laundry from the last millenium upstairs
Swiped half bath
bleached the kitchen sink

I might hit the basement next.  It's not as bad as the first floor, but I want to keep up with it while it's new and fresh.  

I want a lunch break.  But I'm not really hungry yet.  

Maybe some music will get me going again....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Krissi, That's so exciting!  Keep us posted.  😊  If you need any references.....  (wait, what is it we do here?  😂)  Ah, well, maybe you better not ask us.  😜

Dude. We'll call it creative writing and make a class out of it.

• Like 4

So, I just found out this morning that the anthologies I wrote for that were supposed to be out this spring have been pushed back to be published in the fall! Hmmm, I'm trying to figure out what I can realistically complete by May to put on my vendor table in June...

I mean, I already have things planned for the space, but now have to have more, and I was already falling behind on my own deadlines.

Sigh...

I need an assistant that can do little things for me so I can put the big things together. I've hired my daughter, but...things are moving... slower... than planned...I may be a tad stressed...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I feel like I've been working hard, but don't have a lot to show for my efforts.  I have....

Vacuumed the kitchen
Loaded and started the dishwasher
Took sheets off my bed - I'm washing 2nd load of sheets
Folded two loads of towels
Carried clean laundry from the last millenium upstairs
Swiped half bath
bleached the kitchen sink

I might hit the basement next.  It's not as bad as the first floor, but I want to keep up with it while it's new and fresh.  

I want a lunch break.  But I'm not really hungry yet.  

Maybe some music will get me going again....

You have been working very hard. You need some chocolate and a foot massage!!!! Rocco, your services are needed!!!!!

• Like 2

I got livescanned (fingerprinted) and then drove up the street to see my mother-in-law at the rehab place. She's looking much better. We had a nice chat and laughed a lot.  I like my  mother-in-law. She's a good lady.  Now I am home. I don't know what to do with myself today. I want to work outside, but it is kind of rainy. Maybe I should just suck it up and go to the Afsa. Then I don't have to do it tomorrow. I hate the Afsa.  I am feeling kind of at loose ends. Bleh! I'm making a list and going to the Afsa. There. Decision made.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

You have been working very hard. You need some chocolate and a foot massage!!!! Rocco, your services are needed!!!!!

Thank you!

Since then I have also....
dusted and mopped most of the basement
swiped the half bath in the basement
mopped the kitchen and wiped some of the counters
re-made my bed and one other
carried up the rest of the clean laundry
folded another load, started another load
worked on an application for a co-op
avoided the tax return

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Well, thank goodness. I worried about you girly. And, I am proud of you for abiding by the ITT rules against death.

Don't worry about me. I'm a drama queen. If I claim a broken arm you can assume I have a hangnail.

I was really sick though. It was awful. Still am, but normal sickness, not contemplating death sickness.

I'm eating zapps.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

No, you did not!!!! Why are you studying Chinese?

Just because.

Since I work with VIPKID, I get a teacher discount for my daughter to take Chinese classes with the sister company, Lingobus. I was trying to learn alongside her, but, there was too much I wanted/needed to know about the language so I could speak more. I decided to look for classes for myself. A teacher that also teaches on Outschool is also doing private classes with adults, so I hooked up with her.

I've taken about 7 weeks of classes now, practice character recognition and writing with SKritter and HelloChinese, and am going through a couple of Coursera courses and Yo Yo Chinese video course. I've also instituted Mandarin mornings for my daughter and I each morning. During breakfast, we watch a few shows in Chinese and focus to try to catch words we recognize, lol! Gymnast has already picked up things she hasn't learned in class yet! I can ask her what she wants to eat and drink, and she knows how to answer back. I still have along way to go. I'm currently watching a series on Netflix called The Rise of Phoenixes. I watch each episode 3 times - 1st without subtitles, the 2nd with subtitles, and 3rd without again to try to catch more words. It's going to take me forever to get through the episodes!

I'm considering a trip to China eventually, now. But, I'm conflicted because I've always wanted to go to Japan. I may need to plan some international trips...but then I'll need to brush up on Japanese.

That is a lot more information than you asked for. I just like language.

• Like 7

The kids are baking for a youth group bake sale tomorrow, to fund their summer mission trip. Smores brownies was what they chose.

I am a from-scratch baker, but they chose a "recipe" that called for storebought brownie mix, and frankly I didn't want to be taking lead on this because I think it's important they they have ownership--it's their mission trip! So the kitchen is topsy-turvy and they are in charge of cleanup.

We'll individually-wrap them tomorrow AM and then I'll drop them off at the bake sale. (We no longer attend that church, but they loved the youth group so they've stayed involved.)

And I am all done with my workday and entering Sunday Mode!! 😴

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Apparently in my Nyquiled state I told the kids they could do cartwheels in the house and Matt had to explain to them that they can't. I guess I'm the cool parent.

I encourage cartwheels in the house.

Course, I'm also the one who taught my kids to straddle climb doorways and hallways...

Advantages of having an ADHD mom 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Ok, so I mailed my IRL-BFF some books.... Harry Bosch and Mark Twain. I live about 30 miles from her.... she lives in the Big City. I mailed it on Tuesday. First it went south, a couple hundred miles to LA and then it went north several hundred miles to San Francisco and she was just notified that it is on its way to her now. 😂😂😂 What an efficient postal service we have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I went skiing twice.  Both times I was hired as a translator with free skiing thrown in as my pay.  Both times I spent all my time talking to the ski patrol and ambulance drivers and didn't get to ski at all. 

Later I went cross-country skiing.  I was told that it was ok that I had never skied before because cross-country skiing was different.  Then we came to our first hill. . .   

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Good Morning!

I stayed up later than I should have last night, filling in some genealogy stuff. We had a major breakthrough this week and I just had to work on sorting it out 🙂 I'd been using ancestry.com's new ThruLines tool that helps sort DNA relatives by potential common ancestors, I was trying to trace the African ethnicity on my mom's side of the family and had narrowed it down to one family in Kentucky/Indiana (they moved around) because most relatives from that line also tested positive for sub-Saharan African DNA. So I went looking at what we had on those ancestors and it was a mess but then I came across some message board posts by a distant relative who had collected a lot of family history and even a family Bible and we figured out that the problem was two people with the same name living in the same area and previous genealogy researchers had conflated the two and mixed all the family information together. This guy's branch was clearly documented (unlike mine) and best of all there were more than 20 DNA relatives from his branch who match my family so we were able to confirm the connection.

I can't express how exciting this kind of breakthrough is!

We still don't know who the mother of the son my line descends from is, his father has two or three documented marriages (people married young and women especially often died young) but Isaac's birth falls in a gap between known marriages; he just shows up as part of the family on the next census. I'm guessing our African ancestry comes from his mother, she would have been at least 1/4 African based on percentages in descendants, what would have been called mulatto at the time. The family were poor and illiterate so while some oral traditions were passed down there's not much in the way of written records.

Edited by maize
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! I survived the week!

Accomplishments: 

Wrote a long synopsis for my sequel

Wrote a long synopsis for my next book that isn't a sequel in preparation for a rewrite in April.

Didn't die.

Other than that I worked, wrote, and slept, and ate somewhere in there.

Today I am working on my grocery list, and trying not to chew my nails to much over edits that should be back later this week. 

ETA: It's Howdy Booyah time,

It's Howdy Booyah time...

And that's all I know.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 7

Maize, that is very interesting. When I was in high school we had to do family trees for sophomore history class. The area I live has a very heavy Mennonite population (they all moved on here in the 1930’s from Kansas and Oklahoma) and back in the day, Mennonites only married other Mennonites, and the high school I went to was started by Mennonites. (Not Old Order Mennonites or Amish; the Mennonite Brethren don’t have distinctive ways of dress or living). So, 30 years ago and beyond, the majority of the kids at that high school were Mennonites. Anyhow, everyone loved doing that family tree project because invariably you discovered you were related to someone you never knew was a cousin back 3-4 generations ago, and sometimes people even found out they were dating a distant relative.😂

• Like 5