Menu

Ignore this thread!

👋🏼 Hey everybody, happy Sunday.

I did the things, and now I need to do the other things, but my engagement ring has run off somewhere in the night!?! 💍 So I need to look for that first. But on the other hand, I have some lovely library books I haven't even opened yet. Maybe I can read for a while first.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, maize said:

Good Morning!

I stayed up later than I should have last night, filling in some genealogy stuff. We had a major breakthrough this week and I just had to work on sorting it out 🙂 I'd been using ancestry.com's new ThruLines tool that helps sort DNA relatives by potential common ancestors, I was trying to trace the African ethnicity on my mom's side of the family and had narrowed it down to one family in Kentucky/Indiana (they moved around) because most relatives from that line also tested positive for sub-Saharan African DNA. So I went looking at what we had on those ancestors and it was a mess but then I came across some message board posts by a distant relative who had collected a lot of family history and even a family Bible and we figured out that the problem was two people with the same name living in the same area and previous genealogy researchers had conflated the two and mixed all the family information together. This guy's branch was clearly documented (unlike mine) and best of all there were more than 20 DNA relatives from his branch who match my family so we were able to confirm the connection.

I can't express how exciting this kind of breakthrough is!

We still don't know who the mother of the son my line descends from is, his father has two or three documented marriages (people married young and women especially often died young) but Isaac's birth falls in a gap between known marriages; he just shows up as part of the family on the next census. I'm guessing our African ancestry comes from his mother, she would have been at least 1/4 African based on percentages in descendants, what would have been called mulatto at the time. The family were poor and illiterate so while some oral traditions were passed down there's not much in the way of written records.

**I have no idea what happened with this post, posting different times and each one different! The third one is correct..**

Genealogy is addicting. Very few of my family has done the DNA, and there are a lot of holes to work around. 

Edited by Renai
weird stuff happening
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, maize said:

Good Morning!

I stayed up later than I should have last night, filling in some genealogy stuff. We had a major breakthrough this week and I just had to work on sorting it out 🙂 I'd been using ancestry.com's new ThruLines tool that helps sort DNA relatives by potential common ancestors, I was trying to trace the African ethnicity on my mom's side of the family and had narrowed it down to one family in Kentucky/Indiana (they moved around) because most relatives from that line also tested positive for sub-Saharan African DNA. So I went looking at what we had on those ancestors and it was a mess but then I came across some message board posts by a distant relative who had collected a lot of family history and even a family Bible and we figured out that the problem was two people with the same name living in the same area and previous genealogy researchers had conflated the two and mixed all the family information together. This guy's branch was clearly documented (unlike mine) and best of all there were more than 20 DNA relatives from his branch who match my family so we were able to confirm the connection.

We still don't know who the mother of the son my line descends from is, his father has two or three documented marriages (people married young and women especially often died young) but Isaac's birth falls in a gap between known marriages; he just shows up as part of the family on the next census. I'm guessing our African ancestry comes from his mother, she would have been at least 1/4 African based on percentages in descendants, what would have been called mulatto at the time. The family were poor and illiterate so while some oral traditions were passed down there's not much in the way of written records.

**AND here it is again...**

Genealogy is addicting! I love working Very few of my family has done the DNA, and there are a lot of holes to work around. I'm the main genealogist right now. My mom passed it on to me. I do it as I can, and I try to get to it at least once a month. Our vacation last summer helped clarify a few things, but with people dying and others raising kids as their own, it sure gets confusing. 

Edited by Renai
duplicate
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, maize said:

Good Morning!

**THIS IS THE REAL POST**

Genealogy is addicting! I love working on it! Very few of my family has done the DNA though, and there are a lot of holes to work around. I'm the main genealogist right now. My mom passed it on to me. I do it as I can, and I try to get to it at least once a month. Our vacation last summer helped clarify a few things, but with people dying and others raising kids as their own, it sure gets confusing. 

Edited by Renai
sigh...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

So what is ancestry.com like?  Can you join it and poke around and see if your relatives are on there without putting in a lot of personal information?  How does it work?

I've been on here so long, I don't remember what information was needed in order to find relatives.

(on here, off and on)

Edited by Renai
clarify
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

So what is ancestry.com like?  Can you join it and poke around and see if your relatives are on there without putting in a lot of personal information?  How does it work?

You don't have to give personal information, other than what is required to process a credit card. None of it has to be public.

There may be a free trial?

You do have to be careful when looking at family trees others have built (those who have chosen to make their trees public)--just because someone says your great-great grandpa was the son of person A doesn't make it so. Always check source records and decide for yourself.

DNA confirmation is a great thing when you can get it!

• Like 1

I just finished editing a short story about magical standardized testing and sent it out to a magazine. It's been the dark ages since I did this, back when Courier was the rage, and you had to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your paper submission. 

Now, I wait. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

You can do a free 2-week trial, which I have done twice.  🏆

Basically, you pick a "base" person.  That's not the word for it.  I picked my oldest child so I could include my side of the family and dh's side of the family on the same tree.  You put in full names and birthdates and birth places of all your relatives/parents/grandparents, or as much as you know.  Then the  ancestry database searches other trees to see if there are identical people in your trees.  They also search immigration records, birth/death/marriage records, military records, census records, etc. for people you have listed in your tree.  

The free trial doesn't include internation records, only US.  My family and dh's family have only been in the US since the early 1900's, so there's only so much we can do with it in terms of official birth and death records.  But we have found occassional connections from trees made by people in Norway and Germany.  Eventually we may have ds do the DNA thing, and try the Super Duper Ancestry package that includes foreign records and documents.

There is another interesting website/service run by the LDS, which is free to use and does essentially the same thing as Ancestry.com.  I'll see if I can find the name.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I did the 14 day free trial. But I stupidly chose a time when I was super busy so didn’t get too much out of it. 

I did my trial when I wasn't super busy, and by the end of 14 days I didn't want to look at it any more.  So I'm hoping enough time will go by before I want to do any more with it that I can get another free trial. :biggrin:  

• Like 2

I paid some bills. Now I gotta walk down to the mail box and post them. 

I still need to plant my planties.

We have a Church business meeting to go to in an hour. I hate church business meetings. But, as a responsible church member, we go to church business meetings.

• Like 1

I cooked steak, mashed taters, broccoli, and mushrooms. Baked blueberry muffins for dessert. Now I can't move because stuffed.

I need to dispense the algebra books and figure out literature for tomorrow but I am exhausted. It's bedtime somewhere, isn't it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

How about some lemon bars?? I just took them out of the oven and they smell divine!

Yes!  I'm there!  

1 hour ago, egao_gakari said:

Oh boy Krissi, I want lemon bars SO BADLY now. 🤤

One very excited DD11 is off with Dad and BFF to see WWE live! DS is out at a sleepover! I have the house to myself!

...What do I even do?

That's awesome!  Just sit on the couch and enjoy the quiet.  Unless you have chocolate.  Or lemon bars.  Then you should eat them all.  alone.  

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

I want brownies!

We're home from NYC and the museum.  We met up with dd's online friend and her mom.  It went great, no awkwardness and the girls had a great time.  But my feet are KILLING me.  The museum has stone floors, lots of steps, and it was a long day.

Yay for online friends!

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

I should be setting up school for the kids but I really just want to take a nap.  Or put on headphones and watch last week's Supernatural.  Dh is watching Duke play basketball.  I don't even feel like I have the energy to read.

I should write planners too.  Don't wanna.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I cooked steak, mashed taters, broccoli, and mushrooms. Baked blueberry muffins for dessert. Now I can't move because stuffed.

I need to dispense the algebra books and figure out literature for tomorrow but I am exhausted. It's bedtime somewhere, isn't it?

Yummy!!  Literature tomorrow?  FREE READ!  😜

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I don’t suppose, with two hungry Turtles, you have any leftovers?  😍

• Like 2

I watched the latest Supernatural, then an episode of Buffy, then went to youtube to watch videos of music set to scenes from Supernatural, Buffy and Marvel.  One of my favorite things to do to relax.  And found a video from Dokken doing the Dream Warriors song.  Anyone else remember that movie?  Nightmare on Elm Street 3.  

I also have been watching videos of 70's songs.  One Tin Solider.  Didn't know that was from a tv show or a movie, not sure which it is. Billy Jack.  

Edited by Where's Toto?

I’m back. Plants are planted and snail bait is dispersed. We went to the Church business meeting. It was only an hour and 40 minutes this time instead of  2 1/2 hours like last time.😩😩 It was good. I guess. I am now officially on the Awana Committee. My church is infamous for its committees. I hate meetings, but you do learn some interesting things.  

And this weekend was kind of sad in that yesterday one of our church members passed away.... she was one of my Pioneer Girls leaders when I was a girl and I really liked her. And then today another church member passed... he was a close friend of my parents and one of our church leaders. The lady had MS and had been doing poorly for years, but the man just found out he had stage 4 lung cancer a month ago, he was put on comfort care at the end of last week and passed away this afternoon. 

• Sad 6

March Madness continues!

Ds18 and I have followed the tournament yearly; this is the first year that we entered official brackets on ESPN.  (You have to be 18+, so I waited until he was old enough to officially do his own.)   On several of my brackets I predicted 14 out of the 16 teams to make it to the Sweet Sixteen round.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1